Start by marking “Dirty Pretty Things” as Want to Read:
Dirty Pretty Things

Dirty Pretty Things

Dirty Pretty Things is the much anticipated book by Michael Faudet. His whimsical and often erotic writing has already captured the hearts and minds of literally thousands of readers from around the world. He paints vivid pictures with intricate words and explores the compelling themes of love, loss, relationships and sex. All beautifully captured in poetry, prose, quotes ...more
Published November 18th 2014 by Michael Faudet

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Pretty Things, please sign up.
Stephen Dodds It is if you get it from your local public library.
Maria you can download or read the book online at bookland7.

Start your review of Dirty Pretty Things
Lil I
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is so poorly written. I understand these are supposed to be erotic poems but the words "panties", "fuck", and "skirt" can only get you so far. Some poems are just plain ridiculous and sound like they were written by a teenage boy. I maybe found 1 or 2 poems in the whole book that were worth taking a second look at.

"Naked guilt,
a punishment dealt;
over a wooden table
where a jam donut
is noticeably absent."

Um.. what???
Kristie Bringhurst
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay, I really wanted to love this book. The idea intrigued me and in flipping through, there were some interesting poems I read in passing. When you sit down to read this book, however, what was so exciting at the beginning quickly becomes boring and full of cliches. I swear if I had to read the phrase "dusty pink nipples" one more time I would have lit the book on fire.

I also couldn't handle the way women in the book are portrayed. Talk about the manic pixie dream girl. She's all about sex al
Cat Aquino
Jun 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
this is what michael faudet calls "poetry":

Lust

Lust is a lovely word and makes love
so much more interesting.

a thousand dead trees are crying out for justice.
Taylor
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
This guy really has a thing for white cotton panties and kneesocks. Poetry for the tumblr crowd. In a word, sophomoric.
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
It's a no from me.
Olga therebelreader
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
An amazing erotic read! Mr. Faudet writes beautifully. I look forward to more!

TWISTED TREES

upon your lips -
and I have fallen
against my will.

THE KISS
Crashing waves on an empty beach,
the rhythm of our hearts,
two drowning lovers lost at sea,
my lips adrift in yours.
Amun (Mohamed Elbadwihi)
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I don't want to be mean, but this was really bad. I don't know why it's so highly rated. It's not good poetry. It's full of cliches and
summer suns
and
words;
like this.

There may be one
or two
good poems
but the rest are wonderfully dull;
like this.

The kind of poetry books I write are the ones
you read in agony, stretched out over the sheets
with one hand on your forehead;
in face-palm.

- Michael Faudet (Note: Not really M.F.)

Okay, jokes aside—I know there's an audience for this book, made clear by the
Robin
Jan 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Trying way too hard.

Pass.
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think because of milk & honey i'm preconditioned to assume that all poetry will be free verse and simplistic (a style I don't like), so I ended up being pleased with this!

It's actually a collection of short quotes, poems, & super short stories. the theme revolves around love and relationships and--inevitably, because the title has the word "dirty" in it--some pretty raunchy sex. I #cantrelate to any of that good stuff, but I did think that a lot of these passages were clever and thought-provo
Jasmine
Enter enough
your words
will look
like poetry.

This is where literature came to die, this wasn't fun to read, I think there are only two poems that I liked, and the prose is just
A W F U L ...

Don't waste your time, and I quote "Please don't, seriously, I beg..."
[Shai] Bibliophage
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was really curious about what's the hype about this poetry book. It's price around USD 12-13 when I saw it in our local bookstore so I thought that maybe it is really worth the price. But to my great dismay, the hype and the price doesn't equate to the quality of the poems in this collection. The author wants to convey the passion of love and lovemaking, but really the poems are just mediocre.

I also purchased Faudet's 2nd book of Bitter Sweet Love. And despite the average rating of the said bo
Caitie
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was so excited about this book based on the reviews and description and I was incredibly disappointed by the reality.

So sophomoric.

Bad poetry is an abomination and the rhymes in this are uninventive to say the least. No wonder no bookstores stock it on their shelves.

And the one-liners? The prose? Don't waste your time.
Beatrice Masaluñga
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Awfully written. Most of the poems generic rundown sentences. I don't mind reading erotic poems but the eroticism in this collection was forced and unromantic. I can't help cringing to some of it. Sadly, I didn't enjoy this collection and I don't recommend it.
Hanaa
Feb 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh, God no.
Cress ☾
May 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: over-hyped, poetry
I have seen Dirty Pretty Things floating around Tumblr for quite some time, and Faudet's work intrigued me. Lang Leav wrote the introduction for this, and ironically (because I'm not a huge fan of Leav's work either,) it was the only thing I liked.

