Start by marking “The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood & Co., #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood & Co., #1.5)

The Dagger in the Desk

(Lockwood & Co. #1.5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,851 ratings  ·  307 reviews
A thrilling new case for London’s most talented psychic detection agency—from the global bestselling author of the Bartimaeus Sequence.

In London, a mysterious and potentially deadly ghost is stalking the halls of St Simeon’s Academy for Talented Youngsters. It lurks in the shadows, spreading fear and icy cold – and it carries a sharp and very solid dagger...

The headmaster
Published February 9th 2015 by RHCP Digital (first published October 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dagger in the Desk, please sign up.
George The listings have now been combined. You can "buy" it for $0.00 as a Kindle from Amazon--no obligation, in this case. Probably easiest just to search …moreThe listings have now been combined. You can "buy" it for $0.00 as a Kindle from Amazon--no obligation, in this case. Probably easiest just to search for the title; I don't trust 4-line URLs to work!(less)
Procrastinating Bibliophile You definitely can read this at any point in the series. It contains no spoilers and it explains just about anything that people who haven't read the …moreYou definitely can read this at any point in the series. It contains no spoilers and it explains just about anything that people who haven't read the first book should know. I'd suggest reading it between book one and two, just because that's how chronologically placed. But really, you can read it at any time. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood & Co., #1.5)
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

This was a sweet little read to fill the gaps between books, and it proves more than ever that LUCY SHOULD BE ON THE COVER!

Come on, publishers. Not only is Lucy the main character but she's the most kick ass of the lot. She made it into my top ten book heroines. She puts every other character in this book to shame. She's incredible. And Lockwood is really a barely there character.

Lucy Carlyle once again proved how awesome she is, how brave and fearless and de
sunny
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dont read this at 10 p.m while trying to do a practice regents exam bc guess who won't be able to sleep now and finish that practice exam ??

I grinned back, flushing a little, as I sometimes do when Lockwood trains his smile on me.

i lied. read this and cry with me bc lockwood and lucy are so beautiful. i am literally screaming so quietly. send help

P.S. George Cubbins is the cutest little shit, i love him so much.
Jesica
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars

I’m so excited reading about my favorite psychics agency, Lockwood & co. again ^.^ It set afterThe Screaming Staircase and before The Whispering Skull. It felt a little bit awkward at first. I suppose it’s because it’s a very short story compared to the others so it felt too fast at the beginning or maybe it’s just me, too used to the other new characters in the next three books so it’s kind of weird to see Lockwood & co. without the Skull, Holly, Flo, even Kipps. I almost forgot it u
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun addition to the series!
Bella
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So that was creepy as fuck. WOW! I still can't get over these are kids books. So deliciously scary! ...more
Veronique
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2017, stars-4-0
Set after the events of book 1, this short story was a perfect little ‘taster’. Lucy, George and Lockwood deal with a new case taking them to a school in Hammersmith. It seems a nefarious ‘ghost’ is making a nuisance of himself, scaring the kids and teachers, even attacking the later by throwing knifes. Queue adventure in the cold and dark... The only bad thing about this title was that it was too short! ;0)
RitaSkeeter
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, ya, fantasy
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm always a bit sceptical about bridging short stories/novellas. There are some woeful efforts out there that are nothing more than changing perspective on a scene by writing 'he said' instead of the original 'she said'. But the reason I keep reading them anyway, is there are some true little gems out there - Sarah Maas' efforts are outstanding, as they are standalone, whilst furthering the world building and characterisation.

I digress a little, but my poin
bella farren
3.5 / 5

a good refresher for the second book, didn’t have as much banter between my three favourites as the other books do; but it was a nice little novella.

Lucy and Lockwood is a ship I will go down with and George is the light of my life, I am so obsessed with this series already.

onto the second book!!
nuin giliath
Final rating: 3.5/5

This was a fun and quick read set within the world of Lockwood & Co. It was nice getting to go on another job with the team as I absolutely love these characters. There's nothing spoilery here, but having knowledge of agencies and how they operate would be helpful (although not entirely necessary as any crucial information is provided). The mystery is set up quickly and solved neatly. It does lack the overall charm and excitement that I've come to expect from this series, howe
Frankie Lovely

5 stars

The Story

Lockwood & Co. has been called to investigate a recent disturbance that has terrorized the students and teachers at St Simeon’s Academy for Talented Youngsters.

What I Liked (because let’s face it I’m Lockwood trash and pretty much have nothing bad to say!

Creepy, dark and a little disturbing … and snark (because I'm 100% here for the snark). Basically this novella had all of the Lockwood awesomeness that I am quickly becoming absolute trash for! A great addition to the series and
Mel (Epic Reading)
How is that in only 40 pages Jonathan Stroud can have me looking around my quiet house nervously?
Children’s books should not be this scary, and yet these are; and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I liked this short little story that was all about reminding us of the tricks the team uses to fight ghosts. If you need a quick break from a different book take an ~30 minute break and read this spooky short story.
Audrey
This short story takes place between books 2 and 3 but works fine as a stand-alone regardless of which books you have or have not read. It follows a case of Lockwood & Co. complete with its usual ghosts and creepiness. It’s fun.

