Start by marking “There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight” as Want to Read:
There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight

There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight

(There Was an Old . . .)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  673 ratings  ·  152 reviews
We all know that “there was an old lady” who swallowed lots of things. Now meet the old dragon who swallows pretty much an entire kingdom! Will he ever learn a little moderation?! This rollicking rhyme is full to bursting with sight gags, silly characters, and plenty of burps! Parents and kids alike will delight in Ben Mantle’s precisely funny illustrations and in Penny Pa ...more
Published August 4th 2015 by Random House Books for Young Readers

really liked it 4.00  ·

Carrie Charley Brown
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, cumulative
Oh, that dragon! He has quite a BIG appetite in this fractured retelling of the familiar classic, I KNOW AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY. With a dash of pepper and a HUGE dose of humor in both illustration and text, this version will leave kids begging for the retell. Children will likely read/retell this one on their own, as well. Rhyme and repetition provide for a great independent hold on reading. Don't be surprised to find yourself wanting to know if the steed is ever silenced and exactly wh ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis- In a land, far far away, dragons do exist. And one kingdom has a horrible old dragon living in it. A HUNGRY horrible old dragon. And as a knight and his faithful steed go to face the dragon, they find out he’s not so polite either.

What I Thought- This is a great parody of the traditional “There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly”. Ms. Klostermann has written a funny, well-rhymed story that makes sense. Kids learn a little about medieval life and they will enjoy a good story while lear
Kirjapallo
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, runot
I don't know, I just didn't quite get all the parts... "He swallowed the castle to hold the lady (?), he swallowed the lady to rule the cook (?), he swallowed the cook to fatten the squire (?)" etc. Also, in one picture the dragon looks exactly like he's going to poop - or at least fart - even though he's "just" going to burp. ;) ...And the knight was the only one who didn't get out in the end... :'/
Rebecca Colby
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My kids and I love this book! It's far more fun than the original rhyme it's based on, and the verse gallops along in perfect rhythm. The vivid and humorous illustrations are well-matched to the rollicking text and help add to the laughs. It's definitely a book that will keep the whole family amused!
Robin Newman
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Definitely!
Warning: If you read this book be ready to giggle. A LOT! It's a super-fun twist on the tale of the old lady who swallowed the fly that's sure to be a winner with kids and adults. And who doesn't love reading about a super-rude dragon who's lost his manners?
Matthew
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to this book, my kids have added the word 'polite' to their vocabulary and use it constantly. They first thought that word sounded funny. After telling them what it meant, the continue to laugh using the word but they use it correctly in a sentence.

They rhymes flowed a little easier for me after the second read through the book. I enjoyed the pictures and thought the outcome was creative. I did not mind reading this book to the kids over ten times in the few weeks we had checked it out fr
SarahEmily1990
Slightly clumsy rhymes in places, however I like the sections that recall the list of everything that the dragon has swallowed - could lends itself nicely to recall exercises for children
Michelle
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm... plump... googly-eyed... this fellow seems harmless enough. I'm quite fond of the polka-dotted neckerchief he's sporting. Shall we give him a chance? It's not like he can swallow an entire kingdom, right?

Think again!

This gorbellied, hook-nosed scoundrel is NOT to be trusted. Oh, he may look puppy-faced, but just like that old, witless woman who swallowed a fly, this cold-blooded hornbeast hath no clue about good manners. He gorges himself silly – bloatage maximus – until... well... you'l
Tyneisha
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway and it arrived today so I read it to my daughter immediately as she didn't want to wait until bedtime! The first thing that caught my attention was the attention to detail in the illustrations- it is a very nice book to look at; bright colors and strong print. We loved the little rhymes- some of the words were a bit advanced for a 3 year old (perchance? in kids book?) but I understand it had to rhyme. Overall my daughter loved it and understood it. ...more
Barbara
In the same vein as "There was an old lady who swallowed..." this funny picture book written in rhyming text features a very hungry dragon. The dragon snatches up a knight, followed by his horse, and then just keeps on swallowing things. Who knows what might have happened had he not become too bloated by swallowing a moat? One good burp rids him of all that he's consumed, except the knight, which sets up the final lines in the book perfectly. This is great fun to read alone or to share with some ...more
Juliana Lee
Ariel Cummins
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cumulative rhymes are not my absolute favorite picture-book genre, but I thought this particular book was quite adorable.

