Start by marking “She Sat He Stood: What Do Your Characters Do While They Talk?” as Want to Read:
She Sat He Stood: What Do Your Characters Do While They Talk?

She Sat He Stood: What Do Your Characters Do While They Talk?

Geared for the new and intermediate writer, this insightful ebook on writing dialogue from award winning author Ginger Hanson focuses on how to incorporate body language, props, and setting into scenes to give your dialogue more depth. Based on a workshop she presented at regional, national, and online writing conferences, Ms. Hanson draws on examples from books, movies, a ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by Saderra Publishing (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about She Sat He Stood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Sat He Stood

Claudia
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Useful book. I learned a few things and reinforced others I had forgotten.
It was exactly what I expected this book to be so I'm pretty satisfied with it.
My only problem is that it was kind of boring. It took me a long time to finish it, despite being such a short read, because I didn't find the voice of the author that entertaining.
Overall, a good book of writing dialogue and making it more interesting.
Anna Erishkigal
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No more talking bubble-heads!!!

This is one of those short little 'solve the problem' writing skills book that delivers exactly what it promises. Your critique partner throws your manuscript back into your face scorning 'Bah! Talking bubble heads!' and this little book will help you figure out how to weave bodily action into your dialogue to make it seem more realistic.

Now I gave this book 5-stars because it goes beyond the usual 'go back and add body movement' advice by giving you a brief primer
Tracey Pedersen
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had this book for nearly six months before I got around to reading it. But I'm glad I finally did. The information is really useful and for a new fiction writer you might just feel that this is what has been missing from your writing. Characters moving around are a pivotal part of a story. We've all had that experience where we have to flick back through the pages when our character steps out of an elevator that they already stepped out of two pages ago haven't we?

Well worth studying this info
Patricia
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Useful little book :)
Libre Paley
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: creative writers, authors
I have often considered this when writing, what your characters should be doing whilst they talk to make the dialogue more realistic, to help to set or enhance the scene, and give the speech more strength overall. On the one hand we don’t sit like mannequins when we speak, plus body language gives so much away (nervous fiddling, avoiding gazes, and so on); on the other, I worry about giving characters too much too do, creating distraction – i.e. less can be more.
Anyway, I found Hanson’s book a u
K.C.
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another reminder to those of us in the craft to pay attention to fundamentals of style

Is the book readable? Yes.
Is the advice useful? You bet!
Is there anything new or unique here? No.
Another useful reminder comes to those in the craft to imagine more thoroughly and populate our settings more deeply.
Chelidona
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-advice
For the price, this is an unbeatable introduction to dialogue with some good general writing tips crammed in too!
My only complaint is the formatting - the example scenes were formatted exactly the same way as the rest of the book, which made it a bit harder for me to study them ... you read the examples differently than the explanations/theory and formatting could have helped there.
B.A. A. Mealer
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good reference for writers.

This book tied description together. Many writers forget that there are five senses, body .pavements other than a nod or shrug. There's are a lot of gems co trained on this book for the aspiring writer to use.
Sue Lilley
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Useful and concise, although to call it a guide to writing dialogue is a bit misleading. There was hardly anything about actual speech. It was all about setting, props and body language which was fine but not what I was expecting.
April
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great craft book.

Breaks down a complex element of story writing into finite executable steps. Great for a writers armamentarium. Well worth the time and money!
Erin Grey
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short but makes the point

It takes less than an hour to read but if you work through the exercises provided you should end up with rich, well-structured, absorbing dialogue.
Peter Bradley
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Please give me a helpful vote on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/review/RI8EMWB...

Delivers on its promise.

As a reader, I've read thousands of pages of dialogue, and never paid any particular attention to the techniques of engaging dialogue. When it came time to try my hand at writing, however, I discovered that it easier to read dialogue than write it. The mechanics of coordination action with dialogue is a lot harder than it looks. This book suggests some practical techniques for writing dialog
Jack
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A short, but very interesting book. Giving characters something to do while decreasing the number of repetitive dialogue tags is an important aspect of fiction writing. This book gave some good hints on how to go about that, along with using action to create beats within dialogue. The author also has some good resources on her website, such as common physiological actions associated with different emotions. Overall, its a pretty good resource.
Ally Cabella
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can I give it 10 STARS?!?

This little book is PACKED with great information and examples. Shows how to bring characters to life without an info-dump that brings the reader out of the moment. She gives before and after examples to illustrate her points. A must-have for all aspiring writers!
Edward Antrobus
My new year's resolution this year was to finish the novel I started 20 years ago. This book was recommended to me in a Facebook group and I thought it would be a good idea. I love how the author walks the reader through each step, talking about the research of body language and providing examples from her own writing.
Linda
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't think I learned much that I didn't already know, Ms. Hanson does a have nice, chatty way of presenting the material so it feels like a friend sharing information with the reader. She simplifies things so somebody new to writing will understand it well.
Thiago d'Evecque
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Livrinho curto e com informações valiosíssimas sobre diálogos e como usar suas entrelinhas (beats) para revelar cenário, emoções, personalidade e etc., em vez de se apoiar excessivamente nos "ele disse", "ela disse". Um dos meus favoritos para a prateleira de escrita.
Kate
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good ideas

This is a well written book for writers who want to improve their skills. I found many "gems " in it and will be utilizing this book as I continue learning to write realistic and intriguing characters. I highly recommend this book to new and seasoned writers.
Jannette Spann
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very seldom do I give a 5 star review on an educational book, but this one is different. Ms. Hanson's smooth writing style made for an enjoyable read. As a writer, I believe the visualizations given in this book will stick with me when I need them the most.
J. Alyn
Required reading for a lot of the beginning authors that I read. As a beginner, I sure learned a lot.
Blair Hodgkinson
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helpful resource for writers, with some very useful tips!
Leticia
This book is a good solution against the talking-heads problem on dialogue. I enjoyed it. Writers can benefit from thinking like settings-designers and prop masters while creating their settings.
Eva Holmquist
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice read with lots of interesting information. I'll certainly use it in my next writing projekt. Also lots of resources
Yvonne
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very practical and helpful.

I especially liked the information on body language and how to incorporate that with props to make dialogue seem more realistic.
Olena Rosul
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I think the method presented in this book can be very helpful to any author. I only wish the book contained more examples.
Kayla Krantz
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: random
This was a helpful guide about the importance of body language in dialogue. The exercises were very useful, but there wasn't as much in depth talk about facial expressions in dialogue as I hoped for.
Michael Murphy
A decent short primer for the use of body language and beats in dialogue. Well worth the price, and you can read it in an hour or two.
Alexandru Constantin
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
A fantastic writing manual focused on writing dialog. It helped me understand the concept of beats in dialog.
L.A. Jacob
Mar 18, 2015
Wendy MacKnight
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Mugging the Muse
  • Writing Deep Point Of View: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 13)
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book (Helping Writers Become Authors 2)
  • Action, Emotion, Surprise and More (Writing Active Hooks #1)
  • Writing Deep Scenes: Plotting Your Story Through Action, Emotion, and Theme
  • Writing the Fiction Series: The Complete Guide for Novels and Novellas
  • Story Fix: Transform Your Novel from Broken to Brilliant
  • The 12 Key Pillars of Novel Construction: Your Blueprint for Building a Strong Story (The Writer's Toolbox Series)
  • Fire up Your Fiction: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Stories
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • The Mental Game of Writing: How to Overcome Obstacles, Stay Creative and Productive, and Free Your Mind for Success
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
  • Perfecting Plot: Charting the Hero's Journey (Red Sneaker Writers Book Series) (Volume 3)
Ginger Hanson writes contemporary and historical fiction novels as well as articles and short stories. Ellie's Song, the second book in her contemporary romance series set in Tassanoxie. AL. was published in 2011. Her Regency historical romance, Lady Runaway was published in 2009 and marked a change of pace from her two earlier award-winning Civil War historical adventure romances.

Ms. Hanson has a
“Here’s a basic learning tip. You don’t get better at something if you don’t do it.” 0 likes