Start by marking “Arcane (The Arinthian Line, #1)” as Want to Read:
Arcane (The Arinthian Line, #1)

Arcane (The Arinthian Line #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,607 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Alternate-cover edition can be found here

Warlocks before their time ...

Fourteen-year-old Augum and friends Bridget and Leera dream of becoming warlocks. But with a kingdom in total chaos, it will take courage, sacrifice, and an iron will to make that dream come true.

The Lord of the Legion, a vicious tyrant, has overthrown the king in a relentless and murderous quest for
Published November 25th 2014 by Sever Bronny Ltd. (first published November 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Arcane, please sign up.
Sever Bronny It varies. The first book I started with nothing--no characters, no story, no world, nothing. When I first began writing it, I wasn't even sure if it…moreIt varies. The first book I started with nothing--no characters, no story, no world, nothing. When I first began writing it, I wasn't even sure if it was going to become a sci-fi novel or a fantasy. I just wrote by the seat of my pants. (Chapter two of Arcane was once chapter one, for example--I just started mid-scene). Since then, however, I've evolved my approach. Now I plan things out a little better, flesh out the characters and the basic storyline.

Sithesia (the world of Arcane) grew organically, one scene and idea at a time, and will continue to do so. There are a lot of places and characters yet to be introduced, too, ones I've cultivated for certain situations. Some were born on napkins even (cliche, I know). I draw inspiration from everyday life, politics, movies, internet, but also from my time playing role-playing games as a kid. Sithesia is always growing, and I look forward to seeing what it becomes :) (less)

Sever Bronny
Dec 03, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it, so I'm not going to say if it's any good--that's for you to decide. But if you didn't particularly like Narnia, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings, then Arcane is probably not for you. It's an adventure romp about friendship and survival. There's no cursing or sex or gore or anything. It's not grimdark, nor is it written with flowery prose that will make you swoon. Oh, and there's a happy ending. That kind of thing.

Anyway, let me give you a peek behind the curtain: Gallons and gallon
Terry Juell
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Amazing Adventure!

This is an adventure that starts building right from the very first pages. The author gives a detailed base of the characters which is essential to the adventurous plot and provides the reader all the information they need to care for the main characters. The plot builds as the story moves along making the reader unable to put the book down. After the detailed beginning the book moves along with twists and turns that are very unsuspected. The characters grow stronger and the
Erin Cataldi
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Finally, a good fantasy book for teens! It's The Hobbit mixed with Harry Potter... but set in Eragon... kinda. It's got great fantasy and adventure elements and is a great read for middle schoolers, high schoolers, hell, even adults!

Augum hasn't had a very exceptional life, as a fourteen year old orphan in the service of an old knight, he hasn't experienced much in the ways of the world. When the Legion comes to town murdering everyone and setting the village on fire, he flees for his life, only
David Beehag
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Only found this book by chance, it just poped up on my facebook. It's f***ing amazing can't put it down
Benny Hinrichs
2.5 Stars. This is a long, harsh review because most of the other critical reviews don't go into very much depth. Some points are only nitpicks, but nitpicks add up.

I will say that I knew from the outset this book wouldn't fare well with me. I mainly got it because (1) the author is nice, (2) it was $0.99, and (3) the author said that this series allowed him to quit his job, which had me curious about the quality. I enjoy some middle grade fantasy, but from the start I knew that this book would
DireChicken200
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Throw Fireballs in Arcane!

It all seems simple enough. You say some words, wave your wand, and poof! Something happens, a feather floats, or you are now at a rock in the middle of the ocean, or maybe that random fire went out. This is the world of magic that almost all of us see. Magic is just so easy it seems, there’s really no trial and error. You either get it, or you got something a little wrong, it’s as easy as that.

In the book Arcane, Sever Bronny has a completely new take on magic, where
Valery
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to finally read this, and I will admit I was rather skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.
True there were mistakes, but they were very few and far between.
Would definitely recommend this!

