Start by marking “The Knave of Hearts (Rhymes With Love #5)” as Want to Read:
The Knave of Hearts (Rhymes With Love #5)

The Knave of Hearts

(Rhymes With Love #5)

In the fifth novel of the captivating Rhymes With Love series from New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Boyle, a young woman's hopes of a match encounter a wickedly handsome complication . . .

Lavinia Tempest has been eagerly anticipating a spectacular season. But one disastrous pile-up on the Almack's dance floor derails all her plans. Add to that, the very stunning
Published January 26th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Knave of Hearts, please sign up.

Anne
Sep 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Rakes & Hoes
You know, for a knave the main character isn't all that...rascally? He's pretty tame by most standards. In fact, I can't think of ONE thing he does to deserve the title.
And the winner of Most Boring Rake goes to...
Captain Abs on the cover!

description

Anyway.
This wasn't a bad trashy romance novel, but it wasn't great, either. The heroine is sorta likable, and so is the hero. Nobody was super annoying, skeevy, rapey, or idiotic. <--Bonus!
The story also appears to be one of those that has an underlying mys
Alyssa

Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: January 26, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sissy's Romance Book Review
This is book five in the "Rhymes With Love" series. I have read most of the books in this series and with that in mind I feel this is a standalone book. But I have been enjoying the series and would suggest reading the others just for the enjoyment.
Lavinia Tempest and her twin sister is having their first Season. They are having a lot to overcome with the talk of her dead mother and her affairs. Also that they are not very graceful. Lavinia is not good at dancing and has been asked by Alaster "
*TANYA*
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was very funny and witty. Lavinia is clumsy and always quoting proper manners she seeks out in a mate. Tuck meets none of those expectations, he's a knave, but they still fall for each other. Fun, quirky book.
Lorka
Jan 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
The only good thing about this book is the super cute guy on the cover. So much better than the old Fabio days. Besides that.... I can't believe I am the only one to give this book a 1-star with a comment. So here goes... The story opens up with the hero being told by his uncle to dance with the heroine to help her with her first season. The poor girl already had negativity following her due to clumsiness. So they start dancing, the hero looks across the ballroom, sees his BFF starting to get in ...more
Elodie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do not know if it was because it was a busy weekend but I had a more difficult time to immerse at first in this story but by the end I did enjoyed this read as much as the previous book.
Plus I hoped to see the romance about Lord Charleston and Lady Avenue find its conclusion.
Whatever, it was an entertaining and funny read with a prim and proper young miss letting things go loose to find her true self while the hero has to reconcile his past with the present and accept he can’t change what was
AnnMarie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Knave of Hearts is the 5th book in the Rhymes With Love series by Elizabeth Boyle. I haven't read the previous books, so can confirm that this book can be read as a stand alone one.

The story revolves around Lavinia Tempest and Alaster (Tuck) Rowland. She is a young woman who is about to have her debut into society with her twin sister. It's a brave move considering her mother's sordid past has recently become the subject of gossip amongst the 'ton'. But she is determined to find herself a hu
Angela
DNF at chapter 4. Just can't do it. I wasn't a fan of Lavinia or Tuck in The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane, and they haven't done anything to redeem themselves to me in this book. The first couple chapters were bhooooring... hashing out events that happened in the previous book in far greater detail than necessary. A lot of time is spent explaining just how clumsy Lavinia is, and she's completely self-centered. Sorry folks. I know many of you have high praise for this book but I just can't go ...more
Michele
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, romance
at one point I accidentally skipped 2 pages that stuck together and IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER. 50% of this book could have been cut out. it was so repetitive.

I'm still giving it 2 stars because it is Elizabeth Boyle and it was still sometimes fun romance.
Debby "Piene Raven"
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-a-b
Anticipating a spectacular season, Miss Lavinia Tempest never anticipated being ruined and marred by her mother's scandelous affair. Because of that, she now holds herself to a created list of proper rules, a list where none of the rules prepare her to lose her heart to everything that is improper, especially to well-known Knave, Alastar "Tuck" Rowland.

