Start by marking “Letters to a Young Poet” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  43,913 ratings  ·  3,163 reviews
When a young student at a military school mails some of his poetry to the great poet Rainer Maria Rilke, seeking advice, he begins a series of correspondence in which Rilke expresses his deepest insights into the artist’s relationship with life, and the inner needs of the individual person growing towards maturity.

Written in Rilke’s early, struggling years, Letters to a
Published September 7th 2014 by Hythloday Press (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Young Poet, please sign up.
Rachel I read somewhere that the original publication included a sonnet Kappus wrote, but I haven't been able to find anything else... he wrote other works,…moreI read somewhere that the original publication included a sonnet Kappus wrote, but I haven't been able to find anything else... he wrote other works, but I don't think any of his letters have been published :/(less)
Olivia Although I don't speak German, I found the translation by Stephen Mitchell to be quite good. I felt I was able to clearly understand the author's…moreAlthough I don't speak German, I found the translation by Stephen Mitchell to be quite good. I felt I was able to clearly understand the author's intentions. Besides, something always gets lost in translation. (less)

·  43,913 ratings  ·  3,163 reviews

Start your review of Letters to a Young Poet
s.penkevich
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who desires to write
Recommended to s.penkevich by: Rakhi Dalal
Shelves: the_write_mind
Go into yourself and see how deep the place is from which your life flows.

Rainer Maria Rilke puts forth the question ‘must I write?’ in these letters from the great poet to the unknown Mr. Kappus. ‘Dig into yourself for a deep answer,’ he tells the young poet, ‘and if this answer rights out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple “I must”, then build your life in accordance with this necessity.Letters To A Young Poet, written between 1903-08, contains some of the
Jim Fonseca
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rilke (1875-1926) was a famous German poet, born in Prague. He traveled widely throughout Europe, married and had a daughter. A dozen years out of school, after Rilke had achieved some fame as a poet, a young man wrote to him asking for advice about life and poetry. Rilke wrote ten letters to him over five years. The young boy was romantic, frail and dreamy; a prisoner, so to speak, in a military boarding school where he was subject to strict discipline, bullying and humiliation. It was the same ...more
Gaurav
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in thoughts of Rilke, Anyone interested in knowing how to write with soul

Rainer Maria Rilke

'Letters to young poet', written by famed poet Rainer Maria Rilke, starts with a 'imaginary' poet Mr. Kappus seeking affirmation, from the great German poet, whether he should write ? The book continues with a series of letters which are generous answers, to the letters by'Young Worker', by Rilke, who was only 28 then, at length, and in great detail about what constitutes creativity and poetry, and how to channel the former into the latter. When you
Riku Sayuj
The last book for the year. The soothing, gentle, unimposing yet wise voice of Rilke - what better way to fold up one more chapter in life and open another, with hope for more suffering and joys in apt measure. This little book has been my companion for four years now, always half-finished, and it feels strange to finally remove the bookmark and to keep it aside.

Read it with a forgiving bend. Keep in mind that Rilke never wrote them with an intention to publish, it was mostly an attempt to
Seemita
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: restless minds seeking a permanent footing.
Dear Mr. Rilke,

Assuming it to be a frequent phenomenon with you, I partake in pleasure and liberty of appointing you the receiver of yet another letter, from a besotted admirer of your wisdom and expression.

You see I have always felt that the best stories are those that we wish turned true; stories that uplift us with their depths and spring us back to the surface to stay afloat; stories that carry our thoughts in their seams and weave the most warm blankets to protect us in the winters of life;
Fionnuala

Dear Mr Rilke,
How can I thank you enough for these marvelously heartfelt letters, full of inspiration, beauty and wisdom. They are a glorious gift, a gospel of wonderful words which I will follow all the days of my life.

