Start by marking “The Atomic Sea: Volume One (The Atomic Sea, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Atomic Sea: Volume One (The Atomic Sea, #1)

The Atomic Sea: Volume One

(The Atomic Sea #1)

Epic adventure in a strange world by bestselling author Jack Conner. A thousand years ago, the sea began to change, and the change spread. Now the boiling, toxic, lightning-wreathed Atomic Sea has encompassed every ocean on the planet, and the creatures that live in it have become mutated and unnatural. The sea's taint can infect any human who comes in contact with it or w ...more
Published December 2nd 2014 by Allen Wise (first published December 1st 2014)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fantasy and epic adventures
Believe me when I tell you that you have never read a book like this one. The blurb describes it as "an epic adventure in a strange world." Epic adventure? Definitely. Strange world? The world Conner has created is beyond strange. And it's pretty amazing. There is no way to describe it really. It made me think of both Jules Verne and the 1930s/1940s adventure movies I used to love watching as a kid.

The Atomic Sea is a crazy mix of fantasy, adventure, mystery, espionage and warfare. Throw in aci
Gary Allen
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
This review is more about what this book is missing. It is missing background material. Like how did this planet get so environmentally unfriendly, why are the bad guys trying to take over the world, who are the good guys, and on and on and on. Reading this book is like coming into the theater half way through the movie. OK this was a free download from Amazon so that just goes to prove the old adage - you get what you pay for.
Bogdan
If you`re interested in a Lovecraft fantasy adventure set in a toxic and dark future this will be a perfect reading for you.

Great, great, work...

There is more to this book than Jules Verne and Lovecraft inspiration...if you love China Mieville`s, Perdido Street Station or the Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding, then this is for you...

I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it...

Maybe the start is kinda slow but, the writing has what it takes to keep the flame alive until the end...

Some
Adrian
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
My rating: 2.5 stars
Audiobook narrator Ray Greenley rating: 3.5 stars

This audiobook was gifted to me by the narrator in order to receive an honest review. This fantasy book certainly paints an interesting world of giant creatures, mutants, and a bleak war-torn nation. There were many parts of the book that I did enjoy, but I could not really get into it for some reason. I think there were too many characters initially which confused me and certain elements were not well defined.

I enjoyed the nar
edifanob
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2014-reads
This is a great mix of fantasy, science fiction, steampunk, murder mystery, action adventure, religion and a dash of post apocalyptic.

It is full of action, fast paced and mysteries.

I would have like it more with less religious stuff.
Allyson Grove
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Read

This is not my typical read. I bought because it sounded interesting and I liked the cover. It took a little bit to get rolling but then it started flowing better for me. I'd like to know more about the world and it's gods . I'll be picking up book 2 soon. Overall it was a decent and interesting read.
American Andriod
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goood

Goood is the morning I have a to get a good to get it to my house and get to my
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Susan
The Atomic Sea Vol. 1 by Jack Conner In a future Earth, the seas have become tainted with a mix of radiation, mutated dangerous sea life, and who knows what else. This taint can affect humans who eat affected seafood or fall into the oceans. Small nations of humans survive, but war is imminent. Dr. Avery, aboard a Ghenisian military whaling ship, stumbles upon espionage and perhaps something more when a mysterious unconscious woman is brought aboard.
This was a crazy cool mix of mutated sea beast
Amie's Book Reviews

Genre: Science Fiction

Release Date: April 6, 2015

Publisher: Jack Conner

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

THE ATOMIC SEA is a very unique and interesting audiobook.

Dr. Avery is a medical doctor on board a Navy whaling ship that travels the Atomic Sea.

The Atomic Sea is exactly what it sounds like. The water is toxic and humans cannot even be exposed to the air or they w
Robert Defrank
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tentacles ahoy!

I wanted to give this book five stars, but some minor quirks of style knocked it down to four.

I started reading and found I had consumed this book almost before I knew it. I was swept along so completely by the momentum and the pacing, with each new chapter shedding a little more light on this strange world. From the opening pages where we are introduced to our hero, Dr. Frances Avery, on a whaling ship in the Atomic Sea, we are fed tantalizing morsels of backstory. About the stra
Marie Michaels
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
(disclaimer: I entered a giveaway and received an e-book copy of this book)

This book is a bit uneven, but what it does well it does quite well. The setting is quite original--quasi-fantasy, quasi-steampunk, quasi-urban, quasi-nautical. The Atomic Sea alone is such a cool concept; I'd read another book just on the origin of that. There's clearly a lot of thought that's gone into the world-building, and while the info dumping gets a bit heavy, it's interesting enough that I didn't mind. The world
Tom Leeland
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Review i wrote fo author Jack Conner

rhl "rtleeland" (This review is from: The Atomic Sea: Volume One: An Epic Fantasy / Science Fiction Adventure (Kindle Edition)

Yet another well told, vibrant and detailed world created and written into a easy flowing tale by Jack Conner. Not once have i a been let down by this authors descriptive, imaginative and world encompassing ability to tell a story. This tale serves up a delicious platter of characters that I was able to devour and care about. This ca
Chris
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a strange world and even stranger characters Mr. Conner has created for this book. Sometimes you'd think you were on earth but in the next sentence or paragraph you'd suddenly realize there's no way this could be taking place on earth. A world with giant mutated whales, flying octopi and about every kind of mutant you could imagine. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the 2nd volume.
Carl Schoonover
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Radiation creates hellish world for human existence.

