Start by marking “Dark Awakened (The Devil's Assistant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Awakened (The Devil's Assistant, #2)

Dark Awakened

(The Devil's Assistant #2)

Last spring Claire’s seemingly normal—if not totally screwed up—life was tossed on its head. For five years she’d been one of the damned—a human that knows the truth about the otherworldly among us. She’d worked for The Boss—the Demon King himself—as his administrative assistant, handling everything from early retirements, to Maintenance’s incessant requests for dental.

Published December 1st 2014 by Wild Fey, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark Awakened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Awakened

Start your review of Dark Awakened (The Devil's Assistant, #2)
Ethan Gregory
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review and more at: http://oneguysguidetogoodreads.blogsp...

*********************************************************************************
My thoughts:

As some of you may remember, a few months ago I reviewed the first novel in this series, Dark Hope. While I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Hope, I was left with so many questions. I really did not know what direction this series was going to take and didn't exactly know what to think about it. I knew I liked it, but with so many lasting questions,
Carolyn Short
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first

A smooth continuation of Dark Hope with just as much action and humor. I can hardly wait to see what Claire does next. If staging a public book burning (LOL) would get more people to read this series, I would give it my best shot!
Linda
A paranormal series that will challenge your mind to work overtime..

I pulled Thanos in for a kiss, surprising him. I wasn’t sure if it was our bond or the fear this might be my last kiss, but I didn’t hold anything back. I let him in. He took full advantage, plundering my mouth as if I were the last woman on Earth, which could have been a result of him being trapped in a desolate wasteland for the last five hundred years—but I decided not to over think it.

Dark Awakened is the second marvelous
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Dark Awakened audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Dark Awakened by HD Smith is the urban fantasy sequel to Dark Hope, part of the Devil’s Assistant series. What an amazing follow up to the first novel! The main character, Claire, was the Devil’s personal assistant in the first novel and somehow escaped from that responsibility, but she constantly tries to maintain her freedom. But fate has other plans for her. With a prophecy and with newly discovered
Melanie Marsh
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Awakened is the 2nd book in HD Smith’s The Devils Assistant series. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, Dark Hope, and Dark Awakened didn’t disappoint.

In Dark Awakened, we continue to follow Claire along in her crazy life where every time she turns around someone is trying to kill her or manipulate her into doing something for them. There are these crazy prophecies and unfortunately for Claire, they center on her and what she is supposed to do. The majority of the book consists
Jennifer  (BTH Reviews)
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

four-half-stars

Dark Awakened picks up exactly where Dark Hope left off, yet it gives the reader enough information to jump into the series even if the reader hasn’t read Dark Hope.

This book answered some questions for me that I still had after reading the first book. It also cleared up my confusion about
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
What I Thought:

How could you not love this book, especially if you are a fan of anything with the underworld, paranormal or just a fantasy lover. This book has all of it wrapped up together with a little bow on top, albeit that bow is made of flames, but still.

I loved that this book portrays exactly what I would imagine a real-life (or death) underworld being like. Poor Claire was once just a human, selected to be the assistant to The Boss. She's been used as a dog's body, treated rough, but
Dusti Dasilva
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off let me say READ Dark Hope first. If you don't you will be beyond confused with this book, as there are so many characters. You need to have the back ground on them from the first one. Now Claire is the main focus of this book. She moved from being a "lap dog" a push over really to this strong, willful woman who no longer takes shit from people. Claire, in Dark Hope, had a lot of bomb shells dropped on her. And when I saw a lot I do mean a lot. Not only did she find out her mother ...more
Lindy Lu Reviews
So the story goes on for Claire she was free, finally, only to be stuck again. She ends up having to saved the world again and roll with all the punches. Now she finds out she is a pawn in a game set forth thousands of years ago and to be the winner she must wield power she has no clue how to control. Oh but Claire has never heard of the word no only bring it on! Demons, Pagans, and Bounty Hunters oh my! She ends up in the Underworld again a place she said she would never go, but it wasn't her ...more
Katie
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book. I can't wait for more. Actually, things are so involved and fast paced in this series that I'll need to reread them just to catch things I'm sure I missed. I love the different realms and the characters. Poor Claire is just a pawn but she is definitely resourceful and that makes things interesting.
Smith could put in some sex scenes but alas, she glosses over them. No worries, it doesn't distract from the book. There's cussing and plenty of spunk and sarcasm.
The scenes
Missp
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. This is the second book in the Devil's Assistant series. You must read the first book to understand the evolving storyline. There are only a few additional characters introduced in the second book.

The story line begins where the first novel ends. The author quickly moves us a few months into the future through Claire's diary. She's recovering from the tragedy at the end if the first book / beginning of the second book. Pay close attention to her dreams. They set up the plot
Robyn.caseygmail.com
I had hoped that this was the conclusion to Dark Hope; but the end of the book made it quite clear that there's more story here. On one hand it was done well; not screaming "MIDDLE BOOK" like some trilogy books can't help but do-- and not having the novelty aspect of a first book where the world view is introduced didn't hurt it as much as I thought it might. The action keeps coming; when I thought it was going to slow down it just grabbed on.
The point of view-- where the story is told as
Sue Brooks
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK - this is only my 2nd book to read written by HD Smith and OMG it is soooooooooooooo good!!! I will say that you really need to read Dark Hope - the first book of this series before reading Dark Awakened. If not, you will not understand what is happening and why on some things. This book literally starts where Dark Hope stopped.

