Start by marking “Danger in Ancient Rome (Ranger in Time, #2)” as Want to Read:
Danger in Ancient Rome (Ranger in Time, #2)

Danger in Ancient Rome

(Ranger in Time #2)

Ranger, the time-traveling golden retriever, is back for the second book in Kate Messner's new chapter book series. This time, he's off to save the day in ancient Rome!

Ranger is a golden retriever who has been trained as a search-and-rescue dog. In this adventure, Ranger travels to the Colosseum in ancient Rome, where there are gladiator fights and wild animal hunts! Range
Published June 30th 2015 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Danger in Ancient Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danger in Ancient Rome

Start your review of Danger in Ancient Rome (Ranger in Time, #2)
Ms. Yingling
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss

Ranger is watching soccer with Sadie and Luke when he notices his metal first aid box humming. As he was in Danger on the Oregon Trail, Ranger is transported back in time... this time to ancient Rome. In the Colosseum, he runs into Marcus, and eleven-year-old slave who was sold to Villius, the owner of the Ludus Magnus gladiatorial school, to pay the debts of his parents, who perished in a fire. Marcus is accompanying new gladiator Quintus, and the two have wandered into the
Mary Lee
Ranger is called again, this time to Ancient Rome. The descriptions of the Colosseum and the life of a gladiator are amazing! Another fabulous addition to this series!
Christine Salek
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
SNITCHING AND CHEATING AND LOOKING UP TO DICTATORS IS NOT GLADIATOR BEHAVIOR
Jan
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This one seemed a bit light compared to the first book. Kids will learn a lot about gladiators and ancient Rome, plus the author's notes, pictures, and glossary in the back are an added bonus. It's also a kid friendly version of what really happened to all those gladiators, slaves, and animals in the coliseum, as the actual truth would surely be the stuff that nightmares are made of. That said, I'm sure they will enjoy this one just as much as the first book. But I thought everything got tied up ...more
Kari
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, school
This series is such a great way to introduce kids to history they may never have encountered at a young age. Gladiators , arenas, everything Ancient Rome.
Emily Traasdahl
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good dog book.
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I can't deny there's an interesting story here. A young Roman boy is indentured to a gladiator school. No, let's be accurate. He is a slave. He and another older slave and struggling to succeed within the brutal world of gladiators. The old man, Quintus, must soon face his first fight, which may well end in his death. Incidentally, both Marcus (the boy) and Quintus are orphans. This seems to be a common theme in Messner's books.

Don't be fooled by the cutesy cover and the time-traveling dog them
Charlotte
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is more of a 3.5.
Rachel Placchetti
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidlit
Genre: Historical fiction/adventure
Themes: gladiators, ancient Rome, dogs, time travel

Ranger, a sweet family dog trained in search and rescue, travels through time to aid a young Roman slave and his gladiator friend. Glosses over the nastier bits of Roman and gladiator life, making this gruesome topic a bit more appropriate for younger school-age children as well as middle grade.
The Styling Librarian
Ranger in Time #2: Danger in Ancient Rome by Kate Messner - Historical Fiction/Adventure – Great follow up to the original story. Will share thoughts close to the release date – June 30th, 2015
Erin *BookDragonLibrary*
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a good solid series with wide appeal to kids who like the time travel element of Magic Tree House and kids to like books with animals. Loveable and helpful Ranger (golden retriever) makes a great star character. There was enough backstory given to understand this book on its own but I think it would be helpful to read the first in the series just to get the full chapter of him digging up the magic first aid kit which is his time travel tool. I can predict the consistency of getting to br ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Danger in Ancient Rome (Ranger in Time #2) by Kate Messner, 129 pgs. CHAPTER BOOK. Scholastic, 2015. $12.

Content: PG (Some sense of impending danger)

BUYING ADVISORY -- EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL -- HIGH

Ranger is a trained search-and-rescue dog who goes back in time to help people in danger. In this episode, he has traveled to ancient Rome, where he ends up with boys training in a gladiator school. Danger is everywhere, but what is Ranger's exact task? And will he find out in time?

This is a su
zapkode
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – Ranger gets to go on an all new time-traveling adventure to Ancient Rome. I am one of those people that enjoy anything and everything about Rome so I was looking forward to a nice fast and quick read.

