Start by marking “Scales (Falling in Deep Collection)” as Want to Read:
Scales (Falling in Deep Collection)

Scales

(A Mermaid Tale #0.5)

Verona is a bottom feeder. She is the one mer in her clan who is considered the ugliest and least intelligent. Growing up with the constant bullying and abuse wasn’t the worst of what her kind had in store for her. At seventeen years old, she must now endure “The Reckoning.”

The scales will measure her worth to her clan. Will she endure thirty days as a land-walker to gathe
Published May 26th 2015 by AltWit Press

To ask other readers questions about Scales, please sign up.
BookishOwlette I would say PG since there isn't anything inappropriate. However, there is some physical and verbal abuse going on.

Start your review of Scales (Falling in Deep Collection)
Kira Simion
I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm sure glad I got the chance to read this!

I have loved more than hated when it came to the mermaid books that I've read! Just so much action (and some to quite-a-bit of romance). ^^

But that cliffhanger.... :(:
Lola
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I bought the Falling in Deep collection as I enjoy mermaid stories. Having already read two of the stories in this box set I excitedly started reading the rest. Unfortunately Scales didn't work for me, maybe because I was expecting more or had my hopes up, but I felt strangely disappointing. It's a short novella, but I struggled through it at times, the only reason I finished it was because of the length. This book was pretty boring, not much happens and it couldn't keep my attention. It was jus ...more
Ronda  Tutt
Addicting from the start, oh my gosh - wow what a trip this poor girl has to live through. I really liked the way the author writes and even though the book is a cliff hanger which I absolutely hate, I have to say I couldn't wait to find out what happens next between Verona and Bailey or if she goes on with her life on shore or into another clan. I absolutely loved this mermaid world even though I hate anyone being a bottom feeder (being bullied where only the strongest survive). But the suspens ...more
Jessica Belmont
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the world-building in this. It’s so vivid and I really could see what the author was painting with her words. I love the mermaid angle and it’s such an interesting concept.

The plotline is well-paced. I loved the suspense and Verona’s journey. It’s heartwarming and captivating. Pauline Creeden’s writing is wonderful.

I recommend checking this series out! Fantastic world-building, believable characters, and a fun plot. Check it out!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Promotio
Lindsay
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't say that I've ever been the biggest mermaid fan (although I do admit to knowing all the lyrics to Under the Sea) but I think I may be converted! This is the first book from the Falling in Deep Collection that I've read, and it certainly won't be the last! Several of my favorite authors have paired up in this one, making it my most anticipated anthology in forever!

In the end, my greatest regret was that this story wasn't anywhere near long enough. Novellas rarely are, but in this case, t
Sherry Fundin
Scales by Pauline Creeden is a mermaid novella and does not stand alone.

I love anything to do with mer people and when I see a book, I will grab it pronto. The cover is beautiful and the title catchy, makes me think I will enjoy Pauline's writing.

The Reckoning has come for Verona. Will she choose the land or the sea?

I wonder...do mers go to school? Do they learn to read and write? Do they quote Shakespeare?

Pauline's vivid and detailed description of Verona changing from breathing water to breath
BookishOwlette
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
bookishScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.43.10 PM.pngowlette

Spoiler Free Review:
Scales is a book that I got for free for subscribing to the authors newsletter. I’m also not sure how I feel about this.

As a novella, this was pretty short. Perhaps too short for my taste.
At times, it felt like there was too much description but not enough story going on. Obviously, I ended up skipping those parts. Since, it was mostly about the fish and water stuff. This is also the first book I’ve read from this series. Therefore, I’m not sure if I’m missing
Amy
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
-- I received this book in exchange for my honest review. -- This is a short mermaid story. The main character's name is Verona, you won't know her name unless you know some Shakespeare. She is exiled for being less than a typical Mer. Most of the beginning was pretty slow paced, and not so interesting. By the middle it picked up and gained my interest. The characters are not as detailed as I like, but enough so for my imagination to do the rest. The book left a cliffhanger, but nothing you'd sc ...more
Brittany
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay beginning. irratated that it just stops abruptly. don't think I'll continue with series. very slow pace.
Heather Ragland
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Book Review: Scales by Pauline Creeden

Reviewed by Heather Ragland

Verona’s reckoning has begun. If she survives the trial period, her social status among the Mer people will change. To make this transition, Verona only has three choices. Not one of them is very appealing. Will Verona face exile or will she do what is necessary to return to her people?

