Start by marking “The Last Place on Earth” as Want to Read:
The Last Place on Earth

The Last Place on Earth

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Daisy and Henry are best friends, and they know all each other's secrets.  Or, so Daisy thinks, until she wakes up one morning to find that Henry and his family have disappeared without a trace. Daisy suspects Henry's disappearance is connected to their seriously awkward meeting the night before, but then she finds a note from Henry, containing just the words "SAVE ME."  D ...more
Published February 23rd 2016 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Place on Earth

Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a surprising little book. I picked it up on a whim and then proceeded to read it in one evening. It ended up taking a very strange turn, and became something I wasn't expecting at all. But it was unlike anything I've read before and I had a good time reading it.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight

Let us take a minute and look at how pretty the cover is. And intriguing! Then add in the synopsis, and wow, I am needing answers.

Now, kindly forget all of those things and open the book.

Let's start with Daisy, because I liked Daisy. She's funny, and relatable. Like, if I were her age, I could see us hanging out on weekends or something. She was a good narrator for the book, because she's equal parts appropriately freaked out

Jen Ryland
This book was a strange amalgam of subgenres. I don't want to list them all as some are spoilers, but I went in expecting a quirky contemporary, then I thought I was getting a mental illness book or maybe gritty contemporary and then the story turned out to be something else altogether.

Maybe it was my constantly changing expectations, but in the end I just didn't find this a satisfying read. It seemed like the characters were also never quite sure what kind of story they were in, and not in a go
T♠️bi
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of those genre-bending stories that doesn't seem like it's trying to be so many things at once: it just is. I started this as soon as it arrived in the mail, and it just dragged me in. It isn't action-laced or one of those adrenaline-junkie type of plots, nor is it boring. The best-friend romance was a plus, too, as I adore best-friend romances (especially when they're done right, like this was).

This book was like a slice of life handed to me with a drizzle of the imaginative on
Emma (Miss Print)
Daisy Cruz is used to her best friend Henry skipping school for unnecessary sick days. What she isn't used to is Henry not answering her texts and his entire family disappearing without notice.

At first Daisy thinks maybe is has something to do with their last awkward encounter. But the longer Henry is missing, the more Daisy worries--especially when she finds a note on Henry's desk that says "Save Me." Was it a sudden relocation because of witness protection? An alien abduction? Something even l
Vanessa
First of all, I absolutely like the cover. It's so beautiful. Now to the review, I liked this book, but that's about it. I liked what a quick read it was, and I liked how different it was. Usually, when there's a book dealing with these kinds of situations, the usual protagonist is in the midst of things, but in this book, you have the protagonist not in the middle of the problems, but away. You don't get much on the panic in the cities and how most people are surviving. Instead, you get the pro ...more
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Jskfkfjagkdssticjed

Ugh.

Ok so before I start, thanks to Raincoast Books for providing me an eARC of this book to review. All opinions are my own.

So I didn't know what to expect from the synopsis of this book. Actually, that's a lie. I thought I was getting a gripping thriller about a girl who saves her kidnapped friend.

WRONG!

This book was about doomsday preppers.

Now, this is not the sort of book I would have picked up normally. And I know why.

Aside from the ridiculous idea of the 'Madagascar Pla
Amanda
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beth Jones
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
To start, can we just take a look at this cover? I picked this up for myself as a little present for being accepted into university, and it was definitely a cover buy. But it actually didn't disappoint - at least not completely!

This book is definitely a page-turner. It's so quick and easy, I read it in a matter of hours and I never really read that quickly! It's quite enthralling and entertaining, and I did really want to know what was going to happen in the rambling plot. Talking of the plot, i
Erica
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: survival
I'm going to end up talking about the plot in this review, which I actually can't do without spoilers. The thing is that the summary of the book doesn't even tell you what it's really about. So while technically, my review will have spoilers, I do believe that readers should know what the book is really about. Proceed with caution.

I've seen a lot of reviews upset about the direction the book went in. I read these reviews before getting the book, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. It was
Brenda Ayala
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, signed
I'm going back and forth between giving this three stars or four stars, and I'm thinking I'll give it four to offset all the two and three star reviews for the book.

The problem with this book is that it is essentially two stories in one, and the one you read in the blurb is only the first half. I wouldn't take the novel at face value; if anything, I would say there is a good chance someone will underestimate how much there is to this.