I don't really know how I feel about these... Contemporary hipster(?) poets. I definitely have a love/hate relationship going on with them, that's for sure.

On one hand, some of them write pieces of poetry that haunt/resonate with me. That put to word
Krista Regester
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
The Conversation

Let’s continue this conversation in bed, she whispered.
My legs can’t wait to hear what your hands have to say.
Addie
Nope. Can't finish this. DNF at 17%. I'm all for literary smut, but I want my poetry to be teasing and my erotica to be sultry, not in-your-face crass. I don't want to feel like a voyeur or 3rd wheel into Leav and Faudet's relationship (or whatever is going on there). Reading this was like sitting on a couch while your friends have sex next to you and occasionally you get a foot to the head. I just don't need the mental images.
Suraya (thesuraya)
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
maybe because ive read much more obscene things than this, so i dont feel this book to be erotic at all. It's mediocre, at best.

and faudet's poems mirror lang leav's a lot, to one point I thought this is written by leav herself.
Ju$tin
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
some good writing but not enough. more avg content and more bad. very quick read. took me maybe 30 minutes. left side pages were blank unless the piece was longer than a page. lot of 1-2 liners which were the only words on the page. poor trees. content is something like 96.7% love and sex, which is fine, just making that clear. don't expect much else.
Ruchika
I haven't read a lot of erotica so perhaps avid readers of the genre might find this review too generous. But this man has the ability to make me blush and yet, proudly read his work in public – in a society that shuns such public explorations.

If I write more, I'm afraid I'll simply gush. :)
India
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm not a huge fan of poetry that rhymes. Very love, sex, and emotion-driven. I'd say my one complaint is that some of it came across as repetitive and young. I also think there are lots of ways to describe panties without using "white" and "cotton" over and over again. The prose was better.
vicky
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favourites
favourites: Lost Words, Lips, Airplanes, Twisted Trees, Roses, Echo, Teach Me, The Mermaid, Forbidden Love, Strawberries, Stars 🍓
Karima chermiti
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, poetry
I loved Smoke & Mirrors by Michael Faudet I gave it a 4 starts rating and I decided based on that collection of poetry, prose and short stories to give his other works a try so I picked dirty pretty things. I wish I never bothered to do so because this book was a combination of disappointment and regret.

This book, like Smoke & Mirrors, explored love but mostly the erotic side of it failing miserably to draw me in or hold my attention or awaken my affection. It was bland, repetitive and quite fra
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I'm half way through the book, and as good as it is, I don't think Michael Faudet is real. No two people can write like each other exactly. Writing is like fingerprint, no two talents are alike.

I seriously never gave much thought to Lang Leav's personal life; through Twitter I learned that she is in a relationship with another author. When I bought "his" books I thought their style was so similar, but now that I'm almost done with the book, there just can't be a Michael. Lang's book are romantic
Joshie
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, 1-star
Reading poems should be a worthwhile and self-learning experience but Faudet's poetry collection was neither. It was too direct; pages and pages of trying to be sexy, erotic, and seductive only to come out as nothing; a try-hard. This poetry collection does not make the reader think, ponder on anything, and it fools them into thinking they should get wrapped up with the empty imagery and eye-rolling, repetitive obsession under the influence of must-have-been-repressed-too-long teenage hormones. ...more
Jessica
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, favorites, poetry
This is a beautiful book of poetry. I discovered this author on Tumblr and I fell in love with his poems.
Natalia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is one of the cringiest books I've ever read. I really don't know what's up with "poetry" nowadays... ugh.
Shukri
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2/5

How is this poetry...
Kate
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, poetry
Definitely one of my least favourite poetry books, but still had some great poems.
rayne ♥
DNF @ PG 53

Technically this is a dnf but I'm just going to rate it anyway because it was not good whatsoever. I bought this at a thrift store and I only read the first poem called "the rose." I thought it was good and decided to buy it, turns out that's someone else's work and this is just not my cup of tea whatsoever. This just reads like poems on Tumblr, and not even good ones at that. It was so cliche and I had no clue this book was going to be erotic. Anyways, I do not reccomend.

• Memories
  • Lullabies
  • Love & Misadventure
  • The Universe of Us
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Sea of Strangers
  • Poemsia
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • I Wrote This For You (I Wrote This For You #4)
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • Whiskey Words & a Shovel II
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • All the Words Are Yours: Haiku on Love
Michael Faudet is the author of the international bestsellers Dirty Pretty Things, Bitter Sweet Love, Smoke & Mirrors, and Winter of Summers. His books have been nominated in the Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Poetry.

Dirty Pretty Things was also selected by Sylvia Whitman, the owner of the iconic Shakespeare and Company bookstore in Paris, as one of her personal favorite books of 2016.

He frequen