Start by marking “Need More Love” as Want to Read:
Need More Love

Need More Love

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Aline Kominsky-Crumb, one of the earliest female cartoonists, presents a collection of her own highly inventive and daring artwork from over four decades, along with unusual photographs and memorabilia. The road to becoming an underground- comics legend begins with Komisky-Crumb as a nice jewish girl from Long Island, carries her to Greenwich Village in the 1960's, and to ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by M Q Publications (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Need More Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Need More Love

Melanie
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2007
A memoir of the quirky life of the artistic, adventurous Aline Ricky Goldsmith Kominsky Crumb - pioneering cartoonist and wife of cartoon artist Robert Crumb. A unique book that combines short essays, photographs, paintings and comics to reveal the neuroses, misadventures, and discoveries of a sharp, funny woman with plenty to say.

The memoir describes her New York childhood, her hippie days in Arizona and San Francisco, her work with "Wimmen's Comix," her marriage to R. Crumb and motherhood, an
Marsha
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read. For one thing, along with text, there were comics to read, photos and paintings to enjoy looking at. Aline Crumb had a totally dysfunctional childhood, with a father who did not hold a regular job, but always looked for a way to scam a buck. Growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, she explored free love, drugs and rock 'n roll. She had a baby when she was young and gave the healthy boy up for adoption. It does not sound like their paths ever crossed again. After her fathe ...more
Alan
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know where this stuff comes from
Recommended to Alan by: Ipse dixit
I picked up this sprawling, raunchy autobiographical work at the library, while perusing the shelves for more conventional comic fare. I almost put it back down again, too - at first glance, the memoir of this most famous graphic artist's wife seems both extremely crude and incredibly self-indulgent.

I'm glad I decided to give it a chance, though. Aline Crumb is absolutely right; she's an artistic talent in her own right and, if her style looks a bit unpolished next to her famous husband's, it's
Hol
Jul 03, 2008 added it
I’m glad that Aline Crumb finally has a hefty retrospective book. It includes lots of comics, of course, but also paintings and collages, various ephemera, and personal narrative, presented in loosely chronological order. Overall it’s a great portrait of one artist’s development and the times she lived in. I’m fascinated by her early work in underground comics, especially as a founding contributor to Wimmin’s Comix. That really early stuff is so raw and primitive-looking--she had the most bizarr ...more
Kelly
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
I would have never picked this up were in not for the fact that my job requires me to read things I might not normally read and honestly, it was fairly enthralling. Aline is the wife of R. Crumb and is possibly more interesting than her husband. I really like the layout of this graphic memoir. Aline includes short chapters of prose, photographs, and of course, comics. I really don't like her drawing; it is very primitive and raw. However, the self-deprecating humor she employs to tell of the sto ...more
Bryan
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
In the film Crumb Aline comes off as a very ambiguous person from a feminist perspective. I really wanted to know more about here life and her art. This book doesn't disappoint. It's one of the first books in a long time that I couldn't put down after I started. I hadn't read an artist biography in awhile, having tired of them somewhat. Aline's life was so unlike my own I think this made the text more refreshing. Many of her aesthetic choices differ from mine, but she elucidates her methodology ...more
Ted
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
A much needed retrospective/autobio of Aline Kominsky-Crumb, best known as Robert Crumb's wife, but who really should be known as one of the first women comix artists, and certainly one of the first autobiographical cartoonists. Interspersed with selections of her work, we get essays, photos, and examples of her art beyond comics. It's a thick book, too! But I came away from it with a respect for her and appreciating her outlook on life (which has changed over the years).
William Savage
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An hilarious and introspective memoir. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.
Jun 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was enthralled by this woman but then also tired of her. Her self-deprecating humor is only funny so long, especially when you know she is also incredibly vain.
Rtriptow
Nov 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Aline Kominsky Crumb's cartoons are incredibly crude, but I've always found them funny, possibly because she's so "out there" with depictions of herself and her family that are very unflattering and, apparently, bluntly honest. Sadly, this memoir — with text explaining the stories behind the cartoons, and photos of some of the nice-looking people that she draws as monsters — doesn't support that impression of blunt honesty. She often states that her stories are all true. But are they real?

After
Jen
I really enjoyed this. Often kept in the shadows of her more famous husband (cartoonist R. Crumb), this memoir is devoted to Aline's life and body of work. In the 60's, she was an early female cartoonist, pioneering the use of bare-all autobiographical material in her comics. Yes, Aline's drawing style is unconventional, and I had to get the hang of how to read the dialog in her comics, but once I did, I just loved her wit, sly commentary, unconventionality, and sense of self. The memoir contain ...more
Todd N
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm very obtuse because I didn't pick up on the social commentary of R. Crumb's work until I checked out the documentary Crumb from the library. The scene where he's on Market St. between 5th and 8th commenting on everyone walking by suddenly made it all clear to me. Crumb is that rare person with the right amount of confidence and damage who becomes a grumpy old man in his 20s.

So I decided to buy Need More Love the next time I went to Books Inc in Mountain View. They have a big stack of them ma
Nux
It was really tough to start this not so slender volume, especially since Mrs. Crumb's comic drawings are not my cup of tea. I guess I'm more mainstream and attracted to cute drawings than her crude style. Plus the cramped writings are a pain to read. However things got a lot better once I decided to just skip the parts that I can't read and move on to her other writings and enjoy the photos, paintings and collages that interested me to get this book in the first place. In the end it's quite enj ...more
patsy
Apr 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: r.crumb fans

"Need More Love" is a brilliant visual memoir of Baby Boomer/hippie/sixties'artiste/ culture. In equal measure self loathing & self obsessed, Aline is funny, brutally honest, and above all, unapologetic.Her sometimes squalid accounts of family life, childhood, adolesence, skewed body image (& the resulting adult sexuality issues) are, for the most part, dead on. No matter what your parents are like, you'll feel better after reading about hers. "The Bunch" might not be able to go penstro
Jaina Bee
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: comix junkies, feminists, voyeurs, Boomers
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: Yoram
It's big, bold, and fancy, like the author. It's also radically honest, insanely hyperbolic, and dripping with obnoxious, self-congratulatory/-loathing Boomerisms.