Dear Reader,
If there is one thing I would say to you, it is to caution you against immoderation, against lavish and excessive language. When you write, try to say what you really feel and using the simplest language you know. Listen to the silence deep in your heart and begin
Elyse  Walters
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While reading “Ideas of Heaven: A Ring of Stories”,
by Joan Silber .... I found myself really enjoying the poetry - inserted - by Rainer Maria Rilke—relevant -powerful - truthful - beautiful- words of depth I connected with.

I wanted to know more about who Rilke was.
I found this book -a
compilation of 10 letters that Rilke wrote to a young poet named Franz Xaver. Xaver wanted to know if his work was good.
— Rilke letters are inspirational - filled with wisdom -( jewels to writers)- and beauty.
Manuel Antão
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, favorites
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Published 2016 (Portuguese translation and afterword by José Miranda Justo).

“Dieses vor allem: fragen Sie sich in der stillsten Stunde ihrer Nacht: ‘muss ich schreiben?’ Graben Sie in sich nach einer tiefen Antwort. Und wenn diese zustimmed lauten sollte, wenn Sie mit einem starken und einfachen ‘Ich muss’ dieser ernsten Frage begegnen dürfen, dann bauen Sie Ihr Leben nach dieser Notwendingkeit.”

This book has been my favourite book
AB
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to AB by: Mara Collins
In which Rainer Maria Rilke, both mercilessly and mercifully, bashes me over the head with a baseball bat from the other side of the Great Whatever.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Briefe an einen jungen Dichter = Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke
In 1903, a student at a military academy sent some of his verses to a well-known Austrian poet, requesting an assessment of their value. The older artist, Rainer Maria Rilke (1875–1926), replied to the novice in this series of letters — an amazing archive of remarkable insights into the ideas behind Rilke's greatest poetry. The ten letters reproduced here were written during an important stage in Rilke's artistic
Luís C.
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luís by: Gaurav
In Letters to a Young Poet, Rilke shows us, through a content of extreme sensitivity and acuity, the advice addressed to the young poet Franz Kappus who was hesitant to pursue his literary career. The beauty and truth contained in this correspondence that covered ten letters, between 1903 and 1908, made this work become known worldwide. Using its inherent simplicity, Rilke talks about solitude and what it holds of greatness and describes with immense wisdom facets of the inner life of the human ...more
فايز غازي Fayez Ghazi
- عشرة رسائل ارسلها "ريلكيه" الى صديقه "كابوس"، ينصحه فيها عن الشعر والادب والفن، بأسلوب متواضع ورقيق.

- الرسائل لطيفة (ستعيد ذكريات كثيرة لمن اعتاد كتابتها) وهذا النوع من المراسلات قد بدأ ينقرض اليوم ومعه تذهب احدى المشاعر الإنسانية الى اقبية النسيان!

- ريلكه لا يعظ في هذه الرسائل بل يحاول ان يترك "كابوس" على سجيته مع توسيع آفاقه واعطائه نصائح من تجربته الشخصية وقراءاته الذاتية.

- كتاب خفيف وبسيط ورقيق!

---
معظم الأحداث لا يمكن التعبير عنها بالكلمات، وتحدث في مكان لم تطأه يوماً كلمة
Michelle
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always underline in books, either for the wise quotes that teach or the pure beauty of the passage. About ten pages into this book, though, I gave up underlining as nearly every sentence was a combination of beauty and wisdom. These letters (to a young man he never even met!) are inspiring in their honesty, teaching to cherish your solitude, "to walk inside yourself and meet no one for hours... to be solitary as you were when you were a child, when the grownups walked around involved with ...more
فؤاد
همزمان با این کتاب، کتاب "ذن در هنر نویسندگی" ری بردبری رو خوندم، و حس کردم چقدر با هم تفاوت دارن این دو نفر، در عین این که هر دو جالبن. ریلکه خیلی آلمانی تره، عمیق و محزون و خیلی شبیه به شوپنهاور. در حالی که بردبری کاملاً آمریکاییه و پر شور و انرژی.
ریلکه مدام به فرو رفتن در خود امر می کنه، می گه شاعری یعنی خلوت گزیدن و قطع کردن ارتباط با آدم های دیگه، و وسیع تر کردن دنیای درونی، و باید سال ها تجربۀ درونی کرد تا شاید ده بیست شعر خوب سرود.
در مقابل بردبری معتقد به مدام کار کردن و کار کردنه، و می
Aubrey
Twelve years on and it will have been a ten
by ten span of time since you left, Rilke.
Left on high, left to below both word and
hope, hope, most of all hope. Your heart you gave,
and for that we love.

