Start by marking “Blood on Snow (Blood on Snow, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood on Snow (Blood on Snow, #1)

Blood on Snow (Blood on Snow #1)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  16,587 Ratings  ·  1,853 Reviews
From the internationally acclaimed author of the Harry Hole novels—a fast, tight, darkly lyrical stand-alone novel that has at its center the perfectly sympathetic antihero: an Oslo contract killer who draws us into an unexpected meditation on death and love.

This is the story of Olav: an extremely talented “fixer” for one of Oslo’s most powerful crime bosses. But Olav is
Hardcover, American Edition, 207 pages
Published April 7th 2015 by Knopf (first published October 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Blood on Snow, please sign up.
Shawn Interesting reaction. This is classic noir, folks. Complex, ruthless hitman with the capacity to love. Troubled background. Femme fatale, Rival crime…moreInteresting reaction. This is classic noir, folks. Complex, ruthless hitman with the capacity to love. Troubled background. Femme fatale, Rival crime bosses. Dark, shadowy streets. You can all but hear the mournful sax serenading the snowflakes. Nods to Andrew Vachss, Jim Thompson, and Dashiell Hammet. Really good stuff. I thought his little experiment with the first person narrative was his most lyrical novel(la?) yet. In such a few pages, Nesbo created one of the most complex characters in his oeurve. I can't say that I would have paid the full $23.95 for this book (I bought it $0.01 on Amazon), but I can say that all the negative feedback is a bit overdone. Glad I took the chance on it and didn't pay attention to all shrill criticism. Could it have been marketed differently? Sure. probably should have been a selection in a collection of Nesbo novellas. But was it a great story? Absolutely. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Robert
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Evgnossia O'Hara
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Can someone explain to me what happened in this story?
Diane
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This was my first Nesbø book, so I didn't know what to expect. It's a fast read, but it felt like a first draft of a novella, rather than a completed work.

Blood on Snow is the story of a "fixer" named Olav, which means he's a contract killer. Olav has a dry sense of humor and says killing is the only thing he's good at.

"To sum up, let's put it like this: I'm no good at driving slowly, I'm way too soft, I fall in love far too easily, I lose my head when I get angry, and I'm bad at math. I've re
Lyn
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A hit man with a heart.

A Norwegian hit man to be more exact. From the best-selling author of the fabulously well to do Harry Hole series, Jo “I can write like Mickey Spillane when I want to” Nesbo, his 2014 fast paced novella (translated into Murican by Neil Smith) is a fun departure from his Hole mystery writing.

Not a Scandinavian murder mystery, but most definitely still Nordic Noir. This is a dark and gritty journey into underworld Oslo. Set in the late 70s, Nesbo leads us into the shadowy wo
Mark
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Blood on Snow is a novella by Norwegian crime author Jo Nesbo.

Olav is a hitman, that's all he can be. A life of crime and some pimping have left his options limited. Why a hitman? Well, he's no good at driving a getaway car, no good at maths, is dyslexic so reading and writing are major issues - but he is a practical man, knows the game well and he's a survivor.

His boss is the runner of half of the empire of heroin in Norway. The other half is run by the 'fisherman', as with most crime parties,
James Thane
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This relatively slim novel is a stand-alone from Jo Nesbo, the creator of the great series featuring Norwegian homicide detective Harry Hole. The protagonist is a contract killer named Olav who works for a crime boss in Oslo. Olav is one of the best "fixers" in the business and approaches his work with a cold-blooded efficiency until he is given the job of killing a woman who has taken a lover, thus infuriating her husband.

In preparation for the hit, Olav watches the woman for several days from
Michael
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, noir, norway, thriller
A surprisingly satisfying tale of a hitman with a human heart and the capacity to take risks out of love and an emerging sense of justice. This stand-alone novella from the author of the popular series about Norwegian detective Harry Hole gives you the interior view of the minimalist life of Olav, who has the job as “fixer” for a powerful gangster in Oslo. He acquired the position by default after inadequacies in other positions such as pimp or getaway driver. The few people he had to kill were ...more
Brandon
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Hard Case Crime
Shelves: 2015, ebook, fiction, noir
My first experience with Jo Nesbo came about two years ago when I received his first Harry Hole novel, The Bat, as a gift. Honestly, I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. I found that the story was all over the map like a dysfunctional GPS. However, when I heard he had recently released a stand-alone thriller*, I thought I would give him another shot. I’m glad I did.

