Start by marking “A Heart's Betrayal (A Journey of the Heart #4)” as Want to Read:
A Heart's Betrayal (A Journey of the Heart #4)

A Heart's Betrayal (A Journey of the Heart #4)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews

When Emmie Croftner answered the door to her late husband's home, she discovered a terrible truth. A woman she's never met reveals that she and Emmie shared the same husband and that the bigamist had never divorced his first wife. The home and farm are not Emmie's property after all.

Suddenl
Published June 2nd 2015 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart's Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart's Betrayal

Brittany
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this latest novella in the Journey of the Heart series. It is book four of the series and can stand alone, but it is even better when read after the first three novellas.

Poor Emmie! This book’s title truly does reflect what has happened to her. She has been betrayed in one of the worst ways. Played the fool and now feeling ostracized, she chooses to make the journey to Wyoming to hopefully begin again.

This novella does not have as much danger or suspense as books two and three. It
Leigh
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Colleen Coble is one of my favorite authors, so when I saw A Heart's Betrayal on Netgalley I knew I had to give it a try. I was not disappointed.

After the tragic death of her new husband, Emmie Croftner is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life only to be hit with another blow, her husband was legally married to another woman. What will she do? Emmie journeys out west to be with her friend, Sarah Montgomery, at Fort Lara
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Title: A HEART’S BETRAYAL
Author: Colleen Coble
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
June 2015
ISBN 978-0-529-10343-7
Genre: Historical romance serial
Series: Journey of the Heart book 4

When Emmie Croftner answered the door to her late husband’s home, she discovered an awful truth: her deceased husband was a bigamist. And what’s more, the home she thought she inherited never belonged to her at all.

Suddenly displaced, powerless,
Jerry
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A crazy turn of events...but a great installment nonetheless!
Cheryl Baranski
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Heart’s Betrayal, By: Colleen Coble
This is book four in The Journey of the Heart Series. I just love how the book picks up and continues from the last book in the series. This one pulls on your heartstrings so. A yearning for all that is wrong to be righted. For the one that is so brokenhearted to feel loved again. You will be yearning for the next book in the series so that you can see what happens next. I know that I am anxiously awaiting that book. A wonderful quick read.
Be sure to get your
Kelly
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys quick, easy reads and anyone who enjoys romance stories with suspense
A Heart’s Betrayal by Colleen Coble is Book Four in the “Journey of the Heart” series. Each of these books is a quick, easy read. Each contains romance and suspense. In A Heart’s Betrayal, we get to know more about Emmie, the sister of Ben Croftner, who was a thorn in Rand Campbell’s side.

Emmie learns some shocking news about her husband of only three months, after he is killed in an accident; news that will negatively affect her life in many ways if she remains in Wabash, Indiana. She has no fa
Ashley
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I was very excited about Emmie's story. It seemed like it would be full of intrigue and romance. We haven't really gotten to the romance part yet, but this was definitely an interesting installment to this story. I enjoyed this novella, but I did end up wishing Emmie was a more confident, take charge type of person. She just kind of lets life take her where it will and I wanted her to be more adventurous and stand up for herself.

We see more of a Rand and Sarah in this book. I'm still not a fan
C.E. Hart
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

A Heart’s Betrayal, by Colleen Coble, is book four of a six-part Journey of the Heart series that takes place during the mid 1800s. It’s an emotionally charged read and difficult to put down.

“This is going to come as quite a shock to you, and I’m truly sorry for that.” ~ A Heart’s Betrayal

Emmie’s late husband had secrets and wasn’t the man she’d once though he was. That troubling truth is compounded by the fact that what she thought was left to her doesn’t belong to her at all! To escape the sh
Joan
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. This episode concentrates on Emmie, the sister of Ben, nemesis to Sarah and Rand in the first three episodes. She was a plain girl and when a man showed her attention, she fell for him. A whirlwind romance and marriage. Then, only a few months later, he is killed in a horse and buggy accident. Then a horrible truth comes to light. He was already married and his first wife has rights to nearly everything. Emmie, homeless in Wabash, Indiana, goes to Fort Laramie t ...more
Kav
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth in a six-part serial style release. Journey of the Heart is a reissue of the author's first series, now out of print.

While I love Coble's writing, I'm not a fan of this serialization model. It's like I'm being given tantalizing snippets and then forced to wait a whole month before I can have another taste. Talk about an author keeping the reader wanting more!

A Heart's Betrayal's heroine is Emmie Croftner, sister to the nefarious series villain, Ben Croftner. Thankfully, Emmie
Hannah
A good story, but a trifle wooden in the execution. I definitely like Coble's writing better in a contemporary setting. However, what ruined it most was the back cover copy...it's only a summary of what happens in the book, including the last chapter! Don't read the synopsis for this one.

I am enjoying the historical setting and the characters in this series.
Alicia Lowery
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The publisher should’ve bound books 1-3 together. And let books 4-6 be a book 2. Carrying around all these tiny books is cumbersome. This is the main reason for the rating.