I'd like to rhyme in metered line along
the likes of you, but too long ago your
poetry graced my eyes. What lies left's a
feeling fit for tears and joy alone, and
somber light it is.

Your maudlin days do not astonish, for
many a kindred of mine has suffered
the same, and yet, goes on. I draw from each
going
Nada EL Shabrawy
قرأته مرات. ...more
Miltos S.
"Τα έργα τέχνης ζουν μέσα σε απέραντη μοναξιά, κι η κριτική είναι το χειρότερο μέσο για να τα ζυγώσεις."

Κάθε φορά που διαβάζω ένα βιβλίο σαν κι αυτό, συνειδητοποιώ πόσο μικροί και αδαής είμαστε σε σχέση με αυτό που ονομάζουμε ανθρώπινο πνεύμα. Σε τι βάθη και σε τι κορυφές έχει φτάσει η σκέψη των μεγάλων δασκάλων μας και πόσα πράγματα θα μπορούσαμε να διδαχτούμε από αυτούς.
Ούτε οχτώ ζωές δεν θα έφταναν για να διαβάσουμε όλα τα βιβλία, να ακούσουμε όλες τις απόψεις και να κάνουμε όλες τις σκέψεις
Owlseyes
Notes collected

Rilke, the lonely German-language poet, but not really a German, rather an exile for 10 years,...possessor of nothing, but his language, shows a young man how a "masterpiece of art" can be accomplished and last for long.

Paris 1903.

It appears that Rilke had been approached by a poet asking for a critical view of his output. Yet, Rilke's standing was not critical, at all; he rather preferred a hearty (almost paternal) reply. So he advised the young poet to look inside,
Perry
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Treasure Chest for Artists and Lovers of Art

I don't normally read a lot of poetry, but when considering this book a few years back, I'd read some of Rilke's poetry and the high praise I mention below. When I read this short book (80 pages) though, I had no idea what a true chest of treasures lies herein. I highlighted so much text and made so many notes, I noticed I left little text unscathed.

This book consists of ten letters written by Rainer Maria Rilke to a younger poet. It, and
Constantina Maud
I could just paste here all the passages I highlighted while reading this last month during my breaks from writing--but that would mean pasting practically the entire book.
Because it is that good.
You don't have to be a writer to truly enjoy this heartwarming read. Through this correspondence revolving around the writing craft, Rilke gives us glimpses into his general worldview and way of life convictions. His insight and existential approach on themes like anxiety, solitude and empathy are
AhmEd ElsayEd
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
السخرية؛ لا تتركها تسيطر عليك، وبخاصة في اللحظات التي يغيب فيها الإبداع. أما في لحظات الإبداع فحاول أن تسغلها، بوصفها وسيلة إضافية لفهم الحياة. إذا استخدمتها بنقاء ستبقي نقية ولن يكون عليك أن تخجل منها. وإذا شعرت أنك ألفتها أكثر مما ينبغي، فاخش تلك الألفة المتزايدة وأدر دفتك صوب أمور عظيمة وجادة تبدو السخرية أمامها ضئيلة وعاجزة. ابحث عن أعماق الأشياء، فهناك لا يمكن أن تسقط السخرية أبدا. وعندما تقترب من حافة ذلك الأمر الكبير، اختبر في الوقت ذاته إذا كانت طريقة الفهم هذه تنبع كامنة من كيانك. لأنها ...more
Rakhi Dalal
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is something very pious about the experience you have while reading this book. No, I am certainly not a theist. Not anymore. But if ever there were a Pantheon built for the bibliophiles, Rainer Maria Rilke’s “Letter To a Young Poet” shall invariably have a place in it.

