Start by marking “Recipe for Magic” as Want to Read:
Recipe for Magic

Recipe for Magic

Connor Roth is a fire mage who’s going places. He's powerful, popular, and he has a plan. But his plan for fame and glory is disrupted when the Oracle sticks him with Landyn Glendower for Senior Trial. This is an act unprecedented in their school's history. Landyn is a water mage, and everyone knows mages with opposing elements can’t work magic together.

Connor is left with
Published January 2nd 2015 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Recipe for Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recipe for Magic

Ami
Agatha Bird is not a new author to me. Before she had a published book, I read a few of her wonderful free online fiction (even one of her fan fiction). I really enjoy Bird’s narrative which is why I was excited when I saw this one listed at Dreamspinner Press’s coming soon page.

Recipe for Magic dwells in a world of a magic school – where mage students are paired by the Oracle to display their power at the Senior Trial. Connor Roth is a fire mage, he comes from a great family of magic; his fat
MLE
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, kindle-archive
A sweet, and fun story. I liked that even though Connor was a jerk Landyn wasn't a pushover, and gave just as good as he got. I liked seeing things from Connor's perspective because I was able to understand why he was the way he was, and it was nice to see his growth over the course of the story. Their final project made me smile. A really good ya story.
wesley

I love this side of YA. Would love to read more about this world in the future.

Meep
Conflicted on rating this so not going to.

On one hand it’s AGGYBIRD and I adore Aggybird’s fics I don’t think it’d be possible for me to not buy any published fic of hers! On the other hand while I liked it, I can’t say I loved the book.

It’s a short Y.A. read. The characters and what we see of their world is interesting, I thought the ending was predicable but also very endearing. But it is Y.A. not sure what age group it’s aimed at but there wasn’t enough depth for me, not enough tension. Aggy
Borderstar
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-m-m, ya, sp-magic

This was a sweet, romantic little YA read. Nice idea and it was written in an easy-to-read style that I zipped through in an hour or so.

Unfortunately it's short length led to a few downsides - we don't really get much world-building, back story or development of characters and we are kind of dropped in to see only a snippet of time in this world where we don't know much about what went before and we are left with nothing much wrapped up - but I guess it's consistent with other stories w
Deleboy
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh Agatha Bird! What an exceptional tale. I don't know if I'd like a sequel, but I can say with certainty that this was one the best short story I ever read.
The setting is not original as magic and elements are used copiously, but anyway this tale was so romantically cute I might even overlook Connor's clichéd unawareness.
I hope I'll find some of her other stories.
Chris, the Dalek King
I had totally skipped over this book originally because I had seen that it was YA, and that really isn’t something I go out of my way to check out. But a few weeks later I was looking around for something different to read, and this book came up again, so I thought I would give it a closer look. I loved the cover, and the blurb sounded interesting, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try. It’s only 60 pages, so what’s the worst that could happen?

Thankfully this book turned out to be reall
Tess
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! Short and sweet Y/A romance.
Serena Yates
What a great novella! I love it when characters really learn something in a story, and boy, Connor has a lot to learn. As they say, “pride goes before a fall” and that is what happens here. Once Connor has been removed from his opinionated and egocentric pedestal, so to speak, help comes from the most unexpected direction and someone Connor wouldn’t ever have considered worth his time. Yes, Connor is that sort of a teenager before the Oracle interferes and puts him in a situation where he will e ...more
Brice Jale
This was a 4.5 stars for me, but I'm rounding it up because I am a sucker for elemental mages and this was no exception!

When two mages from opposite elements get paired together, things are bound to get amazing especially when those two mages are just so perfect together!
description

The book had such a sweet and adorable plot and characters and I just couldn't help myself giggling and crying and getting my emotions unstable. This is a book I shall read again someday.
Catherine
Jan 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
Let's be clear: I generally have no interest in reading YA novels. Or fantasy books. Or ones about fire mages and Oracles (really, I'm not even are what those are, but they just don't really seem like my "thing").

What I am interested in is reading anything by Aggy Bird because she's friggin' hysterically funny and talented. So, dammit, it looks like I'm gonna be reading a YA fantasy book about Oracles and mages sometime in 2015 (maybe I'll finally figure out what they are).
Suki Fleet
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable story. I was pretty much smiling the whole time I read it. Would love to read more in this world.

I've read some fab free reads by this author, and I can't wait to read more of her published works :)

Recommended!!!
Susan
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2015
This book seemed to be shorter than I thought it was going to be. I was really starting to enjoy it and then it was over. A quick, fun read though.
Michael
3.5 Stars rounded up. As I usually do with a short story I wish it had been a little longer because I really liked both characters but all in all a sweet young adult coming of age story.
Hollis Shiloh
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So cute! Would read more in this world, or about these guys.
Daesy
I really liked this short book. Connor and Landyn were cute together. Sure, at start Connor was an arrogant and spoiled young mage, but behind that mask he was sweet and scared of being a failure for his powerful father. Landyn was shy and without any kind of experience in relationships, and I'm sure he was also in love with Connor way before the other mage finally understood that his ex-girlfriend was a bitc+.
There were some heterosexual elements in this book. Connor at start has a girlfriend,
Katherine
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story! Despite being short it truly felt like there was adequate time to build and create this camaraderie and relationship between the two leads. The only thing that suffered for the short was not being able to fully explain and realize the world- though doing that easily could have made this into a novel, one I would very much enjoy to see!

