Start by marking “The Seeker (Damian Seeker, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Seeker (Damian Seeker, #1)

The Seeker

(Damian Seeker #1)

London, 1657, the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell.

No one knows where Damian Seeker originated from, who his family is, or even his real name. Mothers frighten their children by telling them tales of The Seeker. All that is known of him for certain is that he is utterly loyal to Cromwell, and that nothing can be long hidden from him.

In the new, fashionable coffee houses o
Published May 7th 2015 by Quercus (first published May 2015)

Start your review of The Seeker (Damian Seeker, #1)
Maureen
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*Thank you to Netgalley and Quercus books for my free copy in exchange for a fair and honest review*

If you fancy immersing yourself in 1650's England, then this historical crime fiction can certainly do that. It's a living, breathing portrait of life during that troubled period in history.

Set during the reign of Cromwell, it brings to the fore, the man responsible for Cromwell's safety - Damian Seeker, known simply as 'The Seeker'. He might live very much in the shadows but nothing escapes his a
Paromjit
This is an atmospheric historical thriller that brilliantly captures the repercussions of the English Civil War in the 1650s. It is set in Oliver Cromwell's reign where Coffee Houses are one of the major places where news is acquired and political discussions take place. MacLean is a gifted storyteller who has the ability to construct a portal through which we can enter Cromwell's London and the royalist hotbed that is Oxford. The historical period is meticulously researched and the descriptions ...more
Veronica
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But today, his long black cloak flowing behind him as he spurred his horse towards the city, there could be no doubt that there was business of great import somewhere, and those few who saw Seeker pass gave silent thanks that whatever it was was no concern of theirs."

I loved this book. The second I finished it I was tempted to start right back at the beginning again but instead I settled for going online and pre-ordering the second book from The Book Depository. Set in November 1654, it is an e
Emma
I tried this book a couple of times and couldn’t get into it. This was my final attempt and this time I went straight through! Gradually I am filling the gaps in my knowledge of British history. The civil war, Oliver Cromwell, Roundheads and Cavaliers, the Protectorate and the New Model Army were pretty much hazy concepts for me. The only book I remember reading of this specific period is ‘As meat loves salt’, and that was quite some time ago.

We come to know Damian Seeker, an enigmatic truth see
Ceecee
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all thank you Paromjit for your recent review (4th in series) that led me to these books. Secondly, I rarely read historical fiction as having studied history and taught it for some years it annoys me if the research is flawed and the interpretation fanciful. That is most definitely not the case here. I LOVED it! The style of writing was so appropriate to the 17th century and fact and fiction were woven together seamlessly.

I liked how Puritan England of Cromwell’s protectorate was port
Angela
Wonderful historical mystery set in the 17th century during the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell. On reflection I've increased the rating to 5 stars as the book still has me thinking about it after I had finished reading.

Damien Seeker is on the hunt for who murdered John Winter and as the twists and turns of the story unfold, the truth comes to the surface. Often with surprising results. I found the story engrossing and enjoyed that the book never felt to me like it was written with a 21st centu
Bart
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 5.00
Lindsey
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't write many reviews, but I wanted to write one for this book because I thought it was great and doesn't have a lot of them on Goodreads. Maybe because it's only published by a UK publisher, and isn't even available on Amazon (US version anyway)?

I loved this book and didn't want to put it down, which doesn't happen that often for me, and not usually with historical mysteries either. The historical detail is fantastic, but it's never dry, just interspersed with the narrative, and you reall
K.J. Charles
My notes say "I'm not sure if I'm enjoying this" and then I read intently to the end of the book before concluding that actually, no I wasn't, which kind of sums it up. Set in the Cromwellian interregnum, with Damian Seeker as enforcer, torturer and secret policeman but also quester for justice and protector of the poor. Very Jack Reacher, physically huge and violent but with a moral streak, and also set up in the Reacheresque male-Mary-Sue thriller-hero way (everyone is scared of him, mothers f ...more
Pam Baddeley
Thoroughly enjoyed this crime drama set in the period of the Commonwealth following the triumph of the Parliamentary faction in the English Civil War. It captures well the paranoia that must have been endemic especially in the big cities like Bath and the capital, London, with anyone who voiced the slightest criticism of the regime hauled off to a nasty fate.

