Start by marking “Bowery Boys” as Want to Read:
Bowery Boys

Bowery Boys

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
When his father is framed for murder, immigrant son Nikolaus McGovern rallies together a motley crew of street youths in a rip-roaring coming-of-age adventure based on the period history of antebellum New York City! Set against the backdrop of rampant political corruption, vicious street gangs, nascent labor reform and ardent xenophobia--can Niko and his friends triumph in ...more
Published August 18th 2015 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Bowery Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bowery Boys

Stewart Tame
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This was fun and all, but a bit on the forgettable side. I keep wishing I were more excited about it. It's a setting and a type of story that we don't often see in comics, or at least I haven't.

Anyway, the story is set in 1850s New York. Tammany Hall holds sway, the labor movement is in its infancy … Young Nikolaus McGovern’s father is framed for murder after organizing a strike. The story is about the machinations leading to his arrest, and the lengths his son will go to to have him freed.

The
Amy!
MEEEEEHHHHH. I did not love the art, first of all, which reminded me, in a bad way, of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1. I can appreciate the work that went into it, because it was VERY detailed, and I liked the general sepia tone feeling of the colors, but all the overwrought wrinkles and boils and zits and gnarliness of the adult characters was just...too much. Plus it was just a little gorey for my tastes; I can deal with some gore, but there was a lot of just ridiculous violence ...more
George Ilsley
At times excellent; but there were plot strands which did not interweave nicely with the rest. Ultimately I was a little disappointed, because it starts off strong.
Rachel Pendlebury
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was not that impressed with the graphics or the story.
Jan-Michael Archer
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a handful of chapters to get used to the art style and then, once I did, it changed!
Jason Ragle
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Got this manly for the artist (Ian Bertram) as I had not heard of the writer. Of course a fill in artist does half of issue four and all of five. Meh.
Shannon Monahan
Feb 12, 2017
Martin Lund
Dec 28, 2016
Kim
rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2018