Start by marking “Of Blood and Sorrow” as Want to Read:
Of Blood and Sorrow

Of Blood and Sorrow

Erin Driscol works the perfect job consoling fellow demons by feeding off their grief at Putzkammer & Sons Funeral Home.

When fledgling vampire Nicolas Reese comes to Erin for help, she learns the truth behind the legends and hides him from his sire and the vampire hunters who seek him. But when the Putzkammers begin to die one by one, Erin is caught between her act of
ebook
Published March 13th 2015 by Christine Rains (first published March 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Of Blood and Sorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Blood and Sorrow

T.B. Markinson
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I’ve read many stories by Christine Rains and each time I’m always impressed by her imagination. This book didn’t disappoint. Erin is a demon who works in a funeral parlor. The setting is perfect! And I learned about quite a few different demons and now I’ll be looking over my shoulder more than once even during the day time. And I have to say I liked the clueless vampire Nicolas. He was sweet and funny. This story has action, kickass characters, romance, and intrigue. A fun read!
T.F.
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Urban Fantasy is one of my favorite genres to read, and I was super excited to see the new book from Christine Rains was just that.

We’ve got vampires, a Phage demon (she feeds off sorrows), a funeral home, and so much action and sizzling romance, I can’t rave enough about this book. Nicolas is rather new to being a vampire and waking up in the funeral home would spook anyone, but lucky for him, he finds Erin there. Let’s just say, their first meet doesn’t go too smoothly, but given the way the p
Cherie
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Letting a vampire loose on the city may be one of the best and worst things demon Erin Driscol has done in Christine Rains' Of Blood and Sorrow. One of the things I love the most about this book is Erin, a Phage demon. Her insecurities make her relatable, and her growth throughout the story made me root for her. Quite the handsome hero, Nicolas is quite a match for Erin. He breaks the vampire mold. The Putzkammers are the family anyone would be lucky to have, and I loved the mysterious of the ch ...more
Catherine Stine
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m enjoying paranormal novels more and more. Christine Rain’s Of Blood and Sorrow put me through breakneck twists turns that made the ride quite worth it. With her creative concepts and gallows humor I can tell she has wicked fun as she writes. Oh, and it’s sexy, too.

Erin, the leading lady and a demoness, gains energy from sucking up the sorrow of others—a totally weird but great concept. Rains explores Erin’s character and motivation in depth. Erin is ashamed of how her on mother fed so comple
Myriam
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: morena-silver
This was an interesting an entertaining book with a solid plot and good characters. It has kept me interested and it is a shame that it seems to be a standalone.
The main character Erin, starts as quite overprotected and insecure, and she grows as the story progresses and becomes stronger and more confident in her abilities. She has this tendency to want to help people she loves, even when she shouldn't, so she gets herself in trouble a lot. But she is incredibly lovable so everyone forgives her.
Linda
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this story about an insecure demon and a fledgling vampire who isn’t sure how to be a vampire. Erin Driscol was raised with an overbearing and abusive mother. She has found a new family with the Putzkammers and her job is an excellent fit for the type of demon she is. Erin is known a Phage demon, who feed off people’s sorrows, she is always careful not to take all of their sorrow away. Usually just enough to help those who have lost a loved one to be able to cope and move forward. Erin ...more
C. McKenzie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enter a world of demons and vampires where you're never too sure who the bad guy is or what will happen next. In Of Blood and Sorrow strange alliances are formed, evil plots are hatched and love is anything but ordinary. The tension is high from the moment one of the undead arrives at the Putzkammer's Funeral Home until the final battle between demons and vampires puts this world back into order.

I liked the strong character arc of the protagonist, Erin, a Phage demon. She grows from an uncertain
Graeme Ing
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Erin might look like a human but she’s part demon and works in a funeral home – how’s that for an original setting? When a cadaver wakes up, surprised to find himself a vampire…. well, let’s just say that things go from bad to worse. This book will keep you turning the pages to discover just how many types of demon walk among us, and some of them are bad-ass! As is the head-vampire-woman, and of course the book can’t end without a confrontation with her!

Great action. Great emotion! Great imagina
Heather M. Gardner
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You never know what Christine Rains is going to write about next.

This was another highly entertaining story with action, intrigue and romance.

One of the most interesting parts of reading Ms. Rain's books is figuring out what kind of supernatural world we will delve into and who, or what, we will come up against.

This book has some new-to-me characters and some really interesting people!

Abdiel? Hello! I need to know more about him for sure!

Unique and engaging!

Dr susan
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-again
Despite some early editing and flow problems, Of Blood and Sorrow is a good book. The world is fascinating and different, especially the Lady. Nicolas's efforts to discover what he is able to do are funny. Erin's abilities and her job at the funeral home are a perfect match, and the funeral home itself has an important role in both this world and the book. Although Of Blood and Sorrow appears to be a standalone, I would enjoy more stories in this world.
Tara
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book had me from the first line. The characters draw you into their dark story and there's mayhem lurking around every page. And I learned a lot of cool legends about demons. I never knew there were so many kinds! Just loved it!
Sherry Ellis
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Erin is a Phage demon working in a funeral home that caters to demons. The adventure begins when a supposedly dead human, Nicholas, rises from the dead - as a vampire. The chemistry between Erin and Nicholas is immediate. But there's a problem. The vampire's sire, Hessa, wants her boy toy back. And demon blood for her new black market drugs. The rest of the story is basically about demons versus vampires, Erin's struggle with her own identity, and her romantic relationship with Nicholas.

