Start by marking “Love on a Deadline: An August Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #9)” as Want to Read:
Love on a Deadline: An August Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #9)

Love on a Deadline: An August Wedding Story

(A Year of Weddings 2 #9)

Meet the people who make it all happen—the planners, the photographers, the musicians who have helped orchestrate the perfect day for countless couples—as they find their own happy endings in the second Year of Weddings novella collection.

MacKenzie “Mac” Davis left her hometown of Red Leaf, Wisconsin, to pursue a degree in journalism. But when her dad, the town’s beloved
Published July 28th 2015 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Love on a Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love on a Deadline

Start your review of Love on a Deadline: An August Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #9)
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This was super cute!

I was in the mood for a quick escape and I happened upon a friends review of this (as part of an anthology) and it sounded like something I would enjoy so I grabbed it up.

In high school Mac was pretty much only known as the Coach's daughter, overlooked and forgettable. It didn't help that she inadvertently made enemies with the girl next door who happened to be part of the "cool crowd" and sister to the quarterback and Mac's secret crush, Ethan Channing. Ten years have
Jen
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, lent-read
Cute, sweet novella that has brought my hope back for the Zondervan wedding series.

The protagonists are genuinely nice, real people. You get to see inside both of their heads and it is a cozy experience. I'm not saying that it's all warm and fuzzy, but they are so nice it is refreshing.

The small-town setting never gets old with me. I love how everyone knows, and cares, about everyone else in town. Also, the descriptions of the lake and the eagle and the nature all around made me wish I was
Tara
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this in the set "Kiss the Bride"
Loved this one...a girl's first crush returns. Always a fun storyline! No insta-love and plenty of romance/banter. My kind of story!

Mac wants nothing more than to escape the small town that held embarrassing memories from high school for her. She moved back home to help take care of her dad after he had a heart attack. Now she's just putting in time doing menial pieces for the local paper, waiting for a real article that she can submit with her
Melanie
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Love on a Deadline was a really cute read and much better than the first book (Love at Mistletoe Inn) in this second set of "Year of Weddings" novellas.

I liked the characters and how Mac had feelings for Ethan in high school, but certain circumstances caused them to never get together. This story is kind of their second chance at love.

While the ending isn't the happily ever after you expect, it was still sweet and I liked it. I also enjoyed the other romance story in Ethan's sister's wedding --
Dawn
Another sweet story. I loved how both Ethan and Mac worked together and put the past behind them.
Darla Damron
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reporter changes the story

The most popular girl and boy grow up. But do they stay the same? Find out how 10 yrs makes a difference in the way they look at people they went to high school with. And the people they are going to marry.
Madison
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I tried, and disliked, a few books in this second series of wedding novellas, I decided to stick with authors I already knew and loved. Kathryn Spring has placed herself firmly in this category with her full length novel The Dandelion Field and her novella The September Bride in the first Year of Weddings Series. Now Love On A Deadline confirms her ability to write loveable characters in charming settings, all tied up with a writing style that flows beautifully and makes for an enjoyable ...more
Brittany
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed quite a few of these Year of Weddings novellas that have released in the past two years. There are a handful that have become favorite stories, and this is definitely one of them.

The author did a great job of creating two main characters that I connected with immediately upon meeting them in the story. The fact that they knew each other in high school and the whole back story involving the way Mac was treated in high school tugged at my heart.

The chemistry between Mac and Ethan
Tima
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
MacKenzie grew up in the small town of Red Leaf, but was eager to leave. She was pursing her career in journalism when her father suffered a mild heart attach. Mac returns home to help out her father, but plans to return to the city when he is better. In the mean time, she's suffering at the local paper writing stories about garden clubs and town meetings. Her boss sends her to cover the wedding of a local celebrity who is about to get married. Mac isn't thrilled, but then she meets the bride's ...more
Jessie
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, novella, netgalley
This was a sweet love story about the people on the sidelines at weddings. Mac went to college to become a big time reporter, but ended up back in her hometown watching over her ailing father. She wants to be interviewing politicians, instead she gets asked to cover Hollis Channing's wedding. After Hollis filled the role of "mean girl" in Mac's life, that's the last thing she wants to do. But running into Hollis' brother, Ethan, just might be worth it.
Mac's reaction to her past with Ethan seemed
Megan
Love on a Deadline is a story that can easily be read in one sitting. I enjoyed how the novella had not one, but two love stories in it the main characters' and Ethan's sister's. A couple of times the story felt rushed, but that sometimes comes with novellas so it wasn't a huge deal. The ending was really sweet and wrapped the story up nicely. All in all this was a very enjoyable story and one I'd recommend.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest
Rachel Marie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this was a fun, cute story. Mac is back in her small town to take care of her father after a heart attack, but she doesn't plan to stay there. Then, her editor asks her to cover the wedding of the girl who made Mac's high school life miserable... which also means spending time with the bride's older brother, and Mac's first crush Ethan.