Blood on Snow tells the story of Olav, a “fixer” for a heroin dealer in Olso. When a job goes awry, Olav becomes his boss’ targ
Carol
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
An enjoyable (and very dark) read with a sympathetic anti-hero.
Gary
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the 1st book in the 'Blood on Snow' series by Jo Nesbo.
The lead character Olav Johansen is a seasoned criminal with a sordid past and whose one success in life is as a 'fixer'. He is employed by the drug baron Daniel Hoffmann to kill his wife Corina Hoffman who he suspects of adultery. While casing the proposed crime Olav becomes infatuated by Corina and his plan changes when he witnesses the abusive lover and decides he is a more deserving victim. This decision has life threatening cons
Greg
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I never went and looked through Jo Nesbo’s page of books he had written on Goodreads, and I only know him because of his Harry Hole novels, but he writes other books, too.

Some of those are a series of books for kids that revolve around farting.

And he also has this stand alone novel that was written under a pseudonym and is being released this spring.

I’ve only read one of Nesbo’s books before, so I’m not all that familiar with how his novels go. But the one that I read was a fairly dense and in
Wilma
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bij de eerste zin dacht ik...in wat voor kinderlijk verhaal ben ik nu weer belandt? Toch echt een goede 'Nesbo'...!! Ik hou van zijn eenvoudige, ingenieuze en rauwe schrijfstijl...nu lezend in het tweede deel...wordt vervolgd!
Rachel Hall
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never having been introduced to the legendary Harry Hole or having read Jo Nesbo before I had few preconceptions ahead of reading Blood on Snow and hence for me, meeting "fixer" Olav in this clever noir thriller was an unexpected delight. A contract killer with a soft-centre might sound mutually exclusive but that is until readers meet Olav who narrates this short offering set in the brutal chill of a pre-Christmas Olso in 1976. Protagonist and anti-hero, Olav, has worked for Daniel Hoffmann for ...more
Parastoo Ashtian
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
چه چیزی باعث میشود متوجه بشویم که خواهیم مرد؟ در آن روزی که میپذیریم مرگ فقط احتمال نیست، بلکه واقعیت نحسی است که از آن گریزی نیست، چه اتفاقی میافتد؟ بدیهی است که هر شخص منطق خودش را دارد، اما در مورد من دیدن مرگ پدرم بود. دیدم که چقدر پیش پاافتاده و عینی است، درست مثل مگسی که به شیشه جلوی ماشین میخورد. در واقع جالبتر از آن اینکه وقتی به این درک رسیدیم، چه چیز باعث میشود دوباره شک کنیم؟ چون باهوشتر شدهایم؟ مثل آن فیلسوفی که اسمش دیوید نمیدانم چی بود و نوشته بود اگر چیزی چند بار اتفاق بیفتد، بدین ...more
Sandra
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic, 2016
Not as captivating as the Harry Hole series. Still good, cause Nesbø.

3.5*
Daiva
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The storytelling, characters, descriptions, dialogues and whole action somehow reminded me of Quentin Tarantino movies. Also, quite broken, disturbed, psychotic characters seems to be Nesbo forte. I liked Olav, the main character, the'fixer' who falls in love too easily, which also seems to be his biggest weakness.

I would not say the book is among my favorites but I definitely enjoyed all aspects of it. I can move on to part 2 now.
Anastasia ^^
3.5 αστέρια κατ' ακρίβεια

Τι τέλος ήταν αυτό; Αγκ...
Καταρχάς, νομίζω ότι αξίζει να διαβαστεί για το τέλος. Μου άρεσαν οι σκηνές δράσεις, ο Νεσμπο σε κάνει να είχαι χωμένος στο κάθισμα της πολυθρόνας, να τρως τα νύχια σου και να ανυπομονείς για την συνέχεια. Γλυκές ανατροπές που μπορούσες να τις προβλέψεις αμυδρά.

