Start by marking “Don't Fear the Reaper: Why Every Author Needs an Editor” as Want to Read:
Don't Fear the Reaper: Why Every Author Needs an Editor

Don't Fear the Reaper: Why Every Author Needs an Editor

You've written a book, so now what?
You may be asking yourself:

• Should I hire an editor?
• What kind of editor do I need?
• How much will professional editing cost?
• Where can I find an editor?
• What will an editor expect from me?
• What can I expect from an editor?

Don't Fear the Reaper: Why Every Author Needs an Editor answers these questions and more, while also of
Published December 1st 2014 by AtWords Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Fear the Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Fear the Reaper

Chrysten Lofton
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5.0⭐ Brief And Essential. Like Having A Friend On The Inside.

If you’re a new writer, you’ve probably been pouring over on-writing books (if you haven’t yet, start). You already know an editor is a must, but you may not fully understand their role when it comes to your work, nor the etiquette needed to establish a working relationship with the person you’re hiring.

This book is great for anyone stuck in middle-of-the-book slump (lots of inspiration and affirmation) or someone who just penned ‘the
Yoanna
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found a lot of useful information in this book, and there are also quite a few inspirational moments that make you itch with writing motivation.
I should get it in paperback and highlight and reread paragraphs before I did down to write :)))
B. R.  Kyle
Aspects I Enjoyed:
~This was an enjoyable short eBook on how the Editing process works at a professional level, and while this book gave much needed advice and was very practical, I would mostly recommend this for first-time authors or authors with minimal experience with the Editing and Publishing Industry.

~After reading this, I felt inspired to return to writing and felt much better about my current writing progress (or more importantly, the lack there of it).

~I particularly liked the Afterword
Chris Oestereich
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lot to chew on

This book covers a lot of important material that is especially relevant for supporting and early career authors, and anyone who's considering self-publishing for the first time. Blake distills a number of lessons that I had to learn the hard way, while also offering many new ideas to consider. I suspect I'll be revisiting my notes in this one often.
Lilac Reviews
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Author Blake Atwood / Reviewed by Felita Daniels / 153 Pages
This is a helpful book. It is especially important for that first-time, self-publishing writer that needs an editor. Someone new to the industry may not know what the different types of editing are, which they need, and what are reasonable prices for these services. These questions are answered.
I didn’t like that the author advertises his own editing services in multiple places in the work. There were also places where he reiterated th
Jonathan Franzone
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a closet / wanna-be author and I've read my fair share of writing books and blogs. I grabbed this book more on an impulse and am glad that I did. Atwood, being an editor, makes a very compelling argument for hiring an editor for your writing projects. He also provides useful tips on acquiring an editor, interviewing editors, what types of editors there are and how to work with editors. It was very practical and if I ever come out of the closet and actually write something ...more
Christine J Randall
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from Story Cartel in return for a review. It contains lots of handy advice: 10 steps to better self-editing; guidelines to prep your book for editing; and how to avoid upsetting your editor. For the new writer, detailed explanations are given for the different types of editing your manuscript might need before it is considered publishable. At the very least you need a copy editor. Advice is also given on how to find such editors, and naturally he is going to mention himself ...more
Patsy Shepherd
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Telling It Like It Is

In the interest of full disclosure, I too, like the author, am an editor. I found this book refreshingly succinct, full of helpful advice, from what editorial services cost to why editing is so vital and even to what it is that gives writers a sense of validation. In fact, I wish I had written this book. I would not have done much differently. Now that we can each be Gutenberg, and many, many, MANY of us are publishing our own books, the glut on the market of what Atwood cal
Adora Swift
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this Book for free in exchange for an honest review. This book was an easy read the provide valuable information on the editing process and had a great tips on things I could do to self edit my own book. I would recommend it to anyone who has recently completed their first draft of their own book.
Eric Black
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
In a style similar to Strunk and White in Elements of Style and Brohaugh in Write Tight, Atwood opens (aspiring) writers' eyes to the other side of writing--editing. I wish I'd had this book before I submitted my first manuscript to an editor. I could have saved the two of us a headache. The last chapter on validation is particularly poignant for less confident wordsmiths.
Janice
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everyone needs an editor

Atwood spells out the five W's of needing an editor in this short book. Even more, he councils the would be author in how to develop a working relationship with an editor, what to expect, and what to avoid.
Clark Willis
Nov 21, 2018
Michael C McAtee
Dec 19, 2018
Blake Atwood
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Ginnyrants
Nov 23, 2018
Andrew
Jan 27, 2019
Blake Atwood is an author, editor, ghostwriter, and owner of BA Writing Solutions LLC.

He's written "The Gospel According to Breaking Bad" (2013) and "Don't Fear the Reaper: Why Every Author Needs an Editor" (2014). He's co-written "Mr. & Mrs.: How to Thrive in a Perfectly Imperfect Marriage" (2014) and "Stuck: When You Want to Forgive But Don't Know How" (2014). He's ghostwritten multiple boo