Start by marking “The Last Moriarty” as Want to Read:
The Last Moriarty

The Last Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,447 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
A lovely young American actress from the D'Oyly Carte Opera Troupe comes to 221B Baker Street on a cold November morning, desperately seeking assistance from Sherlock Holmes. Inexplicably, Holmes agrees to help, even though the Prime Minister of England and his cabinet need Holmes to solve a murder case that could threaten a high-stakes meeting with John D. Rockefeller and ...more
Published May 19th 2015 by Thomas & Mercer (first published April 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Moriarty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Moriarty

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody!
Shelves: read-2015
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are enlisted by the Prime Minister to solve the murder of John D. Rockefellers security agent before the incident can derail an upcoming British-American summit. At the same time, a young woman contacts Holmes to help her find her parents.

I was quite looking forward to reading this book after seeing it on Amazon and was happy when I saw it on NetGalley. Now I'm glad that I didn't buy it since it was so predictable that it was hard to enjoy reading the book. Predict
Bandit
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly enjoyable pastiche. One might wish for slightly more deductions that made the man so famous and slightly less melodrama, but alas, there it is. Plenty of twists and turns and some pretty clever uses of real historical figures and events, as the famed detective uses his inimitable mind to prevent another November 5th from occurring, all while navigating some...well some family drama. Interesting spin on the character's history and, of course, left sequel ready. Fun quick read.
Fred Hughes
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any time a Moriarty is involved you know Sherlock is going to have his hands full. Add in a top secret government meeting between the PM and several american billionaires and you have a recipe for some evil to pop up.

Some plot twists and revelations that Sherlock fans will love

Recommmended
M.R. Graham
Three and a half stars, for me.

The Premise:
A meeting between captains of industry is threatened. Men connected with the upcoming meeting keep turning up dead, and all signs indicate that a criminal organization on par with the defunct Moriarty gang is responsible. Possibly even the successor of the Moriarty gang, as Colonel Sebastian Moran has escaped from prison, and he had help.
Into the mix is thrown a young actress, Lucy James, whose ties to this shadowy organization grow ever more perplexing
Kayla West
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay...so I have to admit that there was a teensy tiny part of me that only bought this book because of my slight obsession with the show Sherlock. I have been dying to find out who is in fact going to be coming back in Moriarty's place in this fourth and possibly final season of the show (hopefully a woman, because there are not enough crazy women on that show), and so I thought this book, due to its title, might give me some sort of clue. Admittedly, it gave me no ideas, but I was really glad ...more
Jacob Thompson
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellently paced with enough action to support the detailed moments of sleuthing. I particularly enjoyed the added female companions to Sherlock's roster.
Kim Taylor
I love the original Sherlock Holmes stories and books, and I enjoy many pastiches. This one was...okay. It kept my attention enough to finish the story, but it only earned 2.5 stars (rounded to 3).

A brief synopsis: this story takes place after Holmes' return to London after Reichenbach Falls, but before Watson writes "The Adventure of the Empty House", so that the general public isn't aware that Holmes is not dead. In advance of a meeting between the British government and American oil tycoons (
Argum
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting new series in the Sherlock Holmes universe. It is in the period between Sherlock's death at the falls, but before his Return. He is still working cases for select people like Her Majesty's government. A big hush hush meeting between heavyweight American industrialists including Mr Rockefeller is scheduled to occur with British government to do with major naval advancements. Germany or someone else seems to be behind some major threats. Something strange is happening and it may inv ...more
Bethany Swafford
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
When the Prime Minister and his cabinet requires Holmes to solve a murder involving John D. Rockefeller and J.P Morgan, the great detective obliges, intrigued by the details of the case. A young actress brings new light onto the case, and changes everything.

As far as pastiches go, this is done very well. Told from the point of view of Dr. Watson, it's very similar to Conan Doyle's voice, which is not easy to do. The new characters are interesting enough in their own way.

The mystery was a little
Stephanie Zuiderweg
Enjoyable, clever, though not error free

While familiar with Sherlock Holmes, I haven't read many of the original Conan Doyle stories, and certainly not recently, so I can't attest to how accurately the style was emulated. However, the feel seemed accurate (and I suspect probably actually better written).
There are many historical figures that appear to be well researched and emulated, though again I can't attest to that. But I found the characters interesting and learned a few things I didn't kno
Katherine
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome Sherlock imagining!

