Start by marking “A Frozen Heart” as Want to Read:
A Frozen Heart

A Frozen Heart

Told in alternating chapters from both Anna's and Hans' perspectives, A Frozen Heart takes a sophisticated look at events of Frozen, exploring the couple's backstories, motivations, and doomed relationship.
Published October 13th 2015 by Disney Press

Fairest of All by Serena ValentinoThe Beast Within by Serena ValentinoMaleficent by Elizabeth RudnickPoor Unfortunate Soul by Serena ValentinoA Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick
Disney Novels
106 books — 16 voters
A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth RudnickThe Art of Frozen by Charles SolomonFrozen by Sarah NathanFrozen Big Golden Book by Walt Disney CompanyMemory and Magic by Erica David
Frozen books
101 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
I was thirteen whenever this movie hit theaters and i watched it four times in a row per day… Everyday i would always hear Anna singing "Do you want to build a snowman?" or "Love is an open door!" reading this book brought back childhood memories but i was not like i expected and it was everything like the movie with maybe a few simple changes here and there.

This book was a particularly slow read for me and i am not sure why because i read pretty quick if i set my mind to it but i think Hans s
Shirley Cuypers
Original review
Dutch review

Told from the perspective of Anna and Hans, A Frozen Heart goes about Anna and her sister Elsa. Elsa has special powers, namely she can create ice/snow. Anna didn't know about this until the coronation of Elsa. Anna meets Hans at the coronation of Elsa and she wanted to say yes immediately when he asked to marry her. Anna wanted to ask Elsa's permission and that went bad. Elsa creates an eternal winter in Arendelle and runs away. Can Anna convince her sister to come
Jillian -always aspiring-
I need this book like air itself. NEED.
Kel Wagner
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I want to say one thing first:

I LOVE FROZEN.

Alright, let us continue.

The writing was brilliantly done. The characters that it centered around were accurately depicted. Sadly, it's basically of a novelization of the movie.

The book was just, in a single word, disappointing.

Now, I DO understand what this novel was supposed to be about; the hero and the villain. That's Anna and Hans. Their motives, their backstories, their thoughts. I get it.

I love Anna, I really do, but I found her entire side to
Jessica Saylor
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book because I loved Frozen. But it isn't a retelling, or a story that goes into a lot more detail like I was hoping, although you do get a little more information about Hans in the beginning. It's really just a book version of the movie even down to most of the same dialogue. As a mom who has seen the movie more times than I can count, it made this a read that kind of wasted my time. For a little girl obsessed with the movie though, this might be just the thing!
Matthew
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please please please an Elsa and Kristoff one
Amy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely the best book I've read so far in 2016! Disney stole my heart. ♡
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
{3.5 stars.}
And I thought the beginning of the Movie hurt my heart.
Ha.
This book starts off with Anna,5, and The Accident™. Anna walks up after with all of Elsa's stuff missing from their room, not understanding what's going on, the poor girl.
A few chapters in, it goes to Ten Years Later and introduces Hans,17. It ends that section with Anna getting the news that her parents are gone, then three years later and the main start of the movie starts in this book.
So, this book kinda hurt my heart li
Olivia
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have a confession to make. I've only seen "Frozen" once while I was on a plane jet-lagged. From what I remember of the movie I liked it. I figured that since I haven't seen the movie I should read the novelization and then re-watch it.

Writing a novel based off of a movie is a difficult task. You have to closely adhere to the movie script yet make the story your own and not quote the movie line by line. Rudnick did manage to accomplish this I'll give her that.

The writing for the most part was d
Jillyn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oh dear. This definitely wasn't what I anticipated. I was so excited when I saw that this book was coming out. I adore Disney films, and though I don't think Frozen deserved quite all the hype that it got, I still enjoyed it well enough. I was eager to read Frozen Heart because I thought maybe it would explore the world of Anna and Elsa with a bit more depth and complexity... But that wasn't the case.

This book follows the movie almost to a tee. There is one character who gets a bit more insight
Amy
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was like reading the movie! It wasn't exactly line for line (which made it feel like it's own story instead of just a kind of retelling) and it was really interesting to see the protagonist and antagonists' point of view.

We all know the story of Frozen (if not, I highly recommend going and just buying it because you will watch it a few dozen times). In the story, we see the "love story" of Anna and Hans, told in alternating point of view chapters. I really enjoyed seeing things from Hans'
Alex
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alright, so this book was really good, but it was merely a retelling of Frozen with more Hans and less singing.

It finally gave an insight (and confirmed some headcanons) on Hans' background and motive, but there was no point of view for Kristoff or Elsa.

And mostly, the Anna chapters were the plot line of the movie. We knew most of it.

It was still a really good book, and I mean, Hans, so...
Shirin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3 to 4 stars, I'm not entirely sure at the moment. I liked it but it didn't really "Wow!" me or anything. I reckon having watched the movie does take away from the experience, but it was still an entertaining book.

