Start by marking “Whistlin' Dixie (Tempered Steel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whistlin' Dixie (Tempered Steel, #1)

Read Book

Whistlin' Dixie

(Tempered Steel #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  672 ratings  ·  122 reviews
A man on a mission....
Mackenzie Coalson was determined to rebuild his hometown after a devastating flood left it in ruins. He has no time for a relationship and all the romantic junk that goes with it. He has a vandal to catch and no sweet smelling bundle of femininity is going to sway him.

A woman protecting her family.....
Dixie Harris charged into the county sheriff's
Published November 30th 2014 by Maggie Adams (first published October 24th 2014)

Tonya
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Rising Indies United. 3.5 stars.

This is the debut novel by Maggie Adams. It was a decent read. Parts felt rushed to me though and I feel like there are some holes in the story with Mac and Dixie falling in love. But it is a series I would still like to read more of.

Dixie is a spitfire. She is a kindergarten teacher, 21, and raising her 16 year old brother. Oh and she may be short, but don't make her mad, she has a huge temper! I really liked her.

Mac owns a construction company that
Dayreader Reviews
I was gifted this book from the author (thank you) in exchange for an honest review.

Whistlin' Dixie by Maggie Adams, is full of southern charm and dialect. Who doesn't love a little spit-fire?Dixie, a five foot nothing kindergarten teacher is just that. She is full of sass and she doesn't let anyone push her or her brother for that matter. Mac is determined to rebuild the town from a flood that pretty much destroyed it. You put these two together and you get "sparks" in the form of sexual tensio
Aubrey
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy for free to provide an honest review...
Mackenzie “Mac” Coalson is on a mission to rebuild his beloved community after a tragic flood destroyed almost the entire town. He has no room in his life for anything other than carrying out this mission, especially since there has been vandalism on several of his job sites which is slowing down his progress.
Dixie Harris and her teenage brother Jamie moved to Grafton after their grandfather passed away. Her goal is to keep Jamie on the
Sarah Reads "Reading in Sarah's Corner"
If you are looking for a western with a fiery heroine and a smokin’ hot cowboy look no further! This book is for you! New author Maggie Adams did great job with this story. She filled this story with sexual tension that drove Mac and Dixie crazy as they tried to solve the mystery of who was targeting Mac’s family business. And boy did I love the tension between Dixie and Mac.

The lead heroine Dixie Harris was a hoot to read. I swear I would’ve thought she was a red head with that fiery temper. No
N.D. Jackson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Whistlin' Dixie!

It is the story of Max and Dixie who both live in the town of Grafton, which was recently ravaged by flooding. When Dixie and Mac meet it isn't under the best of circumstances: he thinks her brother is one of the hoodlums responsible for vandalizing the properties his construction company is rebuilding. From the start there are sparks but early on it's hard to tell if they will combust or fizzle. Since Mac is big and dark and gorgeous and Dixie is petite, curvy and feist
wendy Shelton(obsessedbybooks)
*** ARC received on behalf of obsessed by books for an honest review ***

Mac Coalson is the oldest out of 7 brothers and they are all trying to help rebuild their town that was destroyed by a flood, but there seems to be a problem with one to the neighborhoods that is being rebuilt. Its being attacked by vandalism and when Mac thinks he has caught them boy does his trouble start and its in a form of a 5ft sassy mouth who doesn't back down for nobody. Dixie's little brother happens to be part of t
Ross Bugger
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adams weaves a tale of romance, suspense, and humor, in this first book of her Tempered Steel series, and introduces the reader to an ordinary family trying to rebuild their hometown after a major flood. The Coalson clan consists of seven brothers, and their parents, who, along with the rest of their small community, come together to repair the devastation and make their hometown better than before.

Whistlin' Dixie, book one of the series, revolves around the eldest Coalson brother, Mac, who take
ByoBook Club
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lee-anne
Dixie is a kindergarten teacher who lives in a small town with her younger brother. When her brother gets hauled into the local sheriff's office for vandalism Dixie meets Mac local businessman who is determined to rebuild their small town from a flood that destroyed it years prior.

