Start by marking “The Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:
The Silent Treatment

The Silent Treatment

(Katrina Jaitley #1)

Katrina Jaitley doesn't expect to find a piece of forgotten movie history during a bout of retail therapy. After watching the coil of film found tucked inside her purchase, she's shocked to witness the brutal murder of a famous 1920's star by a fellow actor. 80-year-old mystery aside, someone will stop at nothing to get the film away from her and silence what she's discove ...more
ebook
Published December 2nd 2014 (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Treatment

Samantha March
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of The Silent Treatment by Melanie Surani in exchange for an honest review. Kat Shergill is trying to rebuild her life. Escaping from an abusive boyfriend, she ends up back at home thanks to her friend Bridget convincing her she needed to get away, and quickly finds herself knee deep in a mystery – from the past. While at an estate sale, Kat finds an old movie reel inside the item she purchased – showing the murder of a famous 1920’s actor by another high-profile actor. Before ...more
Anne
This book reads like a really well thought out outline for an actual book. I just wish there were some more meat on those bones.

The premise is great - woman finds old film reel in estate sale purchase. Film reel contains a sinister surprise. Woman sets out to find man who sold it to her. Neat, right?

I thought so, too. But that's pretty much all that happens. There's very little characterization, and the subplots (the MC's trouble with her ex, the instalove between the MC and Peter, the issues be
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
What would you do if you found out that your favourite star could be a murderer? Would you report it immediately or would you try to cover it up? That’s one of the quandaries in Kat Shergill’s life, besides witnessing an 80 year old murder on film, being followed, having her apartment broken into and escaping a fierce past!

This is one of the few Suspense/Thriller books that has a leading lady and what a lady she is. She is real, she is flawed, she has ‘baggage’ of her own and she is just like y
Alyce Hunt
I was definitely surprised by 'The Silent Treatment' - it's one of those books where the synopsis made me expect something hugely different to the finished product. Because it mentioned Kat being stalked and a brutal murder, I was expecting something a bit more adult in content, but it feels much more like a new adult story than a murder mystery novel.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though! As a new adult book 'The Silent Treatment' excels. Kat has just finished her relationship with her abu
Lydia Thomas
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was not solicited in any way, nor do I in any way benefit from the sale of The Silent Treatment. As with all my reviews, this is my unadulterated opinion.

I give The Silent Treatment 4 out of 5 stars.

It’s a very different book from Awake, which is more of a thriller and very suspenseful. The Silent Treatment is more laidback. Surani takes her time introducing the main character, Kat, along with her history. The plot unwinds slowly as well, with plenty of foreshadowing.

The characters w
Katy
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystica
The story centers around Katrina who has just escaped an abusive relationship. Trying to find her feet, evade her ex and evade her extended family she just wants to lie low and recover from the blows to both her mind and body. She wants to start afresh but knows that getting rid of Jeremy from her mind is easier said than done, despite the abuse, she feels that an attraction still exists.

Dragged to a garage sale by her friend Bridget she discovers a box of jewellery which she buys. Hidden within
Melissa
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest and objective review.

*The Silent Treatment* appears to be the first in a series of cozy mysteries, always a fan favorite and perfect for those just looking for a few hours of enjoyable relaxation. Katrina Jaitley has moved back home, tail between her legs, after finally leaving her abusive jerk of a boyfriend. She's terrified her somewhat traditional (aka judgmental) family will rub the failure in her nose, but fortunately, she has her b
Sue
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free download of "The Silent Treatment" by Melanie Surani through Smashwords.This was an amazing book to read.

