Start by marking “Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes” as Want to Read:
Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes

Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes

(TED Books #6)

A powerful manifesto for CEOs and employees alike: Influential and award-winning business leader Margaret Heffernan reveals how organizations can build ideal workplace cultures and create seismic shifts by making deceptively small changes.

By implementing sweeping changes, businesses often think it’s possible to do better, to earn more, and have happier employees. So why
Published May 5th 2015 by Simon Schuster/ TED (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Measure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Measure

The Laws of Medicine by Siddhartha MukherjeeWhy We Work by Barry SchwartzThe Mathematics of Love by Hannah FryBeyond Measure by Margaret HeffernanThe Art of Stillness by Pico Iyer
TED originals
21 books — 8 voters
Quiet by Susan CainEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertDaring Greatly by Brené BrownThe Last Lecture by Randy PauschThe Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown
books from TED
92 books — 368 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
Laila
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-nonficion, 2015
Read for work, interesting although it's a bit worrying corporate people need this stuff spelled out for them ;). Like lessons in being a human for robots. Or I guess a reminder of being human in capitalism, hehe.
Jonathan  McGaha
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I were to measure how much I like a book by how many tiny little bookmarks of torn paper I've tucked into its pages so I can easily find something again at some unforeseen point in the future, this would probably be considered a favorite.

Every few pages, there's another example of (often counter-intuitive) ways of improving an organization of people. This tiny book is just packed with real-world examples, and they're so frequent and diverse that I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a setting in
Jeremy J
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
"We measure everything at work except what counts. Numbers are comforting - income, expenditure, productivity, engagement, staff turnover - and create an illusion of control. But when you're confronted by spectacular success or failure, everyone from the CEO to the janitor points in the same direction: the culture."

There it is. There's the worst opening to a book I've ever read. It struck me as so silly and incorrect that I almost put the book down immediately, but I continued on so that I could
Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Good concepts in here, but I found it hard to actually internalise this enough to remember it and therefore apply any of the concepts at work.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You want change in your organization... this books offers a lot of insights... that beyond measure...
Ioana
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was recently speaking to a colleague about the different contradictions and interpretations at the workplace, for example crunch time vs. find time to gather your thoughts. It was also very interesting reading about the millions that just a coffee break with the team can make for the company! It's a book that I can see speaking to a large variety of people, regardless of industry, even though most references are software-focused.
Jane
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is really a good thought provoking book. It does not give quick fix like many other books but focuses on possible long term plan that can really help change organisation. It is really easy to read and understand.
Steve
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick read that presented some ideas to think about.
Jenny
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Her style is not my thing, I guess -which is totally fine. I have read many things on this topic and I'm moving on....
Natalia
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
NOTES

1. Creative Conflict
* we fear our own emotions and those of others, so we develop habits to avoid arguments, we obscure distinctive aspects of our personality, passions and values at work ("covering"). We spend so much time avoiding conflicts, that we fail to move ideas forward.
* a creative conflict requires a variety of personalities, backgrounds, attitudes, and thinking styles. What is stopping use from achieving a creative conflict is biases we have, e.g., similarity bias (we prefer
Niels Philbert
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It's not a great book. It's just a bit too short - or too long. I am totally onboard with the idea of the small things we do everyday, changes the big things in life. So the message is solid and there are some good anecdotes. It's more a matter of the format. It reads like a stretched article - or a book, that should have had more research and effort. It's a thing around the TED books, in my experience.

It's so short, that you should just read it - or listen to it. You will find something to
Devin Bostick
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short anecdotal (and nice Sunday morning reflection) on the structures and functions of human groups on their impact on product success. Useful tidbits such as individual freedom through corporate structure to innovate. Interesting to reflect on what i would argue as bureaucracy (such as forced water cooler talk or hours worked) as methods of innovation. I think the book could talk about the price of different methods. It’s one thing to offer solutions when there’s funding, quite another to be ...more
Nadya Ichinomiya
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short book (less than 3 hours on audiobook) but I really enjoyed how concentrated and pithy it was. Especially loved that it was read by the author, who I have been following since listening to her TED talks earlier this year on the importance of speaking up (Dare to Disagree) and the critical nature of teamwork/collaboration ("Forget the Pecking Order at Work" - no super chickens, LOL!)