The sparks immediately fly between Mac and Dixie and their banter is hilarious. Dixie is only 21
but she's extremely intelligent and I fell in love with her character from the very first page. She's spunky and holds he
Lisa
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-series
When I first saw the cover Whistlin' Dixie and read the blurb, I couldn't wait to purchase my own copy. I felt like Dixie spoke to me and maybe to a few other woman out there. LOL I have a tendency to say what I am thinking and it has gotten me in hot water more than once. The beginning of the book grabbed me right up and didn't let go. Mac was a force to be reckoned with...but Dixie was his perfect match. I have so many good things to say about this book. I really liked all of the characters an ...more
Maggie Adams
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Brenda Casto for Readers' Favorite

Maggie Adams provides romance with depth, feeling and plenty of real emotion in Whistlin' Dixie. Mac Coalson is using his construction company to help rebuild his hometown, but it seems that someone is out to sabotage his work, so when the local sheriff gives him a call saying he has caught the vandals, well, Mac is ready to wring some necks. Turns out one of the culprits is the brother of the new kindergarten teacher, Dixie Harris, and boy is she sp
DJ Sakata
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Rating:

4.5

Favorite Quotes:

He gave her what he must've considered his devilish smile. Two rotten front teeth and a line of dried tobacco spittle had Dixie cringing back. His fetid breath assailed her as he stepped even closer.

Apologize to you? When pigs fly, you Mississippi River rat. I wasn't the one caught fornicating in the parking lot of the local pizza parlor. Hell will freeze over before I apologize.

I tried sending flowers, but she apparently overturned the vase and dumped the contents
Kristy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of 'Whistlin' Dixie' in exchange for my honest review.

As this is Maggie's debut book, I was unsure what to expect... but after reading the blurb & looking at the cover I was excited to read more of what was inside. 'Whistlin' Dixie' is book 1 in the "Tempered Steel" series, I can't wait for more.

Straight away you got to meet both Mac & Dixie, both with stubborn, spit fire type personalities.. so within the first chapter your being pulled into a chemistry that both are
Rosemary Rey
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whistlin' Dixie is the first book by Ms. Adams. This is a sweet book about two people hopelessly stubborn and undeniably attracted to each other, who battle to win all arguments while denying their chemistry. I love stories like this with intense attraction, steamy scenes of sexual chemistry, angst, and added suspense. I love how Ms. Adams set up her first book with stories of other characters, ensuring we get more doses of hot characters. I can't wait to read more of her books because she has a ...more
Maureen Jabour
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, this book is a charming look at small town life. Like all honestly good romance novels, it reminds us that love isn't perfect because people aren't perfect. Dixie is a great heroine, but her insecurity resonates with all women who long for someone unattainable. The author writes so vividly that Dixie’s desire and emotion oozes off the pages.
There are some heart-pounding moments that kept me turning the pages. In spite of the chaotic ups and downs, this book has a satisfying
Tonya Boutwell Hauser
Mac (Mackenzie) Coalson is a very busy Construction owner. He is helping to rebuild his hometown after the town is devastated by a flood. The homes he is building are being vandalized. The sheriff catches some kids on the property. They are brought to the sheriff's office so their family can get them.

Dixie is called to come get her brother. She is mad and has a very hot temper. The tempers fly when Mac and Dixie meet. I loved the way they would go back and forth with each other.