The main plotline follows the attempt of Damian Seeker, high up in the Commonwealth's security/spy services to discover who murdered a key
Logan
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and cleverly plotted. This was a mystery, but it was almost more of a spy thriller that kept me guessing and in the dark for most of the book. I would love to back and read this book from the beginning now that I know what was going on with each character. I loved the complexity and the writing.
Marina
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the setting of London and the twist was unexpected
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic book, by this fine Scottish lady author, has been my very first reading experience, and I have to admit that it has been a delightful occasion.
At the beginning of the book you'll notice a real informative Historical Note of England in AD 1654, followed with a great list of Dramatis Personae, before it starts off with an intriguing prologue.
Story-telling is of a top-notch quality, the characters, whether they are real historical or fictional figures, come all vividly to life within
Stephen
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this new series based during the commonwealth and the mysterious mr seeker who works for Cromwell and works in the shadows. the plot centres around the murder of one of cromwell's soldiers in Whitehall and royalist plots as the action takes place in London and oxford and as the book goes on we learn more about seeker the man. think that fans of cj sansom would enjoy this as well. ...more
Leah
They seek him here...

Oliver Cromwell has set himself up as de facto monarch of England, living in Charles Stuart's palace surrounded by luxury. Surrounded also by plots and plotters, he has a spy network to look after his safety and that of the Commonwealth. Amongst them is Seeker, aka The Seeker. When a man apparently loyal to Cromwell is killed, it falls to Seeker aka The Seeker to find out whodunit and why.

I'm going to be perfectly honest here and say that I didn't have a clue what was going
Keith Currie
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The English Civil War is over, Royalists defeated, King Charles executed, England under the rule of Oliver Cromwell, a People’s Commonwealth reminiscent of Stalin’s Russia. But Cromwell’s rule is new and fearful of royal restoration. The much feared and mysterious Damian Seeker is an instrument of the regime, employed to seek out plots, dissidence and revolution and to crush them.
What a fascinating novel this is! It could so easily have fallen into any number of traps, but the author deftly conf
Mark Harrison
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. New author for me and great murder mystery in the time of Oliver Cromwell. When one of his close allies is killed Damien Seeker is tasked with sorting it all out. Seeker is a sombre and unfriendly type but ruthless in the chase. Good story in a period of English history that was politicallly a powder keg. Really pleased to have picked this up.
Jo
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seeker is an agent for Oliver Cromwell who is tasked with finding the murderer of an army officer. This was a fantastic thriller set during the Commonwealth, a period in England's history that is reminiscent of Stalin's Russia with the spies and lack of free speech, etc. ...more
Kate
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Some very clever elements to it as the ground constantly shifts beneath our expectations. Loved Damian Seeker.

Allie Riley
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just wonderful. Clearly this was very well researched. In addition to Cromwell, there are a few other real people and it was a delight to look them up and find out more about them (William Davenant, Lucy Hutchinson, John Winter). Well plotted with excellent characterisation. Damian Seeker in particular is fascinating. The mystery kept me guessing and was resolved well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Ewald Ring
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A very well researched historical novel and at the same time full of mystery and intrigue. MacLean plunges us into a world brimming with supporters of the Commonwealth as well as royalists, merchants, lawyers and pamphleteers, spies. The reader is carried forward by the story and enthralled by the turns and twists of the plot of this historical murder-mystery, spy novel.

At the centre there is a mystery that is set up by the first pages of the book. MacLean manages to recreate an authentic feel
Anna
Despite loving historical fiction, Oliver Cromwell's England and the two King Charles' either side of it has never been an era of interest to me; I've tried many but finished few.