Connor and Landyn are the two leads, paired for their final magical exams, which is a shock as they have opposing types of water. I re
Susana
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Matthew
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

This was a short story. 62 pages. A one-hour read, about. The couple was kind of cute. I enjoyed their flirtations and thought they had decent chemistry. But there was no sex. The conflicts... well... the early conflict was a bit dragged out too much, too mopey, and then the later conflict was too quickly established and surpassed. The world, perhaps could have been interesting, but too little was developed. The parents met with the Headmaster and seemed to behave as poorly as the kids
Amy Aelleah
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, fantasy
I think someone's been reading too much Harry Potter fan fiction. And by someone, I mean me.

Cute, sweet and too darn short. I love boarding schools, I love magic schools and you put those two together I'm nearly guaranteed to at least want to read the story. Love the enemies (but not really) to friends to lovers and the banter. The banter is wonderful, especially when they start actually becoming friends. I'd totally adore a sequel - a full length sequel would be awesome! - showing them out doin
Joyfully Jay
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

This was a lovely little story filled with the arrogance of youth, and a lesson well learned. With magic leading the way, two young men realize that appearances aren’t always what they seem and that working together, and asking for help, can make all the difference.

At first glance, Connor is just a smarmy, self-absorbed young man without a trace of humility. But underneath, he’s vulnerable. Being the son of a truly famous mage has taken its toll. His father is und
Angelina
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, mm
I am a big, big fan of Aggy Bird, having read all of the original fic (both completed and in-progress, I love her stuff that much) on her LiveJournal. I first found her work in 2009 and have eagerly checked her site frequently for updates. When I found out she was publishing something, I was chuffed and bought this novella the day it came out.

It was charming and silly, with the quintessential main character who is an emotional dunce (in the best way) and arrogant as all heck. The drama is super
Don Bradshaw
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This author is new to me but she weaves a wonderful story. Everyone at the magic academy thought the Oracle was crazy pairing mages with opposing talents together for their final exam or Trial. Connor seemed like he had it all only to find out that it was dust. Landyn was the serious student with no friends and very little confidence. I very much enjoyed the slow burn build up between Landyn and Connor from being enemies to lovers. The ending and what the duo did for their Trial was excellent e ...more
Seregil
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This story was adorable.
It's good for younger readers because despite being an MM it's pretty tame. The boys are teens and their love is the "pulling pigtails" type.
If you like magic school settings, opposites attract and hate-to-love scenarios this story will keep you entertained for a couple of hours.
Rosie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, fantasy, ya
I couldn't believe my eyes when my friend recommended this book to me and I realised the author was one I loved from fictionpress! Although I'd never seen this one before!

It wasn't long, but Agatha Bird still managed to pack a lot into that short space. Her worldbuilding was pretty great and I liked how intricate the world and the school was detailed.
Pablito
Connor (fire) and Landyn (water) are indeed magical together, but it takes them some time for their mouths to find one another, sizzle, and create steam. A delightful, engaging short, particularly if you get off on the realm of magic.
Zane Kage
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5
4.5 stars - 4 stars for the first half, 5 stars for the second half of this short and so very sweet story. How absolutely adorable!!! My jaw hurts from smiling.

My second Aggy Bird read - it won't be my last.
Ari
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-mm-lgbt
it was sweet and cute but has zero world building, so
Tamara
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful read!
Riina Y.T.
♥ `•..• ♥ º ☆..•`♥ Utterly.Charming!! ♥ `•..• ♥ º ☆..•`♥

#Endearing characters, #fun banter and #magic!

I hope there'll be future stories :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Wizard's Shelter
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Stolen Hearts (Stolen Hearts, #1)
  • Broken Phoenix
  • Finder Tolan
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • The Stolen Luck
  • Weregild (Wolf's-own, #2)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Unicorns and Rainbow Poop (Vocal Growth #2)
  • By the Creek
  • King of Snowflakes (West Coast Boys, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Treasure
  • Imaginary
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
Agatha Bird grew up in sunny, swampy Florida where she still lives with two ridiculously named cats. She told fibs when she was a kid, but now she tells stories. (Plus, storyteller sounds way better than professional liar.) She subsists on a steady diet of sunflower seeds, tea, books, and terrible puns. Libraries are her natural habitat, and she reaches her full power once a year on Halloween.

She