Start by marking “Priya's Shakti” as Want to Read:
Priya's Shakti

Priya's Shakti

(Priya's Shakti #1)

A mortal woman and the Goddess Parvati fight against sexual violence in India and around the world in this vivid epic augmented reality comic book involving the Lord Shiva and the gods. Received the Tribeca Film Institute New Media Fund from Ford Foundation for innovation and social impact.
Published December 1st 2014 by Rattapallax (first published November 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Priya's Shakti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Priya's Shakti

Start your review of Priya's Shakti
Anusha Narasimhan
I loved the message and the art. You don't see a comic on rape often. The way Priya urges people to "speak without shame" is a much needed mindset.

What I didn't like was the diversion from the topic at hand. I really didn't want to read about the Gods and their reactions as much as I wanted to read about what the victim goes through.

It is a 32 page comic, so it does feel rushed. I would still give this one 4 stars for the attempt and the topic. Highly recommended!
Suvi
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
The topic is extremely important, that goes without saying, and the concept of the comic is very much appreciated. I just felt that the execution could have been better. The art is wonderfully vibrant and colourful, but the story itself is much too rushed and feels superficial and crushed underneath the heavy message.
Anna Kļaviņa
2,5

The art and the idea behind the story is awesome. But why ignore that some rapists are women and that there are men who survived rape?

I'm not sure about religious part, seemed a bit odd that the gods didn't notice/care about injustice & violence before.

Available for FREE

Christine
It's an interesting concept. I'm not sure how I feel about the war in the heavens idea, but the whole use of gender violence was very well done.
Andréa
The artwork is excellent -- it combines photo (or photorealistic) backgrounds/settings with illustrated characters, to a wonderful effect. The illustrations themselves are beautiful (and appropriately scary at times). I particularly liked that the panels were not traditional rectangular or sharp-edged panels, but instead had curved edges and more of a smooth flow to them.

The subject may be a bit triggering, or at least upsetting, for some people, but it's an important topic that I'm
Cathleen
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women, comics
My favorite literature is the kind that does something more than entertain. It moves me, or makes me think, or, as in the case of Priya's Shakti, it seeks to effect change. This short comic addresses rape specifically and the denigration of women generally. Set in India, we meet Priya, a young woman denied education by her father, gang raped by a group of men, and shunned by her family. With the help of goddess Parvati, Priya regains power over her life and helps change people's perceptions of w ...more
Rachel
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love that this is something being written about and distributed freely to the public. I'm still a literary nut and wasn't crazy about the way it was written and some other trivial aspects (trivial compared to the larger overall theme and message to the story)
Busskami
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a great project and I hope that it gives a lot of hope and courage to women all over the world!
There really should be room for change instead of shame!
Ryan
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully drawn story of power, justice, and equality.
Nisha
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I am absolutely 100% on board with the message of this story. I love the art, I love the message, I just wish there was a little bit more plot. It seemed very rushed, more like a summary than anything else. This could be even better with both plot and character development.

I would have liked to see more of Priya's journey, including more of how she grew up, what he life was like and how things changed after the violence she experienced. This was all included but in flashes that are o
Kristin Lansdown
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art in this was gorgeous which was a harsh juxtaposition to the subject matter. I'm not sure I even read the description for this book, I probably saw the cover, saw it was free on Comixology and went for it. It's about battling rape culture in India and touches on Gods and Goddesses. I thought it was very well done, a little bit sad, informational as far as learning about different religions, and even a little hopeful.
Bradley Farless
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-epic, comics
2 stars for the story. I don’t know who thought using real pictures as a backdrop for comic book drawn characters was a good idea, but it looks terrible, like some B-grade BS you would see on late night MTV in the 90s.
Bella
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expecting more

It is a fact that violence against minorities is increasing in India. Sad part is victims are blamed and abandoned while criminals walk freely. This book speak against the violence faced by women. Well written and illustrated. But need more detailing and more depth.
Jasmine
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It had the makings of a really compelling longer story. But it opened my eyes (and readers) that change begins with people on the ground, not with policy makers.
Ranjana
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
A beautifully themed and illustrated comic book on stopping violence against women in India
Cynthia
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was too simplistic and superficial to be any good, as well as not really centering the experiences of women. I added an extra star for the "necessity" and "boldness" of the topic.
Rachel
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultural, ebook, graphic, owned
Ram was in India when the 23 year old girl known as Nirbhaya was gang raped by 4 men and killed. Priya’s Shakti is a reaction to what he saw in the aftermath of this terrible rape. Many men blamed women for being raped because of how they dressed and acted. This led to a deeper problem with how women are seen and treated in India.

