Start by marking “Over Your Dead Body (John Cleaver, #5)” as Want to Read:
Over Your Dead Body (John Cleaver, #5)

Over Your Dead Body

(John Cleaver #5)

John and Brooke are on their own, hitchhiking from town to town as they hunt the last of the Withered through the midwest— but the Withered are hunting them back, and the FBI is close behind. With each new town, each new truck stop, each new highway, they get closer to a vicious killer who defies every principle of profiling and prediction John knows how to use, and meanwh ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Over Your Dead Body, please sign up.
Luis Vargas no, is the secuel from the history, if you read this book, maybe you will be have a spoiler from the before book

Start your review of Over Your Dead Body (John Cleaver, #5)
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-series
"I promised a friend I'd walk through hell to get her back," I said. "Don't make me bring you with me."
I motherfudging love this series

Meet John Wayne Cleaver - my absolute favorite psychopath - he's got all the hallmarks of a serial killer: He loves torturing, he's fascinated with dead bodies and fantasizes about killing his friends and family.

BUT WAIT - Don't turn away.

Ever since he was aware of his tendencies, he's made the conscious effort to resist any and all serial killer behavi
Bradley
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply gorgeous. A tale of friendship between a suicidal demon and the remnants of dead girls and a psychopathic boy set on destroying the rest of the demons.

It's a roadtrip novel, a cry for help, full of despair and love, goodness and evil.

This ought to be enough to describe it, but it isn't. The previous novels were a wonderful prelude to this, now streamlined and pure in its hellish clarity. Just wow. This is something like 2 or 3 times better than the previous novel, or perhaps its starkness
Jessica
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Dan, you magnificent monster! You've done it again!
Rissa
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Because dead ex girlfriends arnt bad enough, their subconscious and memory's have to be put in your most recent ex girlfriend and can submerge at any time so you have to continually ask who you are talking to. As if this book isnt weird (good weird i love this series) enough without that awkwardness.

I loved Brooke/everyone thats inside her and Johns friendship and how their relationship grew throughout their journey.
Emily
I feel bad for giving this such a low review but... I wanted to love this, and I did love a good portion of it, but after The Devil's Only Friend, which had me conflicted, this one seemed to be the one that would decide whether or not I liked where the series is going. Plotwise, it seems I don't.

I love John and Booke and all the characters introduced. I love the supernatural aspect of their world. I love the conversations, and the banter, and the dark humor and the puzzle of figuring out what mo
Shelby
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Now, 3 stars isn't necessarily a bad thing. Did I like this book? Yes! Did I love it? Nope, and that is honestly heartbreaking to me considering how much I love this series and characters. This installment just fell so flat. John and Brooke head out after the disaster of the last book on a cross-country hitch-hike hunting down Withered on their own! Sounds fun right? It should have been, but I was honestly bored for the majority of the book. I really don't feel like this should have been a full ...more
Eric Allen
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my second favorite book in the series behind Mr. Monster, because of the absolutely horrifying moral dilemma that John faces in it. You don't think it's all that bad? Sit down and REALLY think about it for a few minutes. His only friend left in the entire world, someone he'd die to protect, all of a sudden starts manifesting the personality and memories of the only person that he has ever loved in his entire life and failed to protect. Where do you even begin to start working th ...more
Melissa
Ahh, this was so different! I really enjoy this series. You think you know what to expect...you are wrong. This series took a very different turn from where it started. I do indeed recommend this. To say too much would spoil the story. Start from the beginning and read until the last book.
Alexander
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Let me start this review by saying that I read this book in German, because it's not out in English yet. However, I'm not German, I'm Dutch, and I speak German as a third language - which means that it's entirely possible that I've missed some important things while reading. When I've read the English version(when it's come out), I'll make sure to fix that. So, anyway, you might want to take this review with a pinch of salt.

That said, I've had the fortune of attending two writing retreats where
Andi
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book a bit more than the previous one, but I'm still unsure if I like the direction the story is heading with the main characters. The first trilogy had a very creepy, eerie vibe... this seems to have lost that but it came back in the end with the reveal of the killer.

Still, I am hoping for more backstory on the Withered. I don't know if I'll get it, but hopefully in this last book coming up it'll all come full circle.

I'm betting on it and I'm betting on you, John. Don't let me do
Travis
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow the emotional roller coaster that takes place within this book is extreme. John goes on one of his toughest missions yet and is hit with a bunch of different obstacles each one more harrowing then the next. I swear Dan Wells gets better with each book because you can tell he does his research to the finest point. He makes sure he knows what he is talking about and does it in a way that hopefully won't offend people while reading. I also find myself learning while I've been reading this serie ...more
Rachel the Book Harlot
Eeep! We have a cover! Looks great.
Graham Bradley
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dan Wells does for the fifth time what I have not yet managed to do once.
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

I think this is probably the best book since the first one, but it still definitely has some rough spots. I like that it is more focused on John and Brooke [and Brooke's other personalities] because one of my huge problems with the fourth book were that there were just too many characters and I didn't care about any of them so it's nice to get back to basics here.