I can't wait to r
C.C. Cartwright
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Whistlin' Dixie! Maggie Adams pulls you in from the first chapter when Mac Coalson and the spitfire Dixie first meet and their attraction is instant. I liked how both Mac and Dixie's points of view were masterfully woven into the story, you could feel their thoughts and emotions. Mac and Dixie's love story had humor, hot romance and mystery all wonderfully written into one heart-warming story. I look forward to reading more about the Coalson brothers!
Katie Rehkemper
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book! Easy Read and great story plot. Taking place in Historic Grafton, with two loveable characters; the short and sassy Dixie, and the Tall, Handsome Mackenzie (Mac). They are out to catch a vandal, one to clear her brother’s name and one to save his town. They will make you laugh, and is a great and realistic love story. Excellent cover to cover and I can’t wait for book two!
Tammy Bugger
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!! I couldn't put it down. I caught myself laughing, crying, worrying, gasping, smiling, and enjoying the romantic twist! I fell in love with those sexy brothers and can't wait to continue to read her next book to learn more about those brothers! Job well done Maggie!!!
Tristina Renken
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the relationship between feisty Dixie & hot-headed Mac. I love the small southern town feel throughout the story. I love Mac's close knit family! I can't wait to read the next book already! This book was very hard for me to put down, I read it in 1dy.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I have to say I really like the title and cover that Maggie Adams has chosen for the first book in her Tempered Steele series. The series centers on four brothers in the Coalsen family in a town that is rebuilding after major flooding damage due to the Mississippi River overflowing its banks. Ms Adams has given us a nice setting to build her series within and I really appreciated this backdrop to the story. Each story has a standalone HEA, but the characters and a major plot point flow through a ...more
Bette Stanek
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This is felt like going home and hanging out with everyone I grew up with. This is my “stompin’ grounds,” I know Grafton, IL very well. In fact, I still spend a few summer days cruising the Mississippi and Missouri rivers every year and hanging out along the riverwalk. I’ve got lots of great memories at The Loading Dock, Grafton Winery & Brewhaus, and can’t forget the Fin Inn. Oh, the fun of Camp Piasa and Pere Marquette Park….. I’m sure I’ll be making more memories there next summer! Like I ...more
Le Ann Foster
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
☆☆Reviewed for Hooked On Books ☆ ☆

I gave this book 4.5 stars!

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised with this book. With the spit - fire girl, the hot cowboy and add in all the twist and turns you get one hell of a book! You instantly get to see the personalities of the characters and meet a wonderful family. You will go from picking sides to wanting to smack both Mac and Dixie.

Mac is trying to rebuild his hometown after a flood destroy it. There has been vandalism on his new homes. When the police c
Suleika Santana -All About Books
Great story! I loved the characters specially Mac. Dixie is a very strong character and I liked that she was very protective of her little brother Jamie.
I also liked all of Mac's brothers, specially Chance.
The bantering and arguments between Mac and Dixie were entertaining but sometimes I was mad because I felt like they could have avoided some of them if they just talked. I do believe that the big difference in age and the lack of experiences from Dixie since she is still very young and naive
Dolores
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maggie-adams
Brilliant easy which I totally recommend this 1st of the Coalson brothers book.Where we meet Dixie the preschool teacher and Mac 'Mackenzie'the Head of the Mackenzie builder who are building up the houses around after the floods but someone is vandalizing them. But we see how stubbornly hot headed he is and Dixie is as strong headed, but they have this automatic connection which they both deny till someone pushes things in a disastrous consequences, will it connect them or push them further apar ...more
Devi Nair
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
There are four brothers in Coalsen family and this story is about the eldest one, Mackenzie Coalsen aka Mac and how he finds love in the fiery Dixie. Although a bit typical, the story is fun to read and interesting to go about. A brief background is also given about all the other brothers so that we can anticipate in our own minds how the next part of the series is going to be.

