Start by marking “There Will Be Phlogiston (Prosperity, #5)” as Want to Read:
There Will Be Phlogiston (Prosperity, #5)

There Will Be Phlogiston

(Prosperity #5)

An instructive story in which vice receives its just reward.

Inspired by true and scandalous tales of the Gaslight aristocracy, we present the most moral and improving tale of Lady Rosamond Wolfram.

Weep, reader, for the plight of our heroine as she descends into piteous ruin in the clutches of the notorious Phlogiston Baron, Anstruther Jones. Witness the horrors of feminine
ebook, 1 edition, 150 pages
Published December 8th 2014 by Riptide Publishing (first published December 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about There Will Be Phlogiston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Will Be Phlogiston

Julio Genao
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
reading this madness made me lose my shit
K.J. Charles
So this is:

- beautifully written
- free
- 40K words of free
- no, really, free
- featuring a really difficult heroine, who responds to being unloved by being unlovely, a horribly closeted aristocrat who can't accept who he is, and the totally irresistible poor boy turned phlogiston baron Anstruther Jones who gets them both out of their horribly constrained existences.
- part of the amazing Prosperity series, but not written in thieves cant if that was putting you off Prosperity, which it shouldn't
-m
Mel

The secret to happiness, she would say, sipping her tea delicately, is a generous-hearted, sexually amphibious man who desires you, and a confirmed sodomite who admires your hair.

The secret to happiness, I would say, is reading a free stand-alone novelette, set in the same universe as your favourite book of all times.
(Come to think of it, we can scratch the free, because I would pay a lot of money to read a story by Alexis.)

I could say a lot of things to try to convince you to read this book. I
Karen Wellsbury
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, what a jolly romp.

As a rule I'm not a fan of menage, but I'm right fond of Alexis Hall, and the lovely people I read this with. I have to say it was lovely.

What I particularly liked was the 'feel' of Phlo, the Victorian northern industrial revolution backdrop, overlaid with the terrifically mannered social structure; where girls 'come out' for the season and the nouveau riche are looked down upon by the gentry. All very traditional so far.

Into this comes Jones, the epitome of the new rich,
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
This story is full of love. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but that's the truth. And it is beautiful. Reading it made me feel good. It broke my heart too, but it was necessary.

You have this wonderful, huge, unapologetic rich commoner who has so much to give, you end up sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for that moment when he gets what he deserves. And he deserves a lot.

Then you have your lovely, beautiful, scared noble who has to learn a couple of things before the author lets him ha
Kaje Harper
This is a lovely and free entry in the series. Just be aware that the Riptide edition I had was half story, but fully half at the end was excerpts from other stories in the series (most of which come before this). That foreknowledge will avoid the moment of deep disappointment as you hit the end of the actual story, with half the volume yet to go.

This is about three main characters, in a menage of sorts - first, our heroine, Lady Rosamond Wolfram, whose practical nature and inquiring spirit are
Vanessa North
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another lovely read from Alexis Hall. Thank you, Alexis, for going against the grain and writing an M/M/F. I really enjoyed this triad, and the relationship they formed, and how each character found what they needed in the others. also the mechanical horse was pretty cool. :)

Ellie
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buddy read with Kat as soon as we get our greedy hands on this one :)

Review mostly likely to come tomorrow.

Hmm, it's seems tomorrow was a long time ago. I somehow forgot the write my review of this.

I'm not a big fan of menage stories, especially in contemporary romance mostly beacuse I'm not convinced how they would work in real life.
I read this one because it's by Alexis Hall and because many things that bother me in contemporary romance work really well in a paranormal/stemapunk setting.

It
Maya
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steampunk

I had so much fun reading this.

Yes, there are heartbreaking moments as this is the story of three people in search of love in what seems to be an impossible situation, but, as usual, Alexis Hall managed to insert clever humour when most needed.

A lot of challenges for the three characters - fear and shame to overcome, society expectations to throw away, violence ... I won’t forget many of the scenes for a long time. Especially the one in the circus – it was breathtaking.