Claire is like a pawn in this book - but she definitely is resourceful in what she has to do and how she learns to do them. There seems to never be a dull moment in
Michele
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire's fate is still controlled by the Top Three and their hell spawn. After recovering from her heartbreak and disillusionment, she realizes that she must face her fears in order to gain freedom. After leaving Death's dubious protection and returning to the devil, Claire is promptly abducted and dragged off by a bounty hunter. She is delivered to a strange, sickly town and ordered to help her enemies (Cinnamon et al) escape from Mab's confinement. Since no good deed goes unpunished, a simple ...more
Jennifer Leal
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I thought Book 1 was great! The 2nd book is even better!!! I think I enjoyed it more just because Claire has grown stronger and isn't flailing about lost now as she was in Dark Hope. Who she really is, is still a mystery. Every time I think I've got something figured out there's a little twist thrown in.
H. D. smith has woven a beautiful fantastical story that reels the reader in and captivates them with the magic, wonderment and adventure of Claire's new life. I CAN'T WAIT for book #3. To
Ryan
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Loved this second book in Devil's Assistant series. Really loved it! Claire is a great character, a strong protagonist and just a cool chick! Reading the first book Dark Hope is recommended to be familiar with the core characters and the general world order that HD Smith has created. This second book is very well written and exciting to read. I'm not a huge fan of series/trilogies, but this book was refreshing in that it is fairly self-contained plot wise without huge cliffhanger and not boring ...more
Ryan
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Kelly Linzey
I really wasn't sure If I was going to like this series or not but I couldn't put it down. Some part of me wanted to thrash the other characters as the went along and abused Claire. I found her to be a little clueless but as her character develops she stops taking shit from others and starts to give back what she's been given. This second book is better than the first and I have High hopes for the next in the series.
Annastew1144hotmail.com
My second book in the series and so far very impressed. There is everything I expect from an urban fantasy novel with an intriguing plot and brilliant characters. I can see the series going from strength to strength and would love to see it turned into a TV series. I think it would work really well.
Rachael
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was a great book!! I was worried about where this series would go after book one but every question I had from the first book was answered and any issues I had were fixed! There are some new character and we get to see old faces. Because if the story line, there is always something going on. There isn't a cliffhanger BUT there will be a book three!! I cannot wait!!
Sweetpea
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. Not having read the first book in the series, it was a little confusing at the beginning trying to figure out all of the characters. Once I had everyone straight, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy..WOW!

This book was so amazing! I absolutely adore Claire, the big 3, and even the quads!! The story is so interesting and different than what I expected when I first read the first book! I never thought I would love this series s much as I do!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE BOOKS! You WILL NOT regret it! ;)
Linzi
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was brilliant, fab book excellent audio - review to follow.
I'm delaying because I gave book 1 the 5 stars it deserved ... now I'm not sure what to do - cos this was at least 2 stars better. I need book 3 .... NOW! *pouts*
Wendy
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic second installment! The way it ended is going to have me biting my nails in frustration at the wait.
Kimberly R. Huffman
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even better!

Really good read! Claire really came into her own in this book. I can't wait to read the next one!!
Sheryl
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, kindle
Loved it! Much less frustrating than the first book and just as exciting. Wish I knew when the next book is coming out. Excellent series.
Violet Davis
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i never know what to say in these things. loved this book couldn't put it down can't wait for the next book now
Rita Stradling
VERY entertaining. I like every aspect about these books but the romance (plenty of tension, just not that much genuine relationship development), hopefully that will come in the next book.
Diane
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second book by HD Smith and I continue to enjoy the series. Love the characters and think it's one of the most original series I have read in recent years. This is what urban fantasy is all about!
PJ Lea
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first book and this one surpassed it. I was up until 4am because I just HAD to know how it ended. I'll be buying the next in the series as soon as it's out. Brilliant paranormal thriller!

• Dark Contender (The Devil's Assistant Book 4)
  • How to Claim an Undead Soul (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #2)
  • Bone Driven (Foundling, #2)
  • How to Break an Undead Heart (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #3)
  • Gerard Demille and Helen Meet
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
  • Discerned (Allegiance #4)
  • Dissociate (Allegiance Series, #3)
  • Omegas In Heat; Box Set (Omegas In Heat, #1 To #4)
  • The Brotherhood of Merlin Boxset: The Prequel and Books 1-3
  • Redemption River (Men of Mercy #1)
  • Resurrection River (Men of Mercy #2)
  • Witching World: Books 1-3 (Witching World Omnibus Book 1)
  • Dissemble  (Allegiance #2)
  • Haints and Hobwebs (Elemental Assassin, #4.7)
  • Rebellious River
  • Reckless River (Men of Mercy, #3)
  • Ravaged River (Men of Mercy #4)
HD Smith is a software developer by day and an author of kick-ass Urban Fantasy at night. She grew up in South Carolina, but has called the Sunshine State home since 1997. She has a Masters degree in Computer Science, but her love of writing has really unleashed the creative siren in her soul. For more information, visit HD's website at http://www.hdsmithauthor.com/.

The Devil's Assistant (4 books)
  • Dark Hope (The Devil's Assistant, #1)
  • Dark Forsaken (The Devil's Assistant, #3)
  • Dark Contender (The Devil's Assistant, #4)
“The blue of winter, the brown of spring, the red of summer, and the fall of green. I seek the place of treasures past. I seek the truth of sand and glass. I call to the wind of seasons past. I bring with me the best of summer. I am the one with whom you bask. Deliver me and complete your task.” 2 likes
“I must complete my quest or I will die.” 1 likes