Start by marking “Disney Frozen: A Frozen Heart” as Want to Read:
Disney Frozen: A Frozen Heart

Disney Frozen: A Frozen Heart

Told in alternating chapters from both Anna's and Hans' perspectives, A Frozen Heart takes a sophisticated look at events of Frozen, exploring the couple's backstories, motivations, and doomed relationship.
Published October 13th 2015 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Disney Frozen, please sign up.
Daniiiii YES its great is based off of Frozen but just more detailed and goes into the background of different characters and why they did that stuff and who l…moreYES its great is based off of Frozen but just more detailed and goes into the background of different characters and why they did that stuff and who lead them to that point(less)
Maleficent by Elizabeth RudnickFairest of All by Serena ValentinoThe Beast Within by Serena ValentinoBeauty and the Beast by Jennifer DonnellyDisney Frozen by Elizabeth Rudnick
Disney Novels
121 books — 32 voters
Disney Frozen by Elizabeth RudnickDisney Frozen by Walt Disney CompanyFrozen 2 by Kamilla BenkoConceal, Don't Feel by Jen CalonitaThe Art of Frozen by Charles Solomon
Frozen books
101 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Disney Frozen: A Frozen Heart
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
I was thirteen whenever this movie hit theaters and i watched it four times in a row per day… Everyday i would always hear Anna singing "Do you want to build a snowman?" or "Love is an open door!" reading this book brought back childhood memories but i was not like i expected and it was everything like the movie with maybe a few simple changes here and there.

This book was a particularly slow read for me and i am not sure why because i read pretty quick if i set my mind to it but i think Hans s
Shirley Cuypers
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
Original review
Dutch review

Told from the perspective of Anna and Hans, A Frozen Heart goes about Anna and her sister Elsa. Elsa has special powers, namely she can create ice/snow. Anna didn't know about this until the coronation of Elsa. Anna meets Hans at the coronation of Elsa and she wanted to say yes immediately when he asked to marry her. Anna wanted to ask Elsa's permission and that went bad. Elsa creates an eternal winter in Arendelle and runs away. Can Anna convince her sister to com
Jillian -always aspiring-
I need this book like air itself. NEED.
Matthew
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please please please an Elsa and Kristoff one
Jessica Saylor
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book because I loved Frozen. But it isn't a retelling, or a story that goes into a lot more detail like I was hoping, although you do get a little more information about Hans in the beginning. It's really just a book version of the movie even down to most of the same dialogue. As a mom who has seen the movie more times than I can count, it made this a read that kind of wasted my time. For a little girl obsessed with the movie though, this might be just the thing!
Kel Wagner
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I want to say one thing first:

I LOVE FROZEN.

Alright, let us continue.

The writing was brilliantly done. The characters that it centered around were accurately depicted. Sadly, it's basically of a novelization of the movie.

The book was just, in a single word, disappointing.

Now, I DO understand what this novel was supposed to be about; the hero and the villain. That's Anna and Hans. Their motives, their backstories, their thoughts. I get it.

I love Anna, I really do, but I found her entire side to
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
{3.5 stars.}
And I thought the beginning of the Movie hurt my heart.
Ha.
This book starts off with Anna,5, and The Accident™. Anna walks up after with all of Elsa's stuff missing from their room, not understanding what's going on, the poor girl.
A few chapters in, it goes to Ten Years Later and introduces Hans,17. It ends that section with Anna getting the news that her parents are gone, then three years later and the main start of the movie starts in this book.
So, this book kinda hurt my heart li
Amy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely the best book I've read so far in 2016! Disney stole my heart. ♡
Abigail
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I cannot express how much I love the Frozen franchise and this book brought that home for me
Paige
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Honestly bumped this up a rating because it’s Frozen and I love all things Frozen but otherwise it was pretty boring and almost like reading the movie, but not in a good way. Also it was one of the worst produced audiobooks I’ve listened to. The narrator sounded different time to time and the editing was so obvious.
Jillyn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oh dear. This definitely wasn't what I anticipated. I was so excited when I saw that this book was coming out. I adore Disney films, and though I don't think Frozen deserved quite all the hype that it got, I still enjoyed it well enough. I was eager to read Frozen Heart because I thought maybe it would explore the world of Anna and Elsa with a bit more depth and complexity... But that wasn't the case.

