Start by marking “Wicked Luck (Wicked Luck, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Luck (Wicked Luck, #1)

Wicked Luck

(Wicked Luck #1)

How can Ava Starr’s worst nightmare be Dax Miller’s dream come true?

For the past three years, Dax has been stranded on Lamarai Island with his stepsister and two tribes of cannibals. But now a beautiful girl named Ava has washed up on shore. After secretly reading her journal, he believes she is a perfect match to the girl of his dreams. He’s determined not only to keep he
Published June 23rd 2015 by Clean Teen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Luck

Start your review of Wicked Luck (Wicked Luck, #1)
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I was hoping there would be an actual story, but instead anything potentially interesting is buried beneath angsty and badly written YA romance. The dialogue and characters come across as cheesy and lacking any subtle build-up or tension in both relationship and plot.

It starts off right away with romance, making it clear that's the focus point. Unfortunately the two main characters are more obnoxious than anything else, especially Ava with limited common sense who focuses more on a 'lost love'
Ashley Daviau
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
This story started off with so much potential but it went quickly downhill. I read stranded on a desert island with cannibals and I was sold. Sadly the story doesn’t focus on that and only briefly mentions the cannibals and their situation on the island. What we get instead is an angsty, terribly boring and annoying love story..... About 90% of the book focused on that. And not only was it a crap love story but it was a bloody love triangle on top of it, UGH.
Courtney Toohey
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, reviewed
Trapped on an island for years could make anyone crazy. Imagine being a young teenage boy, stranded on an island with only your stepsister for semi-normal company. Add in the fact that the island’s inhabitants are widely that of cannibals as well and you have yourself one heck of a nightmare. It is only natural that one would seek the solace of a dream, any dream, in order to survive.
For Dex, this is the best solution to the absolute worst case scenario. Each night for the last 3 years, Dex has
Maribel Platypire Reviews
***I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.***

I have to say this book pleasantly surprised me when I started reading it. We jump right into the story with Dax as he rescues a girl who has washed up on the shore. I'm instantly curious as to how he seems to know her and this helps me become deeply invested in the story.

This book holds many secrets and mysteries, and while I became frustrated with myself in trying to solve and understand the tangles and web of lies, it excit
Rebecca Gober
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! You can't beat a deserted island, a mysterious stranger and a wickedly enticing plot. I can't wait until this releases to hear what everyone thinks of it. This is New Adult due to college aged characters. It has a sweet romance in it, not steamy if that's what you are hoping for, but for me that's what I like. I loved the mystery and the journal entries that show you some of her background about what happened before she landed on the island. ...more
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen, YA, and teen at heart
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Clean Teen Publishing
Anyone who follows my reviews knows that YA Paranormal is my genre and from time to time, I step out of my comfort zone to give other books a try, and I must say that I am glad that I did!!

I was extremely intrigued when I read the synopsis for this book and I thought I would give it a shot. When I first started reading, I had lots of unanswered questions and I felt as if it started off slow, but once I got over that hump, the book started to pick up and my questions were of course answered. The
Beatrice Rivers
I loved this book, reading the whole thing in several hours.

I loved the character of Dax, especially the fact that he names everything after himself. I hope that he finds a way to get off of the island and that he can build himself a good life. I think that he would become a woodworker if he could get away from the island.

I don't like Roxy. Or Preston. I don't like Roxy because she is really annoying and won't stop moaning and i just don't like Preston's character. I don't understand the charac
Scribblegirl
I may write a longer, much more scathing review, but basically it amounts to a girl main character who is far TSTL who keeps running around an island full of cannibals, constantly in need of rescue by the boy main character, whose warnings she constantly ignores. Unbelievably irritating.
Ema
DNF at 15%

Ava's an idiot who needs to get her priorities straight. Dax is an idiot who needs to stop being creepy. I hate them both.

If the story was more about them being stranded on an island, I'd enjoy it a lot more. Instead, Dax is snooping through her things, and every other sentence Ava thinks or says involves Preston. The story is written well enough, but it's stupid and so are the characters.
Kitkat
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Grace
Nov 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is absolutely retarded. It starts off with a girl that's high in the looks department, but extremely shallow in the personality department.

And I mean, really shallow. She has a "past", and by past I mean bad luck that the author likes to dance around without elucidating too much on. It's not even in the mysterious, tantalising way, but the annoying, I-don't-know-what-to-write-so-fuck-it way.

Within the first few chapters, I was annoyed by both characters. They were stock stereotypical
Melissa
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Captivating Read!
I highly enjoyed this book, it draws you in right from the beginning and keeps you entranced throughout the entire story. I had a very difficult time putting it down and had it with me at all times so I could sneak in reads while waiting in line, waiting for my son's school bus etc. I loved the plot, it was unique, suspenseful and had great mystery and a sweet touch of romance. The writing is superb, it was like being in the story and experiencing it along with the characters,
Kristen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I liked this a lot! I found myself thinking about it & wanting to know what was going to happen when I wasn't reading, so I kept coming back to it even though I had a really busy week. I liked the switching of perspectives & times between the narrators. I liked the pace & the plot & it kept me guessing & interested. Ava's naïveté bothered me a little, but she was self-proclaimed naïve & gullible, so it was acceptable rather than annoying.

