Start by marking “Roverandom” as Want to Read:
Roverandom

Roverandom

A classic children's story by the author of The Hobbit

Rover should never have bitten the wizard's trousers. His punishment was to be transformed into a toy, and now he is forced to track down the magician so he can be returned to normal. His adventures will take him to the moon and under the sea, introducing him to many fabulous - and dangerous - creatures.

Inspired by the
Published September 2nd 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Roverandom, please sign up.
emre yuvarlak No, Tolkien wrote this story for his son. There is no connection with LOTR or Hobbit. But you can read this book because i think you'll like it.

Start your review of Roverandom
Sean Barrs
This is a fantastically childish book that is thoroughly charming; it really captures the essence of Tolkien’s softer themes and humour. Not everything has to be constantly dark and foreboding for his writing to be successful. This is simple, imaginative and a good little bit of fun.

The tale is quaint and fairly short in which a dog, initially named Rover, is turned into a toy as an act of revenge because he bit a mean old sand sorcerer. Some people really are that petty. This leads to a series
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun little tale.
A little bit manic in parts but full of imagination and a bit of fun.
Definitely one from the days when a kids book was supposed to challenge rather than mimic a childs vocabulary.
leynes
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Roverandom is a novella by J.R.R. Tolkien, originally told in 1925, about the adventures of a young dog, Rover. In the story, an irritable wizard turns Rover into a toy, and Rover goes to the moon and under the sea in order to find the wizard again to turn him back into a normal-sized dog.
The blind was down; but outside the moon rose up out of the sea, and laid the silver path across the waters that is the way to places at the edge of the world and beyond, for those that can walk on it.
Tolki
Mary
I'm ashamed to admit it took me years to read Roverandom, but I'm so glad I finally did. I actually started the book years ago at the repeated insistence of my now-best friend, but I only made it a third of the way through before it went back to the library. I wasn't interested enough to check it out again and finish it then, though I always meant to. As a teenager, I just wasn't very interested in any Tolkien except Middle-earth, even though I was a die-hard Tolkien fan and was very much obsess ...more
Krystal
Random is right.

I read this one many years ago, when the throes of my LOTR obsession were still young. I was reading everything by Tolkien I could get my hands on.

This one was a bit disappointing after the scope and characters of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. It was a fun enough story, I enjoyed it and all, but it was completely forgettable.

Not my fave Tolkien by a long shot, but if you're a fan you kinda have to read it anyway, right?
Allison Tebo
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k, fantasy, v
Re-Read 2020:

Original Review:

Unlikely some of Tolkien’s more depressing offerings to the world of literature, Roverandom is a whimsical little adventure bursting at the seams with old-fashioned romps. The world building is wild and unfettered and reminds one of a slightly manic but happy chef throwing in “a bit of this and a bit of that” into a pot to make an irresistible concoction. The world building is the true highlight here, along with the heartwarming backstory as to why Tolkien wrote this
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
This was an adorable, quirky little tale about a dog named Rover, who ticks off a wizard - as one ought not to do - and gets turned into a toy dog and all the adventures that follow as he tries to get himself turned back into a real dog. This was a light bit of fantasy and thoroughly charming, though perhaps made more so by knowing that Tolkien wrote this for his son Michael after Michael lost his favorite toy dog on the beach while on holiday. It reminded me of all the bedtime stories my dad us ...more
Jason
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about anyone
Recommended to Jason by: Nobody
My father remarried a few months ago, and my stepmother still owns her own house. She's been cleaning it out for a while, and getting rid of odds and ends (mostly belonging to her ex-husband). She came across this and my father grabbed it to give to me since he knows I like Tolkien. I'm very glad he did. I had never heard of this book before, and was interested in checking it out.

Evidently Tolkien wrote it for, or maybe just told it to, his second son after said son had lost a toy dog on a beach
X
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien *can* write a story with a happy ending! It's a very charming tale, closer in style to "The Hobbit" than LOTR, but lighter and full of colloquialisms and word plays (many of which were lost on me!) that are rare in his other books. As he never prepared it to be published, there are a few loose ends and anomolies, but they are easily overlooked.
S.M. Carrière
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness this was an adorable read!

It is a book for very young children, so don't expect anything heavy and involved - I finished the book in two hours (an hour a sitting).

That said, one of the things I really, really, really love about Tolkien is that he doesn't pander to his audience. There are words and puns, usages and phrases that one would think that you would have to be older to understand and appreciate. Tolkien, however, does not ever so insult his audience. His complicated words
Bekah
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I NOT give this five stars? It was just too funny and adorable. Is it the best thing ever written? Certainly not. It's not even the best thing Tolkien ever wrote. But it is a really quirky story about magic and mischief and a lost dog. It doesn't hurt that the story was written as a way to cheer up Tolkien's son Michael when he lost a toy dog on a trip to the seaside. Just a short children's fantasy book, that would no doubt be a classic if it were not so overlooked and forgotten.
E.F.B.
This was just so cute, sweet, and adorable! Very simple seeing how it was written for children, but I love a simple, enjoyable read now and then that I don't have to think too hard about, and this fit the bill perfectly. I recommend it to anyone who thinks a story about a dog who gets turned into a toy after biting a wizard's pants, and then goes on adventures everywhere from the moon to the ocean, sounds fun.
Silvana
My first Tolkien after a decade, maybe. Nice, fluffy and heartwarming story. Since he wrote this before The Hobbit, there were many proto-LOTR characters in it. I had fun trying to draw parallels.
Kimberley doruyter
cute sweet story to read to your kids before bedtime.
Alex Sarll
A tale Tolkien told his children in the (last) twenties, which I've been reading on and off for a while, but which can't help becoming more poignant in light of Christopher's death - I'm reminded of that poet, possibly Brendan Behan? Who talks about his ghost "playing through railings with children, whose children have long since died". It has something of that same winter cosiness as the Moomin books, and the sand-wizard Psamathos the Psamathist owes a clear debt to Nesbit, but for the most par ...more
Olivia
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
I didn't like this that much, personally, but it was clever. :)
Amy | littledevonnook
My overall thoughts:

1. This book follows the tale of a dog named Rover who incurs the wrath of a wizard and gets shrunk down to a tiny size. We follow him on his mission to find the wizard so he can be returned to his original size. Whilst on this quest he ventures to the moon and down to the depths of the ocean, all the while making friends and discovering things he didn't know about himself.

