Start by marking “Dirty Pretty Things” as Want to Read:
Dirty Pretty Things

Dirty Pretty Things

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  7,396 Ratings  ·  705 Reviews
Dirty Pretty Things is the much anticipated book by Michael Faudet. His whimsical and often erotic writing has already captured the hearts and minds of literally thousands of readers from around the world. He paints vivid pictures with intricate words and explores the compelling themes of love, loss, relationships and sex. All beautifully captured in poetry, prose, quotes ...more
Published November 18th 2014 by Michael Faudet

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Pretty Things, please sign up.
Stephen Dodds It is if you get it from your local public library.
Yvonne ColemanBurney This is an awesome read, I am a fan of Michael I have been a follower of his on Instagram so I have been familiar with his work. Just ordered his…moreThis is an awesome read, I am a fan of Michael I have been a follower of his on Instagram so I have been familiar with his work. Just ordered his other book to read as well. Love the subtle sensuality of it and the short stories. Overall a great read.(less)

Lil
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is so poorly written. I understand these are supposed to be erotic poems but the words "panties", "fuck", and "skirt" can only get you so far. Some poems are just plain ridiculous and sound like they were written by a teenage boy. I maybe found 1 or 2 poems in the whole book that were worth taking a second look at.

"Naked guilt,
a punishment dealt;
over a wooden table
where a jam donut
is noticeably absent."

Um.. what???
Kristie Bringhurst
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay, I really wanted to love this book. The idea intrigued me and in flipping through, there were some interesting poems I read in passing. When you sit down to read this book, however, what was so exciting at the beginning quickly becomes boring and full of cliches. I swear if I had to read the phrase "dusty pink nipples" one more time I would have lit the book on fire.

I also couldn't handle the way women in the book are portrayed. Talk about the manic pixie dream girl. She's all about sex al
Olga therebelreader
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
An amazing erotic read! Mr. Faudet writes beautifully. I look forward to more!

TWISTED TREES

upon your lips -
and I have fallen
against my will.

THE KISS
Crashing waves on an empty beach,
the rhythm of our hearts,
two drowning lovers lost at sea,
my lips adrift in yours.
Taylor
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
This guy really has a thing for white cotton panties and kneesocks. Poetry for the tumblr crowd. In a word, sophomoric.
Cat Aquino
Jun 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
this is what michael faudet calls "poetry":

Lust

Lust is a lovely word and makes love
so much more interesting.

a thousand dead trees are crying out for justice.
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
It's a no from me.
Joseph
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Dirty Pretty Things by Michael Faudet is a best-selling collection of poetry. To be honest, the title pulled me in. I am not much for romantic poetry and I don't read erotica, but something in this book seemed to hold promise. The range of poetry is wide, to say the least, from cutesy to something the other side of candied vulgarity. From serious to sophomoric. Somewhere in that mix, I found what I liked. At times there was the thrill of being outside my comfort zone yet still other times it was ...more
Robin
Jan 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Trying way too hard.

Pass.
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think because of milk & honey i'm preconditioned to assume that all poetry will be free verse and simplistic (a style I don't like), so I ended up being pleased with this!

It's actually a collection of short quotes, poems, & super short stories. the theme revolves around love and relationships and--inevitably, because the title has the word "dirty" in it--some pretty raunchy sex. I #cantrelate to any of that good stuff, but I did think that a lot of these passages were clever and thoug
Amun (Mohamed Elbadwihi)
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I don't want to be mean, but this was really bad. I don't know why it's so highly rated. It's not good poetry. It's full of cliches and
summer suns
and
words;
like this.

There may be one
or two
good poems
but the rest are wonderfully dull;
like this.

The kind of poetry books I write are the ones
you read in agony, stretched out over the sheets
with one hand on your forehead;
in face-palm.

- Michael Faudet (Note: Not really M.F.)

Okay, jokes aside—I know there's an audience for this book, made clear by the
Jojo (The Reading Bee)
DNF at page 173/290
Only if you press
Enter enough
your words
will look
like poetry.

This is where literature came to die, this wasn't fun to read, I think there are only two poems that I liked, and the prose is just
A W F U L ...

Don't waste your time, and I quote "Please don't, seriously, I beg..."
Beatrice Masaluñga
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Awfully written. Most of the poems generic rundown sentences. I don't mind reading erotic poems but the eroticism in this collection was forced and unromantic. I can't help cringing to some of it. Sadly, I didn't enjoy this collection and I don't recommend it.
[Shai] The Bibliophage
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was really curious about what's the hype about this poetry book. It's price around USD 12-13 when I saw it in our local bookstore so I thought that maybe it is really worth the price. But to my great dismay, the hype and the price doesn't equate to the quality of the poems in this collection. The author wants to convey the passion of love and lovemaking, but really the poems are just mediocre.

I also purchased Faudet's 2nd book of Bitter Sweet Love. And despite the average rating of the said bo
Caitie
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was so excited about this book based on the reviews and description and I was incredibly disappointed by the reality.

So sophomoric.

Bad poetry is an abomination and the rhymes in this are uninventive to say the least. No wonder no bookstores stock it on their shelves.

