Start by marking “Der Psychiater” as Want to Read:
Der Psychiater

Der Psychiater

Timothy Warner, Spitzname "Moth", studiert Geschichte an der University of Miami - und er hat ein massives Drogenproblem. Jetzt ist er seit hundert Tagen "clean", doch das hat er nur mit Hilfe seines Onkels Ed geschafft, eines prominenten Psychiaters und so etwas wie Moths Rettungsanker. Als Ed tot in seiner Praxis aufgefunden wird, stürzt Moth ins Bodenlose. Niemals war d ...more
Published April 1st 2015 by Droemer HC (first published November 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Der Psychiater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Psychiater

Start your review of Der Psychiater
Delee

I first was introduced to John Katzenbach in high school. I used to skip down to my older brother's basement apartment in our house- to bother him when I was bored- and he would stick a book or album in my hand quite quickly (to get me out of his hair). "Here...read this/listen to this"- he would say. This time it was the novel- In the Heat of the Summer...and a fan was born.

THE DEAD STUDENT took a bit of time for me to get into. I am usually pretty easy to please- and raaaaarely bitch or compl
Esil
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
There's something surreal about The Dead Student. I'm not sure it's meant to come across that way, but it felt to me as though the story floats somewhere above reality. Timothy -- who goes by the name Moth -- is a recovering alcoholic graduate student. His uncle -- who is a psychiatrist and recovering alcoholic and Moth's biggest champion -- appears to have committed suicide, but Moth is convinced that his uncle was murdered. Moth enlists an ex girlfriend -- who goes by the name Andy Candy -- an ...more
Denisse
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Katzenbach Fans
Read for the 2015 Reading Challenge: #16 A book from an author you love that you haven’t read yet.

I recommend this thriller to anyone who already likes the author. It has a very fast-pace plot, good characters and interesting villain. But it’s not the best thing Katzenbach has written. So if you’re new with the author I suggest try another one and then, if you like him, pick up this one. Fans of the genre will enjoy it, the perfect summer read.

"la verdad tiene que estar en alguna parte, y v
Elyse  Walters
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5
Timothy: Take away the first two letters of his name-the last two-and you've got *MOTH*!

Only a few people left in Timothy's personal life still call him *Moth*. One of those people was his Uncle Ed. (psychiatrist, recovered alcoholic, and Moth's sponsor in AA).

Moth is a stellar student, (magna cum laude from the University of Miami). He has an undergraduate degree in American History, and is is continuing at the university to obtain a doctorate in Jeffersonian studies.
Moth also has a poli
Louise Wilson
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy (Moth) a PhD student is also a recovering alcoholic. Ed is Moth's Uncle is a successful psychiatrist a recovering alcoholic and Moth's sponsor. On his 99th day sober Moth's Uncle does not turn up to an AA meeting they had arranged to meet at. Moth goes in search of him and finds his Uncle with a bullet through his temple. The police say it's suicide but Moth is certain his Uncle would not take his own life and enlists his ex girlfriend to help him find out the truth.
I would like to thank
Merryl
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Intensely irritating use of nickname "Andy Candy" on nearly all pages and a storyline that just wasn't engaging enough for me. Abandoned this book halfway through...
 Reading Reindeer Cobwebbed
REVIEW: THE DEAD STUDENT by John Katzenbach

A compelling and truly deeply convoluted novel of psychological suspense, terror, addiction and recovery, psychosis, revenge, and murder. Yes, this novel contains all that, and rivets the reader. Commencing with the apparent suicide of noted middle-aged Miami psychiatrist, the storyline proves to be not only contemporary, but three decades in the making; with a cold, clever, planning killer who is not the garden-variety psychopath.
Gatorman
Generally likable but ultimately disappointing tale from Katzenbach about an alcoholic grad student who begins to investigate the apparent suicide of his uncle as a murder. He teams up with his ex-girlfriend and a coke-addicted prosecutor on the trail of a man with a grudge against those he believes did him wrong in medical school. The story starts off well but drags for a while and never really picks its steam back up. Doesn't have the same gritty edge that Katzenbach fans are used to. The clim ...more
Margaret
Three and a half stars for a really good crime/revenge story. Towards the end something was missing but nevertheless it kept my interest .
Barbara
A Publishers Weekly top 10 mystery & thriller for fall
An Amazon book of the month in the mystery/thriller category
A finalist for the Killer Nashville 2015 Silver Falchion Award for Best Novel

I haven’t read any of Katzenbach’s previous works, so the DEAD STUDENT is my introduction to him as an author. I was not disappointed. I wanted a readable mystery/thriller and this was highly recommended.

