Start by marking “Exhibit Piece” as Want to Read:
Exhibit Piece

Exhibit Piece

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Twenty-second century historian George Miller is completely dedicated to his job studying the history and culture of the twentieth century, and has even created an accurate replica of a twentieth-century dwelling. But when George investigates an odd noise in the exhibit, he stumbles upon a strange reality existing inside of his replica.

Philip K. Dick was an American scienc
Published December 16th 2014 by HarperPerennial Classics (first published August 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Exhibit Piece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exhibit Piece

Joey Woolfardis
I still feel like an impostor when writing reviews about sci-fi, and K. Dick in particular. This is a relatively simple sci-fi short story about a futuristic 22nd Century man who curates a display of the 20th Century, and is very dedicated to his work.

A lot of sci-fi (or the few bits I've read, at least) is often bombarded with so many scientific explanations and fancy words that it takes a while to get your head around a story. Dick does that in other stories-but does it in such a way that it w
Bill  Kerwin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

First published in If (August 1954), “Exhibit Piece” is a memorable “Twilight Zone” sort of tale in which a precisely constructed world becomes real, but although it exults in the realized fantasy, the phony world “made flesh,” it has dark strain of Dickian paranoia (conformity, repression, atomic destruction) that runs through it too.

George Miller doesn’t like the rigid, conformist society in which he lives, but he does enjoy his job at the History Agency, where he specializes in the mid-twenti
Richard Derus
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five

Well now! Goodness gracious me.

Real Life is a glitzy, amazingly well-cast 45min episode of the anthology series Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams starring Anna Paquin of True Blood fame as a futuristic lesbian supercop who has a flying car and lots of sex with her hawt wife.

Now that the straight guys are gone, here's what's cool about that: The character talks about that being a straight guy's SFnal fantasy world as she decides to go back in time to live as her straight male 20t
Karen’s Library
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I watched the Amazon show Electric Dreams and decided to read the stories they came from. I see the resemblance of this story to episode 1, "Real Life" on the show.
Estelle
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This might be one of my favorites yet. Just brilliant.
"There's no fanatic like an academician"
Steven
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Another good science fiction short by Dick in which a man either moves between 2 dimensions or is psychotic ... Dick himself had clear memories of other realities in which he had lived before the rules of the universe ("simulation") changed.
Rosaleen Lynch
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This story prompts so many questions about our every day experience of reality. It talks about losing yourself in another reality. We do it all the time in movies, TV, books, music, art, tech games and VR. Just having our own world view, mindset or understanding creates a different reality to others. It's not just a case of glass half empty or half full, it is all the nuances that make up our reality including elements from experience to mental health to opportunity. We can disappear into a suga ...more
Angele Sionna
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one! PKD keeps coming back to some of these themes and ideas... the curator of history moving thru time... what is reality.
I finally read this one after watching the Electric Dreams series on Amazon. I liked their adaptation... but of course it was nothing like this original, and yet upon reflecting on it now I can see all the similarities. The show seemed to take ideas from "We can remember it for you wholesale" plus this short to come up with their story. Still, like it all around.
Chris
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic!

This is the kind of story that got me hooked on science fiction in my teens. Relatable main character and alternate realities and a not so pretty future. Will read it again!
Jill Jacob-Cabrera
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this little ditty. Smart and dark.
Jon Officer
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great little story about an everyday guy who dared to be different. Upon discovering a pathway into a possible new world, he capitalises on the opportunity but all actions come with a price.
Rob
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Reality and fiction blur
Andy Hickman
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Exhibit Piece”: Clever surreal. Great ending. ****
“You realize this may be nothing but an exhibit? You and everybody else - maybe you're not real. Just pieces of an exhibit.”
Austin Wright
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
An ominous prediction about the author's own life? Uncertainty and disassociation with all reality, hiding in the foreign but comforting?
Esther
Jan 31, 2016
I. Galdames
Sep 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
“You're a function of an impersonal cultural totality. You have no standards of your own. In the twentieth century men had personal standards of workmanship, artistic craft, pride of accomplishment, these words mean nothing to you. You have no soul.” 0 likes
“You're a function of an impersonal cultural totality.” 0 likes