I loved Jones and Lord M
Izzy
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For those already acquainted with Alexis Hall's steampunk novel, 'Prosperity' I apologise for going over facts you are already aware of. However, I wish to encourage others to enjoy the pleasure of the steampunk world of Gaslight.

This pseudo Victorian, Northern English town is founded on the money from mining the mysterious energy source Phlogiston, which is mined in the clouds aboard flying ships, and is the setting for 'There will be Phlogiston'. It is a world of manners, social conformity an
Sofia
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it

When I received this story, I got curious and decide just to read the first page even though I have not yet read Prosperity and then I read some more and then I continued.

The mixture of steampunk and historical romance works plus the characters are marvellously drawn - I wanted to laugh and I wanted to cry because the writing is easy and some situations may be funny but underneath there is truths most of us will recognise. It is light and deep at the same time.

I enjoyed the first three
Adam
I can't remember when I last read a romance with a female love interest. And, if I'm not mistaken, this is my first MMF. I liked it a lot!

description

The book is told from the POVs of three well-rounded and equally interesting characters:
Anstruther Jones, the Plogiston Baron
Lady Rosamond Wolfram
and Arcadius, Lord Mercury

I'd say this is a tale of two romances and a friendship, not a bisexual romance.

Romance #1 - Jones and Arkady

Before Rosamond enters the picture, Jones and Arkady go from associates, to frien
Amy Cousins
I forgot to write a review! And now I'm behind on a ms., so I'm just copying what I posted on FB when I first read this book. (Note: I've now read TWBP at least six times, so that should tell you something.)

"YOU MUST GO READ THIS BOOK NOW. It is the platonic fucking ideal of a romance, while being full of all kinds of trope subversions. I want to sit still and read it over and over again, which I could do by rereading my highlights alone, since they cover 90% of the book. The writing is gorgeous
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
BJ and I did a buddy review - five fookin' stars from both of us on Prism Book Alliance, YO

Here be my half o the equation:

Lord Mercury – Arkady if you’re Jones, apparently – doesn’t seem to have any effective defenses against said Jones and his unrelenting natural state of self-acceptance, and everything else Jones has that the Lord wishes he could be, and share.

I had the feeling of dancing, gliding along as I encountered and welcomed Hall’s words. He’s got this way of saying something extreme
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
I’ve updated my review of this beloved book, based on a recent re-read. Same rating, just a few new thoughts :-)

2nd read : Dec. 5-9, 2016:

*happy, happy sigh* I am not normally a re-reader of books, no matter how much I love them. I make an exception for Alexis Hall though. And this was just as beautiful in every way as it was the first time.

In re-reading this, I was struck anew, as I am every time, by the distinctive way he writes scenes of physical intimacy. Intimacy being the key word, becau
Teri
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Okay Mel, I get it. I totally see why you are in love with this author. This was some truly fantastic writing. Eloquent. Deep. Honest. Loved it. The genre isn't what I normally go for. This whole thing of a woman should be this, men should be this and "societal rules" makes me want to vomit, but this was well done and really illustrated all the reasons and attitudes that contribute to my dislike of this particular kind of society. It took me a bit to get into Ros, I was just not really feeling t ...more
Lennan Adams
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mmf, favorites, steampunk
This short story/novella/whatever it is? is so beautiful. Oh my gosh. I mean everything that Alexis writes is gorgeous, of course, but this one is still bouncing around my brain weeks later (which is unusual!) It is weird and lovely and SO romantic and sweet. Just gorgeous. Read it! It's free at Riptide http://riptidepublishing.com/titles/t... and you don't have to have read the rest of the Prosperity Series first (I haven't).
Lotta
This review is a bit spoilery, don't know how to get it tagged right, but be adviced, if you haven't read the book.

