Start by marking “Coffee Smuggler” as Want to Read:
Coffee Smuggler

Coffee Smuggler

Coffee Smuggler is an adventure based on the true story of Gabriel De Clieu, a French soldier who stole a coffee plant from King Louis XV in 1723 and smuggled it to the island of Martinique. There was only one coffee plant in France, locked in the King's botanical garden. The King and nobles had refused De Clieu's petitions for a cutting of the plant, so De Clieu seduced a ...more
ebook
Published November 27th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published November 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Coffee Smuggler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee Smuggler

Margaret Crampton
This book is an excellent read with a good mix of fact and fiction, adventure and history. It takes place in the early seventeen hundreds and describes the extraordinary lengths gone to by Gabriel de Clieu obtain and transport the original coffee plant and to introduce coffee growing to Martinique in the Caribbean. A great book of historical fiction.
Andrew
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
“Coffee Smuggler” is Dave Holman’s first book. It is difficult to say how much the knowledge of that fact colored my reading of the book. Was I more critical in my reading? More forgiving? A mix of both? Impossible to tell. All I can say based on this book is that Dave’s writing shows great potential. As I read, it felt like I was witnessing Dave’s progress as a writer. The beginning is rough. There are too many unnecessary sentences. The dialogue feels forced. Too often the story and the charac ...more
Kelcy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
De Clieu's story makes my coffee habit and seem remarkably improbable. Dave Holman picks out this colorful bit of coffee history and shapes it into a rousing first person adventure. A few chapters overemphasize historical context and I found De Clieu's character somewhat unrealistically relatable, but this book brings De Clieu and his time to life. If you enjoy history, adventure, and coffee, this book is for you.

Full disclosure: I know the author personally. My opinion stands.
Candy Loring
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I would say read this book if you love coffee and adventure. It's a great story full of twists and turns. Dave Holman's witty and humorous writing details life and death on the Carribean Sea. Our book club of 8, really enjoyed Coffee Smuggler and would highly recommend this book.
Rbucci
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me a bit to get used to the verbiage, the first couple of chapters were choppy and I wasn't sure where the author was going. After that, the writing seemed to flow better, and the history contained in the book was wonderful. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves history of any sort.
Conny Fornbäck