It’s difficult to review a mystery without spoiler alerts. The basic premise is that the main character’s
Ben
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Student, in a nutshell, is about an ordinary dude seeking revenge on a psychopath. I like almost every tale of vengeance I've read, and I liked this one too. There was high tension throughout...in fact, in the buildup to the climax my heart rate actually accelerated. A book did that. Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it was my AFib.

Or possibly it was just an engaging story. If you get past the slow start I guarantee you'll be compelled to finish this one quickly.

But I've gotta be ho
Rachel Bridgeman
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Katzenbach is an author I always forget how much I enjoy reading, so was very grateful to Netgalley for letting me read this in return for an honest review. In this book, Moth, an alcoholic histoiry student is left reeling from the death of his beloved uncle, who also stood as his sponsor/mentor at AA meetings. Convinced it was not a suicide, rather a murder made to look so, he sets about trying to get someone in a postion of authority to look past his addiction issues and find the perpetra ...more
Ruth Ann
It looks like an open and shut case of suicide. A note lies on his uncle's desk, handwritten, saying "My fault." Moth notices things he cannot yet comprehend that make him think otherwise.

After Moth's precarious sobriety fails and springs back, he calls his former girlfriend Andrea, Andy Candy, whom he has not spoken to in four years. Their friendship is renewed and Andy provides something Moth desperately needs: transportation.

What deeply bothers me is this - Andy alludes to a problem, which t
Pia
It's been a long time since I read a John Katzenbach book, and I'm sorry to say I wasn't impressed by this one.

When Timothy -Moth- Warner's uncle dies, it is ruled a suicide. But Moth knows better. His uncle is also his AA sponsor, and he would never leave his nephew alone. He then asks his ex girlfriend Andrea (also known as Andy Candy... and sorry, I just couldn't get over this ridiculous name) to help him discover his uncle's killer.

With help from a prosecutor who is also an addict, Andrea an
Sandy
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the book. I thought it was a pretty good story but it made me nuts every time the author referred to the female friend of Moth by the name of Andy Candy. Call the woman Andy and be done with it. Want to mention the name and nickname story fine but it became a total distraction in the story. I did think the author did a credible job of portraying what an addict will go through every day of sobriety. The villain in this book was very well done I thought although all his persona's a b ...more
Mary Mojica
I always enjoy a good psychological thriller. The characters in a story can evolve in many different ways and choosing a specific one is a captivating task. I loved "The analyst", it's my favourite thriller so far. "The dead student" has its own solid story, but I didn't feel thoroughly captured by it.
♥ Marlene♥
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, thriller, fiction
Another very enjoyable read by John Katzenback. It did remind me of the Analyst but in a good way,
The characters were relatable because of the faults they had. I liked the plot so yes. Good book. 3.8
Joanie Driemeyer
Not my type of writing style. Also a preposterous plot.
Julie Kellner
Feb 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
if you have never read Katzenbach before, this is the wrong book to read. i have been reading him for many and harts war is one of my favourite. the characters in this book were annoying with a disjointed plot with no real resolution. very disappointed
OMalleycat
This book wants to be a Harlan Coben thriller but it falls so, so short. The action is constantly interrupted by repetitive delving into characters' thoughts and multiple changes of point of view within scant pages or even between paragraphs. I generally don't like books where we are given the pov of the killer and I especially don't like it when the same thoughts/information are repeated over and over again. Add to that the thoughts of three investigative main characters and sometimes brief min ...more
Corny
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This the first book I have read by this author and I will not be reading any more. A good premise is spoiled by pages and pages of overwriting, unnecessary analogies and drivel. I skimmed most of it stopping occasionally when the plot advanced. Having attended many Al-Anon meetings and some AA meetings, I was shocked at the behavior of the recovering alcoholics in the Redeemer One meetings that our hero attended. At least if you are going to call it an AA meeting, take the trouble to understand ...more
Daniel
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Warner, discovers his uncle's body, the victim of an apparent suicide. Only Timothy doesn't believe that for one minute. With the help of a former girlfriend and the investigating DA they stumble upon a killing spree that was thirty years in the making.
I rated it a solid 3 stars but thought there were parts that seemed a little drawn out. The ending seemed to go on forever.
Zeenia
*2.75-3.00 stars, I feel like this was way longer than it should have been. The story was good but the middle just dragged on and I felt like I was forced to keep reading, not bad, not my favourite though!
Sasha
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Well what do you know, I finally read a book this year! It's been really hard to get into reading, even with series that are on-going or finished, where I still have a few books to read. I hope I'll get around to those sooner rather than later. This book was a good change of the daunting reading list of the series-as-yet-to-be-finished. I found a discounted copy at my bookstore of choice so I thought I'd give it a shot. Ages ago I had read a Katzenbach book and remembered liking it so it didn't ...more
Antimidas
I was turned on to Katzenbach by a fellow bar-goer who was reading him while enjoying a beer. Though this was not the book he was reading, he rated his highly enough to get me interested. He compared the style to Lee Child -- a comparison that I don't quite see after reading just this one book.