This story was more a romance than a suspense—like this author is more known for. It was a good story overall, just poorly bound.
Linda
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Emmie answers the door after her husband passed away, she opened the door to a nightmare. She had to leave town and heads for Fort Laramie where her friend Sarah now lives. Emmie's old life goes with her, though. Her new start seems to be thwarted. Will she be able to overcome? This is the fourth in the Journey of the Heart short stories by Colleen Coble. Loving these stories.
Megan
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise. I find it odd that she would not be able to confide this information right from the start with her close friend. She's obviously not a loose woman and surely her good friend knows that.
Mary Mathews
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I guess this is just not my type of book. Question: why weren't the tents destroyed in the hail storm of egg-sized hail?
Christy Shepherd templeton
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book of forgiveness, acceptance and love. Short and quick read but true to the author's typical style.
Angela Holland
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a good addition to this series. I like that we are now hearing another characters story.
Rachel
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am totally drawn into Emmies and Isaacs story. Looking forward to continuing it in book 5.
Simoné
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I needed! A quick, light read. Very cozy.
Donna
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The pleasant story continues. Getting more invested in the characters.
Kathleen E.
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thursday, June 11, 2015
A Heart's Betrayal by Colleen Coble, © 2015
Journey of the Heart series

Part 4 of 6 in the Journey of the Heart series ~
E. B. Taylor had attempted to negotiate a constructive peace treaty in May of 1866, but Red Cloud had angrily stomped out when Colonel Carrington showed up to establish three new forts in the last of the Sioux hunting grounds. Red Cloud objected that the army would be setting up forts without waiting for the agreement from the Indians to allow troops to pat
Beth
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Litfuse Publicity for no charge in exchange for my honest review of this book. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Book Description:

Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Life has finally settled on the frontier for our favorite characters Sarah and Rand. They are now anticipating their first child amid the rising conflicts with the Indians outside of Fort Laramie. Emmie Croftner has just discovered that the man she is recently grieving as her husband was not the man she thought. She discovers in days after his funeral that he was married to another woman and had a child. Since their marriage wouldn't be viewed as valid, the holdings she assumed would be hers are ...more
Iola
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Well done, Thomas Nelson (and Litfuse Publicity). Yet again you’ve done Colleen Coble the huge disservice of giving away the key plot twist in the book description. I understand that writing these advertising blurbs is hard, but let me give you a hint: the objective is to hook the reader into buying and reading the book, not give them a plot synopsis. Here's the Amazon Book Description:

When Emmie Croftner answere
Sara Bennett
Likes: I was pleasantly surprised by how the story shifted from Sarah to Emmie. It hadn't clicked in my head that the original series had been two books, so it would make sense that there would be different main characters starting with this book. While the first chapter or so is different, the story quickly picks up pretty close to where it was left off from the first book. The fact that I had read A Heart's Danger at least two months ago didn't matter because there wasn't anything that was imp ...more
Cindy
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who follow my blog, then you know I am currently reading books in Colleen Coble's six book series, "Journey of the Heart". These short books are a reprint of Ms. Cobles' first two novels, Where Leads the Heart and Plains of Promise. If I had to guess, A Heart's Danger is the end of her book Where Leads the Heart as everything seemed to tie up nicely. The fourth book in this series, A Heart's Betrayal is actually the first part of her original book Plains of Promise.

A Heart's Bet
Lisa Johnson
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Title: A Heart’s Betrayal (Journey of the Heart Book #4)
Author: Colleen Coble
Website: http://colleencoble.com/
Pages: 112
Year: 2015
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5+ stars out of 5!
The installments in this series begin with “A Heart’s Disguise” followed by “A Heart’s Obsession” and continue with “A Heart’s Danger”. In book #4, many things have changed in the life of Sarah and Rand along with Jacob and his wife Amelia. However, readers are first reminded of Ben Croftner’s younger sister nickn
Victor Gentile
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colleen Coble in her new book “A Heart’s Betrayal” Book Four in the Journey Of The Heart series published by Thomas Nelson introduces us to Emmie Croftner.

From the back cover: Emmie finds shelter in the arms of a soldier, but her secret could drive them apart.

Suddenly displaced, power
Jalynn Patterson
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Suddenly displaced and powerless, Emmie realizes she can't stay in Wabash, Indiana, any longer. She makes for Fort La
ASC Book Reviews
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent sequel and new start! I wondered where these books were going to go after Sarah and Rand's story seemed to wrap up. And I am so excited about the next batch of characters! Sarah, Rand, and Joel return, a fact I am very happy about because I loved them all and wanted to read where Colleen takes them next, but I also have grown to love poor Emmie! And I can't wait for her to change from poor Emmie to completely Blessed Emmie. Which of coarse is where I sincerely hope she's headed. I can' ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Masterpiece Marriage (Quilts of Love, #24)
  • A Sky Without Stars (Quilts of Love, #15)
  • The Proposal at Siesta Key (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #2)
  • At Love's Bidding (Ozark Mountain Romance, #2)
  • A Dream of Miracles (The Amish Wonders #3)
  • The Trouble with Patience (Virtues and Vices of the Old West, #1)
  • Kissed by a Cowboy (Four of Hearts Ranch, #3)
  • Hearts Made Whole (Beacons of Hope, #2)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Anchor in the Storm (Waves of Freedom, #2)
  • Sit, Stay, Love: A Novel for Dog Lovers (Love Unleashed #1)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • A Bride at Last (Unexpected Brides, #3)
  • A Promise in Pieces (Quilts of Love, #17)
  • Beyond the Silence
  • Tried and True (Wild at Heart, #1)
  • The Midwife's Tale (At Home in Trinity #1)
  • End of the Trail (Texas Trails, #6)
USAToday bestselling author Colleen Coble lives with her husband, Dave, in Indiana. She is the author of dozens of novels including the Rock Harbor Series, the Aloha Reef Series, the Mercy Falls Series, the Hope Beach Series, the Lonestar Series and two Women of Faith fiction selections, Alaska Twilight and Midnight Sea. She has more than 2 million books in print.
More about Colleen Coble

A Journey of the Heart (6 books)
  • A Heart's Disguise (A Journey of the Heart, #1)
  • A Heart's Obsession (A Journey of the Heart, #2)
  • A Heart's Danger (A Journey of the Heart, #3)
  • A Heart's Promise (A Journey of the Heart #5)
  • A Heart's Home (A Journey of the Heart, #6)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be