Start by marking “It Took a War” as Want to Read:
It Took a War

It Took a War

1861 - Sixteen year old Joe Roberts leads a mundane life as far as he’s concerned. His world spins in the same circle each day: working at his family’s store, taking his sisters on boyish escapades and bickering with his rogue of a cousin, Lucas. Joe can’t understand why his mother allows Lucas to live and work with them after all the pain he caused their family. When war ...more
Paperback, 1, 166 pages
Published December 15th 2014 by The White Rose Press (first published December 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about It Took a War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Took a War

Start your review of It Took a War
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Age Appropriate For: All ages (some mild violence)
Best for Ages: 10 – 18

It is always a pleasure to find books my fellow homeschool graduates have written in my favorite genre, historical fiction. It is also a delight to find someone who has such a passion that they do a huge amount of research and make the book feel authentic.

This story is perfect to introduce young readers and students to the Civil War as well as concepts of forgiveness and problems of bitterness. Not only does the style and
Annie Hawthorne
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Five reasons to read "It Took A War":

One: The setting. (I don't know about you, but I've always found the Civil War era enthralling and this book gives you a taste of it without overwhelming.)

Two: The plot. (If you like brothers-at-odds sort of stories then this is the book for you.)

Three: Lucas. (Characters with hurting hearts always capture my attention. Their pain becomes my pain and I root for them to the end. "The world was cold. And no one cared." *whimper*)

Four: Putzke has a talent for
Bekah
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book by Emily Ann Putzke. It was a rather short read, but I didn't mind that at all. It was fast paced and got into the action quickly. I also felt that it was well researched and the characters were strong.

What I Liked: All the characters were very well developed and had their own personality, strengths, and struggles. I liked how they were transformed throughout the book--especially Lucas and a certain incident that happened at the end of the book. I can't say what, or
Emily Chapman
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the thing that stood out to me the most in IT TOOK A WAR was the simple serenity. Many authors writing are not forced, quite, but they don't sweetly describe the things of everyday life. Putzke pulled that off. IT TOOK A WAR excels in genuine humanity and the description of life as it simply is. The characters are well-rounded -- as a reader, you can feel that the author knows the characters he has created. I personally believe that is something hard to come by and is a hurdle not often ...more
Hannah Walsh
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been highly anticipating this read for a long time, and I was not disappointed.

Emily is a talented storyteller. The writing was descriptive yet straightforward, and the characters were unique and realistically flawed. The theme of forgiveness that ran through this story was touching and thought-provoking.

Learning about life as a Union soldier was fascinating to me. I appreciated hearing not just about the battles, but about the more ordinary day-to-day life of the soldiers.

This book was
Hailey Rose
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read this book for a good long while, so when I was given it for Christmas, you can guess at my excitement. I wasn’t disappointed in the least.

Plot/Storyline: 5/5
The internal/external conflict was perfectly played out in all the characters.

Characters: 5/5
I really liked all of them. And I want to know what happens with Coralie and Levi!!!

Writing: 5/5
If I didn’t know that this was the author’s debut novel, I never would have guessed it. The writing style is beautiful and I
Mary
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For me, history really isn’t interesting at all unless I get that personal connection with the material, be it a diary/letter or historical fiction, and I’m ever so happy to say that It Took A War had that in abundance! I was easily swept up into the lives of Joe Roberts and Lucas Holmes, two cousins thrust into the Civil War amid family turmoil. The setting, characters, and descriptions were all so vivid, and the plot held my interest completely. I especially liked the historical songs and ...more
Lauren Lotter
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. In my experience, a lot of war related books are filled with blood and violence. I was pleasantly surprised!
The focus was on the characters and their struggles, rather than on the war. The war was real enough that you knew it was there and felt the pain and the suffering, but it did not overpower the rest of the story and the lesson that the author skillfully wove in.
At the beginning of the book, I did not like Lucas at all! And there were times I
Cadie