For my clean readers:
Includes violence, slight gore, and mild language.
Monica Evans
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an exciting adventure with great characters, an intriguing plot, and good storytelling. I can see why it is compared to Harry Potter a bit because it has magic, friendship, and an evil super villain. Refreshing & an easy read, suitable for kids too.
Terrence Howard
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended

An entertaining and adventurous read, I highly recommend. You will enjoy the adventures in the arcane world! So, what are you waiting for, read it!
Jonathan Wilson
4.25 Stars
James
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. I can't wait to read the rest in the series.
Andrea Hatfield
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Augum is a fourteen year old boy who has had it a lot harder in life than most other kids around him. For as long as he can remember he has been an orphan. He's constantly being made fun of and mistreated because of it. Augum loses a lot throughout Arcane but he gains a lot when he befriends Bridget and Leera. Together the three friends are thrust into an epic journey of survival and self discovery.

I can't even describe how cool I thought Arcane was. I enjoyed it so much, I didn't want to put i
Justine She sheep
I bought this book on a whim because it was cheap and I liked the story that the writer posted on Reddit when he finished the entire series.

When I read the first couple of pages, I wasn't immediately hooked. It all felt a bit forced, the language, the dialogues, even the magic felt like nothing special. I also hadn't realized that this was more of a YA story (yeah... don't know how I missed that either, as it's not exactly a secret).
I thought this would be a book that wouldn't get finished, and
Sarah Fairbairn
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author, through the Goodreads Group “YA Lovers” in exchange for and honest review. So first, I am going to say Thank you!

Augum; I really liked him. He had it tough as an abused orphan slave boy, until he ended up in the care of Sir Tobias Westwood. Westwood taught Augum to read, hunt, etc. and it is thanks in large part to Westwood that Augum survives to end up with Mrs Stone. Augum has spent all of his life ridiculed and beat up on for being a gutter born
Eric
I wish I could give this a half-star, because it's really a bit better than 3, but not really a 4.

What would happen if Voldemort took over England and Dumbledore had to train Harry, Ron and Hermione while on the lam?

That's not exactly what this book is, but it's a good starting point.

The kingdom is in chaos. "The Legion" and its master, Lord Sparkstone, have deposed the king and are waging a vicious campaign of reprisals and suppression. Augum's home is burned to the ground, his knight-master/fo
Geoff Varner
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why do you read? If you read to be transported to a fantastic world with engaging characters, unique systems of power, and non-stop excitement; then this is your next favorite book and book series. As an avid fan of the fantasy genre, I usually start a new series with some hesitation; Mr. Bronny took that hesitation and smashed it to bits. I devoured this series of book and am hungry for more. These are not your typical fantasy books, these stories have raised my expectation of what an author ca ...more
Shelley
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This book was provided by the publisher/author for an honest review.

Arcane was a fast paced read for me. It did remind me slightly of Harry Potter, but only in the fashion of having young teens and a school for magic. Every character was well developed and I really felt for them through all the tests, tribulations and triumphs. The villains are wickedly evil. The author has created a fantasy world that pulled me in and captivated me. There were a few unexpected revelations I thought were going
Michael Schaefer
This is one of those cases where it's basically impossible to dumb it down to a single rating. But as this is exactly what I need to do, I decided to award 3.5 stars. (And I am of course fully aware that Goodreads doesn't allow me to do that. But anyway.)

I enjoyed the book, but there were a number of things that bugged me. For example, some of the dialogues were written to sound archaic, but to me they just sounded artificial and made me cringe (and in my opinion there was absolutely no need for
Gretchen
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Sharri Williams
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great start to a magical adventure.

I am a big fan of magical fantasies series, such as Erec Rex, The Royal Institute of magic, The Tapestry, and Septemus Heap. I have been looking for a new series to get lost in and I was hooked by the first chapter of this book. It is well written with likeable main characters and an unlikable Prince, but I'm sure he will change his ways soon enough once Ms. Stone gets through with him. Anyway, I would recommend this book for anyone older than 10. I am a tea
Grace Richards
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling, magical and heart-wrenching.