Το μόνο που δεν μου άρεσε ήταν στην αρχή ο "ερωτας με την πρώτη ματιά" καθόλου πειστικός και αρκετά πλαστός. Επίσης, δεν φαινόταν σαν ένα καλογραμμένο έργο αλλά κάτι γρήγορο και κάπως πρ
Mandy
My first Nesbo read and I really enjoyed the style. Looking forward to reading the Harry Hole series next
George K.
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Το μικρό αυτό βιβλιαράκι, που περισσότερο σε μεγάλη νουβέλα φέρνει παρά σε μυθιστόρημα, θα έλεγα ότι είναι μια προσπάθεια του Νέσμπο να μιμηθεί κατά κάποιο τρόπο τα αμερικάνικα αστυνομικά παλπ παλαιότερων δεκαετιών, αλλά και ταινίες στο στιλ Ταραντίνο. Σαν λάτρης και των δυο, μπορώ να πω ότι τα κατάφερε μια χαρά, δεν ξέρω όμως πως θα φανεί σε όσους λατρεύουν τον Νέσμπο ελέω Χάρι Χόλε.

Το σενάριο απλό: Βρισκόμαστε στα μέσα της δεκαετίας του '70, στο Όσλο της Νορβηγίας. Ο Ούλαφ Γιόχανσεν είναι ένα
John
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quite different from other work by Nesbo that I've read, this short novel is a psychological thriller about an Oslo hitman ("fixer"), Olav.

Olav guesses that his life is going to go all to hell when his crime-kingpin boss, Hoffmann, tells him his new commission is to fix Hoffmann's trophy second wife, Corina, who's been having an affair. As soon as Olav sees Corina, though, he's consumed by love/lust for her, and on impulse he fixes the boyfriend instead. What he doesn't realize at the time is th
Linda
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Least favorite Nesbo book. Would never have started following this author if I'd read this one first.
Arezu Wishka
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مدت ها بود از خوندن یه داستان جنایی عشقی انقدر لذت نبرده بودم. به لطف اپلیکیشن واوخوان و صدای فوق العاده ایوب آقاخانی این لذت نصیبم شد. ایوب آقاخانی رو از رادیو نمایش می شناختم. طوری اجرا می کنه که هر جا اسمش رو ببینم بدون شک سراغ کارهاش می رم.
داستان هم روون و جذاب روایت می شه و شخصیت اول داستان ژان وال ژان کتاب بینوایان رو الگوی خودش کرده و سعی می کنه کسی رو بکشه که به نظرش حقشه.
Mark
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Nesbo
This is a really short book and before you know it you are looking at the last page and are wondering where time went. But honestly the story does not really stretches too long and neither does it outstay it welcome.

The book is about a fixer/killer who is rather decent at his job but has too much of a good heart. It is this that makes him make a fatal mistake during one of his contacts that changes the game for him.

The leading character is a limited one and not really that interesting, the story
Krbo
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jedan od kraćih Joovih uradaka.

Jako lijepo napisano no zašto samo dvojka?

Ako gledamo kako je napisano, onda je za četvorku no imam osobni problem s prihvaćanjem visokih ocjena prema djelu koje bi nam kao glavnog lika s kojim bi se trebali sroditi daje patološkog ubojicu.

Ima on 202 problema i vabi poneku sućut na kratko dok se ne sjetim kako je mračni ubojica koji za sitne pare rješava ljude života zbog bezveznih stvari...

Jebi ga Jø.

No 40ºC na plaži svašta može izgurati u okršaju s mravima koji o
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου

Well, I have to be honest here... This book isn't like the Harry Hole series and I thought that I wasn't going to like it... BUT... It was a very good book for different reasons! I liked the main hero because he is not usual at all. He is smart in his own way and I love the way he thinks of everything! I can't believe that I am saying this for an assassin but he's an amazing character. With many faults, a hard life and some questionable decisions. I gave it 4 stars because I wanted to be longer
Luanne Ollivier
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed every adult book Jo Nesbo has written. His Harry Hole novels are a favourite. But I've also enjoyed the stand alones - including his newest book - Blood on Snow.

1976 Oslo, Norway. Olav has worked for crime syndicate boss Daniel Hoffmann for a number of years. But, it took him a bit to find the right job within the organization. He turned out to be no good as a pimp, a getaway driver, a robber or a drug dealer. But....he found his niche as a fixer. Olav doesn't fix things -
Sofia
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Poignant

Our "hero's" chosen path does not let me rest easy and have good hopes for him. The thing is, I think the word 'chosen' here is not correct. Nesbo shows us bit by bit how uncorrect it is. Ok the buck always stops with us and we pay the price for each choice we make but what I'm saying is that life loads the dice against us some times and what might logically seem to be the best choice is not the one we make because of a myriad of other thoughts, circumstances that bugs us and trip us.

