Start by marking “Avery (The Chronicles of Kaya #1)” as Want to Read:
Avery (The Chronicles of Kaya #1)

Avery

(The Chronicles of Kaya #1)

The people of Kaya die in pairs. When one lover dies, the other does too. So it has been for thousands of years – until Ava.

For although her bondmate, Avery, has been murdered and Ava’s soul has been torn in two, she is the only one who has ever been strong enough to cling to life. Vowing revenge upon the barbarian queen of Pirenti, Ava's plan is interrupted when she is in
Published February 2nd 2015 by Random House Australia (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Avery, please sign up.
Brittany
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Monika
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Wow alright... I'm really upset. This book has so much potential.. and then the author wrote a very disturbing message, see below. After that, I pretty much DNF'ed this and just skimmed the ending to make sure I was understanding this correctly.

This book centers very much on difficult topics such as abuse, mental disorders, and gender equality. So much, in fact, that it overtook the plot. But that wasn't where my problem came from. I can handle those topics fine if they are written with care. L
Rachel E. Carter
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
description

In that moment, he was young and wild and alive. He was laughing and howling, immersed equally in pleasure and pain.
And watching him, I smiled. I smiled. A girl who had been stripped of the ability. An impossible smile. A real smile, the first in years.

This book was beautiful. Romantic. Real. Heart-wrenching and happy and tear-your-heart-out-madness and then just lovely.

"You want to hate me. You desperately wish you could, but you don't."

This is the story of a girl who lost her soulmate ("bon
Camly Nguyen
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So sad yet so beautiful. My fav of 2015 so far.

"We have no say in this life, on how hard things will be. What we can control is how hard we fight. How long we endure. How strongly we love."

Some say it's a curse, others say that it's a gift.The people of Kaya die in pairs. When one lover dies, the other does too and it has been so since the beginning of time.

But it didn't work for Ava. When her bondmate, Avery, has been murdered by the barbarian queen,and Ava’s soul has been torn in two, she is
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
4.5 Officially

You joined souls once in this life, and once only.
Leave, I told her through the bond.
Please. I need you to leave.
Not without you, she whispered into me. Never without you.

This book wrecked me you guys. Gah and I already am going to just go ahead and say sorry for all of the quotes I’m about to put into this review. I just can’t pick some and not include others.

Basically, I found this book randomly some months ago on another friend’s to-read list. The beautiful cover intrigued me,
Kathylill
This book is so sad and so full of hope at the same time, terrifyingly beautiful and bittersweet.

This is me reading the book:

Avery has it all: dark magic, villains, heroes, flying horses, a dramatic plot with turns and twists, characters that you adore and villains to hate and last but not least a hauntingly beautiful romance. It’s a magical and dangerous world where Kayans and Pirenti look with prejudiced hatred on each other and wage a centuries old war. The story is told from 4 different po
Kaila
RE-READ: June 2018

5/5 stars

“The people of Kaya die in pairs. So it is and will always be.”

I just love this book so much, it is definitely one of my all time favourites. The concept is so captivating and intriguing to me, I was so interested in it even though this is my second time reading it. The characters are so three-dimensional, charming and completely loveable. Each and every one of the main characters hold a special place in my heart and I adored them. In my first read I loved Ava and A
Don
May 11, 2016 marked it as to-read
Look at this beauty that I get to call mine!

Minni Mouse
Well gooooodbye, book slump. Avery was the book I've been deliberately avoiding for years and it ended up being a pretty close hit to the kind of deeper, Adult Fantasy Action/Romance I'd been looking for these past several DNFs. The greatest disservice to this book is its marketing because despite Goodreads insistently recommending this book to me for years, I always pushed it aside because the cover looked like a contemporary romance and the blurb sounded like Daughter of Smoke & Bone, nei ...more
Rebecca
You can read this review and more on my blog

Click here to follow the blog tour for Avery

In a nutshell: Avery is an adult fantasy romance novel with an interesting concept, but it was not particularly my cup of tea.

The people of Kaya die in pairs - when one lover dies, the other half dies as well. Ava is the exception and survives despite her soul being torn in two with her mate's murder. Vowing revenge, Ava plans to kill the vicious Queen of Pirenti but is captured by Prince Ambrose. He takes h
Amy Norris
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Gah this was so frustrating for me. I had such high hopes for this book and the potential was there but ultimately it just had too many issues to be anything higher than a 3 stars.
The writing and characters were fantastic. The world was promising but the world building didn’t do enough for it to work. The actions of the characters were at times stupid and unbelievable and the plot itself had many issues like pacing. It felt like this was a solid first draft that needed a strong developmental ed
Mei
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

WOW!!! It has been a really long time that I’ve enjoyed a fantasy book this much!

It’s strange. It’s refreshingly new! It’s romantic in a painful way. It’s violent. It’s… it’s… it’s GREAT!!!

"The people of Kaya die in pairs.
With the forging of the soul magic, so is forged an unbreakable bond between those in love. When one dies, so shall the other, and forever will it remain so..."

Such a romantic premise… But the beginning of the book is ve
Kristen
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4 STARS!

I wasn't sure how I would like this book. I am so glad I had chance to read this! Fantasy is not my usual genre. But hey if it has romance I will try it. I found myself instantly absorbed into the magical world Charlotte McConaghy created.

While reading this story I couldn't help myself from thinking about:

photo e029c81e9cc3d7cb9f245b01661eb7ed.jpg

AND

photo 3de17de56e5e23d1d4129f58d8f44106.jpg

Seriously though, this story was awesome!

"The people of Kaya die in pairs.
With the forging of the soul
magic, so is forged an
unbreakable bond between
those in love. When one d
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Avery, the first book in Charlotte McConaghy's romantic fantasy adventure trilogy, The Chronicles of Kaya, introduces a nation divided by war. For centuries the people of Kaya and Pirenti have fought bloody battles for dominance. The Pirenti, ruled by the sadistic Barbarian Queen, have the advantage of size and strength, the Kyan rely on the magic of the Warders and the bravery of their people to fight the tyranny.
During a mission to assassinate the queen in her castle, Avery is caught and sava
Rochelle
Check out my stop on the Avery blog tour here: https://rlsharpe.wordpress.com/2015/0...

I loved Avery, the romance in this was EPIC. My two favourite genres, fantasy and romance, have been blended to make this heart stopping, swoon worthy tale.
Ava is seeking revenge on the blood thirsty queen of Pirenti who killed her bondmate. She dresses as a boy and sneaks into Pirenti – only to be captured by Ambrose, a Pirenti prince. She is sentenced to a remote island prison, and the prince is to escort he
Patrycja
**ARC courtesy of Random House Australia Pty via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Epigraph

The people of Kaya die in pairs. With the forging of the soul magic, so is forged an unbreakable bond between those in love. When one dies, so shall the other, and forever will it remain so …
– extract from the words of Agathon of Sancia

First Warder of Kaya
Forged in iron are men.
Bound for the earth are women.
– extract from The Song of Pirenti

Love. Passion. Revenge. Hate.

Avery is first installment
Cheska
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Edited:
This book has got to be one of my all time favourites though I feel that this is extremely underrated and people should start picking this book up! If you're a Sarah J Maas fan or simply a YA fantasy and romance fan, then this book is for you! I finished this novel only a few days ago and I still could not get over how painstakingly beautiful it was. I think the reason why I absolutely loved this book was because I could see a lot of similarities with A Court of Thorns and Roses which I
Roxanne
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first reread and I love it even more!

4.5 astounded stars

How is this book still under the radar??
I adored it.

Where to even begin?

Strength wasn't in someone's perception of you - it was in your actions.

We have two kingdoms at war - the Kayans and the absolute barbaric Pirenti. And by barbaric, I am being quite literal. It is a kingdom where men challenge one another when they want what the other has, in a fight to the death. Everything they do is about strength, looking weak is not allowed. W
The Urban Book Thief
Oh my lordy! That was the craziest ride I’ve been on for a while – I’m exhausted. Someone fetch me my Valium and a tumbler of gin! This world is certainly not for the faint-hearted. Not only is it full of bad-assery, but it’s also heartbreakingly sad and full of eloquent expressions of love, suffering and the human condition.

“I loved you when you were a man, and I love you as a woman. I see you as you are, Ave – broken into pieces and suffocating – and I love all the pieces of you, no matter how
Sophie Masson
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'The people of Kaya die in pairs. So it is and will always be. Which is how I know, as I seep onto the cool stone flaggings, that she too will die tonight.'

From those intriguing and spine-chilling first words, I was hooked by this beautiful fantasy novel which not only delivers surprises, suspense, a magical but dark world and great action, but also a moving and powerful exploration of love,loss and second chances. Avery and Ava are lovers who are bonded together, as all Kaya lovers are; and whe
Tamara
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Wow.

This book just had me in awe. A few flaws here and there, but just wow. However, I don't like that the second book to the series (view spoiler).
Ellijay
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
It's the second time I've read Avery and I have managed to fall even more in love with the book and characters though I thought it impossible. I give my love to Charlotte McConaghy for writing this amazing book that makes my life worth living.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Ava and Avery are a bonded couple from Kaya, a land where ancient magic ensures that, once bonded, one cannot live without the other. So when Avery is killed while on a mission to assassinate the evil queen of Pirenti, the northern country with which they have been at war for as long as anyone can remember, Ava is expected to die as well. But she does not, she lives on, though with only half a soul. Vengeance guides her back to Pirenti where, two years later, disguised as a boy called Avery, she ...more
Christa
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
This quote sums up why this book was such a disappointment much better than my ramblings ever could.

‘You don’t deserve his cruelty,’ Ava told me gently. She reached out and ran a finger over the fading purple bruises around my neck. ‘Don’t you understand that?’
I shook my head. ‘What would you have me do?’
‘Leave him.’
‘You don’t leave the people you love,’ I told her simply.
She stopped, considering this. ‘But when they hurt you, Rose? No one is allowed to hurt you. Not ever.’
I didn’t know h
The Gypsy Emmy

My Review :

***** 5 STARS *****

My first glimpse of this book was in one of my fellow bloggers Goodreads 'currently reading' update feed. She had written something along the lines of not knowing if she was emotionally ready for this book. I was beyond intrigued and immediately read the synopsis and decided that I needed this book in my life, although I absolutely couldn't fathom why she wouldn't be ready for this book.

.... And then, I began to read....

And no, I most certainly was not emotionally r
Izzy
I'm a surprised it's been categorised as YA on the side bar genres.....because Avery is NA. For sure.

I loved and hated this book all at once. It was a torturous read full of hope and pain and gruesome details. I swear I've never read a book where the characters get so.....mutilated. Not what I was expecting. I loved the beginning, but the further into the book I read, the less I enjoyed it. But nevertheless it was a powerful read.

Ava was a strong character, but sometimes I wanted to bash her hea
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Official Rating: 2.5 Stars
Let's make this quick. Avery was off to a great start, but it became a chore to read.

Likes
- the bond between Kayans
- the characterization
- the WRITING STYLE
- it was easy to connect to Ava's grief and blind revenge. Wouldn't your first instinct be to hurt the person who destroyed someone you loved? Who destroyed you?

Dislikes
- lacking world-building. The only place I can picture perfectly is the throne room.
- the four perspectives: Ava, Ambrose, Throne, and Rosaline. The
Jessica
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one to read. I found it slightly similar to Sarah J Maas. I think this was to do with the fact that the main female character had such a strong personality. However this book is definitely for grown ups!

There were bits that I thought could have been better; mainly the she hates him, he hates her tug of war they had going on which tends to annoy me. Oh and randomly a third of the way through they start referring to the main antagonist by her first name as opposed to the Barbari
julieta
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

If the premise of the book doesn't already make you wanna read it, I don't know what does.

It's like the Night World thing but in a fantasty world. Oh, and you die. With your soulmate.

I admit I had been more drawn to it thinking Avery (her ex-soulmate, is that a word? More like a well-used term. Anyway, I don't know.) was a girl. He wasn't.
What kind of guy name is Avery?
Also, I had this struggle with Thorne and Rosalyn like I sort of shipped them but he also was abusive as fuck, I know he chang
Maira
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At last....after a very very long period of time i cam across this fantastic fantasy book. It was a pleasure reading it and i seriously couldn't finish it fast enough. The story and characters were awesome and i couldn't be more happy about the ending of the book. It was refreshing.
Taylor
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This killed me, just saying

• Unbound (The Griever's Mark #3)
  • The Stillness of the Sky (Flipped Fairy Tale #2)
  • Dark Tempest (Red Winter Trilogy, #2)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Cutlass
  • Chaos Bound (Chronicles from the Applecross #2)
  • Tether (Many-Worlds, #2)
  • Gemini of Emreiana (Gemini, #1)
  • Ferran's Map (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #4)
  • Tales from the Front (Air Awakens, #2.5)
  • Storm Clouds (Goodabri #2)
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Color Bleach+: The Bleach Official Bootleg
  • Heartland
  • Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • Blood Crown
  • The Last Knight (Pendragon, #1)
  • Rebel Spirits
Charlotte started writing when she was 14 in her home town Armidale. She now has eight novels published and lives in Sydney. She loves to read and write, and has just sold a new fiction novel MIGRATIONS to Flatiron Books, for forthcoming release.

The Chronicles of Kaya (3 books)
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • Isadora (The Chronicles of Kaya #3)
“I wouldn't pick you as the kind of man who'd care to die nicely."
He leant forward, lacing his hands together. "How do you think I'd like to die?"
"In a blaze of ice and fury." He was from Pirenti, after all.
The corner of his mouth hitched up at that, but it was a humourless expression, one filled with chipped edges and painted regrets. "And you?" he asked. " How would you like to die, Avery of Kaya?"
I picked up the oars and started to row.
"I'm already dead, Ambrose.”
3 likes
“He smiled. And as I looked at the naked beauty of the expression, I fell in love with him.
It was that simple, that complicated.”
3 likes