Start by marking “Against a Dark Sky (DCI Dani Bevan #1)” as Want to Read:
Against a Dark Sky (DCI Dani Bevan #1)

Against a Dark Sky

(DCI Dani Bevan #1)

They died thirty years ago, but the case is not closed...

Five walkers set out to climb Ben Lomond on a fine October day. Within hours, the weather has taken a turn for the worst. The group find themselves lost on the mountain. Two of the climbers manage to make it back down and call for help.
The following day a body is found. One of the female climbers has been strangle
Published November 8th 2014 by The Garansay Press

To ask other readers questions about Against a Dark Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against a Dark Sky

Start your review of Against a Dark Sky (DCI Dani Bevan #1)
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A group of walkers set out to climb Ben Lomond. Two of the climbers manage to make it down the mountain when the weather takes a turn for the worse. Rescuers find one of the walkers' dead body but another is missing. DCI Dani Bevan and her team set out to try to locate the missing walker and work out who was responsible for the murder.

I loved this story. It was a cleverly written, slowly revealing storyline. The characters were likeable and believable and I am looking forward to the next instalm
Iain Cameron
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2 walkers go missing while climbing Ben Lomond in Scotland. It seems improbable they can be connected to another incident on the mountain many years before when several schoolchildren died, but the author skilfully weaves this into the story. I particularly liked the character of DCI Dani Bevan, a tough cop but vulnerable underneath and capable of making mistakes. I would have preferred a more dramatic ending but a welcome addition to the roll call of fictional detectives.
Peggy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good read. Meaty, kept my mind working the whole through thinking I had it figured out. DCI Bevan and her team are good solid characters and I look forward to more.
Jilrene
3.5 stars. Better than average plot, rounded up for the excellent narration. I knew which character was speaking by the voice. Amazing skills.

The story had a few twists. Some interesting side plots. A lot of descriptions- the landscape, what people looked like. Occasionally felt like too much. Overall, I was invested in the story. Some of the resolution was far fetched. Not enough to put me off the author. I'll try book 2. See how it goes.
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
The books in this series have very good reviews so while I wasn't blown away by this solid police procedural, I suspect it will improve with later books so onwards we go. ...more
Chrissy Attwood
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, factual geographically and introducing some interesting characters.

I hope that the series develops the private lives as well as the working lives of the main characters. The book was well written graphic but not using an extreme amount of bad language, just enough to instil reality into the text. A great read look forward to the next one.
Leelaswann
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good start to an entertaining series

Interesting characters who I look forward to reading about again. Mystery was believable and not obvious. Great first book for a promising series.
Daphne Burgess
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy
This series is not as cosy as some other cosy mystery series. Has some dark shades but still very easy to read. Dani is very likeable, clever yet still makes errors in judgement that gets her into trouble at work and in relationships.
David Gilchrist
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, a touch slow for me at times. the plot was good, unexpected twists and turn. will follow this author and her next book.
Amber
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series!

Its my 2nd time reading it. I thoroughly enjoy the characters as they become more fleshed out as the series continues.
Cerisaye
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, scotland
Not a bad crime thriller on the whole, a decent start to a series featuring young Scottish DCI Dani Bevan and her team. Characters are well fleshed out and interesting, and the crime plot is complicated and absorbing.

I liked the unusual Scottish setting in a small community on the shores of Loch Lomond, not too far from where I live. Ben Lomond features prominently in a case of dead climbers that turns out to have links to a 30 year-old tragedy on the mountain, when three school children died o
Patiscynical
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unbelievably convoluted..

A simple murder, that's all I was looking for, just a nice, simple whodunit. Instead, this story pulls in every theory possible, with suspects and bodies coming out of the woodwork. It was just too much.
There were way too many characters to keep track of, but Dani Bevins was the main character. She was the Detective Chief Inspector in charge of the case. Cases.
Results: this was far too twisted and convoluted for me. Too many theories, suspects, and victims. More isn't a
Peggy Owens
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well done.

Well written. The end was surprising, but left you wanting to see more of DCI Dani Bevan. There were many twists and turns in the plot and the end was surprising. I really liked the fact that vulgar language was the exception rather than the rule. I definitely want to read more by this author. She has a good writing style, her characters are believable, personable and realistic.
Harry McClellan
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Against a Dark Sky

This was a great mystery it was very well thought out mystery, I found the language and sexual scenes very easy on the eyes. I fell in love and hate with some of the chacters. The storyline was really fantastic the only sore spot was calling Dani in one sentence and Bevan in the next, it was confusing for me. Thanks for a great read.
Susan
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Very enjoyable characters and storyline. DCI Bevan is a genuine nice person who has the respect of her team and is kind to those she comes in contact with during investigations. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Sherron L Pace
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Walkers dieting thirty years apart related

Strange twists finds a link between and set of murders to some thirty year old tragedy where three children died.
Katherine Pathak does a great job in this tangled mystery.
Barbara Capehart
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so pleasantly surprised!