This book follows the movie almost to a tee. There is one character who gets a bit more insight
Olivia
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have a confession to make. I've only seen "Frozen" once while I was on a plane jet-lagged. From what I remember of the movie I liked it. I figured that since I haven't seen the movie I should read the novelization and then re-watch it.

Writing a novel based off of a movie is a difficult task. You have to closely adhere to the movie script yet make the story your own and not quote the movie line by line. Rudnick did manage to accomplish this I'll give her that.

The writing for the most part was d
Amy
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was like reading the movie! It wasn't exactly line for line (which made it feel like it's own story instead of just a kind of retelling) and it was really interesting to see the protagonist and antagonists' point of view.

We all know the story of Frozen (if not, I highly recommend going and just buying it because you will watch it a few dozen times). In the story, we see the "love story" of Anna and Hans, told in alternating point of view chapters. I really enjoyed seeing things from Hans'
Alex
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alright, so this book was really good, but it was merely a retelling of Frozen with more Hans and less singing.

It finally gave an insight (and confirmed some headcanons) on Hans' background and motive, but there was no point of view for Kristoff or Elsa.

And mostly, the Anna chapters were the plot line of the movie. We knew most of it.

It was still a really good book, and I mean, Hans, so...
Liza Koppens
Shirin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3 to 4 stars, I'm not entirely sure at the moment. I liked it but it didn't really "Wow!" me or anything. I reckon having watched the movie does take away from the experience, but it was still an entertaining book.

---

A Frozen Heart is the tale of Anna and Hans and their relationship. Anna's miserable relationship with her sister, Elsa, is worsened when Hans comes into the picture. Hans and Anna want to marry, but Elsa doesn't approve, and from there on problems drop like snow falls on Russia. A
Suzii
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
(I should note that I received this as an ARC from my local bookstore.) If you want to read the novelization of Disney's Frozen then this is the book for you! Honestly I was a little disappointed with this ARC as I thought is was another in the series that Disney was putting out where the villains win. Other than that it was okay, I've mostly gotten past my Frozen mania. I would have enjoyed it more if it had either been released soon after the movie, or hadn't followed it almost down to a T. It ...more
Lindsey
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie. I very much enjoyed this expansion on the lore of frozen. I've been a fan since the movie came out, and Elsa has always been one of my favorites. Mostly because get ice powers are a metaphor for anxiety. This story is told in alternating POV of Anna and Hans. It makes Anna more relatable and understandable as to her being naive. And Hans.... we get a crash course on why he's so.... cold. His upbringing. Not just him, his entire family is pretty much garbage. And when I say ...more
Kristen
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay. This book was cute. I like Frozen, but part of the time I felt like I was just watching the movie. I was hoping for a little more background on other characters. I loved learning Hans background, but we pretty much already knew a lot of what was covered on Anna. I want to know more about Kristoff too. Still, if you love Frozen, you will love this book! ❄️
Natalie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well... basically it was like reading the movie but with some insight into Hans. I still hate him. I would rather it be in Elsa's POV. This is a cute book for a kid, but not me. I'll give it to my niece.
India
Nov 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I actually couldn't finish this book. I just didn't find it well written.
Jerry
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun and surprisingly well-written novelization of the recent Disney blockbuster.
ElsaMakotoRenge
It’s a Frozen book, and I love Frozen, so I enjoyed it. I do think this is one of the weaker Frozen chapter books though, hence the 4 stars and not 5. Unless you’re really, really into Frozen and just want to read all the Frozen books you can find, I’d suggest giving A Frozen Heart a skip and go for the Twisted Tales book Conceal Don’t Feel, or Forest of Shadows.

I do not give one little crap about Hans, so half this book (and all of the new content not included in the movie) being from his POV d
Elizabeth Anne Andrews
Written in alternating chapters, A Frozen Heart, is the story of Anna and Hans's relationship.