Though this is just an account of Letters written by him to an aspiring poet, Rainer speaks to you in a language, which seems to be coming back to you, like a cherished memory once been forgotten. The Solitude he speaks
Calista
Rilke has sent 10 letters to his friend and pen pal, Kappus, talking about all manner of things, but mostly art and poetry. Kappus is a student asking Rilke about writing. He sends him his stories and letters and Rilke reads them and comments them. They also have a friendship developing between them.

This isn't a story, but it shows a historical mentorship. The book is the 10 letters that Rilke sent, but in this edition, they also print out the letters that Kappus sent to Rilke so we can see both
Teresa
As obras de arte são de uma solidão infinita e nada pode atingi-las menos do que a crítica. Só o amor pode apreendê-las e guardá-las e ser justo a seu respeito.
— Rainer Maria Rilke, "Cartas A Um Jovem Poeta"

Em 1903, Franz Xaver Kappus enviou uma carta a Rilke com alguns dos seus poemas e o pedido de opinião e conselho. A correspondência entre ambos vai até 1908. Três anos após a morte de Rilke, Kappus publica dez das cartas que recebeu.

Além da beleza e profundidade dos textos, emocionou-me a
João Barradas
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
Caro Senhor Rilke,

Cruzámo-nos primeiramente numa viagem para um casamento de amigos, na qual, inspirado por esse sacramento religioso, decidi conhecer as suas "Histórias de um Bom Deus". O retorno tem vindo a ser postergado, sem motivo aparente. Este ano, adquiri uma compilação dos seus poemas e seguidamente vi-o mencionado numa biografia de uma pessoa que muito estimo (Oliver Sacks, conhece?). Os nossos caminhos pareciam estar a cruzar-se. Até que tropecei neste conjunto de cartas (ou me
Evan

Sigh. Rilke answers nothing and answers everything.

He talks of our ancestors as being "murmuring blood." This book, containing the voice of his wisdom across the age, is blood that courses through us and speaks.

It offers comfort to me in the face of life's challenges, its unrequited longings. It helps me see the value of difficulties and the importance of patience.

I wish I'd read this many years ago. I think it would have given me guidance I needed, even if it didn't lead me away from mistakes.
Ahmed Ibrahim
"دع الحياة تحدث لك. صدقني: الحياة محقة على كل حال"
أعتقد أن هذه أهم جملة ونصيحة قدمها ريلكه للشاعر الشاب.

كتاب جميل، رسائل من ريلكه لشاعر صغير أرسل له قصائده لتقييمها فنمت بيهم بعض الرسائل التي أسدى فيها ريلكه نصائح للشاعر الصغير. أحبب الكتاب. أثر في أشياء بداخلي، وساعدني في فتح أفق الرؤية للطبيعة. لوهلة شعرت أن ريلكه خصني أنا بهذه الرسائل.
rahul
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We should be exchanging more letters with one another.
Not the kind you mail or type in a neat little MS Office font.
But ink stained, yellowing at the corners, hidden in dictionaries till there creases start to tear and the memory of other's handwriting bridge the meaning between words left unsaid and others that have faded. Those written with red, green, blue, black inks and sometimes with words scratched , over written almost like lithograph of thoughts.
Yeah, we should be dipping our hands in
Steven Godin
As Rilke's poetry has been notoriously hard to translate, the best way to get into the realm of Rilke is by simply reading these letters. One feels that we are getting to the essence not only of Rilke's poetry, but Rilke himself.

The story behind them is straightforward enough - A young officer cadet called Franz Xaver Kappus writes to Rilke, enclosing some verses of his own and asking for advice. Remember Rilke at this point was only 28 and had scant reputation of his own except among people
IE
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book divides me, unequally.