If you're interested in her TED videos, the link is above.
Glenn Elliott
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly wonderful book about social cohesion - the friendships and relationships in a company that enable people to get great work done. I've read this book twice and bought dozens of copies for people. My personal copy is full of notes and tape flags, there is barely a page in it that is not full of practical insight.
Michelle
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting, quick, listen about some small or small some large changes you can make to improve your business. What I enjoyed was that the author didn't provide one solution but sometimes even contradictory; be quiet and listen or be a leader and speak up. Seeing the two sides to each and how they work was a good comparison.
Elizabeth
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: womens-studies, women
Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes (Hardcover)
by Margaret Heffernan

ordered from the library to get the reference to William Muir's work on chicken pecking
Kandachamy Vijayakumaran
A very interesting book drawing insights from a large number of studies and innovative practices from many successful companies. Small changes can really bring about remarkably large benefits. But how we can bring changes in government run organization built on rigid hierarchies is my predicament.
Andrew Braye
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Lived experience meets systems thinking meets behavior change means organizational dynamics meets phycological safety meets atomic habits meets 80/ 20.

Practical advice. .
Principles and Processes to practice.
Purpose to grow towards.
Mala Ashok
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
The reasons I chose to read this book were that I like TED books and the title was intriguing. However, I was disappointed on both counts. This book wasn't as good as usual TED books and the book didn't live up to its billing of talking about small changes making big impacts.
Albert
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Most of it seems common-sense to me: communicate, be social, be open-minded, no hierarchies. I disagree with the pitch that anyone "from the CEO to the janitor" can implement these changes. You still need some power to put things in motion.
Drew Clancy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend. Great summary of many of the key concepts that drive a great workplace culture.
Chuck
Did not grab my attention.
Lori
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these little TED books!
Ria Jordan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy read to get your mind churning.
Jordan
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Having read a number of self help / leadership books, I do buy into the concepts the author is trying to get at. Short and concise read.
Lukáš Horák
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of great thoughts about company culture in such small book. I was really excited when reading the book, because I'm interested in that topic, and it satisfied my expectations.
Brendan
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phd
Great examples of the impacts of small changes in a variety of settings. This was a helpful reminder that the small things make a difference.
Atticus
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Would’ve given 4-5 stars if not for the obliviousness surrounding comments like “EVEN the janitor”
Saber Khosravi
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful
Ľuboš Ľahký
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
easy to read, made me think

• What It Takes: Lessons in the Pursuit of Excellence
  • Duygusal Zeka - Mindfulness
  • How To Understand And Use Design And Layout
  • Project Management for the Unofficial Project Manager
  • Unlocking Potential: 7 Coaching Skills That Transform Individuals, Teams, and Organizations
  • Five Gentlemen of Japan: The Portrait of a Nation's Character (D'Asia Vu Reprint Library) (D'asia Vu Reprint Library (Series).)
  • Truth Facts: The Truthiest Truths and Factiest Facts of Everyday Life
  • Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Move Forward
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • Mind Over Mind: The Surprising Power of Expectations
  • This Is Your Brain on Depression: Creating a Path to Getting Better
  • The Formula: The Universal Laws of Success
  • How to Survive Change . . . You Didn't Ask For: Bounce Back, Find Calm in Chaos, and Reinvent Yourself
  • The Wonder Book of Bible Stories
  • Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter
  • Mastering Leadership: An Integrated Framework for Breakthrough Performance and Extraordinary Business Results
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • Bạch Thái Bưởi - Khẳng định doanh tài nước Việt
MARGARET HEFFERNAN is an entrepreneur, Chief Executive and author. She was born in Texas, raised in Holland and educated at Cambridge University. She worked in BBC Radio for five years where she wrote, directed, produced and commissioned dozens of documentaries and dramas.

As a television producer, she made documentary films for Timewatch, Arena, and Newsnight. She was one of the producers of Out

TED Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Terrorist's Son: A Story of Choice
  • The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
  • The Mathematics of Love: Patterns, Proofs, and the Search for the Ultimate Equation
  • The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings
  • Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More
  • Judge This
  • How We'll Live on Mars
  • Why We Work
  • The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science
  • The Boiling River: Adventure and Discovery in the Amazon
“Questions are the heart and soul of constructive conflict. They open up the exploration, bring in new information, and reframe debate. When” 0 likes
“Reading fiction—excerpts from National Book Award finalists, winners of the Pen/O. Henry Prize for short stories, or even Amazon bestsellers—has been shown to enhance theory of mind:” 0 likes