You know how it is when you start with a new detective, I mean author lol. Will this be my cuppa? Will I relate to these folks? I will be reading more of Katherine Pathak's DCI Dani Beven.
Corinne
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-2018
All right, the book was OK, but the author needs to quit using the word alright, and spell it correctly. I understand there are differences in American and Scottish spellings, but I don't think this is one. ...more
Mary Foster
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining but not riviting

Nice novel to pass some comfortable hours without much suspense, but with some easy-to-like characters. Enjoyed learning some Scottish words and picturing that countryside.
Joan
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Never boring!

This was an awesome book. I read a lot of mysteries and usually figure out who the murderer is before the end.
I totally had no idea with this book. It is very well written
And well researched. I would recommend it for anyone who
Loves a good mystery!
Anne Hill
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Delightful

Dani Bevin is a wonderful well drawn out character, smart, and clever. The mystery was not obvious and kept you guessing. I would definitely recommend this book and hope the same quality continues to the next book.
Melissa
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read! Strong lead character. Solid plot with just enough suspense and intrigue to keep reader hooked!

Definitely worth a read! I really appreciated strong female lead and plot twists! Enjoyed mystery involving more intellect hard "graft over shocking violence!
Susanne Mulholland
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable

A great start to a series with strong characters and an interesting plot. Good to read a story where there is not an overwhelming focus on the police system, but more on traditional deduction skills.
Susan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first book I have read by Katherine Pathak. DCI Dani Bevan and the cast of characters surrounding her solve two mysteries, one in the past and one from the present. Set in Scotland's Highlands, this book offers a glimpse into the 'walker' world of Highland tourism. ...more
Leona Grace
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and entertaining. The setting was lovely and the characters realistic and beliveable.
An author to follow ;)
Jayne Quince
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.

British crime fiction at its best. Real characters...I love that the detective is a woman too....I will definitely be reading more by Katherine Pathak
Natasha
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yet another great new series from Scotland! I did find the narrator's voice a little grating on the audio book. ...more
Alan
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read which I thoroughly enjoyed. Brilliant thought out story line. Recommended.
Ian Macfarlane
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Against a dark sky

A good read. Flows along at a decent pace with enough twists to keep you guessing. Well worth the read.
Victoria Naegele
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!

The story unfolded using the intuitive thought process of the detectives along with forensic detail. It kept me engaged and guessing the “who” and “why”.

• Deluded (DI Sara Ramsey, #4)
  • Death In Transit: Murder most foul... (Inspector Torquil McKinnon Book 5)
  • The Man in the House (DI Helena Stratton #1)
  • Perdition (DI Munro & DS West #7)
  • Deathly Wind (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #2)
  • Revenge on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery, #2)
  • Fear on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #3)
  • Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • Prayer for the Dying
  • Penitent (DI Munro & DS West #9)
  • Only the Lonely (Ted Darling #6)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1)
  • Death on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery #6)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • When I'm Old and Grey (Ted Darling Crime Series, #4)
  • Day Is Done (DS Marnie Hammond #3)
Katherine Pathak lives in rural north Essex with her husband and two young children. She has worked as a History teacher for over ten years and before that she worked in the book trade in London. Aoife's Chariot is her first novel. Katherine has lived in the south-east of England for most of her life, but her father's family come from the Isle of Arran in Scotland and this has been the inspiration ...more

DCI Dani Bevan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • On a Dark Sea (DCI Dani Bevan #2)
  • A Dark Shadow Falls (DCI Dani Bevan #3)
  • Dark As Night (DCI Dani Bevan #4)
  • The Dark Fear (DCI Dani Bevan #5)
  • Girls Of The Dark (DCI Dani Bevan #6)
  • Hold Hands In The Dark (DCI Dani Bevan #7)
  • Dark Remedies (DCI Dani Bevan, #8)
  • Dark Origin (DCI Dani Bevan, #9)
  • The Dark Isle (The DCI Dani Bevan, #10)
  • Dark Enough to See (DCI Dani Bevans, #11)

News & Interviews