---

A Frozen Heart is the tale of Anna and Hans and their relationship. Anna's miserable relationship with her sister, Elsa, is worsened when Hans comes into the picture. Hans and Anna want to marry, but Elsa doesn't approve, and from there on problems drop like snow falls on Russia. A
Suzii
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
(I should note that I received this as an ARC from my local bookstore.) If you want to read the novelization of Disney's Frozen then this is the book for you! Honestly I was a little disappointed with this ARC as I thought is was another in the series that Disney was putting out where the villains win. Other than that it was okay, I've mostly gotten past my Frozen mania. I would have enjoyed it more if it had either been released soon after the movie, or hadn't followed it almost down to a T. It ...more
Natalie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well... basically it was like reading the movie but with some insight into Hans. I still hate him. I would rather it be in Elsa's POV. This is a cute book for a kid, but not me. I'll give it to my niece.
Jerry
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun and surprisingly well-written novelization of the recent Disney blockbuster.
India
Nov 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I actually couldn't finish this book. I just didn't find it well written.
Future Slayer Girl
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie. I very much enjoyed this expansion on the lore of frozen. I've been a fan since the movie came out, and Elsa has always been one of my favorites. Mostly because get ice powers are a metaphor for anxiety. This story is told in alternating POV of Anna and Hans. It makes Anna more relatable and understandable as to her being naive. And Hans.... we get a crash course on why he's so.... cold. His upbringing. Not just him, his entire family is pretty much garbage. And when I say ...more
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Full Review:
I wasn't sure how to rate this and eventually settled on 3 stars because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the writing---It's clear and easy to read (middle grade-ish since, well, it's Frozen in book form, but not immature)---and the plot and characters are the same as they are in the movie, so, while I may not love everything about that, that's more a gripe with the movie than this book.

My issue was that this didn't feel genuine. I know there's a lot of Hans hate, but I a
Ivy
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: don-t-bother
Very light retelling of Disney's Frozen from Hans and Anna's perspective. Interestingly enough I found Hans' perspective noteworthy because, although we all know he is evil, it shed light into his own frozen heart and explains the motives that led to his dark plans. Elsa and Kristoff are basically relegated to supporting characters and because of this, the book itself becomes a little uninteresting once Anna begins her adventures with Kristoff.

The whole Hans angle doesn't really work because ou
Hannah
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, so this book was amazing! I loved getting hear the story from different perspectives, and when I first started reading it I had pretty low expectations, but in the end, Disney is Disney. And I love Disney! (Wow so many 'disneys') Some of the books I've been reading recently, I felt like I was reading them just to be able to say I've read them, and I wasn't truly enjoying them and soaking up the story. I decided to read a book I had been interested in reading for awhile and I'm so glad I di ...more
Kristen
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay. This book was cute. I like Frozen, but part of the time I felt like I was just watching the movie. I was hoping for a little more background on other characters. I loved learning Hans background, but we pretty much already knew a lot of what was covered on Anna. I want to know more about Kristoff too. Still, if you love Frozen, you will love this book! ❄ ...more
Sara
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
First book I finished in 2016 and it's SO cute!
Patty Presley
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereadable
It's a very cute book that is based on Frozen. All events in Frozen are included, however this book is told in 2 points of view. Those are those of Anna and Hans. The chapters skip. One Anna, one Hans, etc through the book.
It is nice to learn more about Hans's background and the Southern Isles and I loved getting inside Anna's mind too. The movie, I think, is in Elsa's pov. or a limited version of Anna's.
You see some new stuff from Kristoff too and that's interesting.

Would I reread? Yes
Would I
Irene Rosignoli
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Lovely book. It becomes more than once an explanation of the movie instead of a retelling, but overall they did a great job with the characters, which are very faithful to the movie but also expand on what we already knew about them. Hans' backstory was interesting, though I think giving him a reason to become evil kind of ruins the point of the type of villain that he his. I also loved the way they included the songs in the narration. I wonder if Disney ever did a similar book told by Elsa's po ...more
Keida Avdo
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was truly awesome, even for someone my age. I read this book to my niece who is a fan of Frozen and she loved it! The book really points out the details that you can't even notice in the movie. Of course the book and the movie aren't exactly the same, but they do have Hans', a character in both the book and movie, perspective. Overall, I loved the book and would read it again to myself if I had the choice.
Marjolein
I don't know why, but I had expected more of this book. I really liked the Hans parts, trying to give us more insights in why he does what he does and giving more of his background, but the Anna parts are mostly a retelling of a movie that probably everyone who picks up this book already saw and thet feels redundant.
Jenan
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
A novelization of Disney movie Frozen. I LOVED it, as much as I loved the movie. I liked the additional scenes which added a nice touch to the story. The language/writing style used in this novel is simple and understandable. I recommend it for all Frozen fans.
Laney
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it included Hans’ point of view. Also, Anna is my favorite princess, and it was nice to read a book mostly focused around her!
Amanda
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the movie, they didn't talk about Hans' brothers. But in the book they talked about where he came from. I thought that was cool.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Warm Welcome (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #3)
  • Rumpled
  • Of Mice and Magic (Hamster Princess, #2)
  • Glint
  • Treasure Of The Orkins (The Secrets Of Droon, #32)
  • Ivy (Ivy, #1)
  • Before the Bell (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls, #9)
  • Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)
his is the part I'm always the worst at—talking about myself! So as you've figured out, my name is Elizabeth Rudnick and I'm a young adult author. I'm also a Senior Editor at Disney Press in New York City. I've edited books based on movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia as well as Miley Cyrus's memoir, Miles to Go, which was a New York Times bestseller (imagine if Tweet Heart w ...more
“What was wrong with her? Why did things like this keep happening to her? Love wasn't supposed to hurt, yet it felt like all she knew when it came to love was pain. Every time she opened her heart, she just got burned. Or, in this case, frozen. And she was getting sick and tired of it.” 7 likes
“Olaf was a genius. This, she realized, watching the snowman struggle, was love. Olaf had been willing to put himself in danger because he didn't want to see her get hurt. Love wasn't the canned romantic declarations. That was nothing but fluff. That was what Hans had thrown at her and what she had mistaken for love. Pure, true love was what Olaf was showing her right now - sacrifice.” 6 likes