So there's this younger me—college sophomore, terribly confused, desperate, and unconsolably depressed, who recites You Who Never Arrived during long, vespertine walks, and who sees poetry as a way to emancipate the soul: yes, that type—who sees Letters To A Young Poet as something immaculate, who might as well put the hundred-page paperback in a glass case, on top of a pedestal, and worship it every morning. He is the smaller half, perhaps fifteen, twenty
Mohamed Khaled Sherif
هذا الريفيو شخصي جداً، غير موضوعي، وغير مُحايد.. وقد وجب التنويه.

ما قبل القراءة:

كان عندي موعد بالقاهرة في التاسعة من صباح اليوم.. وبعد ذهابي تأجل الميعاد فجأة أربع ساعات كاملة!.. فماذا عساي أفعل؟
تجولت في الشوارع قليلاً.. أحب التجول في القاهرة بين المباني الشاهقة التي أشعر أنها تحميني بطريقة ما.. وجدت نفسي أمام تمثال طلعت حرب.. وأمامه مكتبة الشروق..
إذاً هذا هو الحل.. سأدخل لأشتري كتاباً وأجلس في أي كافيه أو "قهوة بلدي" أقرأه حتى الميعاد المؤجل.. نسيت أن أخبرك أن ذلك الميعاد هو مصيري في حياتي
Ashley
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves… do not seek the answers which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them and the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

I feel like this book has become a token gift for graduates, along with "Oh, the Places You'll Go!". But with good reason. Rilke's advice to his
Chris_P
I guess this little book is the original and "the real thing" equivalent of Coelho's pseudophilosophical, pseudoinspirational manuals. Rilke sent these letters to Franz Xaver Kappus, in 1903-08 at the age of 28-33, who sought the famous poet's advice at a time when he was tormented by his loneliness and lack of confidence in his own works. One doesn't need to be an aspiring poet in order to draw inspiration from Rilke's wisdom which covers subjects of general importance. It's a book meant to be ...more
Julie
I have found out that I far prefer Mr. Rilke's poetry, to his prose. While there are lovely little gems thrown into these letters for the reader to find, he's just another young man bestowing his wisdom on the world. We are never so wise as we are at 22 and 25, with the whole world to discover; and indeed, think we have discovered the keys to the universe in the heart of a flower, or a poem. (Perhaps we had, as Rilke had.) And like Rilke, nothing that we ever did after that amounted to all the ...more
Emilio Berra
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: letto
" Essere artisti ... "
Le lettere contenute nell'agile volumetto, spedito da Rilke essenzialmente negli anni 1903-04 in risposta a sollecitazioni di un giovane poeta, ci offrono un pregevole contributo per comprendere il pensiero dell'Autore su letteratura e ruolo dell'artista.
Rilke scrive in un periodo che ha ormai messo in irreversibile crisi il Positivismo e che elabora la concezione dell'arte come intuizione. E' l'epoca di Benedetto Croce e, in termini ancor più strettamente letterari, della
midnightfaerie
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke was an excellent read and definitely one to put on my classics list. A short book that contains a collection of letters to a young poet, Rainer writes advice on anything from passion to love to life. The way he writes is exceptional, bringing an unusual beauty to his advice and a simplicity to his outlook on life. As you read it, you can't help but think, why this is obvious! Why didn't I think of it in this way before? An excellent read and a must ...more
Paula
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#readgermanbooks2020

“Utilizada pura, a ironia também é pura e não envergonha. Se sente por ela demasiada inclinação, se teme entre si e ela uma intimidade crescente, volte-se para coisas grandes e graves diante das quais ela se torne pequena e como que perdida. Desça às profundidades; a ironia não vai até lá. Se, porém, o acompanhar até à beira da grandeza, veja se corresponde a uma necessidade do seu temperamento.