Good, clean YA fiction & I'm excited to be starting the n
Kathy-Lynn Cross
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This read was a summer vacation. I felt like I was having their experiences with them. The characters click. The plots move.
In some cases I felt Ava's problems were from poor choices, not just from a coincidence of bad luck. {But, guys can cloud your judgment. (lol)}
I highly recommend this story. You will not be disappointed, it is wickedly twisted. I can't wait for the next installment. Enjoy!
Lindy
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hooked

I'm hooked. Before I even finished a third of the book I was recommending it to my friends. The cover draws you in, the synopsis gives you chills and the story keeps you captivated. I didn't know it was a trilogy but was scared where it might end and was thankful for getting 2 more books out of this. The storyline is one I hadn't read before. Very suspenseful, tragedy, humor and adventure rolled up in a great clean read.
Dana Wood
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
unrealistic teen drama. niave and gullible are words that describe Ava and I would add dumb, brainless and helpless. there was no growth in this character at all. it seemed like she was tryi g to start her life over but then guy enters picture and she becomes a hopeless dumb girl who can't survive without said guy. then another guy enters picture and she ends up doing the same thing with him. it was sad. I actually felt sorry for both of these guys because she was so pathetic... ...more
Julia
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an ending! This book was captivating from the beginning! Ava ends up on a island full of cannibals with a mysterious boy. She has a questionable past and mystery surrounds much of her life and I could not wait to get through this book to find out all the secrets. I found out some but this book left me hanging and I cannot wait to start on book two.
Bekah the Awesome
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't ready for this book to end. And I'm most definitely NOT prepared to wait 10 more days for book 2. I may be fiending for the rest of this story a lil (read: totally jonesing, definitely a junkie for this). ...more
Melody
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
While at the beach, on a cannibal filled island, Dax finds a girl floating in the ocean. After years of being stranded on the island with only his stepsister, Roxy, and the two cannibal tribes for company, he couldn't be happier. Of course the fact that she's his dream girl doesn't hurt either. But the only thing Ava wants to know is where's Preston?

Ava irritated the hell out of me, it was always "Preston this" and "Preston that." I got so tired of hearing about Preston that I was kind of hoping
☆Joycedale☆
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
So Ava and Dax are both annoying. I mean he tells her they're on an island of cannibals. So of course she takes this as I must keep wondering off. And Dax! I don't care what your history is, the girl was just in a plane crash that she believes killed her boyfriend, give her some space! It's really no wonder she keeps trying to run away from you ya creep.
Not to mention the constant inconsistencies in the story. Such as the whole story it says she's 18 but then there's the journal entry describing
Z
Feb 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Z by: Bookbub
Carolyn Piechowicz
Wicked luck

I thought this was a good read. It grabbed your attention from the get go and kept you interested until the cliffhanger ending. I just wish that Ava was less of a victim "woe is me" character.
Sam
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of this book is good but what ruined it for me was the female protagonist. She is.... just.... uninspiring. Several times throughout the book I thought she was stupid. Not naive (which is what they try to play her off as) but stupid.
Deborah
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frustrating characters

Maybe I'm too old for this book & teenage girls might like it? I found all the characters ditzy & annoying but especially Ava who seems to have no mind of her own & wants to marry every guy that's nice to her
Gabbiezee
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short book, though I felt annoyed with the young female lead at times, it was interesting enough to keep me hooked and I definitely want to continue reading.
Elizabeth
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
If Ava said the name Preston one more time I thought I'd scream. How could she be so stupid. Also, I did not like the ending and there is no way I will read another continuation of this book. ...more
Malinda
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have no idea why I wasted my time on this book... so predictable and cliche.
Jesi
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I actually liked the plot of this book and enjoyed reading it mostly. What prompted me to give it a two was the abrupt ending and the weak, dependent main female character.
Heather Merritt
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book, can't wait to read the next one ...more
Corissa
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling read. Just enough twists and turns to make you think.

• 10 Blind Dates
  • Outcast (Defiance, #0.5)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4)
  • Abandon
  • Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3)
  • Dead at Twilight (Shaded Falls, #1)
  • Unseen (The Unseen Trilogy, #1)
  • One Black Rose (One Black Rose, #1)
  • Snow, Glass, Apples [Chapbook]
  • Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
  • Deliverance (Defiance, #3)
  • Defiance (Defiance, #1)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • Praetorian Rising
Shannon L. Maynard lives in Colorado with her five girls and a boxer named Lucky. When she's not working, writing, or reading she can be found driving kids to soccer, folding mountains of pink laundry, or eating her weight in chocolate. Other addictions include shoe shopping, reading YA, and Australian and British accents (which may be partly to blame for her massive crush on Thor). If she had one ...more

Wicked Luck (2 books)
  • Wicked Fate (Wicked Luck, #2)

News & Interviews

“He has no idea that leaving me here alone has allowed the sorrow to sneak up in his absence and take over my soul.” 1 likes
“I’m not thinking about mermaids now, or surfing, or sharks, because all I can think about is what it would be like to kiss him, and that’s weird and crazy because I know there’s something else I should be thinking about instead—something important that I’m forgetting.” 1 likes