With the added bonus of a good juicy murder mystery, this book might have been the one to break the cycle but it also went the way of a DNF. It's well written and researched, and with a different time would probably have worked for me, but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for either cause.

Time to accept once and f
SuedePuzzler
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book, I think, for people who like historical crime fiction. The time and place of Cromwell's England is well depicted and the plot is gripping. This is not the Merry Old England you would find in an Ellis Peters book, but a fairly gritty and violent depiction of the past, though mixed with depictions of human kindness and some romance.

The author chooses to depict most characters as sympathetic to a least some extent while making them all men and women of their brutal and unenlightened t
Jim
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
London,1654,Oliver Cromwell is at the height of his power and has declared himself Lord Protector. London is a teaming warren of spies, merchants,priests,exlies,solders and assassins.One of the web`s most fearsome spiders is Damian Seeker,agent of the Lord Protector. The murder of John Winter,hero of Cromwell`s all powerful army,is dead and the lawyer,Elias Ellingworth,found standing over the bleeding body,cluting a knife. This is not just a cracking Historical novel but also a great "who done i ...more
Daniella Bernett
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly gripping spy thriller that takes place in the turbulent time of Oliver Cromwell. Filled with intrigue, deception and a touch of romance. I eagerly await the second book in this new series.
Laura Vinti
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an engrossing story! I couldn't put it down and ended up staying up way too late to finish it.
I wasn't hooked right away (I found the writing style at the beginning a bit off-putting, with its repeated lists of several sentences linked by commas, and I wasn't sure I wanted to root for a ruthless spy in the service of Oliver Cromwell), but by the end of chapter 2 I was intrigued. The historical setting is very convincing (I loved the description of 1600s London, crawling with spies and rebel
Louise Allen
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hooked by this. The setting, the character, the mystery. Loved Damian Seeker - apparently the villain, but actually a complex and fascinating hero. Wish there were more than 2 in the series!
Olya
Jan 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Somewhere in the 70+ pages of buildup to the story, the author completely lost me.
Timelord Iain
Not sure if it was the narration, but the tone of this book was unexpectedly harsh...
Clyde
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"And I wept for a monster who had not known he was one until his master rendered him so."

Welcome welcome.  I'm back with a book review!  Have you been waiting long enough?

I have to admit that it was a cover-buy & also discount-buy.  BUY TWO AND GET ONE HALF-PRICE.  Waterstones do know how to make a good promotion.  In fact, historical fiction isn't really my to-go genre.  Or let's just say that I avoid it as possible as I can.

Well...anyway, here's me giving you my true opinion on this book.

Thing
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Saucy Wenches Boo...: The Seeker by S.G. MacLean 23 10 Jun 29, 2017 06:06PM

• The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1)
  • A Game of Sorrows (Alexander Seaton, #2)
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • The Devil's Recruit (Alexander Seaton, #4)
  • The Serpent's Mark (Nicholas Shelby, #2)
  • The Saracen's Mark (Nicholas Shelby, #3)
  • The Angel's Mark (Nicholas Shelby #1)
  • The Queen's Devil: A William Constable Spy Thriller (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 3)
  • Execution (Giordano Bruno, #6)
  • State of Treason (William Constable, #1)
  • The Dead of Winter
  • A Death at Fountains Abbey
  • A Necessary Killing (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 2)
  • The King’s Evil (Marwood and Lovett #3)
  • The Last Confession of Thomas Hawkins (Tom Hawkins, #2)
  • The Ruffler's Child (Thomas the Falconer Mystery #1)
  • The Last Protector (Marwood and Lovett #4)
  • The Ramage Hawk (Thomas the Falconer Mystery #3)

Damian Seeker (5 books)
  • The Black Friar (Damian Seeker, #2)
  • Destroying Angel (Damian Seeker #3)
  • The Bear Pit (Damian Seeker, #4)
  • The House of Lamentations (Damian Seeker, #5)