Although Tuck means well with trying to right the wrongs that he has done to Livvy, he finds that in all his teaching, he becomes the student in
DemetraP
Jun 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
The hero was a jerk. He is drunk all the time and lives on credit (because he's the heir) and his uncle asks him to dance with her. So he does, only he leaves her on the dance floor in the middle of a dance because he sees his friend might need "back up" for a fight. She loses her balance and crashes into a woman, who gets her petticoat flipped over her head.

The ton stops inviting her and her sister anywhere.

Hero decides he can fix this by teaching her to dance. Only she's a klutz and can only
Kristina Birch
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finally the Tempest sisters both get their HEA! I loved Louisa's story and was beyond excited for Lavinia's, and boy did Elizabeth Boyle deliver! Long held secrets, a vendetta, con artist family members and at the heart of it all two genuinely good people trying to do what's right fall in love! This Knave and his card sharp lady have moved on to my keeper shelf.
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! Great narrator!
Bambi Unbridled
This is only my second read from the Rhymes With Loves series, having unknowingly started the series in the middle with The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (TVWLDTL). Luckily that previous book featured Louisa Tempest and Viscount Wakefield, who are featured heavily in this book as it happens somewhat contemporaneously with TVWLDTL. It's my understanding that most of the series can be read as standalones... however I would recommend reading TVWLDTL before this one since it involves twin sisters ...more
Diana
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: rftc
original post at: http:http://ramblingsfromthischick.blogspo...
and http://booknerdloleotodo.spot.com
“The Knave of Hearts” by Elizabeth Boyle was a sweet and enjoyable story. I’ve long wanted to read Boyle and was happy that I finally got the chance to. Although this is the fifth book in the series I did not find that I missed out on the story and this is easily a stand-a-lone.

Lavinia Temptest was a sweet heroine. I really liked her and thought she was fun. She is in London making her debut with
Aemelia
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Coming to London to be introduced to society and find a husband was Lavinia Tempest's dearest wish. Unfortunately, her dazzling debut was ruined with a tumble at Almack's and a scandal her mother caused years ago. Lavinia's sister, Louisa has found love and happiness and while she is happy for her sister, she still feels a bit out of sorts. Lavinia is determined to be a proper lady and to follow her list of dos and don'ts, but can she overcome the shadows that are trailing her and find happiness ...more
Teril
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2016
Lavinia Tempest has had high hopes for her season, but after a disastrous dance at Almacks with Tuck Rowland her prospects are dropping and her dance cards are empty. After being shunned by the Ton, and alienated by Society Lavinia is ready to give up and go to the country.

Tuck has made a wager, the knave that he is, that Lavinia will be a lady of the first water and the darling of the season. Tuck must rally some forces to assist Lavinia in becoming popular, but also keep his wager secret from
Barbara Rogers
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have loved ALL of the books in this series. It follows a number of the inhabitants of a small village named Kempton -- the village is full of spinsters. In this series, a number of them are getting their HEA's. This is the 5th book of the series.

In book #4 (The Viscount Who Lived Down The Lane) twin sisters Louisa and Lavinia Tempest come to London for their season. Louisa and Viscount Wakefield get their HEA and set up the story for Lavinia and Tuck.

This book covers a parallel timeline and sh
Kate
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars? This book had some issues - namely that it take place in large part at the same time as did Louisa and Piers's book, so it felt like some scenes were missing between the sisters and the friends. And also, some scenes were missing in general. Especially toward the end. (view spoiler) ...more
Tracy T.
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good story, good narration by Susan Duerden (audible review)

This was a decent story, not my favorite of the series, but still an enjoyable listen. I liked the heroine Lavinia she was fun, and not always so proper LOL. I liked Tuck too. They did have some good chemistry and attraction to each other. It was real an not forced. There is one sex scene at the end that was very mildly nicely written.