With that being said, it's a slow moving novel. It's characte
☆Joycedale☆
Wel the prologue was misleading. This isn't about her finding Henry, it's about what happens when she does.
So Henry's family are crazy preppers and they believe the end of the world is coming. At first I thought they had lost their dang minds and were overreacting, but turned out they weren't completely wrong. There is a plague.
The story revolves around what happens after Daisy joins joins them at their "bugout" camp.
The Dunklers are a family that was supposed to be getting this home ready. Ima
Jo Sorrell
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery-2017
Kara
Sep 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
It's not going to get better. I award this book the "MOST BORING BOOK OF 2015" award. An implausible premise tops it off. The writing is fine but not special, but it's going nowhere fast and I am officially DNFing on page 108. This one is pretty awful.
Andria Potter
I dove into this book and didn’t come up for air until I hit the very end, closing the book with a satisfication that I hadn’t done in an age. While there were books that I had liked here and there, there hasn’t been one that I really *clicked* with, and this book did it for me. It was all about surviving out in the wild, a trope that I really love, and learning how to get on after the fall of humanity. I saw where this book was going when the first few classmates that Daisy had started sick, bu ...more
Cat
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Val
Emily Michie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daisy is your average everyday girl who knows something is up when her best friend, Henry goes missing. So she does pretty much everything she can to find him and eventually she does. The novel took a turn I wasn’t expecting when it turned out it wasn’t a sci-if with alien invasions but rather an action adventure with some interesting plot points. This books gets for stars because although I enjoyed it overall their was some moments that I was extremely bored: including but not limited to:
A whol
Ema024
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Copeseeley
I like the PREMISE of this book, and I even liked the ending. I just wish she had done it in a way that it didn't feel like a waste of my time by the time I got to the end.

I liked the main character, but the main dude I found especially annoying, along with the creepy side characters who didn't get nearly enough fleshing out, imo. This could have been so great! Instead I was left feeling like it was half-baked. What a bummer. I might give her writing another try though, because I did like the pr
Emily
Not at all what I was expecting. For a 16 year old girl, the MC was very immature, very stupid, and very useless. I don’t think the author knows how an actual 16 year old girl thinks or acts. Also, the plot was very far fetched, seemingly very pointless at times, and just really.....strange. The concept would’ve been so great if like 80% of the story didn’t happen. Also, the whole “were JUST FRIENDS....but I’m gonna run and cry and throw a hissy fit if he even looks at another girl” BS was super ...more
Emily Agnello
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not what I was expecting at all. But this book had a very interesting concept. A new kind of plague? Very different and interesting. It was nice to have an outlook of what a prepper does in order to survive a large disaster like the Mad Plague pandemic. It was so interesting that I couldn't put it down.
The reason for only four stars was because of the adults. They were all assholes. Yes, I understand that they had to be organized and have a strict system in order to stay alive, but tha
Shae McDaniel
What in the world did I just read? What was the point of that? What was the goal? What was the message? There were like five different ways the story could have gone and actually Done Something with the setup, but instead it veered off the path, sputtered, and died in the grass. Geez Louise. Also, my child, you can do SO MUCH BETTER than Henry. Up your standards, girl.
Kailee
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so weird. But I still loved it? The characters were really well done and complex. The mystery was also super intense and the suspense it kept me in until it was solved pretty early on made me continue reading. Even after we know what's happened to Henry the human drama of it all kept me engaged.
Tasche
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Carol Snow's humor and wit! Take it at face value or read between the lines--there is depth to her writing. This story was surprising... what started as a mystery, took twists and turns, and plot twists I didn't see coming, to an ending I didn't predict. It was almost two stories in one. Another fun read for me. Baring in mind it is YA, my 19 year old daughter LOVED it!
Isabelle Ma
(I abandoned this book as I drew closer to the end. I didn't like the characters, they were bland. The plot wasn't interesting to me either. I don't like the fact that the "end of the world" is some sort of disease. What the heck?)
Eve
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a very exciting plot to begin with and then it became duller. The ending was not as exciting or good as the rest of the book. The idea is interesting but I don’t think it was fulfilled to its potential. Besides this it was a fun read!
Janeen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book for the most part. The main male character was very flat - so much so that I can't really remember his name. I loved Daisy and her voice. Overall, good, but I wanted more depth.
Emily
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good and intresting book.
Raquel
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
the end.. really... you can add so much more
  • This Is Our Story
  • Never Missing, Never Found
  • The Killer in Me
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • Take The Fall
  • Girl Last Seen
  • The Arsonist
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • Embers & Ash (Cold Fury, #3)
  • The Detour
  • The Smaller Evil
  • To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • The Incident on the Bridge
  • Denton Little's Still Not Dead  (Denton Little, #2)
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • The Mystery of Hollow Places
  • Sweet
  • The Telling
Called “an author to watch” by Booklist, Carol Snow is an American author of contemporary women’s fiction and young adult literature. After graduating from Brown University with a degree in psychology, she spent many years writing literary short stories before accepting that she couldn't go more than a few hundred words without cracking a joke. She eventually turned her attention to crafting humor ...more
More about Carol Snow

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)