Start by marking “10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness” as Want to Read:
10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness

10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness

Fino a non molto tempo fa eravamo convinti che il ruolo dei microbi fosse per lo più irrilevante, ma la scienza sta svelando un'altra verità: forse sono i microbi a gestire il nostro corpo e la salute senza di loro sarebbe impossibile. La biologa Alanna Collen ha scritto un libro affascinante e stupefacente in cui, attingendo alle più recenti scoperte scientifiche, ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Harper (first published April 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 10% Human, please sign up.

Start your review of 10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness
Socraticgadfly
First, the title of the book is arguably misleading.

Yes, by cell numbers, we're 90 percent prokaryotes. But, by mass, we're 90 percent human. That's because, while prokaryotic cells have evolved in symbiosis with us and other eukaryotes and carry out certain specialized functions, eukaryotic cells can do so much more overall, in general.

OK, now to the specific main problem.

This book is largely, for the first 2/3, yet another in a plethora of "one solution" health care/health science books.
Chrisl
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010s, dewey600s
Here's a quote from page 71, reflecting what I'm appreciating about the book :

"Backhed suggests that what we can extract from our food depends on what our microbial factory has been set up to expect. If our vegetarian were to abandon her stance and indulge in a hog roast, she would probably not have enough amino-acid-loving microbes to make the most of it. But a regular meat-eater would have a sizeable collection of suitable microbes, and would extract more calories from the hog roast than the
Mike
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was not surprised to see all of the five star reviews for this book. As a person well versed in biology I was treated with a number of "A-ha" moments while reading this book. This book serves well in shining light on the paradigm shift that is taking place in the medical community. It should not be surprising that the resistance to this new information comes more from corporate motives than it does from advances in knowledge. I would recommend this book to anyone that would like to open their ...more
Alex Givant
Excellent book about microbes and how they impact almost all areas of our live.
Elizabeth
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book!

I've been interested in gut microbes since first reading about them earlier last year, so I was very excited to see what this book had to say. And WOW, it did not disappoint! It was very interesting and informative...I learned a lot and I was very excited to see how much the medical and scientific community has learned in the last few years about microbes. It was also really terrifying and scary to read of the incidences of disease that seem beyond our control
Jonna Higgins-Freese
I think there might be some interesting stuff here, but so far it suffers from the "gee whiz/I'm going to tell you something so amazing" repetition for the first fifty pages. Along with way, way basic explanations of microbial communities on the human body, which may be interesting for folks with almost no background in reading about science.

Content interesting enough to keep me up late reading. The writing is competent, but doesn't shine.

Okay, she finally got to the good stuff: re: microbes and
Nigel
What a fascinating read.
I'll try and be objective about this initially. This is a book that is written in a fairly scientific way. Despite that it is highly readable. The author - a biologist - starts by looking at the diseases that plagued mankind over a century ago. Diphtheria, polio and the like were successfully eradicated and that allowed a far longer lifespan for people in general. After that came the new "conditions" that we live with now. Diabetes, autoimmune issues, autism and other
Noah Goats
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
10% Human is written with luminous clarity, packed with provocative ideas, and loaded with fascinating facts (like the one in the title). This book has actually managed to change my view of myself, and how many books do that? I now see myself as not only a human being, but a vast habitat for billions of microbes, many of whom are my friends and allies.

Because this book is about microbes, Collen appears to view all health problems as nails to be driven in by a microbe hammer and she doesn’t
Vashti
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. I read another book, called Gut by Guilia Enders, earlier this year, which was a great intro to our digestive tract and microbes. This really piqued my interest in the microbial colony that lives in our large intestine. This book goes much further, looking not only at our microbes, but all the twenty first century diseases that appear to be linked to our microbial health. Autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes, allergies, and MS, but also mental health conditions like ...more
Leo
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm already a bit of a microbiome fanboy but excellent books like this and
http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/health-... will hopefully bring greater understanding of our symbiotic microbes into the mainstream.

This will be of the utmost interest to anyone trying to learn more about the cause and effect of 21st century disease epidemics affecting developed countries such as obesity, allergies, autism, diabetes, IBS, MS etc.

Solid science presented this clearly and engagingly will provide a nourishing
Kristy Kitten
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOODNESS, I'M FINALLY DONE WITH THIS BOOK!!!!