The char
Brandi Collins
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful, well-written book about Erin, a demon, and Nicolas, a newly-turned vampire who form an unlikely bond in this urban fantasy. Erin's inner monologue is hilarious at times and heartbreaking at others. She's a well-developed character trying her best in impossible situations. Nicolas, a character with "demons" of his own, is not the average vampire. The overarching themes of this novel are friendship, loyalty, and sacrifice. I recommend this book to people who like urban fanta ...more
T.
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good YA read, although I wasn't too drawn into the story myself--mainly due to the age of the characters (which seemed like young teenagers). The plot was interesting, and I can see the appeal for other readers.
Gwen
Let me make it clear from the start I did not like Nicolas(newbie vampire') - he is clingy and whiny and I felt that he detracted from what could have been a really good read and there was a few times I wouldn't have minded him being killed off. But at the same time I realise he was needed to bring to ahead a conflict between demons and vampires, I admit to being biased because I didn't like him as a love interest.
Give me any day, the mad bad Abdiel, the demon whose face and body changes all th
Yolanda Renee
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Of Blood and Sorrow by Christine Rains, proves that even in the world of the paranormal where Vampires and Demons live, corporate infighting can be deadly. The boundaries have been agreed upon between the demons, monsters, and some truly unique creatures. They have honor and tradition, but also secrets, deep hatred, vengeance, and schemes beyond the pale in Of Blood and Sorrow.

Christine Rains has penned a fun, distinctive tale that makes you wonder if there is such a thing as a human. Her charac
Nick Wilford
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read with action that didn't let up and characters that I really cared about. Not just Erin and Nicolas with their unlikely and forbidden relationship, but the Putzkammers who have provided Erin with a home. All were well developed and relatable. Also, as this is a Christine Rains book, you can count on her to bring something new to the paranormal table and there were several concepts here I wouldn't mind reading more about, including the job description of a "Phage" and races such a ...more
Cathrina Constantine
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read from Christine Rains, and it won't be the last. Ms. Rains flawless writing flows with ease, which is a good thing because as the reader, I couldn't swipe the pages fast enough. The Main Character, Erin is a Phage. Needless to say, I looked it up and it's short for bacteriophage. The term bacteria is a Greek word which means "to devour." And Erin devours peoples sorrow like a sponge. The book begins with a dead corpse coming to life, and jumping off the gurney at ...more
Lexa Cain
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
Rains has written a fascinating Paranormal Romance in the vein of Stephanie Meyer and shows us the human side of supernatural and undead creatures. The heroine works in a mortuary along with some of the nicest demons you’d ever want to meet, but she’s torn between the fact demons hate the undead and the fact she feels the urge to help a new vampire she meets, who is vulnerable and confused.

The author has a knack for writing emotion and also shows a lot of insight into human behavior. All the ch
Bobbi
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: Author
Working in a funeral home would be scary enough but to have someone pop up from the table and jump off demanding answers would be terrifying in the least. To have the gift to take away someones gut wrenching sorrow wouldn't be something I would want and it seems Erin doesn't want it either, until things start to unfold and come to light. Nicolas is newly turned and at first thinks what Erin tells him is a joke being pulled on him then when he realizes what she says is true doesn't know how to ac ...more
Patricia Lynne
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The beginning was a little confusing for me. I felt like there should have been more explanation to the different kinds of demons. The impression I got was I should know what they all were and I didn't. Also, despite Erin insisting she was tough, she seemed more like a push over. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the story. The pacing was good and I liked the world the author built. I had a hard time putting it down, and the second half, read it through to the end because I had to finish it. ...more
Elizabeth Seckman
Delightfully unique!

I can always count on a Christine Rain's story to never be boring. Unique characters, freshly created for each clever story and plots that aren't recycled and tired make her stories immensely entertaining.
In a world where noble demons loathe the undead, young Erin, a sorrow-sucking phage, rescues a newly "born" vampire and sets off a battle that ends in all out war.
Angela Brown
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing sorrow in a whole new light

Wow! I expected it to be a great read and it was that and more. The urban fantasy elements pop from the story with intrigue and the action kept me reading way longer than I should have been.
M. Langlinais
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting twist on the usual suspects: demons and vampires. Bonus is the funeral home setting, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Cass
Stephanie
Jan 01, 2017
Elizabeth Seckman
Dec 12, 2014
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. When she's not playing games with her son, she's playing games with her friends. She has four degrees which do not help at all with motherhood but make her a great Jeopardy player.

Christine has one novel and several novellas and short stories published. She's the author of The 13th Floor and Totem series. She is a member of Untethered Realms and