The bright, colorful illustrations match the cheeky text perfectly, and the rhyme is fractured just the right amount. It's still recognizable as the traditional old-lady-who-swallowed-some-stuff frame, but it's got enough humor to make it seem fresh.

This would be a great addition to a fairy tale, dragon, or royal storytime for preschoolers!
Kristin
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Klostermann shines in her debut, a brilliant twist on the classic There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - but this time with more Knights! Squires! And Dragons! Kids will gobble up this spunky tale of an impolite dragon who eats and eats. Coupled with Mantle's vibrant illustrations and dashes of humor (the napkin around dragon's neck, his picking his teeth with the knight's sword), this will be a sure-fire hit at story time. And there's nothing shady or impolite about that.
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
I absolutely loathe There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. (Because ew, flies?) To this day, I cannot bear listening to Judy Collins because she conjures up memories of her musical rendition of this oft-hailed childhood classic. That being said, some of the spin-off swallow books are humorous and clever. This dragon/knight one is decent but not a personal favorite. Would make for a good read-aloud and will likely be enjoyed by far less picky children than I.
Rachel Watkins
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful new rendition of THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY. This new version is adorable as it goes, "There was an old dragon who swallowed the Knight. I don't know why he swallowed the knight. It's not polite!" With great vocabulary such as steed, squire, savory, castle, tassel, and moat, this is the perfect book for those obsessed with all things medieval.
Mompop
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spoiler Alert:

Be prepared for a LOT of burping noises after sharing this book as a read-aloud.

make your own story puppets from Random House at http://www.randomhousekids.com/media/...

Wendy Kuzma
The format of this book is modeled after There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly. Rhythmical and repetitive text with humor as well would make this a great lit lunch read aloud for early to mid elementary-aged students.
Anne
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun take on the old "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" song. This should appeal to those who love all things princessy or all things relating to dragons and knights. I'd better brush up on my singing for storytime!
Sandy Brehl
Fun verse with suitably comic illustrations. A lively and distinct twist on the "swallowed the fly" rhyme.
Beth Vredenburg
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do we really need another version of there was an old lady who swallowed a fly? -yes!!! Rhyme and Rhythm are just right for read aloud and storytime!!!!
Read  Ribbet
A fun retelling of the Old Lady tale leading to a nice predictable cumulative tale to add to your read to self and someone collections.
Linda Atkinson
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What fun!
Brindi Michele
this is probably one of my favorite adaptations of the classic picture book. great illustrations.
paula
Fun update on the classic song - exceptional fun and colorful illustrations.
:Donna Marie
THERE WAS AN OLD DRAGON WHO SWALLOWED A KNIGHT A wonderfully entertaining, circular story that just BEGS to be read aloud! :D Nice going, Penny Parker Klostermann!
Laurie Arnez
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this rendition! Great vocabulary and illustrations. This would make an excellent read aloud.
Nicole
Would make a great flannel!
Mary Lee
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So. Much. Fun. I'm adding this to my "Old Lady Who Swallowed a..." collection. Can't wait to share with kids!
Romelle
Loved this new spin on a classic. The medieval theme is so much fun.
Sami
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This was a super cute book! It was just like "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" but medieval and I loved it :)
  • Ninja Bunny
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • The Storybook Knight
  • Poem-Mobiles: Crazy Car Poems
  • Again!
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • Duncan, the Story Dragon
  • Fire Engine No. 9
  • Old MacDonald Had a Dragon
  • The Monstore
  • Spots in a Box
Penny Parker Klostermann writes picture books and poetry for children. Her first book, THERE WAS AN OLD DRAGON WHO SWALLOWED A KNIGHT, was published in 2015. Her next book, A COOKED-UP FAIRY TALE, will be out in 2017.

Penny taught school for 26 years before she began writing. She loves all kinds of books, but especially loves very silly picture books that make her laugh. After all, laughter really

There Was an Old . . . (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • There Was an Old Mermaid Who Swallowed a Shark!
  • There Was an Old Pirate Who Swallowed a Map!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (Classic Books)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie