Start by marking “Pantheon: The True Story of the Egyptian Deities” as Want to Read:
Pantheon: The True Story of the Egyptian Deities

Pantheon: The True Story of the Egyptian Deities

The most important myth in Ancient Egypt is faithfully retold in glorious black and white! Horus, son of Isis, vows bloody revenge on his Uncle Set.
Published October 2014 by Lead Ache

To ask other readers questions about Pantheon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pantheon

Start your review of Pantheon: The True Story of the Egyptian Deities
Jon Nakapalau
Very funny take on the Osiris myth that is also very adult (not for children). Hamish Steele manages to keep the major points of the myth in focus while presenting the story in an almost adult animation perspective; while I would not base my understanding of this important myth on this version only it is a very good introduction to further reading.
Dov Zeller
Lots of bickering gods who also chop each other to bits, or just chop off specific bits, stab each other, poison each other, sleep with each other (meaning sisters with brothers, nephews with uncles, sisters with their sisters' husbands, brothers with their brothers' wives, and I'm sure I'm missing quite a few configurations.) And they kill lots of humans and then regret it and then do it again.

I love ancient Egyptian mythology and this is a wonderful book and a great reference (there are many
Mike
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-and-manga
I've always had a weird mental block re: Egyptian mythology, probably because the D'Aulaires never wrote a book about it that I could read until the covers fell off when I was nine. I've never been able to remember who's the god of what, or who's married to whom, or who cut off whose junk. That block is gone now, thanks to Hamish Steele's beyond-delightful book Pantheon. Using a simple, Simpsons-esque drawing style and a radiant color palette, Steele recreates the legend of the feud between Set ...more
Dramapuppy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This thing is hilarious.

I almost gave this just four stars because it's pretty shallow and stupid, but that seemed unfair. Not every book has to be a literary classic. There's a time for that, but there's also a time for sex jokes. And these sex jokes are told really well. Steele accomplished exactly what he set out to do. Why should I give excellence in crude humor a lower rating than excellence in symbolism and allegory? Reading is supposed to be fun.

And this is definitely fun!
Leo Robertson
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining intro to the story of the Egyptian deities—will serve me as an excellent primer and give me confidence when I eventually delve into more complex texts on the matter. I imagine it would share the same function for you!
Elizabeth A
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2018
The Gods are nuts. Don't take my word for it. All you'd have to do is read about any of them. Like I said, nuts.

This comic is about the Egyptian Pantheon and their shenanigans. Oh my word, but nutty doesn't begin to describe what's going on here. Incest, murder, poison, betrayal, lots of sex - yes, I guess it is rather like Game of Thrones with these cutely drawn, chubby gods. The art is fun and colorful and cutesy, and you'd be wrong to think it might be appropriate for kids. It is not. That
Nicola Mansfield
Wonderful! Absolutely entertaining! I'm fond of all mythology and Egyptian is high up on my list of favourites. What Steele has done here is make these complicated characters and stories accessible to the lay reader bringing with them all the sex, violence and hilarity you could want. Absolutely not a book for children as it is very sexually graphic but a host of fun for adults. The art is a lot of fun, drawn in a Simpsons-ish style while using the profiles found in Egyptian art itself. This is ...more
Hannah
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fun read; most of my time spent reading this graphic novel was spent cackling.
Emily
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2018
I laughed so much when I read this. I must track down other work by Hamish Steele. It’s definitely not for kids—it’s sweary and explicit—but I highly recommend it to adult readers, whether or not you normally read graphic novels. It was great medium for Steele’s clever intro to Egyptian mythology.
J.A. Ironside
I was given this as a birthday present (approximately 4hrs ago at the time of writing this) and I read it in one sitting. This is a record for me with graphic novels because I find them difficult to read and often put them down for days at a time. (Yes I know that's the weird way round and most people work better with images included.) Pantheon is utterly stupendous, uproariously funny and slyer than Set in it's delivery. The style of the art work perfectly fits the storytelling which is always ...more
Caleb
'The Greatest Story ever told' is often a subtitle applied to the Bible or particularly the story of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately they will no longer be able to use this line now that Hamish Steele has published Pantheon, which is unequivocally the Greatest Story Ever Told.

Crass, bawdy and painfully human are how I like my deities and this is what Steele offers in his eloquent and explicit linear retelling of ancient Egyptian creation myths. With humour and a vibrant graphic style you'll be
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
I'm a girl who loves her mythology. Give me a book on Egyptian mythology and I'll eat it up in a week. Give me a graphic novel on Egyptian mythology that's illustrated by a talented artist that mixes subversive humor with interesting plots and you've got a hell of a book.

Hamish Steele's Pantheon is a very good read, and one you can easily do in a couple hours. I think what I appreciate the most about it is Pantheon's delight in the absolute absurdity that is Egyptian mythology. Brothers sleep
Allie
So funny! This book is in league with My Dirty Dumb Eyes as one you should maybe refrain from reading in public or on transit. Before I read this I had only a passing knowledge of the Egyptian pantheon, mostly what I remember from reading The Egypt Game as a kid. I don't think I have a spectacular understanding now, but it's better! I love the visual style and I love the funny, straightforward writing. Definitely recommended!
Erin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and adorable and bonkers wild.
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty, charming, aptly lewd rendition of Egyptian mythos. I loved it. Art is fantastic.
Justin Ridley
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny with stunning artwork. I learnt a lot of things here and was entertained the entire time.

*DISCLAIMER: So very not for children!*
Amber
Highly entertaining.
Retells the passage of kingship from Atum to Horus. Pretty and fun, with a lot more semen salad dressing than I was expecting. A bit too glib and too much of a "just so story" about human hegemony to be fully enjoyable.

Alex Sarll
"On the great sea of Nu, a pyramid named Benben rose from the water with silent purpose...
Benben flowered a lotus.
And the lotus flowered the Sun.
The Sun rose up, signalling the dawn of the first day.
And the Sun named itself Atum.
With only eternal darkness for company, Atum did what anybody would do when faced with endless loneliness.
He had a wank."

So begins a retelling of Egypt's myth of origin, from the creation of the world to the murder of Osiris by "notorious cock" Set, the birth and
Robert
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous telling of the central myth of the divine creation of the world and Egypt in particular. Steele writes that he hoped to convey some of the humor that would have been in every telling of these stories, and I think he succeeded. I could see this as the basis of a great animated series. I only wish we saw more of Medjed (maybe in the movie?).
Kate Atherton
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I truly enjoyed this re-telling of Egyptian mythology through the crude, Simpson-esque humor and wit of author and artist Hamish Steele. A LOT happened in the pieced together annals of Egyptian lore that I did not know about and that you cannot get merely from an art museum visit OR the movie "Gods of Egypt". This book highlights the amount of incest, random animal transformations, needless violence and complicated relationships between the core group of Egyptian gods descended from Ra/Atum (are ...more
Rod Brown
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Banned Book Week 2017. This year I'm reading a few picture books that have been challenged for their content, and while this graphic novel is not a picture book nor has it been banned or challenged, I'm going to count it because it is only a matter of time before it makes the list. Pantheon is deliciously profane and foul! That's my favorite kind of humor when it is done well, and Hamish Steele does it very, very well.

Seriously, this is not to be confused with those staid, boring graphic novels
Carl Waluconis
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Followers of mythology, humor, and of course Graphic novels
Nearly all the other reviews here have this right. It is delightful and hilarious, and makes the often confusing Egyptian mythology more clear. The family of the gods are mean and snarky to each other, but it all reads like a very strange dysfunctional family with, well, godlike powers. Amazing how the author puts so much humor in these very violent tales. The graphics are perfect, with a touch of ancient Egyptian art. Even though I have hundreds more graphic novels than any human being needs, I ...more
Angela Groves
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha! Oh my word, this had me giggling like me four year old!

This is the story of how the God's of Egypt created the world, tried to rule it, got bored, tried again, tried to kill eachother and then left to let us humans get on with it. It was bloody brilliant!

The story had humour pumped into it by the bucket load. Some fantastic puns (Oh my Ra! I love a good pun), some cock jokes, and some over the top comic dismemberment. The illustration is plumped up, cutesy, Egyptian style hieroglyphics,
Lynn DiFerdinando
Bought at FlameCon 2018 from the author. Absolutely wonderful! Beautiful colors, a fun and engaging read, and a fairly comprehensive look at the Set-Horus feud. It reminded me of reading Marcia Williams’ Greek Myths for Young Children (which I was obsessed with as a kid) in the side comments and jokes and the way it took it seriously but also made it a little silly. This one’s not for young children though, with the explicit sex and incest jokes.
Frankie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read for any fan of Ancient Egyptian mythology. The gods are given so much character and humour, they really come to life from the pacing, the structure and the snappy dialogue.

Genuinely wanted to read this again, immediately after devouring it in one sitting. Definitely one of the greatest comics I've read.
Nancy
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hilarious take on Egyptian mythology! It focuses on the Osiris myth, but also explores the beginning of creation and other lesser known gods. Steele does an excellent job crafting a continuous, wacky story, and breathes life into Egyptian mythology. Like he says in the afterword, mythologies are meant to be a little ridiculous.
Lindsay
That was hilarious and crass. It also used the word "literally" waaay too frequently and I was bummed Seshat never made an actual appearance, but I would definitely read more of Steele's Egyptian mythology recaps.
Paula -
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love mythology! Egyptian, Norse, Greek and Roman. All of them are confusing and have stories within stories.
But this graphic novel summed up one of the stories so well. The art style was perfect. The pacing was perfect, (I read it under an hour) it kept you wanting to see what happened next. It was humorous. And with the source material I think that is the best way to go.
This is definitely not a book for children! But I think older teens and adults would get a kick out of it.
Adele
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally amusing, but mostly the humor was way too juvenile for my tastes. Fart jokes? Really?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Girl Town
  • Joe Quinn's Poltergeist
  • PTSD
  • Cannonball
  • Our Encounters with Evil: Adventures of Professor J.T. Meinhardt and His Assistant Mr. Knox
  • The American Dream? A Journey on Route 66 Discovering Dinosaur Statues, Muffler Man, and the Perfect Breakfast Burrito: a Graphic Memoir
  • Darwin: An Exceptional Voyage
  • Qualification: A Graphic Memoir in Twelve Steps
  • How to Survive in the North
  • House of Women
  • Verax: A Graphic History of Electronic Surveillance
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Coyote Doggirl