With a basic writing style, Creeden encourages readers to learn about Verona’s fate, as the mermaid faces difficult situations. The themes of social
SUZAN C.
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've always been a sucker for mermaid tales and I wasn't sure what to expect when I received Scales for free to read and review. Scales is definitely different from Disney's"The Little Mermaid" version although the main character, Verona is just as naive and inexperienced as Ariel.

Scales is written in the first person narrative with Verona as the main character. It is a rather short novel and I finished it in less than an hour. Although it is told through the eyes of Verona, there are parts wher
Alexandra Mack
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I randomly found this book on my phone, I thought I was going to be in for a unique story with mermaids. Instead, I realized that this was the same book as "Caught in the Current" from the Sirens and Scales box set, except it was from Verona's POV. This, however, was not bad.

Verona is a bottom feeder. She has been chosen to do the "Reckoning". This means that she will have to venture to the surface to gather information for the clan and be viewed as a valuable member of the society. They be
Tracey Madeley
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I’m reluctant to call this a novella as only 70% of the 92 pages are included in the book, despite a large number of chapters. This appears at face value to be a typical mermaid tale. Although it is so short and under dramatized, it doesn’t go anywhere. A significant part of the story is taken up with Verona and the horses. She also watches a soap opera in order to learn about human culture, it is very Splash, but not really credible. I’m not convinced any of this drives the plot forward.

A large
David Wright
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing.

OK. I know that this is aimed at a different audience, but I never let a specific genre deter me from trying anything once.

Scales could have been a fascinating story, full of mystery and struggles of trying to live alongside humanity etc. Instead, for the most part, this story is about Verona, a mermaid bottom feeder.

Unlike a lot of fiction where the main character is downtrodden, excluded from society but determined to make a difference, this story is almost the complet
Dina Bushrod
My first journey into this authors books. I found the world building in this story very interesting and different from other mermaid stories. The story is of a young mermaid shunned by her own people who must then leave the only place she's ever known to try and exist on her own. She finds surprising help along the way, but meanwhile she slowly learns of the human world above. The story made me feel bad of her treatment by her own kind but also gave some hope through her surprising protector. I ...more
Lana
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book took a different slant at mermaid life and the novel deals with the life of Verona a bottom-feeder who seems to be a sort of low caste in life amongst the mermaids. She was bullied and hurt both physically and psychologically and then exiled for a term away from all she knew to survive or die as she best knew how. She gets the help of a male of her species but this is so uncharacteristic and she is so not used to getting help she does not know how to react to this! A good story but i t ...more
Autumn
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I am glad I started reading this novella before I started Salt as it gave a bit of background to how Verona was treated. She was not treated the best being a bottom feeder yet I do wish the author would have gone into more detail of how the mermaid world worked.

Verona will have three choices that she has to chose from while staying away from her people.

I think this mermaid series by this author is going to be pretty good. I plan on reading more to find out what Verona will choose and how she wi
Jessica Belmont
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Promotion
Pat Raab
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Bottom feeder" sounds disgusting, but Verona is really considered the lowest of the low within her clan. Put upon and bullied all her life, and now sent out to prove herself worthy of acceptance, she first has to learn the skills to catch food and keep herself alive. Help comes grudgingly from an unexpected source. She wanders the ocean, hiding from clan members whilst trying to decide whether to go onto the land or not. I look forward to reading more.
Beth
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-group-reads
I like the narrator, the world building, and the narrative voice. The setup is promising. But there is just not much here overall and the pacing is not good. It feels like an early draft of the first third of a novel. Maybe I'll like "Salt" better, but I'm not chomping at the bit to find out. Additionally, there was an irritating amount of word repetition I think another read through would have caught and fixed.
Helgaleena Healingline
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the very first introduction to the story of Verona, a young mermaid thrown out of her underwater community to survive on her own, or not, on false charges of criminal behavior, which don't matter anyway as her main struggle becomes to stay alive.

