Start by marking “Toddlers Are A**holes: It's Not Your Fault” as Want to Read:
Toddlers Are A**holes: It's Not Your Fault

Toddlers Are A**holes: It's Not Your Fault

Toddler a**holery is a normal part of human development—not unlike puberty, except this stage involves throwing food on the floor and taking swings at people who pay your way in life. For parents of toddlers, it's a "you better laugh so you don't cry" period.

Bunmi Laditan's hilarious, satirical guide to toddlerhood offers parents instant (and very welcome) comic relief—al
Published April 7th 2015 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Toddlers Are A**holes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddlers Are A**holes

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Really funny, really relatable read for all parents. Sure, it's over-the-top, but when you are in the thick of it, an honest voice is a godsend.

Okay, this book is clearly meant to be satire, people. I've followed this author for a very long time and she loves her kids... a lot. Just parenting is sometimes the best and worst thing in the world, often at the same time. Bunmi Laditan gets it.

Starting my week of reading all black authors with this one!

(ppst- this on is on sale right now for only
meghann
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book and just had to buy it for my friend. I'll give it to her at Christmas since her little one will just be entering her toddler years at this time. This book is written with 100% our sense of humor. There is so much cussing, and toddlers are often described as sociopaths whose mission in life is to destroy your soul. If you think your child is a miracle to be cherished, this book isn't for you. Its main intention is to normalize how horrible this time is and reinforce that it's not ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, humor
A successful book need not be great; it must merely arrive at the proper time. In this case, the proper time is when your toddler is sending you bats**t insane.

Yes, it's over the top in places, and there's a whole series of slacker parent jokes that are a bit heavy handed. But between the humor there's some serious reminders that toddlers really don't understand you have a separate existence, and they really have no idea that waiting will not kill them or that the suspicious looking piece of fo
R
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
8 year old: what does that mean "toddlers are a-holes"?
Me: airholes. You know, what you breathe out of. Like nostrils. That's why the kid has a crayon in his nose.
8 year old: But what does it really mean?

Such a fun, laugh out loud book, with so many relatable moments!
Erica Harriman
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!! I swear this this was written specifically about me and my child. I'm going to make Daddy read it because he doesn't understand toddlers and often thinks we may have given birth to a psychopath. No honey, he's just a toddler.
Adam
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Yep
Mehsi
A funny, honest, snarky, sarcastic, OMG-did-she-really-say-that? book about toddlers. Toddlers are assholes. I don't have kids myself, but I still know that toddlers are evil. :P So I had lots of fun reading this book. From clothes to parties to potty training to sex life with a toddler running and screaming around you to mealtime to well everything else. Did I mention wine or alcohol, a very important staple to survive toddlerhood. This book is full to the brim with everything about toddlers. T ...more
Katie Reus
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! My pre-parent self would probably be horrified reading this but after living through toddler-hood... I can appreciate the exaggeration of this book. Soooo funny and spot on about just how tough it can be when your kid is in the toddler stage. The chapter about a$$hole parents is brilliant too.
Lisa
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read. It's hilarious and honest, and makes me feel a teeny bit more sane.
Madison
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
I love the Honest Toddler and follow Bunmi on FB. Her humor makes me smile as I grit my teeth and make it through rough moments with my toddlers. But this book has a lot of swearing and feels too angry at times. Yes toddlers are jerks and small terrorists. But they are also fun and a learning adventure. Read the book in small chunks and not in a marathon read.
Shannon
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for exhausted toddler parents

Ok, this book is the real deal. If you're offended by swear words, calling toddlers a**holes, or real REAL talk about how your hygiene and sex life takes a nose dive when you have a toddler, steer clear. But if you've had it up to HERE, are sleep deprived, might jump off a cliff if you don't learn how to laugh about all the ridiculous stuff your toddler does, please read this book. And laugh. Laugh very hard.
Paula Lee Johnson
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous

Seriously. I and my husband enjoyed every word written.
Not only do I recommend you get this book, if you have a toddler (and a sense of humor), but I also think you should get one for a friend, if they have or will have a toddler soon.
It should be a required present for the parent(s) of a child who just recently turned one.
Get the kid a present, and get the parents one too! (A copy of this book). Because after reading it, you will not be loaning yours out. You will be keeping your copy
Melody
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't have children, but I do have a toddler niece and I used to teach preschool, so I could relate a lot to this book, lol. Like, the stuff you'd never thought you'd say: There's nothing in the bathroom trash for you. Yes! My niece loves to dig into my trash! What is it with toddlers and bathroom trash? LOL

I think I'll pass this book on to my sister now. She and her husband, as parents of the toddler, will probably relate to this book in even more ways than I can. Potty training has just star
Tiff (fictionaltiff)
Wow!! This is the best book on toddlers I've ever read! At the end of the day, it's always good to get a laugh out of the stuff we go through as parents, and it is OKAY to complain about things instead of pretending life is perfect. Because if we don't talk through the hard times in life, we feel lonely and life seems even harder than before. And raising children is hard. It's REALLY hard, and it's okay to admit it.

This book is a fun, quick read that is over the top and completely sarcastic (an
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed. You'll laugh. I may have laughed as hard as I did because there have been days, many, many long days, where if a pack of gypsies came by, I would literally hold my littlest out and say, "How much for this one?" And then, possibly counter with, "No, what do you want me to give you!?" If you don't laugh, you never had kids. Or are a sanctiparent and need to study the Sanctiparent Responses at the end of each chapter. Study them.
Jenny
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is the only book my doctor has recommended. And I wasn't even in there to talk about my toddler! Ha! Laughed till I cried and I love to pull it out on hard days. the
Honest Toddler Facebook page is also hilarious. The how to make toddler toast video is my living version of Bill Murray's Groundhog Day.
Olivia Briscoe
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious

Bunmi is hysterical. The way she writes is so relatable and her comedic delivery is spot on. If you need a good laugh; aren't afraid of some bad language; and want to feel like you had a mommy date with the funniest chick on the block; read this book!
Bunny
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-17
A toddler is a cross between a sociopath, a rabid animal, a cocker spaniel, a demon, and an angel. Depending on the time of day and when your toddler's last meal was, you will see all of these sides.