Kat Shergill doesn't expect to find a piece of forgotten movie history during a bout of retail therapy. After watching the coil of film found tucked inside her purchase, she's shocked to witness the brutal murder of a famous 1920's star by a fellow actor. 80-year-old mystery aside, someone will stop at nothing to get the film away from her and silence what she's discovered.
Barbara
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a bit too short to develop the characters and plot. Many things seems unfinished or unnecessary to me. Why was Kat's mother so controlling and religious? Her dad was Indian, but we never really meet him or know if there's any significance there. Why mention that if it has no bearing on the story. Her sister Sonal is mentioned toward the end, but didn't seem to have any connection to the story. I did enjoy the mystery surrounding the missing piece of film from the silent movie e ...more
Diane
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Silent Treatment is completely captivating and is a book you just can not put down. The story follows Kat Shergill, a smart young lady facing the normal ebb and flow of life when a chance encounter engulfs her into a mystery that she is compelled to solve. Each character pulls you in and is so perfectly written that it is as if you have known them forever. Predominantly a story of mystery and suspense, the inner conflicts, historical attributes, and a touch of romance blend together to form ...more
Lynn Mccarthy
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who likes a good story
The Silent Treatment is a book you can not put down with strong Characters and individual personalities.
Katrinia finds a piece of movie and she is shocked to see it is a clip about a murder of a film star taken by another actor.
Katrinia has just come out of an abusive relationship but she still thinks about him while trying to avoid him.She also meets Peter who has to move his grandmother into a home he hates to do this even though he knows it is best for her.
I really liked this book can not wa
Amber
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book through GoodReads' giveaways.

It was an easy to read and mostly well written (technically speaking) book with believable dialogue and a new-ish plot. Unfortunately it didn't go anywhere or keep me interested for very long. I agree 100% with another reviewer who stated that this story was like an outline with limited character details. The author did not give enough time/energy/focus on convincing the reader to care about the characters or their stories.
Darcysmom
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Silent Treatment by Melanie Surani. The premise of the story is fantastic! There is some surprising and exciting action. The characters are flawed and fun and people I could imagine knowing.
I was left wanting more - I wanted more mystery before the end and perhaps a little more urgency. This is a relatively minor quibble on my part. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from reading the story again, and I would definitely read more of Ms. Surani's writing.
Sue
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this book it was a easy read for a lazy Sunday. I really liked the main characters of Kat, her best friend Bridget and love interest Peter. I look forward to reading more about these characters and I will be picking up more by this author.
Bob
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
In my opinion, some books just should not be written, and this one falls into that category. Yes, I read every page of it, and found it to be a "real" bore. Don't waste your time reading this one either.
M.C. Lewis
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The writing style of this author reminds me of Janet Evanovich, only not so over the top—more believable. The pacing is excellent, great dialog, strong plot. This author knows what she is doing! A very enjoyable book!
Jenny
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Surani is one of the best up-and-coming writers that I have seen. The Silent Treatment blends mystery and chic lit with an original heroine who is real and not saccarhin, much like the protagonist Rob from Nick Hornby's High Fidelity.
Heidi
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was such an enjoyable read! the mystery was compelling and solid, the pace was fast, and the characters were all enjoyable. i'm really looking forward to spending more time with Kat.
Lisa Davis-craig
rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Claire
Mar 19, 2016
Beta Reader Group: Mystery novel needs beta! Final draft! 2 23 Apr 12, 2013 07:32AM

• The Sham
  • Secret of the Sevens
  • The Masterminds (Masterful #2)
  • Brooklyn on Fire (A Mary Handley Mystery, #2)
  • Delayed Death (Temptation in Florence #1)
  • Judge 05
  • Gypsy (The Cavy Files, #1)
  • At Risk
  • Zero
  • Hearts of Gold (Hearts of Gold #1)
  • Langston's Daughters (The Lockwood Legacy, #1)
  • Letters from Lizzie
  • Forbidden Birth (Ravello Thrillers #2)
  • Where Can I Flee (Ancient Words Series #1)
  • The Bridgeman (Emily Taylor Mystery #1)
  • The Cart Before the Corpse
  • Naomi's Story (Romance in Amish Country #1)
  • Desperate Pursuit in Venice (#1)
Melanie Surani is an author with a heart for international travel. She lives with her husband and cat in Edinburgh.

Katrina Jaitley (2 books)
  • Exchange in Eichstätt (Kat Shergill #2)