Unfortunately the plot seemed to meander aimlessly for a lot of the book, but I guess since they are hitching their
Laura Thomas
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, audible
Having so much action in the previous books, some might think this one falls flat. Maybe it takes some time for things to get hairy, but while you’re waiting, you get even deeper into John’s psyche. Still a budding sociopath, John is more focused on killing the Withered than his own needs. Until a clever killer steals John’s thoughts of people he wants to kill and how he wants to kill them, and copies it in real life. It’s like he’s stealing a part of John. And its a clever way to caste suspicio ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I loved reading about John, Brooke and Boy Dog on the road. Once again, Dan Wells gave us a bunch of crazy scenes.
Udy Kumra
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-fiction
I have never felt agony until I read this book. Unlike the last 4, this wasn’t written in thriller style. The first half was just travel, and a lot of conversations, but it was pain. True pain for the characters and what John was going through. The second half was more of a thriller plot, but it was built on a strong foundation of emotional pain. Those two things put together created an experience that was impossible to stop putting myself through no matter how much I wished I could. The ending ...more
James DeSantis
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I struggled to see where I would land. Is it a 3 or a 4? In the end, the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. So I'm settling on a 4.

John is at a crossroads in life. Trying to figure out what's important to him, what he needs, what he wants to do. So many questions surround him, and as crazy as it sounds, he needs to finally make some big decisions. I know some people find this as filler, I found it as soul seeking, and to me that's the most interesting arc for a lot of characters.

Sur
Joel
Creepy Horror Favorites
Paranormal Fantasy Favorites

The fifth installment once again finds John in a very unique situation. Again, I loved the internal conflicts that John has to face and deal with, and I loved John's and Brook's interactions. Not going to lie, I had a lot of anxiety reading this one. Mr. Wells creates some really intense scenes in this one. So yeah, still love this series.
Carly
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jessica White
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alright, book five in the John Cleaver Series, Over Your Dead Body.

This book isn't near as hectic as the rest of the series. Most of the story takes place on the road. John, Brooke, and Boy Dog ditched the FBI and decided to take off on their own, killing Withered everywhere they go. With Brooke's ever-changing personality, John has to stay alert 24/7. He can't have her changing personalities and running off every time she has to relive a thousand year old death. He's constantly protecting her f
Cindy
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not generally a big fan of horror/sci fi, but I do like this series. John Wayne Cleaver has sociopathic tendencies but he recognizes this and fights to overcome his desires and keep his own "rules" in order to keep those around him safe. Quick, interesting reads with lots of unexpected twists and turns.
Amelia Jacobson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book. I don’t think I’ve ever cried while reading a book as much as I did with this one. Every time I put it down was either because I was sobbing or needed to decide on a new suspect.

This book is definitely one of my top favorites. I can’t wait to read the next one.
Justin Caynon
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Wells is basically the writer that I want to be. He knows how to “go there” without it being voyeuristic or raunchy.

John is wonderfully written and characterized. And I actually enjoy Brooke more than I remember ever enjoying her before.
Lynn K.
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
So much character and plot development! So many emotions!!! John confronts a lot of his feelings in this book and I think he's better for it. I love his character and I want him to be happy so I'll just be over here sobbing over a serial killer that says he isn't a serial killer because he only kills demons and bad people.
Christine Woods
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reliably good, but not exceptional. Somewhere between a 3 and a 4. Same flavor as the other ones in the series, but it wasn't set apart from them for me. Enjoyable.
Mike
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the ongoing character development but what I really want is more backstory of the withered.
Andralynn
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is probably more like 3.5 stars, but because it's John Cleaver, I'm feeling generous. I just had a hard time really getting into the story. John and Brooke are just hitchhiking and traveling for basically half the book. Sure, they're attempting to track a Withered, but they have almost no information to go on, so they're just wandering for so long.

That wouldn't have bothered me too much if I had felt like there was a little bit more character development during those times, but John was sti
B220
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dan Wells gives us an interesting fifth installment of his John Cleaver series in Over Your Dead Body. I read some of the online reviews that say this book is disjointed and slightly disappointing, but I disagree. Strongly. If you are a fan of the John Cleaver series, you will feel satisfied and thankful after reading it.

John Wayne Cleaver is back, again hunting Withered, but now basically doing it the way he wants to after the debacle in Fort Bruce (in book 4). With Brooke/Marci/Nobody and Boy
Gina
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This series is amazing. Simply fantastic. Did I mention how good it is? Depending on your perspective, this is either the 5th book of the series or the second book in the second trilogy Wells is writing featuring young sociopath John Cleaver. The first trilogy stands alone, but I highly recommend reading it before starting books 4 and 5 (with 6 still a ways out).

After the events of book 4, John and Brooke are traveling alone trying to find the remaining Withered to kill. With little money and n
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Game (I Hunt Killers, #2)
  • Down Time (I Hunt Killers, #0.1)
  • Mania (The Night Walkers, #3)
  • The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)
  • In the Black
  • Edge
  • Neutral Mask (I Hunt Killers, #0.4)
  • Blood Boy (I Hunt Killers, #0.5)
  • Rocket's Red (Lady Astronaut #4.4)
  • Lo mucho que te amé
  • Paranoia (The Night Walkers, #2)
  • Blood of My Blood (I Hunt Killers, #3)
  • Every Day Above Ground (Van Shaw #3)
  • Lucky Day (I Hunt Killers, #0.2)
  • Defender Hellhound (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #3)
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • Any Minute Now
  • Rite of Passage (Supernatural, #10)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more

John Cleaver (6 books)
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
  • Mr. Monster (John Cleaver, #2)
  • I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)
  • The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)
  • Nothing Left to Lose (John Cleaver, #6)