This book follows a young man who discovered he is not an orphan, but instead a lightning sorcerer with a legendary family lineage. I loved this book!! It is rare to find such mastery of plot, character development and literary craftsmanship. A treasure.
lisa shippee
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent & original!

I was delightfuly surprised to find this book was written with a format of its own. This is a great book. Your going to hate finishing it. The journey is wonderful!
Janice Smith-gentry
Great

I have had this book for over two years. After reading it i can't believe I let it sit that long. There are many twists and turns. Characters that you will call in love with and others you will have with a passion. A great start to a new series.
Oliver Foulkes
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, drew me in quickly. Characters feel complete. Can empathize with them. Fast paced read (kept me up until late at night a couple of times)
Dawin Vasquez
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely good

Kept me enthralled the entire story, definitely pulled at my heart strings. Felt connected to the characters. Look forward to the rest of the series.
Rachael
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
JL
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a must read, for anyone who enjoys Fantasy / Adventure. Take Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Eragon and The Belgariad Series throw them into big blender and this is what you get, Simply Amazing... I purchased books 1-3 for some light reading for two week vacation. Figuring finish book 1 start book 2 and have book 3 for after returned. From the moment Augum first meets Mrs Stone I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. Good thing I had books 2-3 otherwise I would have gone ...more
Mark
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me a bit of Harry Potter/The Broken Prism (by V St. Clair - solid series), only lighter and...I don't know the word I'm looking for, but I found the main character Augum very naive. I'm on book 2 and it's bothering me a bit just how soft he is.

I hope he toughens up in later books and I do like the story so I will continue reading. Leera and Bridget are solid characters and their Mentor I like. But man, Augum is starting to get to me...man up boy, you've seen villages burn, people tortur
Israfela
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was mislabeled when I got this book so I'm going off that. Started off okay then turned into a sea of lackluster dialog and cliche rushed plot points that are just so awkwardly said, I cringed.

"Genre: Coming of age epic adventure fantasy"

Epic? Dear god no. It's a young adult fantasy with not much going on in terms of plot, descriptions are over-sold and dreadful dialog. What annoyed me the most was the comparsion to actual books of the 'Epic Fantasy Genre' where whole worlds are made. Just bec
Michael Hollingworth
A Pleasant Read

While nothing stunning, Arcane was an entertaining story that kept me returning to it. The characters were easy to grow attached to, and while there was a relative lack of suspense, just watching the narrative unfold was rewarding. The take on magic was original in its own right, something that is refreshing in a genre full of repeated tropes.

I would definitely recommend this for a light and enjoyable read, but don't go into it expecting anything particularly deep.
  • Peter of the Wind (War of Contractia, #1)
  • Hard Luck (Saga of Menyoral, #1)
  • Rebel Elements (Seals of the Duelists, #1)
  • Wizard Born (Wizard Born, #1)
  • The Necromancer's Nephew (Songreaver's Tale, #1)
  • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)
  • Brightflame Accension (Heroes of Gammalgard, #1)
  • The Other Prism (The Broken Prism, #2)
  • Victor Deus (Heritage of the Blood, #1)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • The Tower of Sorcery (Firestaff series, #1)
  • The Valerie Dearborn Trilogy (Valerie Dearborn, #1-3)
  • Son of Soron (Stoneblood Saga #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
  • Tempting Magic (Myths and Legends, #3)
  • The Dragon's Fury (Relics of Power, #1)
  • Ascension (Spellscribed, #2)
I grew up on Dragonlance and probably spent way too much time playing role-playing games. Then came the video games. As a matter of fact, much of my youth could be considered "wasted" exploring escapism of one form or another.

But then, Nintendo was life in Toronto of '86.

Now I'm a full time author living in British Columbia, Canada. I have a wife who taught me what it means to love someone uncond

The Arinthian Line (5 books)
  • Riven (The Arinthian Line, #2)
  • Valor (The Arinthian Line, #3)
  • Clash (The Arinthian Line, #4)
  • Legend (The Arinthian Line, #5)
“sending parchment flying and forcing Augum” 0 likes