The story line seemed to drag a bit until about 50% then picked up a bit. It did take me a littl
Arshia
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lavina has tired to do everything in her power to have a successful season. However, with one dance her chances of a good match are ruined. All of this is one person's fault. Alaster Rowland is barely accepted by society, his uncle is sponsoring the Tempest sisters for a London season. He knows he isn't good enough for Lavina but his mistake costs her. He also makes the mistake of betting that he can make Lavina into an Original. I call it mistake not because she has no chance but because when i ...more
Cheesecake
Tuck and Livie. Well it ties up most of the loose ends left from the last book, but I found I didn't care as much. Tuck, while in his cups, makes a wager with Ilford, that he can make the Tempest twins the diamonds of this year's 'season'. There are a lot of threads to the story but none of them really pan out like you think or wish they will. Lavinia has devoted her life to making sure she can never be confused with her loose skirted mother. She holds her life to a list of rules that in no way ...more
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tag-reviewed
So, there is a difference between one's expectation of a film and of a cartoon. With the former, you're expecting a degree of realism; with a cartoon, you're prepared to let more things go - it may not be realistic, the characters will probably not develop, the backgrounds will be sketchy, reactions will be exaggerated rather than subtle etc etc. It would probably have helped if I had thought of this book as a cartoon when I was reading it, and I could then have appreciated it more on its own te ...more
Kimia Safavi
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Knave is another wonderful and funny historical romance by Elizabeth Boyle.
Lavinia Tempest and Alaster Tuck are two adorable characters with a one big problem.
When Tuck let Lavinia fall on the Almack's dance floor, he ruined her chance of a spectacular season. Now he needs to save her reputation and try not to lose his wager too.

This is a page turner romance that keep you entertained with fun characters and great plots.

ARomanceLover
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Tuck bets he can turn Livy into a diamond. At first, I found both annoying but I warmed up to Tuck by the end, and Livy a little. Mostly, I had issues with the audiobook because I hated the cadence of the narrator. Overall, it was a cute installment in the series.
Mariana
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you ejoyed the fourth Rhymes of Love book, The Viscount who Lived Down the Lane as I did, definitely read this one. Some of the time overlaps, just from Lavinia's point of view rather than Louisa's.
Jenny Koch
Cute, fun book with minimal melodrama - but there's just low potential for a re-read for me personally.
Annette
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the many things I like about Ms Boyle's books is the lovely writing. And her sense of humor makes everything even better.

Lavinia and Louisa have come to town for their first season. They are daughters of a woman who has a terrible reputation. Both girls are proper young ladies who are not only beautiful but intelligent and charming.

Those qualities will not mean much to the “ton”.

When Tuck is asked to dance with Lavinia to get her off to a good start, he acts like a jerk. This is not the
May Grider
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book but it was surprising hard to get into. Mostly because the first half of it was a rehash of the previous book but from another character's perspective.

I liked Lavinia and I liked Tuck but I didn't love them the way I have loved some of Ms. Boyle's other characters.

I wish I could say that 'boring' isn't the word that comes to mind when trying to find the right adjective for this book, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

I'm really hoping that the next and final book in
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Connie (The Daughters of Allamont Hall, #3)
  • The Spinster Bride (Lords and Ladies #4)
  • Slightly Wicked / Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga #2-3)
  • Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • His Reluctant Lady (Marriage by Scandal, #3)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
  • The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior (Dukes Behaving Badly, #1)
  • The Viscount's Blazing Love (Fire and Smoke #3)
  • Element 42 (Sabel Security #3)
  • The Wayward One (The de Montforte Brothers, #5)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • The Maddening Lord Montwood (The Rakes of Fallow Hall, #3)
  • No Greater Glory (The Cutteridge Family #1)
  • Lady Claire Is All That (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #3)
  • Passionately Yours
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
  • The Duke in My Bed (The Heirs' Club of Scoundrels, #1)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.

Rhymes With Love (6 books)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)
  • If Wishes Were Earls (Rhymes With Love, #3)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • Six Impossible Things (Rhymes With Love, #6)
“without the stars there to remind us, whatever would we reach for?” Her” 0 likes