Read on at Whistlin' Dixie - A Tempered Steel Novel
H.K. Szczesiak
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. It will keep you guessing at every turn. Once I started I was hooked. Dixie and Mac are two hot headed people, who find love through the red they see for each other. My favorite part of the book is when Max tells Dixie to bring a soap box to stand on, when she is ready to talk to him because his neck hurts from looking down at her. They are a cute book couple and I can't wait to see where they go in the next book.
Ann Dobereiner
It was a good story a lot of great characters. It's a little bit of a softer story than I normally read but still great read and well worth it.I like how you start to meet the other characters that I'm sure will contuine the series. There was a couple of times I felt it moved to fast but then again in book world one day is like weeks. Great book and I would def recommend to other readers. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Grace Augustine
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Adams is a new to me author. I'm very impressed! The story of Mac and Dixie is sweet...made me smile more than once. While each of these strong characters has a temper, they have such depth and warmth that truly make them believable. There is sweet romance, there is mystery and intrigue, and there is the hotter side of romance as well. This is set in an area that I'm familiar with, so it was fun reading for me. I highly recommend this book! I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Renee Kennedy
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite authors, and I found her by accident. It was her book cover that caught my attention and then her writing style is wonderful, I've fallen in love with the Coalson brother's and I think I each guy even more than the last. If your looking for a new author, give Maggie Adams a try, Whistlin' Dixie is free a lot of time on Amazon.
Elaine
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Maggie Adams I have read and I must say that I fell in love with Mac and Dixie. These two stubborn people sure know how to make you want to throw your kindle. But in the end they finally know what it is to be loved. Thank you Maggie Adams for a wonderful book.
Goodreads Librari...: Same Author? 2 17 Oct 19, 2016 07:05AM
♥♥ Serious About ...: Start the Tempered Steel series for free! 6 12 Sep 22, 2015 12:31PM
Goodreads Authors...: IT'S A FREEBIE WEEKEND! 2 10 Apr 24, 2015 09:30AM
Goodreads Authors...: IT'S A FREEBIE WEEKEND! 1 15 Apr 24, 2015 08:27AM
Goodreads Authors...: IT'S A FREEBIE WEEKEND! 1 5 Apr 24, 2015 08:22AM
Goodreads Authors...: Let's have a FREEBIE WEEKEND! 1 13 Apr 24, 2015 08:18AM
Happily Ever Afte...: Whistlin' Dixie Weeken - $.99 SALE 3 13 Feb 01, 2015 06:03AM
  • Kill Shot
  • A Sense of Duty (Dark Horse Guardians #1)
  • Knights of the North: A Yukon Adventure
  • Hooked (Romance on the Edge, #2)
  • Drawing the Line (The Line, #2)
  • The Scent of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #1)
  • Justified Deception (Dancing Moon Ranch, #0.5)
  • Only in Time (Mystique Antiques, #1)
  • Loving Justice: El Camino Real
  • Steal My Girl (Tom Kelly's Boys, #2)
  • The Bride Pursued (Civil War Brides, #7)
  • The Doubting Heart (Heart's Desire Book 2)
  • Cold Light of Day (Cold Justice, #3)
  • Maverick Sheriff (Sweetwater Ranch, #1)
  • Seeking Justice (Justice #1)
  • The River Valley Trilogy (River Valley, #1-3)
  • Loving Josie (Torey Hope #3)
  • Taurus (Galactic Cage Fighters, #3)
Maggie Adams is an Amazon Best Selling contemporary romance author. Her first book in the Tempered Steel Series, Whistlin’ Dixie, debuted in Amazon’s Top 100 for Women’s Fiction, humor, on November, 2014 and then again at #61 in 2016. Since then, she has consistently made the Amazon best seller 5-star list with Leather and Lace, Something’s Gotta Give, Love, Marriage & Mayhem, and Forged in Fi ...more

Tempered Steel (7 books)
  • Leather and Lace (Tempered Steel, #2)
  • Something's Gotta Give (Tempered Steel #3)
  • Love, Marriage & Mayhem (Tempered Steel #4)
  • Forged in Fire (Tempered Steel, #5)
  • Cold as Ice (Tempered Steel #6)
  • Tempered Steel Series: Books 4-6
“You call that caring?! I call it a line of crap! The only thing you cared about begins with an “F” and ends with me losing my virginity!” 6 likes
“Sam’s Peanut Butter Squares   1/3 lb. graham crackers, finely crushed (1 pkg crackers) 2 sticks melted butter 1 lb. powdered sugar 1 cup peanut butter 1 pkg milk chocolate chips, melted   Mix all ingredients, except chips, together. Smooth into 13x9 pan. Melt chips in microwave until smooth. Spread over graham mixture. Refrigerate for one hour. Cut into squares and serve.” 0 likes