Y'all. I cannot stress enough how much everyone I am friends with needs to read this book.

The mothers. The child free by choicers. The grandmothers. ESPECIALLY the grandmothers.

This is validation. This is warning label. This is "bwa ha ha ha ha I AM SO HAPPY TO NOT HAVE KIDS BRING ON THE MARGARITAS
Danielle Messier
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: physically-own
I DNFed this at 70 pages. The humor was great and over the top but honestly I just found myself not wanting to pick this up. I’d read a little at a time then not want to continue. I think I would enjoy following the author on social media and reading sections of the book in a post. I can see why people love this and appreciate it but it just isn’t for me. It wasn’t that I was offended by the humor or couldn’t handle the language, but more so that I don’t think I can enjoy humor like this in a bo ...more
Jennifer Varnell
Overall the book was ok, however I was turned off most of the time by the author's 'potty' mouth and the fact that it seemed like she was trying really hard to be funny. Obviously having children isn't an easy task and as parents we have a lot of material to poke fun of our kids or life...I was expecting more of that narrative versus the totally over-the-top, unbelievable stories/examples that were given by the author.
Nicole
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I completely misunderstood what this book was going to be like. I pretty much skimmed through the whole thing in 30 minutes. Obviously it's loved by many (based on ratings), but it's not my cup of tea. I was looking for something helpful, not comedic. Again, my bad for misunderstanding the point of the book when I checked it out at the library.
Cassidy (Cassidys.Bookshelf)
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-2018
5/5 glowing stars! Any parent of a toddler that has a sense of humor will get a kick out of this book. It's not meant to be taken seriously - it's meant to make you not feel so alone in the toddler stage and so you don't completely lose your sh!t.
Whitney
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Equally funny as it is terrifying. It’s obviously super extreme for humor sake, but I found myself trying to read parts out loud to my husband and was laughing/ crying so hard I couldn’t even get the words out
Rachel
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: raising-kids
Hilarious!
Rachel
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you have a sense of humor and don’t mind (lots of) swear words, then read and enjoy. SO hilarious and so relatable!
Julie Wachtenheim
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading it after winning a hard fought bedtime battle is perfect. Balm for the soul.
Amy Laymon
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! This book makes me feel so much better about toddlerhood. It was pretty vulgar at times, but you just have to laugh and go on. My favorite part was the last couple of sentences: “you know what’s hard? Even harder than dealing with toddlers? Pretending it’s not hard.” Amen!
Jessica Potts
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this all in one day because it was so outrageously funny and accurate. Sometimes it tries too hard, but I don't even care because just knowing that other people feel your toddler pain makes it brilliant. Thank you Bunmi Laditan for putting it all out there.
Helen Jiang
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had me laughing out loud!

So funny. Easy read, relatable but also hilarious, and puts things in perspective. Most importantly, made me feel less alone as a parent.
Julie Reinken
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical!
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
  • Daddy, Stop Talking! And Other Things My Kids Want But Won't Be Getting
  • Marriage Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
  • The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting
  • Breeding in Captivity: One Woman's Unusual Path to Motherhood
  • No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
  • More Sand in My Bra: Funny Women Write from the Road, Again!
  • Carried in Our Hearts: The Gift of Adoption: Inspiring Stories of Families Created Across Continents
  • You Have to Fucking Eat
  • Strong and Kind: And Other Important Character Traits Your Child Needs to Succeed
  • How to Have Your Second Child First: 100 Things That Are Good to Know... the First Time Around
  • Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary
  • Does Anybody Have a Problem With That? The Best of Politically Incorrect
  • Really Important Stuff My Cat Has Taught Me
  • Quotations from Chairman Trump
  • Toddlers Are A**holes: It's Not Your Fault
  • Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language
Bunmi Laditan is a contributor to Parenting.com, Mothering.com, iVillage.com, and The Huffington Post. She lives with her family outside of Montreal. The Honest Toddler is based on her youngest child. Not potty trained, not trying, HT enjoys attention, cake, television, running & games.
“Parents love bathtime because it means that bedtime is near. To prepare your darling for her bath, put on your full-length poncho, because toddlers don’t bathe, they splash, motherfucker. When toddlers bathe, they act like they’re a junior member of the summer Olympics diving team. Get ready. By the time you’re done, your bathroom floor will have a few inches of standing water. The good news is that wiping up all that water counts as mopping the floor.” 6 likes
“Raising kids is hard and raising toddlers feels IMPOSSIBLE most of the time. We all wonder if we’re fucking it up, so why not just be honest? The kind of people parents need in their lives are the ones they can call to come over for a drink and to bitch about their day while their kids play on the floor. You should be able to say, “Hey, toddlers are assholes,” without them getting their panties in a wad. You should be able to say, “I hate my fucking family sometimes” and “Cooking dinner sucks ass.” Fuck all this perfectionist, gratitude-out-the-ass bullshit. It’s okay to say it sucks when it sucks. Yes, there are people in the world who have it so much worse, but does that mean we can’t let off some steam? Of course not. You know what’s hard? Even harder than dealing with toddlers? Pretending it’s not hard.” 5 likes