This was an amazing book this time too. I didn't cry as much, but I laughed much more, and found some amazing quotes, mainly by Rosamund. She's so prim and proper on the outside ("Should there be some fashion of reciprocity?"), so inquisitive and open minded under the surface - and so alone. She's selfish and unpleasant, but I can totally get why. Jones is the strong centre, there t
Kimber Vale
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scarlett O'Hara, Rhett Butler, and Ashley Wilkes all reside in the same steampunk town and decide they can't decide, and so embark on a three way love affair in order that I should buy the first book in this series. Well played, Alexis Hall, but joke's on you: I was going to buy it anyway. Na na na-na na.
Julia ♥Duncan♥
This was really, really fricking good! I kinda loved it, it was soo, sooo fun to read. The characters were amazing, the writing was great, it was super funny, and it had absolutely incredible feels. Also, a killer mechanical horse! I mean really, what more can you want from a book?
Maarja
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great as we're used to from Alexis Hall! If there's any complaint at all, it's that this was too short - I was a bit disappointed when it ended near the 50% mark on my kindle. Still, since it's free and everything there is is wonderful - I loved both the writing and the story itself -, I really shouldn't complain. :)
Susinok
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt, mmf, romance, steampunk
I loved this story! I have a huge book hangover since I want to read more NAO but have to wait until January for the anthology to come out... Rosamond and Mercy were such victims of their time. I really felt bad for them both. Loved Anstruther Jones. How can you not with a name like that? :)
Sandra
Nov 25, 2014 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Sandra by: Julio Genao
FREE at Riptide Publishing on pre-order and available for download on Dec 6th!
Jen
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Glorious!!!
One day, Alexis Hall may write a book I don't immediately fall in love with.
Today, is not that day and this is not that book!
Jax
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
This one ripped my heart to shreds. Then healed it again.
Katie
We're told in the title that there would be phlogiston.

I'm here to answer your burning question: Was there phlogiston?

Before I answer, there will be a lesson.

Ready?

Pay attention.

steampunk | ˈstēmˌpəNGk | noun
a genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology

Victorian | vikˈtôrēən | adjective
of or relating to the attitudes and values of the Victorian period, regarded as characterized especially by prudishness and a high moral tone

ménage à
Sadie Forsythe
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Like with the end of Liberty, I find myself torn between absolutely loving this and ending on a disappointed note. I'll start with the disappointment, since it's pretty cut and dry.

This book is listed as 150/262 pages long (depending on if you looks at the ebook or Kindle edition), but it's literally half that long. At exactly 50%, the story ends and the rest is all sneak peaks of the other stories in the series. I was really bummed too, because I had been excited about starting the next chapter
Tami
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not really my cup of tea. So the romantic hero here is bi-sexual. Which is not a problem.
But this turns out to be a menage with a guy and a girl.

Both are uninteresting.

I didn't get this declamatory love stuff - if it would have been just the two guys it might have worked better. But adding a third?

It felt rushed and without depth.

Gillian
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alexis Hall's books never fail to impress, delight and entertain me and this one was no exception. The writing is smart and beautiful and the story is gorgeous. If you're looking for a foray into steampunk, you couldn't start anywhere better than with this book. 5 stars
Buddy read with Kat, Karen and Mel 48 15 Dec 10, 2014 07:15PM
  • Hammer and Bone
  • Mark of the Gladiator (Warriors of Rome, #4)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • The Bells of Times Square
  • Dark Soul Vol. 5 (Dark Soul, #5)
  • Long the Mile
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • The Crimson Outlaw
  • Second Helpings
  • Lost and Found
  • On the Clock (Market Garden, #8)
  • Peripheral People (Ylendrian Empire, #4)
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Starving Years
  • Release (Davlova, #1)
  • Strain (Strain, #1)
  • Sacrati
  • Tempest (Playing the Fool, #3)
Alexis Hall was born in the early 1980s and still thinks the 21st century is the future. To this day, he feels cheated that he lived through a fin de siècle but inexplicably failed to drink a single glass of absinthe, dance with a single courtesan, or stay in a single garret. He did the Oxbridge thing sometime in the 2000s and failed to learn anything of substance. He has had many jobs, including ...more

Prosperity (7 books)
  • Prosperity (Prosperity, #1)
  • Shackles (Prosperity, #2)
  • Squamous with a Chance of Rain (Prosperity, #3)
  • Cloudy Climes and Starless Skies (Prosperity, #4)
  • Liberty (Prosperity, #6)
  • Liberty and Other Stories (Prosperity, #2-4, 6)