Start by marking “Taming the Telomeres (Telomeres #1)” as Want to Read:
Taming the Telomeres (Telomeres #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Taming the Telomeres

(Telomeres #1)

A survivor. A soul mate. A secret affecting telomeres [tell-uh-meers] - the protective tip of the human chromosome that controls cell life. And death.

[Gold Award Winner-2015 Readers' Favorite Int'l Book Award Contest for Fiction-Thriller. 2015 Medalist, New Apple Literary Awards ebook thriller]
A #1 Amazon Store Best Seller-May, 2016, Suspense Action Thriller Category

High s
Published November 25th 2014 by Challedon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Telomeres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Telomeres

Brooke
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Wow. This book is better than most I've read on the Best Seller list! This is a MUST READ for anyone who likes thrillers. I would LOVE to see this become a movie, as I'm sure it would be a hit. It's similar to a John Grisham book, with the twist factors of Gillian Flynn. I was hooked from the 1st page. I am actually sad that I've finished the book. Please tell me there will be a sequel?!
Garret Holms
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book for so many reasons. As others have said, it’s a page-turner that cannot be put down. The story is well-executed and carefully plotted. Seventeen-year-old Amanda Michaels is the sole survivor in a plane crash. Her uncle, famed attorney Andy Michaels, who launched his career representing families of 9/11 Pentagon crash victims, is devastated by the crash. Ron Michaels, Amanda’s dad and Andy were as close as two brothers could be. Andy’s challenge: to mourn his brother, take ca ...more
Book Him Danno
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Targeting the Telomeres to be an exciting and thrilling with the back bone of a really good espionage book.

The characters are weaved though the book with expertise of a seasoned thriller writer who is able to bring the world he created into the light. R.N Shapiro creates a vivid picture of the world Amanda Michael's is thrown into as she tries to keep the do or die mission from being coming a die mission.
Thank you to Netgellery and the publishers Challedon Publishing for the advance copy of of T
Marni
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A mystery thrill ride that keep you guessing and asking with each page; is this part real? Mr. Shapiro does an excellent job bringing characters to life in this thriller.
Taming the Telomeres has a true life facet to it that makes the reader think beyond the pages, the scope and implications of the woven plots are thought provoking and honestly, a bit scary. I really didn't see the twists coming, I was sucked in and invested in the characters, rooting for Amanda and her tragic circumstances to ho
Lindsay
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't know what book those 4 and 5 star reviewers read, but it sure wasn't the same one I just finished.

The main plot line could have been interesting. Unfortunately, it was botched by bad writing and bad (if any) editing. The writer veered off into tangential or completely irrelevant ramblings on almost every page. There was no "flow" to the words, the scenes, or the story. Scenes sometimes seemed to be randomly plunked down somewhere with no rhyme or reason for their placement.

Plot twists s
Gina Smith
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a great book. The plot was very intense and interesting. Amanda Michaels is a teen aboard a plane that crashed, killing everyone else on board including her mother and father. She has no memory from before the crash and quickly discovers that the disaster may have been intentional, to kill her father. Amanda embarks on a quest to try and uncover the truth and along the way is helped by some friends and her Uncle Andy. She uncovers some amazing facts regarding the work her father was do ...more
Cince
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be warned! This is one of those novels that pulls you in so firmly that you want to pick up the next installment as soon as you are done with the first book. However as of this writing, there is no next installment in print. Some questions were left unanswered and you may have to assume a few things if nothing further comes down the press. That being said, this novel is still well worth reading because how many books do you really find that can grab hold and not let go long after the reading is ...more
Stacy
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Knowing this book is not exactly fiction makes it an even more thrilling read! I got so into the book that I lost sleep and track of time (I ended up being late to an appointment as I was finishing the last pages, oops!). The characters are well-developed and the plot did not disappoint. I look forward to reading another piece of "fiction" from Shapiro (pronounced with a long "i" as in "pie"). Thank you for one of my summer reads!
Angela Robertson
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting, fast-paced plot

A good book, although it seems to lack in fluidity, which is the best word to describe how I feel after reading it. Very unique plot, immensely likable characters, and good descriptions throughout. It just felt very rushed at some points, and then very slow to get to other points. I'm looking forward to the next, however, but I do hope it's a little more cohesive.
Terri B
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got into this book from the very first chapter. It reminded me of Grisham and also of Gillian Flynn. There was some cool character development, and a lot of unexpected twists. I thought I had things figured out, and then, boom, I was wrong. Amanda goes through a huge change from the beginning to the end. Big surprise ending that I never say coming.
Greg B
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found ‘Taming the Telomeres’ very engaging. I enjoy reading suspense novels and found this book to every bit as fun to read as those by Grisham, Dan Brown, etc. I loved the interaction between the characters and the storyline kept me interested and guessing as to what was next. It was hard to put down and I would definitely recommend this read.
Tiffany
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
An amazing well thought out mystery which readers will NEED to solve. The pages are full of so many twists and turns and so SO many secrets.

Pick this book up when you don't want to do anything else for the day because you will not want to put it down. It is an amazing ride!

I received a copy of this amazing book through a goodreads giveaway and the above is my honest opinion
Tom Rogers
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable read. Shapiro writes for the proletariat, so I was able to get through the book relatively quickly. There are some interesting twists and turns (a couple of which I didn't expect at all...though a couple you could see coming). Overall, this was a fun book to read and I highly recommend it.
Dillon Andrews
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought the book was good, it combined a lot of different genres, and there was a lot going on throughout the story to keep the reader guessing.
Carolyn Dewalt
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I so enjoy a thriller with a fresh storyline. This one delivers. I also appreciate the lack of sex and vulgar language which I find totally unnecessary.
Patrick Austin
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. It's a sci-fi/legal/political thrill ride with an incredible twist at the end. I highly recommend this novel.
Gary
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The Amazon page for this book is loaded with awards and medals. So you can imagine my devastating disappointment when, upon the conclusion of this book, I find that it contained no novel elements, and several literary miscues.

One of the major miscues… it was intentional by the author, so not a mistake, just something that didn’t work for me… was the continual switching between present and past tense, and the continual switching between first and third person in the presentation. It was a nice i
Pretty Sassy Cool
3-1/2 stars.

I have always been a fan of biological thrillers so it is no surprise that I was drawn to this book. Taming the Telomeres is a fast paced ride that will keep you guessing all the way to the end.

The story begins with catastrophe. Amanda Michaels finds herself as the only survivor of a plane crash that also claimed the lives of her parents. On top of that devastating fact, Amanda has amnesia and can’t remember anything from her life before the crash.

When Amanda and her uncle uncover
Sophia Madison
Oct 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Goes beyond any logic how this book received the praise it did because this novel was dreadful. I'm sure family and friends helped getting its rating up, but save your money.

The story is muddled, contrived and poorly written. The characters are weak, unlikable, and the dialogue is stiff, unrealistic and hopelessly boring. There are melodramatic twists around every corner. It becomes a jumble of awkward, terrible storytelling.

There are too many characters to keep track of, and after a while you
Katherine  Downey
I received a copy of this book free through goodreads giveaways.

Mary
What could be worse than a plane crash that takes the lives of everyone on board, including your parents? How about being the sole survivor of the crash and waking up from a coma with all your memory gone? Well, this is exactly what happened to Amanda when what was supposed to be a shopping trip for her 18th birthday turned into the worst nightmare of her life. While Amanda is recovering and slowly putting her life back together, her Uncle Andy starts piecing together information regarding the c ...more
Amy
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads awhile ago, but didn't have a chance to start it until just recently. This book was a fairly quick read, very engaging from the first few pages.
From the back cover, this is a story about a girl (Amanda) who is the sole survivor of a plane crash. She loses both her parents and her memory. And from there the story starts to get interesting,. Why is she the only survivor? Why does she heal so quickly? Who can she trust when it becomes obvious the plane crash wasn
Tea
It started off as an engaging intrigue that was, unfortunately, poorly written. Character voices were as awkward as the author's voice, dialogue was atrocious (stilted, unrealistic, rarely varying in style from character to character), and narrative was only marginally better than the other two. But the plot left me wanting to know more. And then it had me wanting to know even more – I was engaged enough that I hardly noticed the author's poor grasp of grammar and odd sense of stringing words to ...more
MayCay Beeler
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was quite a treat. As fellow authors, Richard Shapiro and I exchanged books at the Readers’ Favorite International Book Award Ceremony. I never read thrillers, but, out of niceness, I decided to give this acclaimed book a shot. Glad I did because now I know firsthand what the buzz is about! Once I opened the book, I was hooked. Couldn’t wait to see what would happen next. As an investigative journalist, I tried to stay ahead of the story predicting how it would unfold, but Shapiro was ...more
Clinton Sites
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ACFR copy in exchange for an honest review.

I started reading this novel and originally not impressed - I mean this is suppossed to be science fiction / covert ops / spy novel.

The action sequences are subdued for the most part, the covert ops are played very cooly - and the science part of the story is based on poesn't seem to be all that.

However - the author weaves the emotional lives of normal spies (no Jason Bournes here) with human foibles with the real life implications of the
Unspun
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is one of those books where you ask yourself: "if I find this book terrible, where did those rave reviews come from?"

the storyline it promises is fascinating and it kept popping up as an advertisement on my Kindle so I thought I'd give it a go.

Un-putdownable etc. I was looking for a thriller and the blurb and reviews (unputdownable) promised that.

But even 10 pages into the book and it was obvious that the characters lacked depth. But you were swept along by the small segments the book wa
Kathi
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would really give 3.5 stars but that is not possible. This is a good story with some glaring issues. I loved the idea behind the story. The characters were interesting but really needed more individual development and the relationships between characters need work. There are parts that just dont work; such as the disguises used when Amanda and David go to New York to speak to the lawyer. They are carrying a faux infant and shes 7 months pregnant? Really? This could be great with a little more ...more
Mike Power
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Telomeres has an excellent pace and a brilliantly convoluted plot. Some of those convolutions have to do with what I find to be remarkably adept use of language. The science is not as plush, detailed, and well-developed as, say, a Crichton, but it is there and well done. I likewise find the law to be well done, and my perspective on that is that of an active trial attorney. Highly recommend this one.
Barbara
A great page turner, the author starts the novel by saying it's actually a true story with enough changes to keep him out of trouble with federal agencies. So I kept worrying that it would get weird and preachy at some point about what happens after we die. Not to worry - I'm pretty sure now that his introductory note was part of the novel. Anyway, if you look at it that way, the story is lots more fun. Main characters are likable; some of the minor ones could have used more fleshing out.
Hari
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received this book from a first-read giveaway.

This is my first exposure to R.N. Shapiro's work, so I didn't have a very good idea of what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised! It did not disappoint as a thriller, and though it sometimes felt disjointed, it held its own overall quite nicely.

• Origin: Season One
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • After Effects (Inspector Sloan #15)
  • Splicer
  • Hunter's Heart (8 Million Hearts #4)
  • The 731 Legacy (A Cotten Stone Mystery #4)
  • Dead Man Falling (Johnny Fedora #3)
  • Jigsaw
  • A Hero's Death
  • Melt
  • Levkas Man
  • Retribution (City of God, #3)
  • The Orpheus Descent
  • The Death of Friends (Henry Rios Mystery, #5)
  • The Hand of Christ (The Sterling Novels, #1)
  • Dark Legion (Blood of Blood, #1)
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Golden Chariot
Rick Shapiro is an author, inventor and practicing attorney.
Taming the Telomeres is a #1 Amazon Bestseller in the suspense thriller category and a sequel novel, Targeting the Telomeres was released in 2018, and was an Official Selection New Apple 2018 Suspense Thriller Book Award Winner.
"Taming" won the Gold Award for Fiction-Thriller in the 2015 Readers' Favorite Int'l. Book Awards Contest, and w

Telomeres (2 books)
  • Targeting the Telomeres (Telomeres #2)
“Can you tell me what the nature of this call is?" Angie again asks after giving the caller Andy’s number. ” 0 likes