Ranger hear’s the buzzing sound from the old first aid kit and the next thing he knows he is in Ancient Rome. He now gets to hang out with Marcus and Quintus. Marcus is more or less a slave and it becomes his job to train Quintus so that he will be able to fight in the next battle at
Tara Ethridge
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very engaging series for elementary where the dog, Ranger, goes back in time to help someone in need. This time, it was Ancient Rome and the gladiators. Loved that this book is historical fiction but also pretty intense with the accurate information—fighting, blood, and the fear of a young gladiator will definitely be a hit with tons of readers. Can’t wait to get this in kids’ hands when school starts again.
Robyn
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
My kids and I generally like this series. This book, though, is different. It made the gladiatorial games of ancient Rome seem like fun, the violent fighting something praiseworthy, giving your life in a fight as a way to attain glory. This book does not align with the values I want to teach my children. It is possible to teach accurate history without glorifying violence.
Heather
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the historical fiction and photos of author in Rome.

My seven year old really liked this story. His favourite part was the gladiator battle. I enjoyed reading a story that reminded me of stories !y dad used to tell about ancient Rome.
Atlantis
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
A bit farcical but an interesting mix of time travel and learning about ancient history. Written I think with the idea of engaging young readers who love dogs to learn more about history. Some good facts but they are mixed in with some contrived ideas.
Viktoria Cox
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Again Messner did a great job with Ranger. I love the truth behind her historical fiction. I have not read many stories that approach the life of a gladiator. She did it well. I look forward to more of these books. (Read aloud to my two first graders).
Kelly Jahng
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cute, and a good introduction to part of Roman culture. It’s tough to make gladiators palatable for kids, but Messner handles it well. I like Ranger’s character and how he collects souvenirs from his adventures.
Rach W
Mar 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Love the focus on gladiators - I would have rated this more but I felt the ending was too kind for the time period-I understand it is for kids, but it didn’t feel true to the story itself for me. But still enlightening and interesting!
Joanne
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 7 yr. old grandson loves these time travel books! We FaceTime read them together.
Jillian Heise
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun transitional chapter book series! Love the various historical settings, the heart and empathy, and especially the sweet Golden Retriever.
retrieverfever
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good book both Ranger in times made me in the book felling all of it
Maria Gross
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sara Bennett
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great Ranger In Time adventure. My girls enjoyed reading from it every night before bed. 🐶
Bernadette
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great series for historical fiction. Brings facts to life in a narrative. I’ll be looking for these titles as we learn about the places that Ranger goes to!
Brandon
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. Rome is a fascinating place. I enjoyed the gladiators and simple story.
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
great series of books about history - read aloud to Daniel in 2nd or 3rd grade
Daniel
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
great book for young readers - learning about history in a fun way - through a dog who travels back in time to help out kids in need
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle (The Princess in Black, #7)
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • I Survived the American Revolution, 1776 (I Survived, #15)
  • Saving the Sun Dragon (Dragon Masters #2)
  • Secret of the Water Dragon (Dragon Masters #3)
  • Polar Bears Past Bedtime (Magic Tree House, #12)
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107
  • Rise of the Earth Dragon (Dragon Masters, #1)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)
  • Vacation Under the Volcano (Magic Tree House, #13)
  • The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime
  • Roar of the Thunder Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #8)
  • The 65-Storey Treehouse
Kate Messner is an award-winning author, TED 2012 speaker, and former middle school English teacher. Her books for kids include THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z.,SUGAR AND ICE, and EYE OF THE STORM (Walker/Bloomsbury Dec. 2010) the MARTY MCGUIRE series (Scholastic), SEA MONSTER'S FIRST DAY, and OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW (Chronicle, Books). Kate also wrote SPITFIRE and CHAMPLAIN AND THE SILENT ONE, bot ...more

Ranger in Time (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Long Road to Freedom (Ranger in Time #3)
  • Race to the South Pole (Ranger in Time, #4)
  • Journey through Ash and Smoke (Ranger in Time #5)
  • Escape from the Great Earthquake (Ranger in Time #6)
  • D-Day: Battle on the Beach (Ranger in Time #7)
  • Hurricane Katrina Rescue (Ranger in Time, #8)
  • Disaster on the Titanic (Ranger in Time, #9)
  • Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time, #10)
  • Escape from the Twin Towers (Ranger in Time #11)