Start by marking “The Hob and the Deerman” as Want to Read:
The Hob and the Deerman

The Hob and the Deerman

In a place where the everyday world and the Otherworld meet, anything can happen...
Crowfield Abbey lies in ruins and a ghostly crawling man haunts the long abandoned rooms and cloisters.
When Brother Walter the hob returns to the abbey, he finds it a desolate, troubled place. The ghost of a young girl waits in vain for her father to come for her. A boggart lurks in the ab
Published October 16th 2014 by CreateSpace (first published July 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Hob and the Deerman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hob and the Deerman

Andrew
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was book I have had my eye on for a while though I will admit it was not till I had the change to read it for free did I decided to give it a shot.

Well I will admit that I have mixed feelings about this book, although I will be the first to admit that they are all due to the skill of the author and as such full respect goes to her.

First of all a little context - Pat Walsh had two books published, the Corwfield Curse and the Crowfield Demon which I really enjoyed and have long been watching
Alz
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I was asked to review this book and was sent a copy, so here I go!

The Hob and the Deerman is a short book but it is exactly the right length. It provides a glimpse of the world after the two Crowfield novels while also being standalone enough that anyone can read and enjoy without having read the other books.

This is the story of folklore and mythology, of a history of demons and angels, of old magic and vengeful ghosts and fey creatures, all from the perspective of a hob, Brother Wal
Denise
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Pat Walsh's writing and waited eargerly for the third book of the Crowfield series which tells the Hob's story. Walsh's writing is compelling,incredibly rich and atmospheric. Her attention to detail exudes her vast archaeological knowledge and she entwines this with the most amazing characters. Some, such as the 'Hob' (Brother Walter) are truly delightful, whilst others such as 'The Crawling Man' are absolutely hideous! Be afraid!
As a previous reviewer has said though, you are
Kathryn Evans
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Pat Walshes writing and was so disappointed that there wasn't going to be another Crowfield book and then - bets of both worlds. out comes this fabulous tale of the Hob!.

Wonderful - though laced through with soem seriously creepy characters, Walsh manages to write so warmly you're cocooned in her story and just want to stay there. Her style reminds me of the stories I read when I was young, those that sweep you up and have you live alongside the characters for while - I only wish I didn
Nilsson
I got trapped into reading this book in the dark, because all our light bulbs burnt out and we couldn't afford to replace them at the time. I finished the whole thing that night, and I should say, I still imagine shadows in the woods behind our house at night. My mom thinks it would just be the hob, but what if she's lying and it's the deerman?
Diana
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This had so many creepy and suspenseful parts that I couldn’t stop reading it until I finished it (if there’s ever a creepy story, I have to get to the end; to a place we’re things work out all right). And even then I kept thinking about it and slept with a light on (that’s just how my imagination gets me!!). But it was a very good story. It takes place about 200 years after the events of the Crowfield Curse books, just FYI, and alludes to several things in them, even things that will be in the ...more
Lynossa
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-2014
Disclaimer: I've got the copy from the author as an exchange to an honest review.

The first time I read about the hob and the abbey was in 2011, Pat Walsh asked to review The Crowfield Curse and, I said yes. I really enjoyed the story and ended up buying a copy, I also bought and enjoyed the second of the series, The Crowfield Demon.
Now the series returns with a standalone story about the Hob Brother Walter and it's set years after the incident in The Crowfield Abbey. At first I was concerned how
Katie Heron
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that strikes you about this book is that it's a bit short. The second thing is that by about page 3 incredibly moving. It's beautifully written with characters from the other books skilfully interwoven into the story making it familiar yet not *over egging the Crowfield pudding*. I want a hob more than ever now. Can't wait for the next one...
Catherine
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s-read
A lovely little book that touches on death and loss, happy memories and sad, in a simple way that is not overly mawkish and sentimental. It is a companion to the Crowfield books but is not part of that series - the Hob being the only character from the two (currently) Crowfield books.
Christina
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
Such vivid imagery, and I was intrigued by the mystery of the vanishing stones from the start. The descriptions of the Deerman himself were achingly beautiful, and I could feel the hobs' longing to go with him.
Ginny Griffin
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
More of a novella than a book But enjoyed reading more about the Hob not on the same level as The Crowfield Curse and The Crowfield Demon though.
Alison Brownlee
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pat Walsh write more from this world, yes it's YA fiction but it's just so gripping and quite scary for kids. Read it and love it too.
Sue Hyams
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Crowfield Curse and the Crowfield Demon so I'm delighted to have gone back to the world of the hob. Lovely story. Really enjoyed it and I hope there is more to come!
Charlotte
« previous 1 3 next »
3rd book? 5 12 Jul 25, 2014 06:59AM

• Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • Oddly Enough
  • Wildflowers Come Back (Wildflowers Come Back, #1)
  • Spotty Powder and other Splendiferous Secrets
  • Gideon Smith and the Mask of the Ripper (Gideon Smith, #3)
  • Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)
  • Escape from Baxters' Barn
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • Myths That Every Child Should Know: A Selection of the Classic Myths of All Times for Young People
  • Skyborn (Thrones & Bones, #3)
  • Dragon's Heart (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • The Girl with Borrowed Wings
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen (Pals in Peril, #2)
  • Sharon Osbourne Survivor: My Story: The Next Chapter
  • Necrophenia
  • The Ghost Runner: The Tragedy of the Man They Couldn't Stop
  • The Dominion Key (Joshua Dread #3)
I was born in Cobham, Kent, and spent my early years in West Africa and Ireland, until my family eventually settled in Leicestershire. When I was nine years old, I decided I wanted to be an archaeologist, in the mistaken belief that they spent their time digging up dinosaur bones. When I discovered what they actually did, and got over the disappointment of a life without dinosaurs,I never looked b ...more