2. I love J.R.R. Tolkien and think this is one of the quaintest little reads I have read in a long time!
SyaSya Syed Nasir
It was not good but..not that bad. However, I didn't enjoy the story much. Maybe suitable for kids? I don't know. Can't blame me since this is my first time trying classic genre.
Chloe
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a charming, dream-like children's tale with fantasy and mythology and Tolkien's distinctive voice weaved nicely into it.
Brandon Miller
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Don't you ever let anyone tell you that all lost dog stories are the same.
Ever.

As a fledgling reader, I enjoyed Lassie Come Home (though it took me about a year and a half to finish.) Somehow, somewhere, the lost dog story just appealed to me. I read more Lassie books when I was young than I would care to admit, and a number of other animal stories.
None of them were like this.
None of them involved wizards or trips to the dark side of the moon or the PAM.
None of them were as good as this.

Roverand
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
As a huge fan of Tolkien and all his works, I'm surprised that I've only decided to read Roverandom now. The book is beautiful - if you're a fan of 'The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairlyand in a Ship of her Own Making' or even Alice in Wonderland, I'd recommend this book. It's unlike Tolkien's Middle-earth, to which everyone is acquainted.

Aimed at children, but definitely worth reading at any age, Roverandom is the tale of a little dog, Rover, who gets turned into a toy after meddling in the affa
Jenny
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book but not my favorite of Tolkien's. I couldn't help but compare to it other books that a famous author father wrote for his children about mystical lands and containing elegant wordplay: Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie, which are much more entertaining and skillful. However, I'm a Tolkien fan, and I enjoyed this book. It's not up to the level of The Hobbit for me, which I've read about seven times--I would never reread Roverandom--b ...more
Christine
So what to say about this?

First, honestly, if you are going to have notes in the back of the book, could you please (with a cherry on top) let the reader know when there is a note? Just saying.

This is not as good as LOTR or the Hobbit,yet a reader can see the beginnings of both in this story. It is hard not to see figure of Gandalf and even Biblo in this short story about a dog. It isn't, I think, as child friendly to outloud reading as the Hobbit. It lacks that later book's charm.
Shadowdenizen
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tolkien-lotr
3.5 stars, rounded down. Cute and readable, but a mere trifle in Tolkien's pantheon. I know it was intended as a child's fairy tale, but it nonetheless just feels lacking to me, given that it was written by an master of fantasy fiction.
Alen
Had to read this for a presentation, which I'm doing this week. As much as it shames me to admit, this was my very first J.R.R.Tolkien book. Obviously I know The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies, I'm in love with them, and I will hopefully read the books soon. I am thinking about writing an essay on The Hobbit.

Roverandom is a quick entertaining read, it is not, however, very memorable. I think the story behind this book is way more interesting, if I'm allowed so to say. This book is actually
Hannah
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really sweet little book that Tolkien wrote for his son about a puppy who bit the wrong wizard's trousers and became a toy by way of enchantment. He makes friends and travels to fascinating places before finding the wizard again and asking to be changed back to how he was before. This is a great book for children and adults alike!
Ellen Trautner
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien
A great find! Tolkien wrote this as a story for his children when his second son lost his toy dog at the seashore. Tolkien made up a story about a toy dog getting cursed by a grumpy wizard, only to be helped by a sand sorcerer, and sent on all these adventures, including visiting the Man on the Moon and his moon-dog, and then visiting the Mer-king under the sea and his mer-dog. Eventually, Rover (or Roverandom as he was called by then) managed to make it back to land and met the grumpy wizard ag ...more
Wendy
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable, fun little story that Tolkien wrote for his son.
Very fun to read and the ending is fitting. Definitely give this a chance, especially when looking for a bedtime story for your children.
Marina Balinska
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice combination of classic Tolkien creativity and a touch of humor. This was very enjoyable read.
Elsie Stoltzfus
This is such a fun story! I can't believe that I hadn't read it before now. It is truly a delight to read!
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Roverandom [Jul 25, 2018] 26 54 Jul 31, 2018 06:39PM
TwitBookClub: May 2016 - 'Roverandom' by JRR Tolkien 1 2 Apr 03, 2016 09:30AM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Roverandom 4 81 Dec 28, 2015 08:56PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 2 13 Feb 13, 2015 10:20AM
Silver Stag Book ...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 1 5 Jan 27, 2014 07:38PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Group Read for April-July 2013: Roverandom 6 38 Apr 26, 2013 01:37AM

• Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo
  • Lyon’da Düğün
  • A Tolkien Bestiary
  • Barber Shop Chronicles
  • Zacharius Usta
  • Begin (The Growly Trilogy, #1)
  • Poppy and Ereth
  • Tre racconti
  • Love of Life and Other Stories
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Bir Kuzey Macerası
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • Definitely Maybe
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English