Start by marking “Beacon (Ripped Ties, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beacon (Ripped Ties, #1)

Beacon

(Ripped Ties #1)

***When ignorance is bliss, Bliss is power.***

Tsunamis reduced the USA into a shell of itself, called The Fold. Surviving humans and vampires joined forces to form The Colony, where registered citizens do as they're told.

They donate blood quarterly and dream of being chosen as Attendees for the Jubilee celebrations, that is, everyone except Macie Breen. With high school g
Published November 20th 2014 by Evernight Teen

To ask other readers questions about Beacon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beacon

Lenore Kosinski
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok

2.5 stars -- I probably should have DNF'd this one. I could tell fairly early on that it probably wasn't my kind of book, but I'd won it in a contest so I kind of felt like I should give it a better chance. (Also, it's Black History Month, and this was the one book in my TBR that appeared to have a POC in it, so I was striving for diversity) But it just never got better for me.

The writing starts out very descriptive...I'm not a literary kind of girl, but i
Christine Rains
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With the USA just a shadow of its former self, humans and vampires must join together to survive. In The Colony, registered citizens do as they're told and supply their vampire protectors with donations of blood. Macie Breen is a ward of the state and hopes to start a new life after high school with her best friend Thane as an unregistered. Her future is snatched away from her when she's chosen as an Attendee in the Jubilee Celebration and taken to the big city of Bliss. There she discovers lie ...more
Cheyenne
***Actual Rating 2.5 Stars***

I want to say thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review. Yes I know this will be another short review. I'm whooped and I will explain more of that. If your reading this on Goodreads please check out my blog for updates about this and such. Besides this lets get our review on. First off can I say I that I had high hopes for this book. Like I wanted this book to be good. I was so excited to read this book. I was so happ
Angela Brown
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
***When ignorance is bliss, Bliss is power.***

That's something to really make you stop and think.

Beacon isn't just a story, it's a sort of exploration. Readers are pulled into the MC's mind from the beginning, getting her POV on life, living and the seemingly perfect state of affairs. But perfection is such a difficult thing to maintain unless...well, it's worth checking out to discover more about a piece of America-after that recovered, but at a price.
Alice Taylor
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author, Angela Brown, and from Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock. The story starts out with Macie stating that she does not believe her mother and father are dead. Macie’s parents have been missing, or dead according to the Colony, for eight years now. This gives the reader a kind of quick snapshot into the society that Macie is living in here. This story starts off with Macie over sleeping and having to hurry to get to school and the Jubilee Assembly so she ...more
E.
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult

"Beacon" by Angela Brown is Book 1 of the 'Ripped Ties' young adult dystopian series that features Macie Breen, an unusual young girl whose parents disappeared during a Jubilee celebration eight years prior. Her only friend, Thane, has made her promise not to give her blood, despite the requirements for donations to the vampeers who keep them all safe. There is a marked division between those who donate, known as the registered, and those who don't, the unregistered, but it turns out th
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:

A dystopian world with vampires and treachery…what wouldn’t I love about this book?!

I loved that the start jumped straight into the story, with us finding out that the parents of our main character were called away, in the same way she just has been, but they never came back. She isn’t willing to go, and soon she’ll find out more about both herself and the broken promises of the vampires, but is she ready?

The dystopian wasteland the author created was excellent. She really brought to
Boundless Book Reviews
I really wanted to love this story. It's not a surprise I'm a huge young adult fan. The story had imagination and creativity. I just think there was so much going on. You have Devil Spawn, Wights (Undead), you have Vampeers (Vampires), Humans, Angels, and Fae. All in just one book. I like when a writer makes their own spin on different mythical creatures, but I just didn't get into it.

The story follows Macie. Her parents had gone missing or dead after they became a Jubilee Attendee. Their in a
Shelly Wygant
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Get prepared to take a trip to the Colony and celebrate The Jubilee. However things go very wrong from the beginning and the celebration takes a turn for the worst.

In the beginning we meet Macie who parents were chosen for the Jubilee years prior and never returned. This year Macie is chosen and she does not want to go.

This story is non stop action. Macie is wanted for her blood. Along the way she learns who she really is. Vampires, Demons, Angels, and Fae will greet you throughout the story.
Kristen Cansler
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
Wow! What a delightful and imaginative book! I had no idea how Brown would write vampires whenever I began this book. Sometimes I really love how vampires are portrayed, other times not so much. But I loved the way that Brown wrote hers! There is so much mystery shrouding this story, and I was unable to look away for even a moment!

Beacon is filled with action. There's never a boring moment in this book! So many elements are streamlined into this story and work so well with the world that the au
Graeme Ing
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, paranormal
What an imagination Angela Brown has! As the book progresses we are treated to continual mystery and surprise and the constant unveiling of an amazing dystopian future. Not content with vampires, this world has all manner of creatures, some working for humanity, some against but I never quite trusted anyone.

What a ride! The poor heroine faces an endless stream of adventures during which she discovers the reality of the fake world in which she grew up, and learns who (or what?) she really is. I'm
Medeia Sharif
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this dystopian novel, humans and vampires are living together in what was formerly the USA. Macie is struggling against the rigid rules, so she can live life on her own with her friend Thane. When she’s chosen to be in the Jubilee, she’s crestfallen and discovers things about people, creatures, surroundings, and herself that she never knew before. There’s also the mystery of her missing parents on her mind.

I liked the world building—the slang, the glimmer and the glamour, the monsters and th
Lissa Rice
**3 Stars** Review up on Boundless Book Reviews.
Emma Woods
Jan 12, 2016
Troysmom09
is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Born and raised in Little Rock, AR, Angela now calls Central Texas home.

Reading and writing have been lifelong passions. It was around the time she gave birth to her forever-love, nicknamed Chipmunk, that she really took writing seriously. After all, how could she teach her child to follow her dreams if she hadn't tried herself?

As a YA fantasy/sci-fi reader and author, she favors the magical, myst