Start by marking “Book Cover Design Secrets You Can Use to Sell More Books” as Want to Read:
Book Cover Design Secrets You Can Use to Sell More Books

Book Cover Design Secrets You Can Use to Sell More Books

Would you like to double your books sales and cut your marketing budget in half? Through rigorous testing and market research, Derek Murphy has discovered what colors, fonts, images and themes connect with readers from each genre. Improving your book cover even a little can make a huge impact on your book's success. Discover how to make your cover stand out and capture rea ...more
Published September 8th 2014 by Creativindie

Be the first to ask a question about Book Cover Design Secrets You Can Use to Sell More Books

Start your review of Book Cover Design Secrets You Can Use to Sell More Books
K.M. Weiland
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great advice, much of which goes against the grain, but is so sensible it makes you wonder why you didn’t think of it yourself. The major downside is that at least half of the images are inaccessible on the Kindle, and since the whole point of the book is visual design, this is a definite detraction. However, at the end of the day, I learned much and appreciated Derek’s viewpoint. I will be approaching my future covers with a new perspective.
Tracey Madeley
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gives lots of examples of covers and in this sense it is not easy to read on Kindle and is better on computer with a Kindle app or downloaded as a pdf.

As always with this author there are a lot of practical suggestions and things you may not have thought about. What colours should you use? What about contrast, light and shade? What fonts and where can you go to get more unusual fonts? I like the fact that at the end of the book he gives examples of fonts that could be used for each ge
Charissa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, 2019
Great book with tips for book covers that sell. It’s a fast read with lots of book cover examples that he critiques. The book is full of great advice that is useful and practical. Definitely worth a read, even if you don’t want to design your own covers. It’s nice to know the information so you can tell if your designer has done a good job or not.
Anna
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The good: Murphy's book has some thought-provoking points, and it's handy to look at so many covers in quick succession.

The bad: The author is so opinionated he comes across as very unlikable, and I'm left wondering which pieces of his advice are ways of drumming up business and which ones are actually right.

Overall, I'm glad I borrowed it instead of bought it.
Chris Norbury
Contains a lot of solid advice that often goes against the grain of what other experts in the cover design field say. The big takeaway for me (and I noticed from other readers) is that the only thing that matters about the book cover is its effectiveness in selling your book. Period. Beautiful covers, artistic covers, clever covers, cheap covers, outrageously expensive covers; if they don't help you sell your book, they weren't worth the time and money.

I also appreciated some other key points ab
Harrison Lamb
I found Derek Murphy through his YouTube channel, where he gives pretty good advice on everything from writing, to marketing, to book cover design. When I stumbled across this book, I had to give it a shot.

And after finishing it, I'm glad I did. As someone who is very interested in book cover design and has had many hours of practice designing covers for fun as well as for amateur projects on Wattpad, I decided when I first started my current writing project that I would try to DIY my own book c
K.C. Dreisbach
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, I did enjoy his tips and recommendations. And I really liked that he included pictures of different book covers to illustrate his point. Unfortunately, there were a lot of formatting issues on my kindle, which made it incredibly difficult to read whenever I came to a section with an image. There were also several typos and some incorrect word usage (for example, meaning to use "on" but instead used "one") which caused me to stop several times and re-read lines because I had to figure ou ...more
Thibaldo Manrique
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary useful

This is an extremely useful book.

Far from simply presenting ideas or concepts it dives deep into what makes a cover sell books and gives extremely useful and valuable tools to achieve them.

A rich source not only of the concepts, and business advise but also of the tools needed to make a successful book cover.

Furthermore, it speaks to the author and the artist.

It is very useful presenting both points of view and speaking to each specialty.

Truly a treasure.

A great value for the
Jeremy Ray
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable read. I love how to-the-point Derek Murphy is with his information on book covers. His book taught me a ton about what I should be looking for in a book cover. The main takeaway is that it's not about the book cover I want but the book cover that will sell. I will definitely use this book as a resource in finding the right cover designer. I also plan on reading more of Derek Murphy's books on publishing in the future. I recommend this book for any indie authors who are just star ...more
David Castaneda Jr
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great book for someone looking to get into book cover designing

I really enjoyed reading this book for a couple of reasons, it's really informative with lot's of good examples to get the point across and secondly it really gives you a solid base. In other words, it's not filled with wordy fluff, it's packed full of great nuggets that you can really sink your teeth into and gets to the point! I highly recommend this book.
Randy Thurman
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read several book cover design books, this one is the best.

I've read several books on book cover design and most are lacking. This one is exceptionally great at delivering what matters - designing a book cover that sells. Everything else is really secondary. Outstanding job!
Sandy Day
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything you need to know

I heard an old podcast of the author speaking to Joanna Penn and was delighted to discover I'd bought the book a day earlier. I'm reading up on book cover design before I go to a designer. I learned a ton from this book and feel confident I'll choose better covers for my books in the future.
Nina Arce
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and actionable advice! Word of caution though: it seems the only way to get a copy of the e-book is get it directly from the author by subscribing to his newsletter. The Amazon version has been pulled back due to issues with images inside, but the version I received has them.
Abdelkader Khelifi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
It is a book for non-specialized authors in design who want to know more about book cover design or even those who have tried to make their own, but it didn't sell. It gives you an overall idea of the design in a simple and productive manner with many resources you can be beneficial. ...more
Darryl J. Keck
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Packed with information

I am in the process of updating a few of my covers and this book had all the valuable information that I needed. I just wish it had a step-by-step instructions showing a layered cover in Photoshop. It does have lots of links to resources.
Jim Wilbourne
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a helpful beginner's guide for book cover design.
It focuses more on authors hiring designers rather than being a book for designers.
Melanie Hooyenga
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great advice broken into easy-to-swallow chunks. Definitely recommend for anyone who's self-publishing. ...more
Theresa Fuller
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!