Only about half the story is the actual story. The rest is a glossary of ghost types and the first chapter or so of book 3.
Soňa
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heard
honestly how long we need to wait for next book?:-)

but to make this review a bit longer.....
find it interesting as author agreed to write it in parts as pre-halloween fun for children where they can after each chapter decide how the story will evolve by voting.

This as well means that story is not re-writen or re-read by author millions times to perfection but has natural and very action speed :-)

As always main trio is funny and entertain with good portion of chill down the spine when the ghost
Susan
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5*
In this short story, another dangerous case comes along for the young and intrepid ghost busting team of Lockwood & Co.
This time they must investigate a malicious presence in a school, and it's going to take all their skills and equipment to bring this nasty, knife throwing ghoul to heel.

Kribu
A rather nice little short story. Very short though, so not a lot of development of character or plot or such - essentially just a descriptive little story about a regular night's work for Lucy, Lockwood and George (ghost spotted, go on location, fight the ghost, wrap up, go home). ...more
Leah Waters
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I only have one complaint--I wish it was longer.

Every Lockwood and Co. adventure makes me so happy. Who doesn't love teenagers simultaneously bickering and and fighting malicious ghosts?
Lexie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
These characters are just so precious and their interactions are priceless.

Lol, poor Lockwood getting hit in the head with a book. And George and his screaming, oh my gosh that is so funny. And Lucy is just such a good character, such wit and sass.

Go have your celebratory buns guys. You precious souls deserve them, you deserve all the treats in the world.

A fun little read.
Sammm
Review first posted on Feb 17, 2016; edited due to typo

Okay, so I have to thank the person who created the page for this particular edition I'm reviewing on. Normally, who wouldn't want to select an edition with a nice cover? But I'm staying true here: I read the original version, the one that was published ONLINE where people could read it FOR FREE. I'm pretty sure if you Google search it, it'll still show up, but people may think it was some sort of article about the story instead of the actua
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Nice little story about ghost hunting. Not too good, not too bad. Lockwood, Lucy and George go to investigate about a disturbance in a school as the headmaster request them. And they get hunted by the ghost as soon they step inside. Then one thing after another happens. They reach the root of the problem and try to stop the ghost once and for all.

Lovers of ghost stories may find it nice. I would advice them to give it a try. Also at the end of the book there are some photos of different ghosts
Stuti Rai
Feb 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-stories
Basically everything that I disliked about the first novel was more pronounced in this novella. The pattern of behaviors haven't really changed. And the story seems to lose steam just when it need it the most.

Still, I loved the atmosphere.
✶Rachelle✶
Fun little short story to keep me in Lockwood-land as I wait to get the next book

I love these characters <3
Jocelyn
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2018-reads
Too short tho that I find it a bit uneventful but still a nice, quick read to make you want more from Lockwood and his friends. On to the next book then.
Caidyn (he/him/his)
Fun read! It just made me want to reread the series again to get those fun, crazy cases back in my life.
Nighteye
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, single case in a former school, short.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

After solving the puzzle of The Screaming Staircase, our three favorite ghost hunters, Lockwood, Lucy and George, get handed a particularly interesting but potentially deadly case by the headmaster of St. Simeon’s Academy for Talented Youngsters. As usually, the plot is original, has so many surprising twists I can’t count them on two hands, and it holds true to the lore and atmosphere I’ve come to live in the Lockwoo
Rebecca
Update: It's good to be able to read these all in a row, instead of a year apart as they get released. It's easier to remember minor characters who later become important to the plot.

A fun short story available for free on NOOK and the internet. I like these tales about 3 British kids working for a ghost busting agency in a dystopian England where ghouls and ghosties run amuck.

Lots of fun and highly recommended.
Valerie Best
Sep 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Uhhhhh, what? This supposedly takes place between books one and two, but, I honestly don't know where it actually comes from. It speaks to the reader as though information amply given in the first book is completely foreign. Even the opening chapters of the first book don't lay the groundwork as clumsily as this micro-story does.

What I love most about the Lockwood & Co. stories are their cases (the ones independent of the larger story arc), and I was looking forward to reading something freestan
Anna Kalashnikova
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wonder if there are more novellas. Truly enjoyed this one specifically, exploring the haunted boys' academy and catching the "flying" daggers in the air. Lol ...more
Erin Milham
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was just great honestly. No faults whatsoever. I really appreciated the pictures of the different types of ghosts cause I was never able to picture them clearly.
Anastasia
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

It was a fun little novella, an interesting case. I do wish we got a bit more characters, though. Don't know how to explain. Like, more dynamics between them? But it's only a novella, so I'll let it pass. Glad I've read it.

• Parade Hantu Siang Bolong
  • Starting Over
  • Amelia Fang and the Memory Thief
  • Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)
  • Thornbound (The Harwood Spellbook, #2)
  • Apocalypse Kings (Skulduggery Pleasant)
  • Begins
  • Dragon Ball Super, tomo 11
  • Animal Heroes, Band 1: Falkenflügel
  • Întâlnire cu Thomas Cresswell
  • Murder in the Snow: A Cotswold Christmas Mystery
  • Mantan Rasa Gebetan
  • Daughters of the Earth
  • The Screaming Statue (The Curiosity House, #2)
  • Edison's Alley (The Accelerati Trilogy, #2)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Dragon Ball Super, tomo 10
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies

Lockwood & Co. (5 books)
  • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4)
  • The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5)