Life as the village scapegoat would seem the worst preparation for this struggle, but she receives unexpected aid. When she finds herself on land, her ability to trust in human kindness opens up like a blooming flower.
Tammy Ambrose
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I used this book like a palette cleanser or a reset button. I needed something different from what I usually read and this was it. I liked the story, even though this is just the beginning and more stories follow this one I think it may have been a little to young for my taste and I won't be continuing the series.
Teya Teya
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay so Submerged and this book are of about the same time frame just from two different point of views. I enjoyed both and loved both points of view. It's the first time with this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it, clean and well written. The characters are well formed. They both lead to the first book called Salt, which I have and will start reading.
Dawn
It’s a fast read, but a good Novella
Since it’s a .5 Story, I’m assuming most people start with book 1, I didn’t.

The character made me want to know more about her, and to see her grown more brave.
I’m interested in reading more in the series. So it’s a good solid story.

I do feel incomplete, but supporting stories are like that, especially with cliff hangers.
Rosina
I liked this book. It was a cute short story about a mermaid who has been exiled and how she must learn to defend for herself to survive as a bottom feeder who isn’t accepted in society.
I really enjoyed this as a short story and feel it’s a good read for when you just want something small and sweet.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Swimmingly stunningly

An awesome intriguing her story that keeps moving through the well known waters surrounding the Chesapeake bay and northernmost areas including the wild ponies.
Valerie Harridge
Good book

I really liked how this was written. It was a great book to read on a rainy day. I loved how the characters are and how the story flows. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Lady The Owls
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hide

Very different mer story. Unexpected story of life as a mermaid. Loved how it is not your typical mermaid. Not your little mermaid life in the sea. Great take on a different Society of mer people.
Cassandra Ulrich
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scales is basically a repeat of Sirens and Scales's Caught in the Current except it's from Verona's point of view instead of Bailey's. In fact, Scales did not go as far as Caught in the Current, a little disappointing. However, I am looking forward to Salt answering all the questions.
Aighmi*
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely a good prequel teaser! No question I want to read more about this mysterious yet fully-fledged Mer society and the future of the protagonist! It is important to me how well-written and -edited this work is, as well. Now, off to read Ms. Creeden's next book in this series!
« previous 1 3 next »

• UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Mirage (Destined, #1)
  • Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)
  • The Blood Princess: Episode One
  • The Sheriff's Woman
  • Amazing Grace (Hymns of the West #3)
  • Death at a Diner (A Murder in Milburn #1)
  • Catch Me, Cowboy (The 78th Copper Mountain Rodeo #1; Marvells of Montana #3)
  • The Soul Guide (The Soul Guide Series, #1)
  • Accidentally Married (Married, #1)
  • The First Shot (Dedicated to Death, #1)
  • The Other Inheritance (Inheritance, #1)
  • Alix (The Coven's Grove Chronicles, #1)
  • End of Eternity (End of Eternity, #1)
  • Dog Collar Crime (A Lucie Rizzo Mystery, #1)
  • Prowl (Nothing Else Matters But Survival #3)
  • Promise Me This
  • Make Me Forget (It's Kind of Personal, #1)
Pauline Creeden is an award-winning author, horse trainer, and overall book ninja. She becomes the main character in each of her stories, and because she has ADD, she will get bored if she pretends to be one person for too long.

Armored Hearts, her joint effort with author Melissa Turner Lee, has been a #1 Bestseller in Christian Fantasy and been awarded the Crowned Heart for Excellence by InDtale

A Mermaid Tale (3 books)
  • Salt (A Mermaid Tale #1)
  • Submerged (A Mermaid Tale #2)
  • Surfacing (A Mermaid Tale #3)

News & Interviews