So
Brenda H
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olav is a fixer. He doesn’t mind killing.

Olav is a perfectly sympathetic anti-hero. As ruthless as he is in killing, he has a large capacity for love. As he goes about his job of killing for one of Oslo’s most powerful crime bosses, he tells the story of the deaf, mute girl that he loves. She doesn’t know but he visits the grocery store where she works and then rides the train that takes her home – just so he can see and be near her.

His boss hires him to kill his new young wife, Corina, which pu
Skip
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Really a novella. Olav, the main character is a talented “fixer” for one of Oslo’s most powerful crime bosses. He has fallen into this job, but failing at most others for various reasons, such as dyslexia and a tender heart. His boss orders Olav to kill his wife, and things get very strange as Olav disobeys orders and finds himself caught in the cross-hairs of Oslo's underworld. I did not care for the ending. My advise is to stick with Nesbo's Harry Hole series.
Jase Brown
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd been craving a Nesbø fix and this did the trick nicely without having to immerse myself in the world of Hole. As much as I love Nesbø's main crime series, in the height of summer this was a perfect light read.
Matt
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Moving away from the Harry Hole series, Nesbø offers up this novella whose protagonist sits on the other side of the law. Meet Olav Johansen, a criminal with a sordid past, who has come to learn that he is good at only one thing, being a 'fixer'. He's employed by Oslo's drug kingpin, Daniel Hoffmann. When Olav is sent to dispose of Hoffmann's wife, Corina, a purported adulteress, he thinks it will be as easy as his other 'jobs', but things turn problematic. Olav does his own reconnaissance, whic ...more
Crime, Mysteries ...: 0716 - Blood on Snow (July & Aug) 23 78 Oct 02, 2016 11:58AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo 5 50 Sep 29, 2015 03:57PM
High Point Public...: Final Thoughts 1 19 Jun 03, 2015 08:28AM
High Point Public...: Main Character(s) 1 7 May 27, 2015 08:16AM
High Point Public...: Initial Thoughts 2 14 May 27, 2015 08:14AM
Men's Book Club: Blood On Snow, by Jo Nesbo 1 50 Apr 21, 2015 01:20PM
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Den femte årstiden (Malin Fors, #5)
  • An Event in Autumn (Kurt Wallander, #9.5)
  • Synkkä niin kuin sydämeni
  • Where Monsters Dwell (Odd Singsaker, #1)
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • Den siste pilegrimen (Tommy Bergmann, #1)
  • Bad Blood (Intercrime, #2)
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • Closed for Winter (William Wisting #7)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #5)
  • Death of a Nightingale (Nina Borg, #3)
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • Room No. 10 (Inspector Winter, #7)
Jo Nesbø is a bestselling Norwegian author and musician. He was born in Oslo and grew up in Molde. Nesbø graduated from the Norwegian School of Economics with a degree in economics. Nesbø is primarily famous for his crime novels about Detective Harry Hole, but he is also the main vocals and songwriter for the Norwegian rock band Di Derre. In 2007 Nesbø also released his first children's book, Dokt ...more
More about Jo Nesbø

Blood on Snow (2 books)
  • Midnight Sun (Blood on Snow, #2)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“Dán několikrát zatočil vlasy, jedním krokem se odrazil, rozmáchl se paží podél těla jako hráč bowlingu a hlavu pustil. Plachtila vzhůru s vlasy rozevlátými, ale v příliš příkrém úhlu, takže zasáhla strop, odrazila se opět na schody a kutálela se zpátky k nám s křupáním, jako když lžičkou rozbíjíte skořápku vajíčka natvrdo.
„Musím jenom pořádně zamířit,“ zamumlal Dán, hlavu zas popadl, srovnal si nohy, pro lepší soustředění zavřel oči a přitom se několikrát zhluboka nadechl. Došlo mi, že psychicky je to teď se mnou na hraně, protože jsem se málem rozesmál. Pak Dán oči otevřel, udělal dva kroky vpřed a rozmáchl se. Uvolnil úchop. Čtyři a půl kila lidské lebky vykroužily pěkný oblouk k vrcholu schodiště, dopadly na podlahu a my jsme slyšeli, jak hlava poskakuje a kutálí se chodbou.”
3 likes
“And, according to that Hume guy, the fact that I had until now woken up every morning in the same body, into the same world, where what had happened had actually happened, was no guarantee that the same thing would happen again tomorrow morning.” 1 likes