And the one-liners? The prose? Don't waste your time.
Suraya (thesuraya)
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
maybe because ive read much more obscene things than this, so i dont feel this book to be erotic at all. It's mediocre, at best.

and faudet's poems mirror lang leav's a lot, to one point I thought this is written by leav herself.
Cress ☾
May 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, over-hyped
I have seen Dirty Pretty Things floating around Tumblr for quite some time, and Faudet's work intrigued me. Lang Leav wrote the introduction for this, and ironically (because I'm not a huge fan of Leav's work either,) it was the only thing I liked.

I don't really know how I feel about these... Contemporary hipster(?) poets. I definitely have a love/hate relationship going on with them, that's for sure.

On one hand, some of them write pieces of poetry that haunt/resonate with me. That put to word
Ju$tin
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
some good writing but not enough. more avg content and more bad. very quick read. took me maybe 30 minutes. left side pages were blank unless the piece was longer than a page. lot of 1-2 liners which were the only words on the page. poor trees. content is something like 96.7% love and sex, which is fine, just making that clear. don't expect much else.
India
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of poetry that rhymes, but I really enjoyed what Michael Faudet included in this first poetry collection. Very heartfelt. Very love, sex, and emotion-driven. I'd say my one complaint is that some of it came across as repetitive. I also think there are lots of ways to describe panties without using "white" and "cotton" over and over again. The prose was absolutely beautiful.
Ruchika
I haven't read a lot of erotica so perhaps avid readers of the genre might find this review too generous. But this man has the ability to make me blush and yet, proudly read his work in public – in a society that shuns such public explorations.

If I write more, I'm afraid I'll simply gush. :)
Jessica
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance, poetry
This is a beautiful book of poetry. I discovered this author on Tumblr and I fell in love with his poems.
Karima chermiti
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, poetry
I loved Smoke & Mirrors by Michael Faudet I gave it a 4 starts rating and I decided based on that collection of poetry, prose and short stories to give his other works a try so I picked dirty pretty things. I wish I never bothered to do so because this book was a combination of disappointment and regret.

This book, like Smoke & Mirrors, explored love but mostly the erotic side of it failing miserably to draw me in or hold my attention or awaken my affection. It was bland, repetitive and q
vicky
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favourites
favourites: Lost Words, Lips, Airplanes, Twisted Trees, Roses, Echo, Teach Me, The Mermaid, Forbidden Love, Strawberries, Stars 🍓
Hanaa
Feb 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh, God no.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I'm half way through the book, and as good as it is, I don't think Michael Faudet is real. No two people can write like each other exactly. Writing is like fingerprint, no two talents are alike.

I seriously never gave much thought to Lang Leav's personal life; through Twitter I learned that she is in a relationship with another author. When I bought "his" books I thought their style was so similar, but now that I'm almost done with the book, there just can't be a Michael. Lang's book are romantic
Edwina
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
The writings are just so brutally honest.... About love, passion, lust, sex and pleasure, ..... Lang leav and michael faudet are both amazing writers can't wait for their babies lol

Favourites:
Your smile
Your smile is a beautifully written line
I hope to write it someday

True love
When you're in love, truly in love, you never have to question it

(Honestly, i suspect michael faudet is just lang leav pen name....so that she can freely express her erotic writing skills)
Drew Farinas
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-and-read
Shallow but still, I liked it. Overrated, but still liked it. Too many repetitive words, but still liked it.
Addie
Nope. Can't finish this. DNF at 17%. I'm all for literary smut, but I want my poetry to be teasing and my erotica to be sultry, not in-your-face crass. I don't want to feel like a voyeur or 3rd wheel into Leav and Faudet's relationship (or whatever is going on there). Reading this was like sitting on a couch while your friends have sex next to you and occasionally you get a foot to the head. I just don't need the mental images.
Kate ♡
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, poetry
Definitely one of my least favourite poetry books, but still had some great poems.
Jessica
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, reviewed
So, this was my first real venture into reading poetry. Obviously there was the compulsory poetry we had to read during English classes at school, but as a reader with a genuine interest this was my first stab at it!

I’m not going to pretend I know much at all about poetry, or that my opinion holds any real weight. My 4 star rating is purely based on my personal level of enjoyment whilst reading this collection.

Dirty Pretty Things couldn’t have been a more apt title for this little book of naught
Neko
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Awalnya tertarik karena Mbak Siska aka @editor_in_chic nge-retweet statusnya Michael Faudet. Buat gue pribadi, puisinya seksi. Terus, gue follow deh. Eh, nggak berapa lama dia promoin buku puisinya. Dan... kepo.

Akhirnya beli di Google PlayBook karena harga bukunya di Bookdepo aja 270 ribuan.

Resensi menyusul, segera!
Around the Year i...: Dirty Pretty Things, by Michael Faudet 1 5 Jun 18, 2018 12:33AM
  • Bipolar Cowboy
  • The Dogs I Have Kissed
  • Dark Sparkler
  • How to Be Drawn
  • Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs
Dirty Pretty Things is the international bestseller by Michael Faudet. A finalist in the 2015 Goodreads Readers Choice Awards, his whimsical and often erotic writing has already captured the hearts and minds of literally thousands of readers from around the world.

He paints vivid pictures with intricate words and explores the compelling themes of love, loss, relationships, and sex. All beautifully
“Love and loss share the same unmade bed.” 70 likes
“I suddenly realised it's no coincidence the two middle letters of life are if.” 57 likes