Start by marking “Full Cicada Moon” as Want to Read:
Full Cicada Moon

Full Cicada Moon

Inside Out and Back Again meets One Crazy Summer and Brown Girl Dreaming in this novel-in-verse about fitting in and standing up for what’s right

It's 1969, and the Apollo 11 mission is getting ready to go to the moon. But for half-black, half-Japanese Mimi, moving to a predominantly white Vermont town is enough to make her feel alien. Suddenly, Mimi's appearance is all
Published September 8th 2015 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Full Cicada Moon, please sign up.
Belle I am in 6th grade and we just read this book in our English class and it was great. There are plenty of things to think about and learn from and it…moreI am in 6th grade and we just read this book in our English class and it was great. There are plenty of things to think about and learn from and it would be perfect!(less)
AnchorsAweigh13 Not really, I suppose some parts a bit sad, and the main character gets teased a lot, but I wouldn't exactly call it heart-wrenching. More like…moreNot really, I suppose some parts a bit sad, and the main character gets teased a lot, but I wouldn't exactly call it heart-wrenching. More like touching or inspiring.(less)

Start your review of Full Cicada Moon
Chelsey
I loved this one. Loved it. I want to carry it around. I want to follow people in the streets and read it to them.

Mimi is in seventh grade in 1969, and she's moving from Berkley to Vermont. Her mom is Japanese, and her dad is black, and no one in the little Vermont town looks like them. This novel in verse covers Mimi's first year. What I love is how quietly forthright this book is. It made me imagine the moon landing anew, like it was the first time I'd heard of it - the moon? Are you kidding?
Caitlin
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ethereal coming of age story also... THE COVER REALISTICALLY PORTRAYS THE PROTAGONIST
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Marilyn Hilton's Full Cicada Moon draws comparison to Jacqueline Woodson'sBrown Girl Dreamingand we are the wiser and fulfilled for having more to enjoy.

(Check out my full review at http://www.craftyscribbles.com)
Yusra  ✨
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, poetry
This was REALLY good
the protagonist was super relatable and likeable. def reccomend! Marilyn Hilton really created a diverse character with this novel in verse, and some things will really pull at your heartstrings
JumbleofJargon
This was really good! This is written in the same almost prose like style as Jacqueline Woodson's Brown Girl Dreaming. Full Cicada Moon touches on topics similar to those brought out in Brown Girl Dreaming as well; so if you liked that, may like this.

It's a bit shocking to see how similar 1969 is to 2016. I think my main critique is that everything ends so happily and smoothly. I understand that the author is trying to convey a positive message, but in real life people don't always eradicate
Michele Knott
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I feel sorry for the book I read after this....
Beautiful.
mytaakeonit
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Set in 1969, but so relevant to our world today.
African Americans on the Move Book Club
FULL CICADA MOON is about a young seventh grade girl named Mimi Yoshiko Oliver. She is judged by her race because she is black, but also Japanese; she’s misunderstood because she wants to be different. But she won’t let that get her down, and she soars high to pursue her dream of being an astronaut. Her courage, strength, and determination will make you fall in love with her, her family, and friends.
I fell in love with this story because of the way Hilton wrote each page to be like a poem. It
Sharon Lawler
Liked many things about this novel in verse. First of all, I attended college in Burlington Vt, and besides the skiing, I was in love with the weather, which Marilyn Hilton describes perfectly. She also describes the racial ignorance of the time in such a way that these lines became the underlying theme:

"Like raindrops on granite." I say,
because we know that's how I persist---
drip, drip, drip
until the granite cracks."

This book is character and plot driven, but the craftsmanship in creating the
Shayne Bauer
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a refreshing read. Hilton does an amazing job bringing Mimi to life with the believable innocence of a pre-teen child. Mimi is such an intriguing little girl who draws the reader in through heart wrenching situations, yet she perseveres with admirable courage that teaches a memorable lesson. I love the simplicity of this book, as the story unfolds through verse told in the child's voice. I could hear and feel Mimi's emotions in her words. I typically don't read historical fiction, but I was ...more
Linda
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A “tuck into your heart “ gem.

Coming of age books are one of my favorites. This is
one of the most beautifully written I have ever read with moments we can all relate to.

I cannot find the words to do this book justice,but if you look at the other reviews you will begin to understand . And if you find the time to read with your heart, you will find some magic to savor.