It's bad enough to hear someone born in the fifties bragging about all the free love and cultural upheaval they enjoyed, but to follow it with criticism of the following generation's apathy is more blind selfishness than I can stand.

That vented, I must confess that I played a lot of hooky to spend time with this juicy chunk of graphic
Ruth
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
It's weird b/c I don't love the author's art or agree with her opinions about things, but somehow I really enjoyed reading this. I think I liked the format a lot. It was autobiographical and graphical, meaning there were short bits of writing interspersed with excerpts from comics over time and also reproductions of paintings and other artwork. It left me always eager to see what was on the next page, and it's definitely a great way to tell the story of a life. It was also an interesting paralle ...more
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is an autobiography by Aline Kominsky Crumb, wife of the famous cartoonist R. Crumb. It is a collection of text, comics, drawings, and photographs from her eventful and eclectic life. But like her comics, what is most poignant about the book is it's ballsy honesty. She puts on the page such cringe-worthy self-deprecation it really pokes out the humanity in you. It is thoroughly disconcerting, though, how such a beautiful woman sees and draws herself as a distorted monster woman, but that's ...more
e
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
What goes on in the mind of a woman married to the infamous R.Crumb? In this endearingly self-indulgent memoir , Aline proves to be just as creative and twisted as her husband. Detailing her exciting and often perverse NYC Jewish upbringing, we get a clear picture of this mysterious woman first-hand. Although she is somewhat of an outsider in her family, she learns to embraces her wild culture and imperfections, and the result is an amusing and oddly fasinating graphic autobiography that is fun ...more
Cupacake
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aline Kominsky Crumb/R. Crumb Geeks
Not only was I fascinated by her comics/paintings/history, I was enthralled by her beautiful bluntness. I find some autobiographies to be pretentious, but A. Crumb's writing is just like her art: honest.

While this is a big book, it was a bit more than a weekend read (and I'm a slow reader), thanks to the many comics interspersed. I came away from this book knowing so much more about the crazy wife in "Crumb", and knowing I was now a huge fan.
flannery
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! It's like hanging out with a best friend! Lately I've been thinking about friends of my mother that I haven't seen since the '90s, like Corinne with all the lawn art, or Deborah with the big butt, all unmarried artists with curly hair and a lot of jewelry. This book is the spiritual bridge between me and them. I can't tell you how much... that means to me...!
Brittany M.
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what to rate this but gave it three stars, because it was engaging, if nothing else. Need More Love isn't particularly well written, but, come on--the book's end is comprised primarily of photos of A.K.C.'s bathroom and her ugly present day art. Still, there's something to be said for "ugly", and I did love the matter-of-fact shit talking of her peers. Worth it for the laughs.
Ian
Dec 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
reading this now....what can I say? R Crumb's better half in many ways. Was amazed to learn she went to same high school as Alissa did (Lawrence High (fivetowns, longIsland)several years before though), and when Alissa saw one of the photos, she said she had that EXACT same hair style at one point, but that her white go go boots were nicer than Aline's.
Danielle
May 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
I first read through all the comics in this book when I purchased it, but didn't get around to the autobiography. My second time around I read EVERYTHING and am better for it. It's a great look at the way Aline constructs herself and gives you insight into her work, especially the work she did with her husband R. Crumb.

Kobeest
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it
mixed graphic novel, prose, and art book: i came to this volume through a love of the comics twisted sisters. In the same vein as lynda barry, kominsky comes to her comic voice through her art and the history of a dysfunctional family (a common theme in my latest reading). an uninhibeted window into a rich life...
Jennpants
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm an asshole for not knowing that R. Crumb has an extremely talented wife, Aline Crumb. In fact, she's been drawing comics on her own for decades and co-creating comix with Crumb for almost as long.

A rough start in life, but she turns things around by the end of the autobiographical (2006). Some good stuff.
Betty O
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
After seeing the R. Crumb exhibit at the Frye and being reminded of how much I appreciate all that is Crumb, I spied this book at the library. I vaguely knew that he and his wife did some cartooning together, and took this as an opportunity to learn more about Aline Kominsky Crumb. I love her! What fun! I think I may go back to the Frye again soon and look over the exhibit.
Mamie
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Damn was this entertaining- Aline Kominsky-Crumb is sorely under-appreciated. A compelling comic artist and great old-school self deprecating jewish storyteller - she spends a lot of time compulsively telling you her dirty secrets, and she's got some good ones. I loved it, and it made me want to go to the gym.
James
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really like Aline Kominsky Crumb. I also like R. Crumb and their kid, Sophie. This is brutallllllllly honest and funny. Her art is sloppy and hand-made, neat. I could've done without some contextualization, but I still liked it.
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I normally don't enjoy memoirs, cause it seems kinda like narcissistic intellectual masturbation. However this was funny, albeit too explicit at times for my taste. I loved her colorful art. The collections of stuff, and freaky baby doll stuff was really too weird. But to each her own.
Summer
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Until I read this, I had no idea what a fantastic and influential cartoonist Aline Kominsky-Crumb is. I say "for shame" to the nerds and naysayers who claim that she's only famous because of her husband, or that she has no talent, or that he draws her work(?). Y'all are just jealous.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »