Start by marking “The Future Falls: An Enchantment Emporium Novel (The Enchantment Emporium Book 3)” as Want to Read:

The Future Falls: An Enchantment Emporium Novel (Gale Women #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,431 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
When Charlotte Gale’s aunt warns their magical family of an approaching asteroid, they scramble to keep humanity from going the way of the dinosaurs. Although between Charlie’s complicated relationship with sorcerer Jack, her cousin Allie's hormones, the Courts having way too much fun at the end of days, and Jack's sudden desire to sacrifice himself for the good of the man
Published November 21st 2014 by Titan Books (first published November 3rd 2014)

Robin
If anyone has any kind of advance copy of this, I will read it and review for you.
I will smile while doing it.

#crossmyheart.
#notabovebribery
Sidsel Pedersen
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban_fantasy, 2014
It's about Canada, music, magic and an extinction event... now that's not your typical urban fantasy

A few quotes to illustrate why this book is awesome:
“And we're screwed either way. Twenty-one months, big hunk of rock, bam, extinction event.” “Bam?” “Scientifically speaking.” LOL

"Life isn’t a Michael Bay movie.” “Usually, that’s a good thing.”

This is one of my favourite urban fantasy series because of it’s themes of family and because of the fact that is just so darn well written. Huff has writ
Bruce
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic Gale Girls/ Enchantment Emporium novel. Like most of Tanya Huffs books, I found it impossible to put down, being held back only by the need to go to work. The characters are as always charming and quirky, and the plot moves at a rapid pace. I rather like the mix of fantasy creatures that show up, and the storyline offers a great save the world experience. If you like elves, dragons, brownies, leprechauns, asteroids, or just plain good writing, this book is for you. Looking forw ...more
Katyana
It took me a long time to pick this book up off my shelf, because I suspected I wouldn't like it. And I loved the first book in this series so much, I just really didn't want to read a book I wouldn't like.

Well, I was correct... I didn't like it. Because, frankly, I seriously dislike Charlie (the heroine).

A flaw throughout the series is the lack of actual world-building when it came to magic. I didn't understand what they could do, what they couldn't do, what the limits were... of both Gales and
Elizabeth
I had an extremely difficult time rating The Future Falls. As painfully as I got wrapped up in the Jack/Charlie angst, I still loved probably the first 90% of the book. That's a lot of book to love. But I'm also susceptible to the ending ruining everything I previously loved when I'm that emotionally invested.

I didn't mind the resolution to the story's antagonist, if you will. Sure, it was kind of an info dump at the last minute, but that wasn't what the book was about anyway. It was Charlie &a
Andrea Rittschof
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book so much that I dived deep into the day after I got it and then spent three hours on Saturday to finish it. Got it on Thursday. I love the characters and it just makes you jump in and forget about the world outside while you are reading it. It was all about Charlie and Jack this time and I liked the element of attraction, caring between the characters and whether they get together or not. The best part, the author, Tanya Huff, does not break the rules of her earlier books ...more
Craig
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Gale Women urban fantasy series and, like the previous two, is a fun and light read, though it didn't hold my interest quite as well. The dialog is fun, as Huff's always is, with fast and clever wittiness. There was a little too much angst about the forbidden and frustrated romance between the thirty-year-old witch and the teenaged dragon-prince. I couldn't buy that an incestuous and poly-amorous band of witches would really be too hung up on the age rule. There was ...more
Lea Setegn
I LOVE the Gale family and I LOVE Tanya Huff's urban fantasy. That said, there was something that didn't work for me with this novel. To be vague and spoiler-free, there was a lot of drawn-out angst with a resolution that was too quick after all the build up. And the ending especially didn't work for me from a character perspective. Plot-wise it was freaking brilliant. But it didn't serve the characters. I'm glad she writes trilogies (with the exception of the Vicky Nelson novels), because I thi ...more
Darcy
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, e-book, uf, magic, time-travel
With this one things got tough for the Gale family, but especially for Charlie and Jack. I felt for both of them, that due to the "family rules" they couldn't act on their attraction, but was also sort of glad as the ages of them sort of grossed me out.

I loved all the people that were able to help explain things to Charlie, they were interesting characters!

The solution that worked sort of made my head hurt. You had to really pay attention to who was doing what, when. That sounds easy, but not r
Lisa
I loved everything about this book. If I thought the first book was weird, this one took the weird up to 11, especially at the end. Loved it.
Sylvia McIvers
It's the End of the World. With Teddy Bears.

A huge rock is falling out of the sky. NASA can't fix it. The Gale girls, witches to the bone, can't fix it because it is Not Of This Earth. Charlie, musician-magician extraordinaire, can't fix it, barbecue sound doesn't travel through space. The Gales got a heads-up, though, because they have a Seer in the family. Also, Crazy Dave talked about it on the internet. Well, there's a sure and certain omen.

While Charile the Bard is chasing down some music,
Li
I finished this a while back, but hadn’t quite figured out how to talk about it. Partly because it’s one of her Gale Girls books, which is her kind-of-dubcon/incestuous-if-you-squint-at-it fantasy series, what with family and magic and interfering aunties pairing up cousins left, right, and centre. But also because… that ending.

Right, I did like TFF – okay, I really liked it – but I suspect a lot of it was because I read it with my romance hat on and therefore totally wallowed in Charlie and Jac
Lila Allen
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who had read the other twow
Shelves: mine-mine-mine
Ah, well.

Of course, the writing was superb. The slang, the subtle word play, the allusions to sex without the graphic detail, the melding of "real world" and Gale world - all classic Tanya Huff.

But if you're like me, you read the Keeper Trilogy - and the final book was the jewel. So, I expected the same of Future Falls. I couldn't put the book down, naturally. And there were some elegant moves I did NOT see coming, but...

some spoilerish ***************

Oh, the angst! The torture! The emotional t
Cupof Tea
I was happy to find a 3rd instalment of the Gale Women series, which continues Charlie's struggle in a double life between the comforts of domesticity at home with Ally and the babies and her adventures as she travels through the Wood and grows ever more Wild and like her crazy Auntie Catherine, the Seer. Music is her magic, but can it save the family, or more importantly, the world from an apocalyptic event such as an asteroid strike?

I loved Jack's POV the best in this book, a dragon prince gro
Kari Chapman
I was disappointed by this book. I typically like Tanya Huff's books - especially the more recent stuff. The first book in this series was great. It had a nice plot, some great humor and great characters. The second book was ok. It was nice to see more of Charlie and Jack, but they didn't make for the best main characters. This one just fell flat for me.

The beginning was ok, though I thought Allie wasn't really acting the way I would have expected her from the earlier book. By the middle things
Cissa
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid ending to this series, which I have enjoyed. DO NOT start here! You really need to read the previous 2 first.

While in general I find time travel to be rather deus ex machina- what CAN'T you solve thus???- Huff did a good job of balancing that with the plot, and for time travel, it was remarkably coherent.

Also, I think the characters were on the whole richer and better realized than they were in the second book.

The plot was an interesting meld of sf and fantasy, and the question of how fa
Leigh
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So I liked the first two books. But this one got weird really fast, that I had to stop reading it. Basically, Charlie (30 year old female), is having feelings for a 17 year old male dragon prince, and vice versa. I stopped reading to see if they acted upon those feelings. I didn't need to read anything else, nor did I care. Why even develop a story line like this. What's the point. It's disgusting. I'm done with Tanya Huff.
Sharon Michael
A good addition to the series with a few reservations. It answers some of the questions of where/how although that raised my eyebrows just a bit. The 'have to save the world from an extinction event/asteroid' was an interesting plot theme, but I found the journey to get there rather slow and convoluted and I found Charlie and Jack as family-banned lovers rather incomprehensible.

Overall, my least favorite of the three books but not a waste of time.
Gail
Interesting, entertaining read. It's an "end of the world" fantasy that has the characters fight and struggle and think and worry, and then at the end when the disaster is about to hit, they go "Shazam!" (so to speak) and the disaster instantly goes away without any apparent effort. Sort of "oh, is that all?" It's a good read, but a little anticlimactic.
David
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic tale about the magical Gale family. The women (and their men) end up saving the world this time with the help of Faery and Dragons. Their mysterious group is very engaging, and you can believe that there really is magic in the world. Tanya Huff is an excellent author.
Alvin
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Tanya Huff's writing & this didn't disappoint -- quirky, funny, with lots of crazy stuff happening. Never a dull moment!
Tasha Turner
Enjoyed. It was nice to visit the Gale family again. Good solid writing. A fun afternoon read.
Morgan Dhu
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanya Huff’s The Future Falls is the third book in her more-or-less urban fantasy series about the Gale family, whose women are strangely gifted and powerful and whose men - rare in a family of many sisters, aunties and nieces - are embodiment of the Horned God.

As The Future Falls begins, one of the Gale clan’s senior auntie, Aunt Catherine, has a cautionary vision about a large rock falling, betokening danger for the family. At roughly the same time, an astronomer reports in secret committee th
Melly
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was easily one of the best I read in a while.
In this last book, we finally learned something about the origins of the Gales, or their ancestors - though I'm not quite sure how Auntie Ruby knows the god - but not so much that their magic is not mysterious anymore.
It took me a while to wrap my head around the last few chapter, which were quite unexpected but I enjoyed them. Honestly, when I read the summary, I was afraid how the age difference would turn out in a relationship with Ch
Nona
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthwhile series

I like Tanya Huff. This third and I believe final book in the Enchantment Emporium series is ok. There is magic and pie, charms and references to eroticism, Armageddon and time travel. It became a bit too convoluted and vague for me to really enjoy. Found myself doing that page skimming thing one does out of boredom. I needed more substance and less metaphysical mind games.
Would I read the series again, if I knew the outcome of my interest level? I'll have to ask Charlotte Gal
Kathleen
Well, I stuck with this series to this point and I'm still not sure I understand the Gales. But I still hoped finishing this series would help me understand this world. I'm fascinated by some of the concepts of "wood" travel and time travel and Charlie as a free spirit following the music. But I felt so much remained unexplained, ultimately I felt unfulfilled. I hung with it, but don't yearn for more.
Sierra
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vague Spoilers

Charli was much more put together in this book. I enjoyed it until the end. The ending felt slapped together, as if the author was like "Hey, I want this to happen, so I'm just going to make it happen regardless of clarity or logic or story flow." I don't know where the twenty years came from or the self-causing loop.
allan lowden
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Family time

Excellent books for anyone with imagination. A few to many aunties to keep track at the start but soon settled and flows. Really enjoyable books for anyone who does not mind a bit of strong language and innuendo
Joanne Watkins USA
Ok

This has two clear narratives; the world is danger of an Armageddon asteroid, and Charlie and Jack are two many years apart but they love each other. They ultimately merges and we have a HEA. However the ending to both stories felt rushed and somewhat trite.
Highlyeccentric
Okay, book. If you're going to make me ship a somewhat worrying older-cousin/younger-cousin wossname (which I'm a little disgruntled about, I *liked* their mentorly dynamic), and you're going to sell me on it... that is a terrible resolution full of plotholes, and without so much as a kissing by way of payoff.

Also the giant asteroid thing was a bit... much.
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Wood Sprites (Elfhome, #4)
  • The Desert and the Blade (Emberverse, #12)
  • Unbound (Magic Ex Libris, #3)
  • The Sleeping Life (Eferum, #2)
  • Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)
  • Mind Magic (World of the Lupi, #12)
  • Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1)
  • Pride's Spell (Sin du Jour, #3)
  • Carousel Tides (Archers Beach, #1)
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #4)
  • Tainted Blood (Generation V, #3)
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff

Gale Women (3 books)
  • The Enchantment Emporium (Gale Women, #1)
  • The Wild Ways (Gale Women, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Belief is not a required component of ability.” 1 likes