I learnt heaps and there were plenty of covers to illustrate the point.
Jenna Berke
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thinking about designing your own covers? Read this!
Fozabog The Elder
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book.

Good advice, well delivered. No nonsense approach to what to look for in cover design. Anyone thinking of doing their own needs to read this. Then don’t.
D.K. Brantley
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what I was getting into, but wound up reading a book with a ton of great practical advice. Great read for DIY authors. ...more
Sabina
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it most for all the examples he gave - how to do this, how to do that, what to avoid, and so on. A good read for anyone trying to design their own covers or even for the people who outsource. Due to this book, I started to notice more clearly some flaws in the designs of others.
Blaine Moore
Nov 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
There are some good things and some bad things about this book. In terms of the actual information, it's very useful, generally well thought out and explained, and can go a long ways towards helping an author settle on a good cover design. I would give this book 3 or 4 stars if it weren't for a few problems.

Namely, the book needs a serious overhaul from a book formatter. The author complains right at the beginning that Amazon wouldn't let him price the book at 99 cents while including the images
Patrick Sherriff
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing
As much as I hate to admit it, you do judge a book by its cover. If you have a sloppy, unprofessional but quirky cover, it reflects badly on you and your sales will suffer. This is a tough lesson for me to learn as I have always liked making my own (sloppy, unprofessional but quirky) covers for my books. But I have to admit it's exactly this mindset that keeps my books in the minority appeal category. The biggest takeaway from Murphy's book for me is this: the modern book cover serves one purpos ...more
Cheryl
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
About a non-fiction book, I always say that if I learned one thing worth remembering, the book was worth my time, and I found a number of things that were useful in this book. But it's short, and a little scattered and of course, self-promoting in areas. But why not? It's definitely worth the little money he's asking for it. Even more if I helps you critique your own covers. But it's no textbook. So 3.5. And thanks for the info. Addendum: I signed up for his email newsletter and he sends out ver ...more
Alisa Kester
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a particular book comes to you at the exact moment you need it. This is one of those books. It's absolutely brilliant - Derek tells it like it is, often going against the commonly believed and published "truth" about cover design. If you're an Indie writer, this book MUST be on your bookshelf. I borrowed it through Kindle Unlimited, and then immediately went and purchased a copy - it's that good! ...more
Winter Bayne
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, on-writing, 2015
Art is subjective and book covers are art. They are also marketing tools and advertisements for their books.

This book has some good content. It also has pieces of advice that others disagree with entirely. However I think it is worth the read or at least visit the author's blog where he discusses some of the contents. It's worth getting if you think you want to design your own cover.
Lara Thompson
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent little book that distills many of the points the author makes on his various websites. Perhaps the thing I learned that surprised me the most but proved most obvious in hindsight: space out the text.
Sean Cameron
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Makes good points about what readers expect from a book cover. I tweaked mine based on his tips, and I'm much happier with it. ...more
Gabriellyn
Jul 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
I am writing this as a warning review, while the information was gold a certain cover used as an example was completely obscene and disgusting. Deleted from my Kindle account, do not read.

• Book Cover Design Formula: Create Book Covers That Captivate Readers: Complete DIY Book Cover Design Guide for Self-published and Indie Authors
  • Plotman to the Rescue: A Troubleshooting Guide to Fixing Your Toughest Plot Problems
  • Voice: The Secret Power of Great Writing
  • The Last Fifty Pages: The Art and Craft of Unforgettable Endings
  • The Mental Game of Writing: How to Overcome Obstacles, Stay Creative and Productive, and Free Your Mind for Success
  • The Author's Guide to Cover Design
  • How to Write Pulp Fiction
  • How to Write Short Stories And Use Them to Further Your Writing Career
  • Becoming a Writer
  • Super Structure: The Key to Unleashing the Power of Story
  • Wake Up and Live!
  • Show, Don't Tell: How to write vivid descriptions, handle backstory, and describe your characters’ emotions (Writers’ Guide Series Book 3)
  • Point of View: How to use the different POV types, avoid head-hopping, and choose the best point of view for your book (Writers’ Guide Series 4)
  • The Cooler King: The True Story of William Ash - Spitfire Pilot, P.O.W and WWII's Greatest Escaper
  • Tricks of the Mind
  • Do the Work
  • Hashtag Authentic: Finding creativity and building a community on Instagram and beyond
  • The Write Therapy: How Keeping a Journal Can Make You Happier, Healthier and More Productive
I wrote my MA thesis on Harry Potter and my PhD thesis on Paradise Lost. Now I write YA fantasy novels and design book covers. I blog about self-publishing, book design and book marketing, and was featured in CNN for renting castles.

www.urbanepics.com
www.theyashelf.com
www.creativindie.com

News & Interviews

“Better to be a cliché than to be a failure. Incidentally, I’ve played this scenario out a dozen times with clients. They want something simple, suggestive, symbolic. I tell them to choose something obvious. A powerful, beautiful picture that hits all the right genre buttons. They insist, we finish the cover, six months later they decide they are frustrated with their low sales and they give me permission to redo the cover and make the design that will sell the best. Are my book covers clichés? Probably. They also sell a lot of copies.” 1 likes
“But the first book has very little in common with the other two; and the other two are from the same author so OF COURSE they should be identical. That’s not cliché at all, it’s branding!” 1 likes