I will say, the only thing I didn't like was how Mac held this grudge against Ethan for ten years about something he didn't even realize he did. And
Grace Tolman
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the story line for this specific novella.
Mackenzie, or Mac as she was called growing up lives in Red Leaf and is a reporter for the local paper. She is tired of living in small town and was actually away in the big city for a while until her dad, the local football coach, had a heart attack.
She is tired of covering the boring events and wanted to get into "real" reporting when her editor brings her the news that one of the girls that was mean to her in high school is coming back for
Janka H.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet novella about returns and what one truly wants/is.

Ethan's sister and her actor fiancee want just a small, private wedding. So Ethan returns to their hometown to put everything in order. But what he hasn't thought of before was how much work a wedding is and how the coach's kid daughter might change - into a beautiful woman.

Mackenzie wants to put her embarrassing high school years behind her. She has returned to her hometown after her dad's mild stroke, dreaming about leaving again for a
Susan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-clean
A very fun short story romance. I loved it. It had everything needed for a short getaway from life.
Marie
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
rushed, superficial when it held potential
Lisa
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story! I wish it could have been a full novel.
Bridget
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute story, with God and a moral weaved in.
Mackenzie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Year of Weddings Series 2
Book 9
**Audio book
Donna (More Than a Review)
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love on a Deadline is a novella in The Year of Wedding series. If you are new to the series, 2014 was a year of brides, 2015 is a year of people who orchestrate weddings for others getting to find their own love story.
Mac is the daughter of a beloved coach in their small town of Red Leaf, Wisconsin. Her dad raised her after her mom passed away so she is a little bit of a tom boy. She left home to purse a degree in journalism and the story opens after she has returned to help her dad after he
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book is part of the Year of Weddings Novella Collection. I picked it up on NetGalley because I've always enjoyed reading these kind of books. Each month a new novella is released based on a common theme. This series involves people who make weddings happen- the planners, photographers, musicians etc.. These books are stand alone and do not depend on any of the others.

MacKenzie was such an easy character to like. I loved her sense of loyalty and devotion to her dad. She leaves the
Amy
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Thanks to Zondervan Fiction & Netgalley for the ARC. This short Novella from Kathryn Springer, is a quick easy read, that takes you to the small town of Red Leaf,min the shore of Lake Michigan. For 'Mac' Mackenzie Davis who grew up here as the High School football coaches daughter, it is the place she didn't want to return to, but she has come home to take care of her Father. She sees it as a stop over on her way to bigger and better things as a reporter for a larger newspaper in the city. ...more
Tracey
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

High school memories aren't always pleasant and MacKenzie Davis is a prime example. She's the nerdy coach's daughter who is always around during football season that no one seems to notice, especially Ethan Channing the star football player, her secret crush and next door neighbor. She even ends up as a team mascot sub, for homecoming no less, ouch. Popular, she isn't. She leaves her small hometown, Red Leaf, WI. to pursue a journalism degree and find a job at a paper large enough to cover
Iola
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Journalist Mackenzie Davis is working for the Red Leaf Register, the paper in her home town, while she waits for her big break in a major publication. Meanwhile she’s left covering insignificant local interest stories. And now her high school nemesis is marrying a rising movie star, and she’s been asked to cover the wedding preparations … which are being undertaken by her high school crush, the boy next door, the brother of said high school nemesis.

“This was Hollis Channing they were talking
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well this is the first one of these books that has brought me to tears! The book actually started out a little slow for me and I thought "I am going to just read it quickly and get it over with so I can do the review." - little did I know I was going to be falling in love with it! The tears came about half way through and just kept coming till the tearful end (a happy ending, just more tears!) I am such a sap!

Excellent character development! I loved the two main characters - MacKenzie “Mac”
Dora Hiers
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reporter "Mac" Davis chomps at the bit for a meaty story, anything that'll take her back to the big city, away from Red Leaf where everybody still thinks of her as Coach's daughter. Physician Ethan Channing returns to his hometown, intent on sinking roots in the small community, surprised at Mac's transformation from sideline "water girl" to beautiful woman.

I have read a few books by Kathryn Springer and enjoyed them, so I scooped up Love on a Deadline when it listed on NetGalley. I'm glad I
Gina Hott
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mac, Mackenzie Davis, is back. She returned to Red Leaf last year to take care of her father and still hasn’t escaped yet. As the only child of everyone’s favorite widowed coach Mac wasn’t raised in a traditional way. Now, years later everyone treats her like she’s still the coach’s daughter tagging along.
But being back brings painful memories. Like a lack of friends and her first crush, Ethan Channing.

The same Ethan Channing that has just arrived in Red Leaf after disappearing ten years ago. He
Lillian Cummings
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mackenzie is back home in Red leaf making sure that he father gets his health in order, she is working for the local paper but she wants to further her career she just needs that one story to change things for her.

Her old neighbour Hollis Channing is getting married in secret to a movie star and this is her chance to get the scoop. They never got on at school so this isn't going to go as planned. Little does she know that her school crush is coming home.

Ethan Channing has decided to move back
Jin
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
Mackenzie and Ethan attended same high school in Red Leaf. Mac was shy Coach's daughter everyone knew but really didn't know her. Pretty invisible to everyone including Ethan and all others.
Reliving the past wasn't her goal. Mackenzie and Ethan attended same high school in Red Leaf. Mac did not want to return to home town but her father Coach Davis had a heart attack she had to come back to take care of him since Mac lost her mother. She was working as reporter/photographer at weekly newspaper
Hallie Szott
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

Another great addition to A Year of Weddings from Kathryn Springer, “Love on a Deadline” returns to the Red Leaf, Wisconsin of “A September Bride” and tells the story of another second-chance romance. MacKenzie Davis and Ethan Channing reconnect when he returns home to plan his sister’s wedding. Their story is cute and sweet, as they seek to distinguish themselves from their high-school selves and discover their potential for love. Fans of Zondervan’s

• A November Bride (A Year of Weddings, #12)
  • Kiss the Bride: Three Summer Love Stories
  • A June Bride (A Year of Weddings, #7)
  • An October Bride (A Year of Weddings, #11)
  • A March Bride (A Year of Weddings, #4)
  • An August Bride (A Year of Weddings, #9)
  • A December Bride (A Year of Weddings, #1)
  • A July Bride (A Year of Weddings, #8)
  • A May Bride (A Year of Weddings, #6)
  • An April Bride (A Year of Weddings, #5)
  • A January Bride
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • Honeysuckle Dreams (Blue Ridge, #2)
  • Take a Chance on Me (Christiansen Family, #1)
  • You're the One that I Want (Christiansen Family, #6)
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • On Magnolia Lane (Blue Ridge, #3)
  • The Wonder of You (Christiansen Family, #5)
Kathryn Springer, winner of the 2007 Write Touch Reader’s Award (long contemporary), grew up in a small town in northern Wisconsin, where her parents published a weekly newspaper. As a child, she spent many hours sitting at her mother’s typewriter, plunking out stories, and credits her parents for instilling in her a love of books – which eventually turned into a desire to tell stories of her own. ...more

A Year of Weddings 2 (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Love at Mistletoe Inn: A December Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings 2, #1)
  • A Brush with Love: A January Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings 2, #2)
  • Serving Up a Sweetheart: A February Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #3)
  • All Dressed Up in Love: A March Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #4)
  • In Tune With Love: An April Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #5)
  • Never a Bridesmaid: A May Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #6)
  • Picture Perfect Love: A June Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #7)
  • I Hope You Dance: A July Wedding Story
  • Love Takes the Cake: A September Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #10)
  • The Perfect Arrangement: An October Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #11)