Mesmo nunca tendo desejado ser escritora e muito menos poetisa, ou mesmo por esse
Χαρά Ζ.
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Rilke feels all of the things that you're afraid of."
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I loved reading this part in his letters:

So you mustn’t be frightened, dear Mr. Kappus, if a sadness rises in front of you, larger than any you have ever seen; if an anxiety, like light and cloud-shadows, moves over your hands and over everything you do. You must realize that something is happening to you, that life has not forgotten you, that it holds you in its hand and will not let you fall. Why do you want to shut out of your life any uneasiness, any misery, any depression, since after all
Cheryl
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Fionnuala
“Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage.”

It feels quite trite to say this slim collection is inspirational.
But there you go.
It is.
Emanuel
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O mais breve e mais belo livro que devo ter já lido. Cada frase é uma leitura interior que se vai elaborando, e a cada parágrafo olhamos para trás e percebemos que cedo este livro deveria ter vindo. Ao dizer que não estamos sós, está na verdade a dar o alento e conforto de que ainda precisamos e a orientar por ventura o amanhã. Porque faz todo o sentido o entendimendo de que o próprio amor abarca o além género e de que os dragões das nossas vidas se podem sempre transformar. Porque na verdade ...more
Carmo
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cartas, bib-p
Se há livros que falam conosco, este é um deles. É proibido lê-lo depressa. Deve ser apreciado e saboreado lentamente, fazê-lo durar como se de uma iguaria se tratasse. Deviamos lê-lo cedo, quando ainda andamos a arrepiar caminho na procura de um sentido para a vida (não que alguma vez o deixemos de procurar), antes que seja a própria vida a ensinar-nos da pior maneira.
À falta de um poeta que nos escreva melodiosas cartas, fiquemos então com este pequeno livro por perto, façamos de conta que foi
Anthony Vacca
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters to a Young Poet is a one-sided epistolary conversation between the already prolific Rainer Maria Rilke and a young military cadet/poet-hopeful, Franz Xaver Kappus (hell of a name, that). These ten letters from Rilke are a must-read for any hopeless heart who wants to be an artist--any kind of artist. The content of these letters isn't so much a how-to on writing poetry as much as a how-to keep your artistic spirits up. Rilke expounds vividly on the importance of solitude, faith in one's ...more
Lani Barcenas
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who seeks self-understanding and self-awareness
I was first acquainted with this book through an excerpt I heard in the tape of Beauty and the Beast, Love and Hope. It goes: "How should we be able to forget those ancient myths, those myths about dragons that at thelast moment turn into princesses. Perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses,who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave. Perhaps everything terrble is, in its deepest being, something helpless that wants help from us. So you must not be frightened when a ...more
Denis
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denis by: Britannie
Shelves: poetry
I started reading this book with the expectation that I would work my way through it quickly, but I ended up being driven through each letter by a hunger that had me finishing the whole thing in an hour. Among the many effects it had on me, I was left feeling humbled by the depth of what Rilke was able to express. He went far beyond simply addressing the concerns of how to be a true artist (though his insights in that respect were priceless), and he touched various inarticulate threads of my ...more

• Mogens and Other Stories
  • Bajo el cielo del sur
  • الأعمال الكاملة
  • الرسولة بشعرها الطويل حتى الينابيع
  • The Collected Poems
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two
“Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.” 10850 likes
“Therefore, dear Sir, love your solitude and try to sing out with the pain it causes you. For those who are near you are far away... and this shows that the space around you is beginning to grow vast.... be happy about your growth, in which of course you can't take anyone with you, and be gentle with those who stay behind; be confident and calm in front of them and don't torment them with your doubts and don't frighten them with your faith or joy, which they wouldn't be able to comprehend. Seek out some simple and true feeling of what you have in common with them, which doesn't necessarily have to alter when you yourself change again and again; when you see them, love life in a form that is not your own and be indulgent toward those who are growing old, who are afraid of the aloneness that you trust.... and don't expect any understanding; but believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.” 2614 likes