Having discovered that Katzenbach had written Just Cause, I decided to check out his books from the library. Oddly, most were waitlisted. This one remained as the only one currently available.

It is not th
Lilanthi
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Warner (Moth) a brilliant History undergraduate is a recovering alcoholic. His uncle Ed, a leading Psychiatrist who also is a recovering alcoholic, is his lifeline to sobriety and survival.
When Uncle Ed fails to turn up at the AA meeting at Redeemer One as promised, Moth goes in search of him only to discover the body of his beloved uncle with a gunshot wound on his temple and a gun lying close to his outstretched arm.
The Police pronounce it as a suicide and the case is closed. Reeling f
Kathy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to audiobook (not CD).

Highly reviewed by The Washington Times, Publishers Weekly, and Booklist, this well-plotted thriller was way too long for me. There were several points at which the book could have been wrapped up and I would have much preferred if it had.

I object to its misrepresentation of AA/NA meetings, which bear little resemblance to those described here. The repetitive use of the female protagonist's nickname, which might be skimmed over while reading but was extraordinarily
Zora
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.75 stars? Excellent idea and characters I liked.

But the structure was wobbly. It wandered. It got wordy. For instance, two characters are individually thinking they might be attracted to the other think "Maybe I'll touch him/her. Maybe not" or some other rewording of this about six times each. It gets boring to the point you really don't care one way or the other.

Omniscient viewpoint...sometimes. I know most readers don't know or care, but I rather do. Pick two viewpoint characters, three at
Bookread2day
A few writers understand the criminal mind.
Timothy Moth Warner is a postgrad student and recovering alcoholic.
This is what Moth came to understand.
Addiction and murder have one thing in common
In each, someone will want you to confess
I'm a killer
Or
I'm an addict
He never thought either confession or concession was part of his emotional makeup. He did know that addiction was. He was unsure about killing, but he was determined that before too long he would find out.
Laura Ramirez
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the way the book wraps you to the story right away! Also how it is developed in a way that looks like a movie!
The only thing I don't give it a 5 stars it's it that at the end, it made too long to finish what it was happening! Felt myself like it was already enough of the same topic all over again! But besides that I think it was a book that kept me reading till the end and intrigued of what was going to happen next! I'd deffinitely recommend it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Das Joshua-Profil
  • Tuya
  • Las viudas de los jueves
  • Las grietas de Jara
  • Lo mucho que te amé
  • Yo no la maté
  • La noche de la Usina
  • The Nazi and the Psychiatrist: Hermann Göring, Dr. Douglas M. Kelley, and a Fatal Meeting of Minds at the End of WWII
  • The Simpsons Family History
  • Los crímenes azules (Ethan Bush, #1)
  • El paciente
  • Quién no
  • La tienda secreta (Ana Fauré #1)
  • ¿Puedo soñar contigo? (El club de los incomprendidos, #3)
  • Journal d'un vampire en pyjama
  • Fire Mountain: How 30,000 Perished and One Man Survived the World's Worst Volcanic Disaster
John Katzenbach is a U.S. author of popular fiction. Son of Nicholas Katzenbach, former United States Attorney General, John worked as a criminal court reporter for the Miami Herald and Miami News, and a featured writer for the Herald’s Tropic magazine. He is married to Madeleine Blais and they live in western Massachusetts.

He left the newspaper grind to write books, racking up 12 novels so far, p