The comic focuses on Priya, she is told she can’t go to school to become a teacher and her responsibility is to care for the house. She is harassed and rape
Wonderish
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Being raised in a hippie-ish commune in the early 80's, I grew up reading Amar Chitra Katha comic books often about the lives and adventures of Hindu gods. I was obsessed with these brightly colored, highly detailed tales of power, revenge and spirituality. When I put a name to the divine, which doesn't happen often, it is still god and goddess like I learned from all those books.

This book brings back all of those wonderful memories in a blazing, glorious color. It also makes equality a divine
Claire
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-justice
This comic deals with the heavy issue of rape and sexual violence in India, and more specifically, how victims are shamed instead of supported when they do come forward. A rape victim named Priya prays to the goddess Parvati, who helps her take up this cause and spread the word so that victims will not be shamed anymore.

The vibrant colors and excellent composition make this even more of a joy to read. It includes "Augmented Reality" content that is available through an app, and encourages shari
Tabitha
As far as origin stories go, I'm not the best judge since I don't read many superhero comics. HOWEVER, I like a bit of righteous anger and vengeful gods in my literature. The depiction of Kali was fantastically intimidating, very effective. The tone of the story shifted kind of strangely between rage and forgiveness. I don't know if that was meant to mimic a process of healing that some women experience, or if the authors just changed their minds halfway, or maybe the gods are supposed to be in ...more
Abhinav
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Despite looking like a very simple and child-appealing look, this is not just your ordinary book of adventures of a weak protagonist who becomes strong through divine intervention. Addressing a very sensitive issue requires an equally subtle approach when catering to the younger generations. Devineni has done a good job in this aspect. I hope that he comes out with more similar works in the genre and topic. Hopefully this will bring about a change in the younger generation.
lesley
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Priya’s Shakti Issue #1: an amazingly illustrated comic that promotes gender equality, equal rights activism, and has a female survivor of assault as the activist hero. Indian authors beautifully evoke the Hindu pantheon and provide a hopeful and inspiring, interactive experience… And it’s FREE on www.comixology.com.

So proud of and grateful for this comic. “If it’s not accessible to the poor it’s not truly radical.”
Priya Bhakta
I feel like this was a noble premise poorly executed. Had the gods been limited to Shiva and Parvati it might have worked but I feel that using all the gods took away from the major issue in what is a very short story.
Alexander Cutler
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and Sympathetic

Consider reading this graphic novel from a center of gender-based violence in our world. Great works are being done in service to feminist and sexual equality. I would classify this as a fine edition to that library of work.
Mariam
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
#STANDWITHPRIYA
Jess
Important and beautifully drawn.
McKenzie Richardson
Beautiful and powerful. An amazing piece of work. Interesting story and important message.
Shelley Schanfield
I so wanted to like this, but the art was not to my taste, and the story was too rushed.
Becky
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Such a crucial message, and conveyed with intensity and beauty in this format. Available for free at http://www.priyashakti.com/
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great Initiative!
Read for a cause.

• The Dirty Coven (Hannah Hickok Witchy Mystery, #1)
  • After Nature
  • Epistulae
  • The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Representations of the Intellectual
  • Mostly Void, Partially Stars (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #1)
  • The Buying of Lot 37 (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #3)
  • Who's a Good Boy? (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes #4)
  • The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #2)
  • Niko and the Sword of Light (Niko and the Sword of Light, #1)
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • Deadly Spells and a Southern Belle (Southern Belles and Spells Matchmaker Mystery, #1)
  • Only The Lost (Death Gate Grim Reapers Thriller, #3)
  • Cursed Brides and Alibis (Southern Belles and Spells Matchmaker Mystery, #2)
  • Southern Wishes (Sweet Tea Witch Mysteries #14)
  • Six Ways to Spellday (Western Woods #6)
  • Seven Year Witch (Western Woods Mystery Book 7)

Priya's Shakti (2 books)