Jack Conner has used his vast imagination to create a nightmarish world formed from a topically contaminated sea which has mutated a vast number of the populace of the planet. Vivid imagery relates the adventures of a doctor and a small group of humans and mutants as they attempt to bring an end to a war that the re atened
Angie Anderson
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was wildly imaginative, fantastical. Set in a new world polluted by extra dimensional beings to survive after they destroy their own world. They in turn pollute Docs world, turning people and animals into mutants. Animals and bugs are big, scary, and insane. People turn into fish people. One big adventure. Can't wait for Volume TWO.
Sean McCoy
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!

The author delivered an interesting and fascinating world with bold and memorable characters. I found the writing compelling, a real page turner.
Melody Johnson
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Lots of action, a bit of mystery and some sort of romance. I have got to say it's a great read. Already on the second book.
Bill Davis
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This tale would have been more enjoyable if the author cut out the superstitious religious crapola.
Karl Ljungberg
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers who needs a twist
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This isn't going to be a very long review. Since this is merely part 1 of a much longer series, complete with cliffhanger endings, I can't really judge the story as a whole. Obviously it doesn't have an ending and thus a huge chunk of the story is missing. As for what is there, it's... okay, I guess?

I'm not a big fan of fantasy stories. And while the urge to label this sci-fi is strong, it bears all the hallmarks of a fantasy story; a strange world filled to the brim with fantastical creatures,
Mike
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The author created an interesting mythos that combines Dungeons and Dragons with the World War II era technology. However at times he's overly descriptive to the point that the story drags and I found myself wishing he'd get to the point. The epilogue at the end was unnecessary and actually detracted from suspense he created at the end of last chapter. I don't plan on seeking out the remaining volumes to see how the story ends.
Mark
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: steampunk enthusiasts
Recommended to Mark by: Promotion
Like something a bit different? This is a steampunk /fantasy novel set in a world where a war is going on, where they are using overwhelming force and secret arcane practices to defeat and often destroy all enemies. It is full of zepellins, and steam driven machines. I enjoyed the excellent storyline. I was able to read this as a promotion by the author. I will be reading more of his books in the future.
Melinda
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Adventure Story

Spies, wars and unlikely heroes all set in a world pulling itself apart, populated by gruesome sea monsters, vicious mutants and religious zealots with bleeding edge weapons, and multidimensional tech. Good thumping read!
Elaine Plourde
The book was o.k. but it really wasn't my type of reading. I could barely read the names of the characters and it was way too much fantasy for me.
Lyn Ducich
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Congratulations!

I don't normally enjoy stories with lots of battles, but I did enjoy this book, enough to get part 2.
Ifor
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Not my usual fare, but l really did enjoy this book. Good story well edited. Recommended, give it a go, it's worth it.
aug
Aug 28, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
goood
Scott
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd book but a short read. Interesting take on a steampunk/post-apocalypse vibe.
John
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Meh. Not much there. Little background information as to why the world is in such dire straights.
Jeff D
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes from the sample, but I just could not engage or finish this book
« previous 1 3 next »

• Prime Suspects: A Clone Detective Mystery
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • Halfskin (Halfskin, #1)
  • Starbound
  • Pale Rider: Zombies versus Dinosaurs
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • Below Mercury
  • Romulus Buckle & the Luminiferous Aether (Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, #3)
  • Pirate's Vengeance (The Djinn Kingdom #1)
  • The Brass Giant
  • Ink: A Mermaid Romance (Falling in Deep Collection)
  • Bad Vibrations (The Sedona Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sky People (Lords of Creation, #1)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • Vosper's Revenge (Dragon Stone Saga #3)
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Renaissance (Rogue Angel, #1-3)
Raised in Austin, Texas, Jack Conner is the bestselling author of the Black Tower Trilogy. He's an ardent fan of fantasy, horror and weird fiction, and writes them all. He's lived all over the United States and has traveled across the world, but recently he's moved back to his beloved Austin.

The Atomic Sea (10 books)
  • The Atomic Sea: Volume Two (The Atomic Sea, #2)
  • The Atomic Sea: Volume Three (The Atomic Sea, #3)
  • The Atomic Sea: Volume Four (The Atomic Sea, #4)
  • The Atomic Sea: Volume Five (The Atomic Sea, #5)
  • The Atomic Sea: Part Six (The Atomic Sea #6)
  • The Atomic Sea: Part Seven (The Atomic Sea #7)
  • The Atomic Sea: Part Eight: In the World Below (The Atomic Sea #8)
  • The Atomic Sea: Part Nine (The Atomic Sea #9)
  • The Atomic Sea: Part Ten (The Atomic Sea, #10)
“Ibrignon Peace and Love, the archway read. Its rusted, pitted surface glistened in the rain, the letters bleak and false to Avery’s eyes. A road led into the little cemetery, but evidently the cabbie dared not take it.” 2 likes
“Avery stiffened. “Yes?” Unconsciously he moved closer to Layanna, only to find that she had moved off and was inspecting the room. “May I be of assistance?” “Horax told me his friend was a doctor, but you ... didn’t you say you were a salesperson?” Avery adjusted his collar. “Ah, yes ... about that ...” The captain waved it away. “Save it. Tell me what the fuck happened here.” His eyes speared the wreckage.” 1 likes