Reading slumps are the worst, and despite this book giving me one, it's absolutely worth reading because it truly opened my eyes. I try not to be dramatic but I view everything differently now, no joke, and even my lifestyle is changing.

Even though this is so far from what I normally read, I would recommend this to everyone. This brings out the science nerd in me. Thank you, school, for making me pick this up.
Ken Rideout
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book. Most interestingly, I can now picture the human body as a giant earthworm-like tube with more "surface" area on the inside (intestinal walls mostly) than on the outside. Also, the solid matter in poop is mostly dead bacterial cells - who knew? The titular claim of a 10 to 1 ratio for micro-organisms outnumbering our own cells was less spectacular for me as I had learned at some point to think of our modern cells as an amalgam of parasitic and symbiotic ...more
Morgane
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely longer than it needed to be, but really interesting. A lot of this just makes sense. Of course your diet affects your body in countless ways (like whether or not you have acne, and not in the sense that "greasy food = pimples"). As obvious as it may have seemed in hindsight though, I'm glad Collen was thorough in her research and explanations-- even if it they were too long at times.

A few takeaways:

- eat plants. specifically, get lots of fiber and eat prebiotic foods (raw garlic,
Rick Wedgeworth
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, science-bio, have
A real eye-opener. I picked up the book initially because I have an interest in the human microbome and expected to pick up some tidbits on the topic.

This book is less about the microbes themselves and more about their impact on the human colony. What was most shocking to me was the evidence the author presented on the connections between modern culture, modern gut bacteria and modern diseases such as autism, diabetes, obesity, IBS, and several others.

An excellent science-based book written for
Rachel Lewis
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book that will make you think long and hard about the very important role our gut microbes play in our health and what personal steps you can take to improve your own microbiota, to become a healthier person. Brilliantly written, fascinating and an important contribution to popular science writing.
Nancy Dardarian
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This really is a mind blowing book. The unfolding story of the importance of our gut bacteria is just fascinating. So many things make sense now! Highly recommend this book for anyone interested in healthy living.
Brittany Jerlinga
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most illuminating and interesting book I have read. This completely changed the way I view my diet, my health, and even how I teach biology to my students. Fascinating and highly recommended!
Gary Raduns
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Collen makes an interesting case for the vital role of properly balanced microbes, particularly those in our gut, in preventing a host of diseases ranging from obesity to autism.
Emma
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a thought-provoking book about the relationship between our microbiome and our health, including auto-immune diseases and 21st century illnesses such as metabolic syndrome, autism and heart diseases.

In the book, Alanna Collen draws intriguing connections between the rise of antibiotic usage starting in the 1940s, and the rise of the obesity epidemic.

One of the most provocative things she shares is the hypothesis that obesity might be (partially) caused by an infection. Her two main
Kate
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Probably one of the most important books I've read in quite a while (along with Why We Sleep). The research around the importance of the microbiota is fascinating, and the changes our current lifestyles have on our microbes is worrying to say the least. I will be questioning all prescribed antibiotics for my family and me, considering probiotics when antibiotics are necessary, and increasing my fiber intake by eating more vegetables to help encourage the growth of the good microbe populations.

I
Chelsea Lawson
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t remember when/where I was recommended this book, but I am SO glad I read it. After all these years of scientific discovery and research, there is still an overwhelming amount we don’t know about human (and animal) health. 10% Human gives an engaging synopsis of the latest research into a relatively new avenue of interest- the microbiome. That is, the mega metropolises of bacteria living inside us. Not quite the self, but “old friends” who have a symbiotic relationship with our minds and ...more
Douglas Larson
Very thoroughly researched and almost astonishing in the principles presented, author Collen discusses the microbial population of the human body. Our bodies consist of about 37 trillion cells, but that is only 10% of the organisms we carry around with us. The other 333 trillion are microbes, bacteria and some fungi, which are passengers and which directly contribute to our health. While we have known for some time that the gastro-intestinal flora are vital to our health Collen carefully ...more
Ashley
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everybody needs to read this book!! The author did an great job with her research but condensed it and wrote in a simple style that would make this book perfect for the general public to read as well. I appreciated that so many topics the were covered in this book, especially was fascinated by the relationship between the gut microbiome and autoimmune and mental health illness. This book just furthered my interest even more in this topic.
Shiela Rozich
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the late 1970’s, Covert Bailey’s “Fit Or Fat” opened my understanding of aerobic exercise and explained weight gain/loss and how our bodies worked this system. It was brilliant!!
This book, “10% Human” does the same in late 2010’s for health and why we are losing the battle to achieve it. After over 50 years of the best health care in history, not to mention spending increasingly larger portion of our economy and our attention to “HEALTH”, what are we doing wrong?
This book, written for the
Wendi Lau
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has a different premise from other microbiome books I have read because the author states upfront "You are just 10 per cent human." In so doing, her book discusses the power these microbes wield to affect our personality and health. It's not just the science or data of that microbial "weight", but also who is really in charge of who.