Kristina
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this entire novel, written beautifully in verse, all today. I can definitely understand where the Brown Girl Dreaming comparisons are coming from because both are genuinely outstanding and I feel should seriously be considered as required reading for schools. (or at least an option!!) Full Cicada Moon is a story about growing up, pursuing your dreams, race in the late 1960's, the questioning of gender roles and much more infused into a lovely story about a thirteen year old girl named ...more
Beth Honeycutt
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a beautifully written book! The language is breath-taking. Mimi is a main character that is easy to love as she deals with the realities of her life in Vermont in 1969.
Jaimi Rachelle
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautifully written! The writing is fairly simple, but perfectly suited to the story.
Kristen
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read some really good historical fiction this year, and Full Cicada Moon ranks right up there among my favorites. YA set in the 1960's and the Civil Rights movement generally focuses on African Americans, and while this story does that, we also get the added issues that being Japanese American post-WWII could cause. Mimi is both (and female--another set of issues), and when her family moves from melting-pot Berkeley to the more homogeneous Northeast, she experiences prejudice and mistrust ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Twelve-year-old Mimi Yoshiko Oliver is moving to Vermont with her family and the year is 1969. Because she is half Black, half Japanese, and is interested in some classes usually reserved for boys, she struggles to fit in to this mostly white community where she is constantly dealing with subtle and not so subtle bigotry from classmates, teachers, and neighbors. This book, written in verse, tells how Mimi is able to make friends and how she and her family maintain their unique identities while ...more
Brittany
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Stunning. Important.

This book is told from such a unique point of view, a mixed race middle schooler (black/Japanese), living in a post internment camp/current civil rights movement/cusp of women's revolution (1969) rural America. But....even so....I connected with her so much.

This story is about identity and forgiveness and intolerance and prejudice and tradition and fortitude. The characters are so rich, I especially loved Timothy, the next door neighbor and friend to Mimi.

And
Shelby
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars
I really loved this book. It took me a while to read this book because it was long, but I finally made through it to the end. It was really good. It was different for what I have ever read before, but I liked it for many reasons. The writing of this book was really good. I would read this book again. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Kristina
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this a 4.5. This was a beautifully crafted read. And the story? A great story. It ends a little too tidy...but honestly, I needed that after a few of the YA books I've been reading lately.
Mary Thomas
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a heart print book for me. Incredible and beautiful writing. A female lead that kicks total ass. Great historical fiction. HIGHLY recommend for grades 5 & up
Jenna Iden
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. So good. Perfect middle grade book in verse.

(Maybe I'll rewrite this as a real review someday. Or maybe I'll just leave my honest reaction.)
Anja
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was absolutely fantastic, lovely and wonderful. It was one of those books when afterward, I wanted to reach my hands through the pages and give the main character a nice hug because she was a joy to read about. Mimi, the main character, was a strong, determined, young female character that I hope that I can emulate. I loved her spirit. I loved her courage. I love her. She is determined. She is intelligent. She is courageous. She is the absolute best, and I think that this ...more
Kim Clifton
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mimi, whose father saw Dr. King speak at the March on Washington and whose aunt tells stories of Japanese internment camps, knows a thing or two about discrimination. But she doesn't really experience it for herself until her biracial family moves to all-white Vermont in the late 1960s. Luckily, Mimi is fierce, becomes friends with a few other outsiders, and is able to resist, but it's exhausting. The way she talks about being an outsider sounds identical to the immigrant experience today:

I feel
Mary
Set in 1969, this is a thoughtful verse novel about a biracial girl adjusting to a move in a predominately white community. Mimi's father is African American and her mother is Japanese born and unfortunately because of her heritage is confronted with both rude curiosity and outright racism on a daily basis. Another complication is that Mimi is bright and independent and will not tolerate sexism any more than racism.

Beautifully written and deeply engaging, Hilton does a solid job in being true to
Katie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this book done in less than three hours during a school day. It was so engaging, I don't think I really realized I was reading poetry. I was able to relate to Mimi immediately, because I also wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger. It also would frustrate me to not be able to take certain classes because I'm a girl, although I don't think I'd willingly take suspension to prove my point.
Alison
I have read this book twice now, and I have loved it both times. Mimi kind of reminds me of me when I was little, because I want to be a black belt in Taekwondo when I graduate high school and Mimi wants to be an astronaut, we also have the same attitude towards our goals, They say we can't, but we're going to do it anyway!
martin eden
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED that book! it was breathtakingly amazing! a rollercoaster of emotions: I felt sad, so sad, good, so good! The writing style is incredible: a verse novel, narrative poetry. It's about racism for sure, but also about love, identity, belonging, dreaming...
Meaghan Odell
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A genuinely lovely book with a strong, sensitive protagonist, Mimi. A must-read for all ages that teaches the power of courage, forgiveness, and patience in the face of sexism and racism—both subtle and overt. It’ll be a permanent book on my recommendation list.
Christopher Hicks
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, fast book to read. At times the story was sad even heartbreaking but it had a happy ending. I enjoyed it.
Kayla Leitschuh
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was as beautiful as it was inspirational. For those with big dreams who maybe need a little courage.

• The Game Ends at Sundown
  • The Seventh Most Important Thing
  • Listen, Slowly
  • House Arrest (House Arrest, #1)
  • All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook
  • Stella by Starlight
  • Unbound: A Novel in Verse
  • It Ain't So Awful, Falafel
  • A Time to Dance
“And then I realized you were not rebellious but courageous. You know what that means?

It means being scared but doing it anyway.”
8 likes
“Our dreams are a serious matter. When you take them seriously, everyone else does too.” 8 likes