If you are a Sherlock fan, especially one who enjoys the addition of a female point of view then this is for you. This takes place and is narrated by Watson (of course!) several years after the events of The Final Problem (Doyle's final Sherlock story). But it goes off in a completely different direction that is delightful. No spoilers will be revealed here but try this and see if you also think it is an enjoyable read. I will start the next book in the series
M. White
Interesting variation on the Holmes legend

This story combines a cleverly plotted, fairly typical Holmes and Watson mystery with some startling revelations about the youthful years of both Holmes and Moriarty and the introduction of a beautiful young lady who turns out to be Sherlock's daughter. The book reminds me a lot of Laurie R. King's series featuring young Mary Russell who becomes Holmes's wife.
Susan
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmes
1895 and although Holmes has been asked to aid the Prime Minister of Britain in solving a murder that could threaten a meeting with some very influential Americans he is approached by actress Lucy James to find out her true parentage.
Though not true to canon as Holmes does seem to have a past I still enjoyed the story and liked the characters.
Audrey
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. I did find the British government men and police to be complete morons as portrayed in this book. Also, Dr. Watson cannot count, and the character of Sherlock Holmes seemed to at times be acting against his own nature. Other than that, the story was amusing enough.
Robert Runyon
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A freaking great read!!

A well written seat of the pants thriller. If you think you know Mr. Holmes...Think again. Brings Sherlock back with an admirable cast of characters.
Annie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has the feel of a Sherlock Holmes story. A small portion is a little contrived to give the mystery some twists and turns.
Boni Gellis
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I've read a lot of the Sherlock Holmes books and this one was an interesting deviation. Showed Sherlock had a personable side.
Steven Sabacky
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Good spin on Sherlock genre. Will read more in the series. Hope they are all as good as this one.
LindaCarol Ertle
AWESOME!!!!

I could not put this down!! I love Sherlock and the Doc. so of course I got this one!! Very, VERY well written.
Jool
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this! Written very well in the superb fashion of original Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.
Kelly
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have to say, I couldn't get through this one even though I normally love Sherlock Holmes stories. The narrative is just bone dry. My attention kept wandering in search of an interesting character...
Penny Green
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A New Take on Holmes

Offers an innovative take on Sherlock Holmes and extends the genre with rich possibilities. Reads like a Conan Doyle mystery. Enjoyable read.
Ronie Huff
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written

Liked this book a lot a good read.😀 for people who like Holmes!
Will read another of Charles Veley books.
Srhuff

Tammy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed

I love anything to do with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. This book did not disappoint. Great reading. I throughly enjoyed it.
Liberty Moore
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I've always loved Sherlock Holmes. This story kept with the true nature of the old Sherlock as Sir Arthur Doyle would have appreciated.
JOHN W SLAUGHTER
Great new twists

A quick exciting read with twists and turns. I recommend this book to all mystery lovers. Adding to Holmes’ interesting life stories.
Jerry King
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2014
Kathryn Baron
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I love Sherlock Homes. That said, most of the stories written in homage are dreadfull. Happily that is not the case here. It is not great, but perfectly readable.
Anthony Ragan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories since I was in junior high, when I used to watch the old Basil Rathbone movies on Sunday afternoons. One year around 8th or 9th grade, someone bought me a volume of the complete stories for my birthday, which I devoured over the course of the summer. (“The Adventure of the Second Stain” being a favorite. ) I can truthfully say they've had an influence on my life, since, thanks to the “malign” influence of Rathbone and Holmes' creator Arthur Conan Do ...more
  • The Death and Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crack in the Lens
  • The Secret Journal of Dr Watson
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Albino's Treasure
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Detective and The Woman: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Case of The Edinburgh Haunting
  • The Deadwood Stage (Sherlock Holmes & Young Winston #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Duel with the Devil
  • City of Ghosts (A Mystery in Vienna #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Boulevard Assassin
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Why Kill A Countess? (Harriet Honeywood Mystery #2)
  • The Secret Archives of Sherlock Holmes
  • Safety Valve (Burnside Series # 4)
Charles Veley has loved Sherlock Holmes since boyhood. During one year, he read the entire canon to his then-ten-year-old daughter at evening story time. He is also a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan, and wrote "The Pirates of Finance," a new musical in the G&S tradition that won an award at the New York Musical Theatre Festival in 2013. Other than "The Last Moriarty," all the books on his Amazon ...more
More about Charles Veley

Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery (7 books)
  • The Wilhelm Conspiracy (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #2)
  • Remember, Remember (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mysteries #3)
  • The Crown Jewel Mystery (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #4)
  • The Jubilee Problem: A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery (The Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mysteries Book 5)
  • Death at the Diogenes Club (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #6)
  • The Return of the Ripper (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)