Start by marking “Crazy is a Compliment: The Power of Zigging When Everyone Else Zags” as Want to Read:
Crazy is a Compliment: The Power of Zigging When Everyone Else Zags

Crazy is a Compliment: The Power of Zigging When Everyone Else Zags

'Some books on entrepreneurship are of little practical use. Rottenberg's new book is different. Sober, convincing and offers the best ways to build new business ventures' Financial Times

'Linda has tapped into something important - that we all need to be more entrepreneurial these days. With her impressive track record and inspiring story, she shows us all how to overcome

Published October 2nd 2014 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Crazy is a Compliment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy is a Compliment

Katheriin
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda gives great insight into the world of entrepreneurs - a lot of interesting stories, advice and insight from her own experience as well as others. A well written, encouraging but realistic, and most of all, enlightening book that brings together and builds upon many many books and publications written on entrepreneurship prior to Crazy Is a Compliment.
Karen Chung
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent guide to things you should be aware of and follow through on if you're planning on starting a business, or already have one.
MissUnderstoodGenius
This book isn't a usual business book but more like an inspirational book for would-be entrepreneurs. It talks about real life stories of entrepreneurs and how they became successful in their endeavours as well as potential pitfalls that one needs to be aware of - made this a truly enjoyable read. For eg: 3M employee who invented Post-It Notes, which eventually went on to become one of 3M’s biggest selling products. Great tips on forming an entrepreneurial culture in an organization.

Its a good
Wai Min
No new insights - I would say the author summarized pretty commonsensical principles and threw case studies and narratives in as examples, but still a pretty blah book overall.
Larry Oksten
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good look at taking risks and looking at the world not like it is but as it could be.
Nicole
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The spoiler would be - don't read this if you don't want to think about changing you life.

Interesting take on the world, work, careers, jobs and success and failure
Maria Ramos Raad
Me encanto! La forma de compartir su conocimiento a travez de hechos reales es sorprendente! Consejos, experiencias propias y de emprendedores que me hicieron reflexionar y soñar! Lo ame
Bryan Doughty
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Audio Book read:

I liked it so much that I listened again!

Linda does a great job of getting inside the heads of those that are looking towards the future and gives examples that are fresh and not the same old same old that one reads in many similar books. In addition, she does put herself on a pedestal to stroke her ego. She appears to be writing this book to simply share what she has learned over the years. It really is an excellent book and if one has hopes and dreams of building a company or c
Cindy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Highly recommend this quick and easy read to anyone who is involved with a for profit or non-profit startup or someone who wants to think and act like a startup in their established corporation. I laughed, learned and most importantly was motivated during and after reading this book to act. Yes, the author gets a bit redundant and some examples and anecdotes are those you've heard before (hence the 4 stars instead of 5) but she is a good storyteller and you learn about so many interesting entrep ...more
Rami Adwan
This book is one in a genre that aims to instill passion in persons encouraging them to follow their hearts and seek the path of entrepreneurship.
The Author is a co founder of Endeavor , a global organization, that aims to promote business growth by working with businesses that are at a juncture of growth with the right resources. The book talks to these businesses and earlier stage business startups or persons contemplating starting their own businesses.
The book outlines the importance of hee
shehzad irani
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of many books. linda brings in a whole sh*t load of experiences and stories that would take someone forever to compress, but not for the superwoman who just keeps loading one huge anecdote after another, of successes, failures, disappointments and inspirations. She talks passionately about how the world-scene of entrepreneurship and intrepreneurship is changing continually, and what it means for everyone, be it a startup, a NGO, an employee, someone unemployed ... everything.
It does seem
Diane
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Based on her experience with working with rising entrepreneurs, Rottenberg demystifies entrepreneurship. It does not just encompass "gazelle" types, such as those with big ideas in technology. The spirit of entrepreneurship can also be seen in founders of nonprofits and small businesses and in creative employees in companies. I enjoyed reading the stories of a wide variety of entrepreneurs and her useful advice, especially about the importance of starting, even if one's plans are not fully devel ...more
Chris Brimmer
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Just a too little on the cheerleader side of things from my perspective, she makes it all seem way too easy. On the other hand if you need that push to start that business or NGO or make an initiative in an organization that you're currently a part of you could worse than this book. Think of it as entrepreneurism for beginners. A major problem I had with the compositional presentation is that I could actually hear the TED Talk while I read. So I am juggling here, on the one hand there is really ...more
Danella Yaptinchay
An enjoyable book through and through! I love how Linda Rottenberg read it, enjoyed all the anecdotes she cited and appreciated all the the insights she shared. What a wonderfully comprehensive gift to entrepreneurs (and all readers). I will definitely come back to it again and again, and share her words of wisdom.

I have a newfound respect for Endeavor and hope to be an Endeavor entrepreneur one day. My kind of community development.
James
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently finished my MBA and having been an entrepreneur myself with a restaurant and national supply business for a franchise, I found many insights to things I wish I had tried. There was a great chapter of mentoring and how just seeking 1 is not enough. I also liked the thought of seeking many at all levels up down and around and that the mentors change change as you change and grow. Very insightful and something that even in my corporate role today I should be doing more of.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's not a lot new to me in this book, but it's very well written (and I read a lot anyway, so for many it wouldn't be redundant at all). It's for people who are considering breaking out of the rut into entrepreneurship and for people who have taken the leap and are trying to stabilize. It's got both practical methods and some great personal self-management. A great read if you want to build a different life for yourself.
Agus Yornet
Libro bastante cliché. Como menciona a lo último es como un gran resumen de muchos otros libros de emprendedores. Está bueno en cierto punto porque cuenta muchas historias no tan conocidas de emprendedores pero el su gran mayoría no es nada nuevo. No deja de mencionar el hecho de que la cultura es más importante que el salario, cosa que creo que está haciendo mucho mal en el ecosistema emprendedor.
Fadilah
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Based on my friend's reading recommendation, I tried this book. And yeah I love it. Linda shows the reader all the important steps in the process of entrepreneurship. Her company, Endeavour has helped many entrepreneurs and their stories are such an inspiration. No matter big or small, the 'entrepreneurship' skills are important.
Nooshin Navidi
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for independent thinkers who tend to march to their own drummer rather than being easily swayed by conventional thinking, public opinion, current trends and pop culture. People throw the term "crazy" around with increasing frequency about anyone who is different from what they're used to, or has a different outlook/response. Applies to both career and personal life. Recommend.
Kelly
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be a 4-5 star for someone new to the topic of entrepreneurship, but only a 2-3 if you're well read on the subject. This is a well-written book, but I didn't get much out of it because I had read so many of the sources that the author used to populate this book.
Nadia
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
Spoiler alert, the last chapter is a beautiful love letter to her twin daughters. Linda Rottenberg has crafted a wonderful guide with practical no-nonsense tips for idealists, dreamers, and creative thinkers. A quick and engaging read that I have recommended to others.
Kusi
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this more than I thought I would. Thought it would simply rephrase a lot of ideas I already knew about entrepreneurship and Endeavor but really it is much more. The book is loaded with great anecdotes and storytelling making it easy to read and insightful. Thanks Linda.
Alex I.
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brunch-and-books
It was a great book. While I am not in business or an aspiring entrepreneur I found the things discussed in this book to be molded to fit into my everyday life and where I see my career going. Definitely a must read for anyone in the workforce.
Danilo Policastro
Very good book!
Cynthia Wade
Excellent book for would be entrepreneurs of any type. Thoughtful and packed with practical advise.
Beverley John-Gomes
nothing new. a quick read with some catchy phrases.
Gennai
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is both interesting and inspirational. I’m sure I will read it again in the future
SUDHIR REDDY R
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book. I could relate to 80% of the book.
Artem.linco
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very motivational for an entrepreneur. Nice set of stories.
Cydnee
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stories, easy read. Linda has had a hell of a professional life.
  • Education's End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life
  • The Global Expatriate's Guide to Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat
  • Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
  • Your Inner Will: Finding Personal Strength in Critical Times
  • What the Hell Are You Doing?: The Essential David Shrigley
  • 4,000 Years of Uppity Women: Rebellious Belles, Daring Dames, and Headstrong Heroines Through the Ages
  • Becoming the Boss: New Rules for the Next Generation of Leaders
  • Work Happy: What Great Bosses Know
  • The Innovator's Hypothesis: How Cheap Experiments Are Worth More Than Good Ideas
  • The Shifts and the Shocks: How the Financial Crisis Has Changed Our Future
  • Without Their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed
  • Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis
  • The CEO Next Door: What It Takes to Get to the Top, and Succeed
  • Confessions of a Recruiting Director: A Top Recruiter Reveals Why He Said No to Thousands of Candidates--And How You Can Get the Yes
  • Project Management: Achieving Competitive Advantage
  • We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism
  • The Warren Buffett Stock Portfolio: Warren Buffett Stock Picks: Why and When He Is Investing in Them
  • Dear Woman
“If you're not called crazy when you launch something new, it means you're not thinking BIG enough.” 1 likes
“bromides.” 0 likes