Start by marking “A Family Apart - Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA” as Want to Read:
A Family Apart - Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA

A Family Apart - Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA

A Family Apart – Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA – A Memoir, is the author’s story from childhood abandonment, through the challenges of an orphanage and adoption, to the transcendence of adult successes and, finally, the quest to discover the mysteries of family origin in a world of sealed adoptions. Along the way, the author uncovers details of a ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 417 pages
Published December 1st 2014 by Greyden Press

Be the first to ask a question about A Family Apart - Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA

Ross Martin
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone searching for their roots, searching for meaning, or thinking about writing a memoir
Recommended to Ross by: Craig A. Steffen
First, a disclaimer: Craig A. Steffen is a decades-long friend, a former roommate, a former boss, and former client. My goal here is to convince you that my five-star review is unsullied by my longtime association with Craig.

Second, read to the end to learn how to get a free* copy of the book on me.

A Family Apart - Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA is a fascinating ride into the methodical quest of an orphan to uncover the truth about his origins. Even more, this book delv
Marjorie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a compelling and down-to-earth story of a man who had been abandoned, along with his older sister and brother, by his family at the tender age of 2 years and his search for the truth of his beginnings. His mother stole the family car and disappeared. His overwhelmed father took the three children to an orphanage. The author and his sister were adopted by the Steffens, but his brother was left behind.

The author’s telling of his journey of discovery is a fascinating one. You’ll read about
Darcee Kraus
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this novel in the First Read's giveaway! I was so excited to receive and had the pleasure of thoroughly enjoying Craig Steffen's ideas, research and thoughts on the topic of families. I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone and everyone, even if these topics are not an active part of your life you will become more knowledgeable about people and how the world works in other's every-day life.
Cindy K.
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book Clubs
Shelves: memoir
We read this adoption memoir in our book group and everyone was touched by it. The author writes very movingly from his heart about his journey to find his origins. But there are also elements of murder, mystery and mayhem. If you have been adopted, this book will resonate. It would be a great book for adoption or ancestry groups to read together.
Debra Hanby
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading this book! I have the pleasure of knowing Craig personally so it was an amazing journey through his life to understand what makes him the Craig I know. Even though I can't relate to some of his experiences it forced me to question my own life and gain insights that have been personally helpful to me. Slow down and read this book to look within your own life of what makes you You. Thanks for a great book, Craig.
Julie Haigh
Fascinating, moving, and memorable.

'A Family Apart: Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abandonment, Adoption and DNA' was a wonderful read. I was very much interested in the investigating part. The idea of a possible crime in the book and finding some answers through DNA testing etc.

Craig and his siblings were abandoned at a very young age. Their young mother suddenly disappeared and their father also abandoned them shortly after. They ended up in an orphanage and were fostered and then adopted. Craig
Julius McCarter
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Craig Steffen's A Family Apart: Sleuthing the Mysteries of Abadonment, Adoption and DNA is a gripping tale of the methodical quest of an orphan to uncover the truth about his origins. What's more, this book delves into the questions that come from being uncertain about the realities of personal history -- what is true and what is convenient folklore passing for truth in order to protect reputations or preserve innocence.

From his earliest memories of holding his pen, Steffen's memoir recounts the
Kate Benesch
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Craig Steffen’s memoir — A Family Apart — is truly one of those reads where I say “you can’t believe this is non-fiction.” Steffen’s unfolding of his life beginning with “the disappearance” of his mother and her abandonment of three children left with a father unwilling to care and taken to an orphanage. Steffen and his sister are adopted as very young children and their brother is left behind….so much mystery and unanswered questions. The reader is drawn in immediately by the writing style whic ...more
Mariejkt
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on adoption. The author sets out to find his birth family even if the details are on the not so clean cut side. We discover what happend to his young birth mother to the long search on to find his father. The author never gave up no matter what obstacles he would find. It is also a reminder that we need to not gloss over the truth as trying to do that can be hurtful. Why do I say that with this book as when you learn the story of his mother's demise you find out that some try t ...more
Jason Stanley
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Craig A. Steffen's memoir is an incredible journey of discovering the truth of his origins. From abandonment to adoption. He raises questions and seeks to find the answers. He tells the story in a different way, as he discovers it himself, which makes for an interesting read. And what makes this memoir stand apart from the others.

Steffen's storytelling is compelling and moving.
Helen
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great story close to my heart. The author was relentless and left no stone unturned searching for his truth. I deducted one star because the editing could have been better and the science was not explained well, which is a pity as it is a great medium for educating others searching for their birth parents.
Meg
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good read! The author, adopted at the age of 2, shares his exploration of his biological roots and his encounters with people who help him in his journey.
Peggy Vespestad
Aug 22, 2016
Aileen rankin
Jan 07, 2015
Craig Steffen
Nov 23, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Marsha Guttau
Christine Hatfield
Barbara Tobey
  • Stranded in the Seychelles
  • Paw Prints In Oman: Dogs, Mogs and Me
  • Tuna on Toast, Sister Clotildis, UFOs and Other Things I Survived: Growing Up in the '70s in Portland
  • The Wrong Shade of Yellow
  • Good Morning Diego Garcia (Journeys #2)
  • Midwife: A Calling
  • The Diary of a Single Parent Abroad
  • With Angel's Wings
  • One Young Fool in Dorset
  • Of Foreign Build: From Corporate Girl to Sea-Gypsy Woman
  • From Tours to Paris (French Illusions Book 2)
  • Naked: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina
  • Journey to a Dream (The Journey, #1)
  • Inadmissible
  • Even More Ketchup than Salsa: The Final Dollop (More Ketchup, #2)
  • Best Foot Forward
  • Fourteen: A Daughter's Memoir of Adventure, Sailing, and Survival
  • My Grape Year (The Grape Series #1)
Craig A. Steffen lives near Dayton, Ohio with his wife of 30 years, Cindy and their rambunctious German Shepherd, Cyon. They spend a good deal of time in the woods of Adams County, Ohio at their retreat property, Prairie Pond Woods, showing hospitality to guests and their many dear friends.

As you’ll learn within the pages of this book, Craig believes that life is an adventure, not a destination. I