By feeding the more desirable microbes with more plants and fiber than the typical American is used to, we can positively nudge our physique, emotions,
Shira
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have stayed up far too late reading this fascinating book. My two takeaways appear to be that 1.) too much hygiene causes allergies among other things and 2.) "Eat More Plants"!!
this was one of the very few books I've seen actually worth staying up until 1 in the morning to finish reading.
Valium10mg
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing

BEST ONLINE PHARMACY IN USA HONEYBEEHEALTH

ORDER HERE GET INSTANT DISCOUNT NOW UPTO 50% : BUY ADDERAL ONLINE

I found this HONEYBEEHEALTH Online with exclusive offers. They provided free shipping, and they didn’t ask for a prescription too. This is the best online pharmacy that I found ever. Then you HONEYBEEHEALTH For your best online service.

CLICK ON IMAGE ORDER NOW BUY ADDERAL ONLINE

Hassle-free Experience
100%
David
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great book in which blasting western medical practices often using antibiotics to get quickie on curing even small cough..little do western medicine understand the intricacy of our human structure: active good germs...from our ancestors passed on to provide the most natural barrier against foreign germs...through natural born instead of C section...through mother's milk instead of fake baby powder formula...yes..a kid is born without allergy when around dogs and cats likewise for a Pakistan kid ...more
Gabriel
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Groundbreaking
Joana
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative and without losing her sense of humour, the author carefully makes her case on this always fascinating topic. Seeing as this area of medicine is still very unexplored, the book can only focus on hypothesis and possible roads of investigation, but you get the hints and the little stabs at fad-diets.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
  • Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More
  • The Psychobiotic Revolution: Mood, Food, and the New Science of the Gut-Brain Connection
  • The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health
  • Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ
  • The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
  • Time and How to Spend It: The 7 Rules for Richer, Happier Days
  • Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
  • The Source: Open Your Mind, Change Your Life
  • Re-Nourish: A Simple Way to Eat Well
  • I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
  • The Irrational Ape: Why Flawed Logic Puts us all at Risk and How Critical Thinking Can Save the World
  • The Complete Guide to Property Investment: How to survive & thrive in the new world of buy-to-let
  • О чём говорят бестселлеры
  • The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Astonishing Dialogue Taking Place in Our Bodies Impacts Health, Weight, and Mood
  • Entropy
  • The Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life Is a Paid-For Experience
  • Cycles: The Mysterious Forces that Trigger Events
Alanna Collen is a science writer, with both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biology from Imperial College London, and a PhD in evolutionary biology from University College London and the Zoological Society of London. She is a well-travelled zoologist, an expert in bat echolocation, and an accidental collector of tropical diseases.

During her scientific career, Alanna has written for the Sunday
“If the nature-over-nurture idea that your personality is not your own hard-earned creation but a product of your genes makes you feel uneasy, how about the concept of a personality composed by the bacteria living in your gut? Mice without gut microbes are antisocial, preferring to spend time alone rather than with other mice. Whereas a mouse with a normal microbiota will choose to meet and greet any new mice added to its cage, germ-free mice stick with mice they already know. Simply having gut microbes seems to make them more friendly. Beyond friendship, it’s possible that your microbiota may even affect who you are attracted to.” 1 likes
“But in the years that followed, science journalists the world over began expressing their disappointment in the contribution that knowledge of our complete DNA sequence had made to medicine. Although decoding our own instruction book is an irrefutable achievement that has made a difference to treatments for several important illnesses, it has not revealed as much as we expected about the causes of many common diseases. Searching for genetic differences in common to people with a particular disease did not throw up straightforward links for as many conditions as had been expected. Often, conditions were weakly linked to tens or hundreds of gene variants, but rarely was it the case that possessing a given gene variant would lead directly to a given disease.” 0 likes