I recommend for ages 10+.

This really didn't leave much of an impression on me. It was a fun read, but I don't feel any differently about any of the characters or the story in general.

I think I would have liked it more if I didn't know how it ended. But if I didn't know how it ended, Hans parts wouldn't work.

And now I just dislike Hans more, after hearing his side of the story. He is such a whine-ball.
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Full Review:
I wasn't sure how to rate this and eventually settled on 3 stars because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the writing---It's clear and easy to read (middle grade-ish since, well, it's Frozen in book form, but not immature)---and the plot and characters are the same as they are in the movie, so, while I may not love everything about that, that's more a gripe with the movie than this book.

My issue was that this didn't feel genuine. I know there's a lot of Hans hate, but I a
Hope
Warning: There are spoilers for the movie Frozen enclosed, but, since this is basically a retelling of the movie, there are some spoilers for the book too.

Confession: I've never been the hugest fan of Frozen. I mean, it's good, but I'm one of those people who believe Tangled was a better movie and thus should have gotten all the attention. But it's okay. I'm not salty at all.

In conclusion, I suffer from comparison.

I added this book to my tbr eons ago and, since I now have this Kindle Unlimited
Ivy
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: don-t-bother
Very light retelling of Disney's Frozen from Hans and Anna's perspective. Interestingly enough I found Hans' perspective noteworthy because, although we all know he is evil, it shed light into his own frozen heart and explains the motives that led to his dark plans. Elsa and Kristoff are basically relegated to supporting characters and because of this, the book itself becomes a little uninteresting once Anna begins her adventures with Kristoff.

The whole Hans angle doesn't really work because ou
Fernanda Fadel
I was expecting a re-interpretation ("twisted-tale") of the story as other disney books that have come out recently. But this one is a novelization of the movie basically (even though it doesn't say anywhere int he book), with emphasis on the point of view of Anna and Hans. And maybe with a tiny bit more background story than the film.
The author overuses the cliches from Frozen (such as "let it go" and "opened/closed door") and it gets annoying. Some parts were also too cheesy.
But then, after I
Hannah
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, so this book was amazing! I loved getting hear the story from different perspectives, and when I first started reading it I had pretty low expectations, but in the end, Disney is Disney. And I love Disney! (Wow so many 'disneys') Some of the books I've been reading recently, I felt like I was reading them just to be able to say I've read them, and I wasn't truly enjoying them and soaking up the story. I decided to read a book I had been interested in reading for awhile and I'm so glad I di ...more
Patty Presley
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereadable
It's a very cute book that is based on Frozen. All events in Frozen are included, however this book is told in 2 points of view. Those are those of Anna and Hans. The chapters skip. One Anna, one Hans, etc through the book.
It is nice to learn more about Hans's background and the Southern Isles and I loved getting inside Anna's mind too. The movie, I think, is in Elsa's pov. or a limited version of Anna's.
You see some new stuff from Kristoff too and that's interesting.

Would I reread? Yes
Would I

• Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • Frozen: The Junior Novelization
  • All Hail the Queen (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #1)
  • Memory and Magic (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #2)
  • Disney Frozen: Phantoms of Arendelle
  • Have Courage, Be Kind: The Tale of Cinderella
  • Aladdin: Far from Agrabah
  • Evil Thing (Villains, #7)
  • Disney Frozen: Frozen Fever (Junior Novelization)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Reflection
  • Descendants 3 Junior Novel
  • Once Upon a Dream
  • The Unfairest of Them All (Ever After High, #2)
  • So This is Love
  • Disney Descendants: Mal's Diary
  • Descendants: Mal's Spell Book
his is the part I'm always the worst at—talking about myself! So as you've figured out, my name is Elizabeth Rudnick and I'm a young adult author. I'm also a Senior Editor at Disney Press in New York City. I've edited books based on movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia as well as Miley Cyrus's memoir, Miles to Go, which was a New York Times bestseller (imagine if Tweet Heart w ...more