Start by marking “Wilhelm Reich in Hell” as Want to Read:
Wilhelm Reich in Hell

Wilhelm Reich in Hell

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Wilhelm Reich In Hell is a two act play providing a remarkable new look at the vilification and destruction of this great man who refused to bow to Gestapo tactics used when the U. S. government jailed him and burned all his published works.
Published January 27th 2005 by New Falcon Publications (first published 1988)

Matt Buchholz
Mar 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Go read "Reich" by Elijah Brubaker instead.
Paranoid counter-culture ramblings of the most embarrassing ilk. I could maybe recommend the introductory essay, engaging and informative in between stretches of unearned arrogance, but there's no reason to touch the play, artless in that special way that's usually reserved for the unskilled, over-ambitious creative writing majors that never learned how to take criticism
Maddsurgeon
I had been really excited when I first heard that Robert Anton Wilson had written a play, but it was a while before I actually got around to reading this. It was kind of hard to find a copy when I first tried, but apparently New Falcon has reprinted it a couple times since then. This one (not pictured; the 2010 printing) has a new foreward by Eric Wagner.

I liked reading this, but as a drama it feels a little stilted. There's a long introduction with the typical sarcastic logical analysis that Wi
Jul 30, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I haven't read this book, but I MUST respond to a claim made in the book description. To say that the government burned all of his published work is simply not true. I have read his work from the 1930's on fascism in the Third Reich.

What was destroyed by the Food and Drug Administration was his sales materials for hocus pocus cures (unlocking the hidden power of orgasm) for cancer that leeched money from families desperate to help their loved ones.

I'm all for genuine research, but what Reic
Suzanne
While the essay in the front half of the book is deeply engaging, (I missed my subway stop twice while reading it), the play itself is not as inspiring. As a theater practitioner myself, I would love to see this play done perhaps in an adapted form, so much of it is repetitious, but without introducing new ideas or content, perhaps someone with a red pen and a vision (see Son of Semele Ensemble's website for production photos from their fairly successful stab at it in 2001).
Felix
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started reading the play I couldn't put this book down. But...Maybe this is not the best book to step right into if you are new to RAW. This might be a better read if you go through "Prometheus Rising" before hand.Because then you'll understand RAW's perspective on things a bit better. But yeah, RAW will get you thinking like he always does in his books. This was an excellent read, and funny as hell too.
Adriana Scarpin
Temos Reich atravessando os bardos com Masoch e Sade como palhaços num circo onde está sendo julgado como psicodrama em que Satã é ao mesmo tempo o ringmaster, o juiz e o terapeuta, tudo embalado a punk rock. Conta ainda com participações especiais de Leopold Bloom, Ronald Reagan, Marilyn Monroe e Oupensky.

David
Laugh out loud funny. One of the most enjoyable books I've read in my life.
Eric
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts-plays
A riotous romp that is as fun on the page as it is in the theater.
Ben Schaffer
False
David
I liked this, and was excited to find there is a recording of a production of this play, which I found immediately.
Ermal Mino
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just genius.
Xiola
I read this on a Greyhound bus riding through Washington D.C. The introduction is reason enough to read this book.
Mustafa Al-Laylah
Apr 24, 2013
Gregory Fox
Nov 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)
  • Angel Tech: A Modern Shaman's Guide to Reality Selection
  • The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Neuropolitique
  • Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices
  • The Golden Apple (Illuminatus, #2)
  • The Mirror of Love
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • Abrahadabra: Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thelemic Magick
  • Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised: An Essay on Magic
  • Austin Osman Spare: The Life and Legend of London’s Lost Artist
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Forbidden Universe: The Occult Origins of Science and the Search for the Mind of God
  • Gone to Croatan: Origins of North American Dropout Culture
  • Magick Without Tears
Robert Anton Wilson became, at various times, an American novelist, essayist, philosopher, polymath, psychonaut, futurist, libertarian and self-described agnostic mystic. Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and Saint of Discordianism by Discordians who care to label him as such, Wilson helped publicize the group/religion/melee through his writings, interviews, and strolls.

He described his work as an
More about Robert Anton Wilson...